Can you think of a TV show that's blown you away from very beginning to very end?

7 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Not for any dramas I've seen.  Breaking Bad was the closest but they replaced a great villain (Gus) with the generic villains of neo-nazis in Season 5 seemed like lazy writing.  Sacrificing himself to save Jesse seemed too perfect to be true.  The caveat I'll add is the theory that Season 5 was all a dream that Walter White had and what we saw the final few episodes was the best possible way to make amends for the damage he caused.  Still damn entertaining and engaging though.  Peaky Blinders is a great series but it went all Oceans 11 on us in the 4th season.

Comedies are a different animal as they aren't as reliant on a linear story.  All in the Family, Cheers, Seinfeld (I liked the last episode damn it), Curb, and MASH were relatively strong throughout.

The exception to this, at least so far, is The Good Place.

Great show so far and it's a completely linear story--although in some ways, you can argue it's completely non-linear, but that's part of the fun of the storyline.  Absolutely laugh out loud funny throughout.  But it just finished its 3rd season and I'm starting to wonder how many more seasons this show can stretch itself out.

• Like (+1) 1

I would say most really good TV shows that I have enjoyed I have enjoyed for their entire duration.

Sopranos, GOT, Northern Exposure, Twin Peaks, Breaking Bad, Six Feet Under....to name just a few off the top of my head.

Sure, some episodes are better than others and sometimes entire seasons can be a little below par, but it's still all good for the most part.

The only show that I really enjoyed which was very inconsistent along the way was LOST.  I went from loving it, to being annoyed by it, to questioning how good it was, to sort of liking it again.  

Without question, the creators of that show did not envision such a long run, and relatively early on went off the initial outline for the show.  They were making it up as they went along and it suffers for that.

2 hours ago, shrader said:

That's why these streaming services are so great.  I can see how someone would have fallen off of Breaking Bad if they had to watch that on a weekly basis.  That pilot was balls to the wall, but then it slowed significantly for the character development episodes.  Getting to watch all that development in one sitting as opposed to stretching it out over a month or two?  Sign me up.  That's how I watched the show since I only had basic cable when it originally aired.  Better Call Saul is good, but with how long it's drawn out, I really wish I had just waited for the entire series to be finished before watching it.

I like Better Call Saul better than Breaking Bad... and that's saying a lot.  It's absolutely much more of a slow burn than Breaking Bad, but I'm loving it.  The acting, directing, and storytelling is everyone on their A-game in that show.

1 hour ago, teef said:

mind hunter on netflix really made me tingle down there.  i know they just finished recording the second season in december, so we're due for another season this year.

Is that good? 

Honestly the biggest reason I saw that and was interested is because I saw Olivia (don't know the actress's name) from Fringe is one of the main characters in that show and she was awesome in Fringe.

Plus, I liked Criminal Minds--up until the main guy punched some guy on set and got kicked off the show--and Mindhunter kinda looked like Criminal Minds, though maybe less of a procedural.

57 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

I like Better Call Saul better than Breaking Bad... and that's saying a lot.  It's absolutely much more of a slow burn than Breaking Bad, but I'm loving it.  The acting, directing, and storytelling is everyone on their A-game in that show.

Is that good? 

Honestly the biggest reason I saw that and was interested is because I saw Olivia (don't know the actress's name) from Fringe is one of the main characters in that show and she was awesome in Fringe.

Plus, I liked Criminal Minds--up until the main guy punched some guy on set and got kicked off the show--and Mindhunter kinda looked like Criminal Minds, though maybe less of a procedural.

it's incredible.  i can't even remember how i stumbled onto it in the first place, but i couldn't wait to get home and get through another hour.  i'm giddy for the second season.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

I would say most really good TV shows that I have enjoyed I have enjoyed for their entire duration.

Sopranos, GOT, Northern Exposure, Twin Peaks, Breaking Bad, Six Feet Under....to name just a few off the top of my head.

Sure, some episodes are better than others and sometimes entire seasons can be a little below par, but it's still all good for the most part.

