Feels like Pick 9 is no-mans land

9 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Fair enough. But good evaluators can have different views.

I mean, Daniel Jeremiah has Hockenson, Christian Wilkins, Josh Jacobs and Devin Bush in the top nine of his big board. And Gary tenth. And that's on a board with no QBs in the top ten.

I like Burns a lot, actually. Maybe I could change my mind a bit. I don't do nearly the work that you appear to do, but I like Jonah Williams quite a bit. I don't know enough about Ferrell to have a sensible opinion.

I like Wilkins and Bush too - wouldn't hate either of those. Wouldn't be a big fan of Hock and definitely not Jacobs (isn't even my RB1).  My big board only has 3 true first round grades on offense and Jonah is one of them, so I do like him (Murray and Taylor are the others). Then I have Haskins, Hock and Cody Ford as borderline 1st/2nds.

EDIT: and totally agree good evaluators can have different views and I think DJ is an outstanding evaluator. Big Boards and mocks are different though. That is another point worth making. I still like Greedy Williams a lot too and I know that would be an unpopular pick on the board as a whole but I could get behind it.

Edited by GunnerBill

1 hour ago, ColoradoBills said:

I think too many people are way overthinking the draft.

DL has not been addressed in FA (yet).

Beane knows the draft has a lot of DLs early.  He has an early pick.

Odds are he picks a DL at #9.

Hock is an option. Devin White is an option. WR is an option. I think we're going BPA... Hard to say who it will be, there's 8 teams in front of us with a mind of their own.

42 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

What if only one Quarterback goes? Still think we are definitely getting a shot at one of those three (not that I'd love the Taylor pick personally).

I see the first 8 position players off the board as: Bosa, Oliver, Q. Williams, Allen, White, Gary, Sweat and Taylor. To get one of those to drop we need Haskins (or Lock but that is unlikely in my mind) to go before our pick.

So are you assuming Murray does not go #1? Picking 9 means one of those 8 players you listed is available if 1 QB goes.  I do not see any way at least 1 QB is not picked before us.  

If it gets to pick 9 and all 8 of the position players mentioned are gone - I then think we are getting a lot of action for QB needy teams looking to get ahead of Denver.

My issue with pick 9 is that there are 6 or 7 of those 8 guys that I think are great fits and it could easily be we are left with 1 or 2 guys like Taylor, Sweat, or Gary that are high ranked, but may not be ideal and the top QBs are gone leaving us with lots of choices, but maybe not the consensus guy.

30 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Hard to see a scenario where one of Bosa, Q Williams, Josh Allen, or Oliver makes it to pick 9.  Even if Devin White and 2 QB’s go before us and Jax takes an O Lineman, Detroit probably takes whoever drops.  Probably need 3 QB’s to go before us to land one of the 4 premier DL.  

I could easily see Oliver fall, myself. I think his size might bother someone easily.

If two teams go QB above us, that would leave only three teams to not go QB (Murray and Haskins?), Bosa, Quinnen and Josh Allen) in the top eight for Oliver to fall. Taylor, Sweat, Gary and White could all slip in there very reasonably, IMO.

4 minutes ago, NewDayBills said:

Hock is an option. Devin White is an option. WR is an option. I think we're going BPA... Hard to say who it will be, there's 8 teams in front of us with a mind of their own.

I think we're going BPA too, but Beane has made it clear that sometimes BPA strategy can include a trade, though again, they'd put together a ton of draft capital for last year's drafts in expectation of trading up for a QB. And there are honest differences about who is BPA at any given point.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

It seems like we go through this "hand wringing" exercise every year.  We all try to project what other teams above us will do and fret over the players that remain.  It is good to remember that there are always unpredicted moves made by teams.  Last year it was Cleveland taking a CB with pick #4 instead of B. Chubb.  Some GM's who are on the hot seat will select a player strictly for need and some will have players ranked differently than the popular opinions. The over drafting of QB's helps as well.  When I look at the top 25 players, we could do alright with about 12 of them at pick #9.  I have confidence that Beane and company will play their hand well to get a player that they value and get some extra draft capital if they have the chance.  None of these players are a sure thing.  I remember being pleased with the Dareus selection and we all know how that turned out.

Teams with weak rosters have a propensity to trade down in round 1 to gain picks in rounds 2 and 3.  They also tend to move around on day two to fill specific holes.  I don't see the Bills locked into this approach.  Beane has great flexibility this year and it is going to be fun to watch.  It's been a long time since Buffalo has had a GM as capable and daring as Beane.

• Like (+1) 3

5 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

So are you assuming Murray does not go #1? Picking 9 means one of those 8 players you listed is available if 1 QB goes.  I do not see any way at least 1 QB is not picked before us.  

If it gets to pick 9 and all 8 of the position players mentioned are gone - I then think we are getting a lot of action for QB needy teams looking to get ahead of Denver.

My issue with pick 9 is that there are 6 or 7 of those 8 guys that I think are great fits and it could easily be we are left with 1 or 2 guys like Taylor, Sweat, or Gary that are high ranked, but may not be ideal and the top QBs are gone leaving us with lots of choices, but maybe not the consensus guy.

Ah good point Rochester. My maths was off. I do think Murray goes #1. 

6 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

Doh!! Missed that. Good question for you, Bill. If one QB goes above us, which of those other eight is most likely to fall in your opinion, Bill.

EDIT: Ah, you already answered while I typed.

Edited by Thurman#1

54 minutes ago, tombstone56 said:

I see the Bills looking at either Allen or Sweat .as their favorites , the likely need a trade up for either, if unable to get them I see a trade down if possible, then DK Metcalf , Hockenson , Ferguson are possible,

my thinking is the likely picks are still  Montez Sweat in 1st. Dexter Lawrence in second, Moreau,Ridley, or Irv Smith jr. in third

my my wish list is  Josh Allen!!!!!!  2.0

and 

Jaylon Ferguson,  Dexter Lawrence, Dalton Risner, Benny Snell jr. , Riley Ridley ,Olive Sagapolu, Dru  Samia, Micheal Dieter,  Max Crosby, Carl Gunderson.

give me a combination with those guys and I am smiling .! And yes I would trade a Ist next year to get Allen! 

Damn, he looks so good the way he plays. Finishing off blocks. Catching the ball etc. Seems like a McDermott type. I know D Line is a need but I have to say I would not be disappointed if we went to Hockenson. The thought of someone like him as an option for Allen is exciting. 

• Like (+1) 1

I like trading back and getting another 2nd rounder if we can.  Should be able to get a top 5 player on the OL, DL, and TE/RB/WR, with  3 of the first 50 picks.

Edited by joevan
  • Like (+1) 1

I agree with several responses saying not to over think this. We still need Kyle's replacement and Oliver would be perfect.  If they choose Hock which would also be a solid pick, you can try to trade back in the late 1st and target Tillery. And the least probable scenario would be a small trade down.  We have plenty of options. 

22 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Ah good point Rochester. My maths was off. I do think Murray goes #1. 

I thought I had seen that in other discussions.  

I have done a ton of thought drafts and studies and always at least one of those guys dropped.  Even still I had to do the math over to make sure I was not missing something.

I think pick 9 really pushes the end of the top line talent and although we are going to get a good player it may not be the best team fit player simply because it is what is left.  That is why I am dying to see the Bills true board as I would love to know how they have these guys tier ranked compared to you and I and any other mock people.

• Like (+1) 1

Obviously, some in the pool (3-5) will be gone if Buffalo trades down.  From Beane's perspective, his choice depends on his valuation of the players available at 9 versus those he might be picking from in the 12 to 14 range.  Opinions vary on Oliver somewhat, but many think he is a real blue chip prospect, and he may drop to nine, but probably not to the 12-14 range..  Is Beane looking more at Metcalf's freakish athleticism (he also seems to be a humble kid with a great attitude) or his injury, rawness, and limited production?  In the end, the challenge of being a GM is to be able to look at what is, and not what you want it to be, and make the best decision you can given the reality of circumstances.  I don't think Beane wastes too much time lamenting the choices he has available.

Edited by TigerJ

I'm pretty much always happy to trade down, but if we stay at #9, I don't really see any way that we end up in what I would categorize as "no man's land". There's more than 9 good players that would fit positions of need for us.

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

What if only one Quarterback goes? Still think we are definitely getting a shot at one of those three (not that I'd love the Taylor pick personally).

I see the first 8 position players off the board as: Bosa, Oliver, Q. Williams, Allen, White, Gary, Sweat and Taylor. To get one of those to drop we need Haskins (or Lock but that is unlikely in my mind) to go before our pick.

If only 1 QB goes before our pick, we will either take Hock or we will trade back.  A team will want to jump in front of Denver to get a QB.  Prob Wash to get Lock.

2 hours ago, foreboding said:

Unless a blue-chip falls, the Bills are likely to have a pool of players who could just as easily be there at a later pick, 12 or 14. Without some luck (QB who might stir a trade or another Blue chip falls) I do not love our position. 

Personally I really hope Beane either goes for a blue-chip by expending some of this years draft capital or trades down.

I know we have been discussing this in various threads, but what are your thoughts?

Who are your blue chip prospects?

2 hours ago, BuffaloRebound said:

How would you like be in the Giants position?  They clearly need a QB and passed on a bunch last year, and the BPA at 6 will probably be a DL or LB.  

My brother is a Giants fan in CT. Most sources (for what they're worth) are claiming the team is going defense and will ride Eli this year and possibly extend him for next year.

22 minutes ago, Lurker said:

I can see Green Bay trading up for Hock.   He's be the perfect weapon for Rogers...

Rodgers is not a big thrower to tight ends and LeFleur's background isn't full of offenses that use them. Think Green Bay would have to feel he is clearly the best offensive weapon in the draft to go that way. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, foreboding said:

Unless a blue-chip falls, the Bills are likely to have a pool of players who could just as easily be there at a later pick, 12 or 14. Without some luck (QB who might stir a trade or another Blue chip falls) I do not love our position. 

Personally I really hope Beane either goes for a blue-chip by expending some of this years draft capital or trades down.

I know we have been discussing this in various threads, but what are your thoughts?

We'll be just fine.  We may not have the best pick at 9 but I feel like we have the best picker in Brandon Beane.  But don't take my word for it...

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

We'll be just fine.  We may not have the best pick at 9 but I feel like we have the best picker in Brandon Beane.  But don't take my word for it...

Oddball...great movie, great clip.  Also liked, "We have a loudspeaker here, and when we go into battle we play music, very loud. It kind of... calms us down."

Amazing to think that since 2006, the Bills have entered the first round picking between 8 and 12 in ten out of thirteen years.  That's some consistency.  And those picks ended up as Whitner, Lynch, McKelvin, Maybin, Spiller and Gilmore.  They traded out of their pick in 2013, 2014, and 2017.   

3 hours ago, NewDayBills said:

I know what you are saying.  I'm saying with the amount of DL talent in the top10 and a perceived need for DL it has a good chance of being a DL selection.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

I think too many people are way overthinking the draft.

DL has not been addressed in FA (yet).

Beane knows the draft has a lot of DLs early.  He has an early pick.

Odds are he picks a DL at #9.

You are probably spot on.  This is especially if more than one QB goes within the top 8.  The Bills should have a very good pick where they sit.  

4 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

You are probably spot on.  This is especially if more than one QB goes within the top 8.  The Bills should have a very good pick where they sit.  

Watching the picks come of the board will be a lot of fun this year.

Last year it was nuts with QB issue.