The only show that I really enjoyed which was very inconsistent along the way was LOST.  I went from loving it, to being annoyed by it, to questioning how good it was, to sort of liking it again.  

Without question, the creators of that show did not envision such a long run, and relatively early on went off the initial outline for the show.  They were making it up as they went along and it suffers for that.

Did you watch season 3 of Twin Peaks? Uses real time and picks up 25 (26?) years after season 2. Reviews were excellent, some publications named it the best TV show of 2017. Much as I loved seasons 1 & 2, I stopped watching season 3 half way through the second episode. Guess my mind just isn't in the same place as it was in my 30's.  Who would have guessed?

It only lasted 10 episodes but there was a show a few years ago called Those Who Kill with Chole Savigny which was great. It got bounced around different networks but had a Silence of the Lambs vibe in a weekly show. I'm not sure if can find it anywhere for free but if so I highly recommend it.

Edited by The Jokeman

7 hours ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

This has to have been the worst decision in the history of television. I watched the episode, and I get what they were trying to do. A parody of the traditional American sitcom. But literally, any historic figure in history, good or evil, would have been a better choice than Adolf Hitler. 

I can't believe you a actually saw it. Btw, they are all one episode and canceled shows. In fact, Turn-On, which was developed as a sexier and more political Laugh-In, was pulled off the air after the first commercial by the ABC affiliate in Cleveland. 

Since we broached into comedy, I have to throw Fawlty Towers into the mix.  It's not for everyone; you kinda have to have that gene that makes you 'get' British comedies but it is Cleese's finest work.  I know every single line and nuance and I still laugh my ass off.  There were only 12 episodes but they absolutely nailed every single one.  

1 hour ago, coloradobillsfan said:

Since we broached into comedy, I have to throw Fawlty Towers into the mix.  It's not for everyone; you kinda have to have that gene that makes you 'get' British comedies but it is Cleese's finest work.  I know every single line and nuance and I still laugh my ass off.  There were only 12 episodes but they absolutely nailed every single one.  

Also notable is the fact I believe 4 years passed between the first and second series.  Rather than rush into a second series, Cleese and Booth waited until they had the material and time to make a worthy product. 

The Brady Bunch. The TV show, not those d-bags up in Foxboro.

Marcia was the bomb.

Appearances by Joe Namath, Deacon Jones and Don Drysdale. And Don freaking Ho!

Five year run that didn't overstay it's welcome and set the standard for every other show mentioned so far. Pretenders.

2 minutes ago, Augie said:

The Mary Tyler Moore Show. Funny as hell. Plus, I was young and the hormones were blooming. Can you blame me? 

No need to explain.  I think we all loved Ted Knight.

• Haha (+1) 6

On 2/25/2019 at 5:36 PM, transplantbillsfan said:

I recommended the show Breaking Bad to a friend because I loved that show.  She finished all 5 seasons--not surprisingly--in about a week and a half.

But she was upset about the ending.  I won't spoil things about the show for those who haven't seen it, but she felt that it wasn't an "honest ending."  

Personally, I disagree in general.  I loved that show from the very beginning to the very end.  I think it did exactly what it was trying to do.

But it got me thinking about TV shows in general.  Most of them are about the journey, not the destination.  That's why I feel like endings of a lot of these shows are kinda awkward, almost like the creator is fumbling for an ending--Seinfeld!!!  

Fringe is one of my all time favorite shows.  But the last season and a half were just weird... you could tell the creator just had the foundational ideas for the show planned, not the ending.

Lost was gripping up until a certain point, at which point the same thing Fringe suffered from seemed to happen.

Love The Walking Dead, but I'm really just losing interest at this point.  There have been a couple opportunities in the last season or so to just end it and wrap everything up well.  Haven't even picked it back up since it started again a few weeks ago.

The Blacklist is another show I really like, but it's starting to suffer from the same problems, though I'll see where it goes 'cause it still has a chance.

I'm absolutely loving Better Call Saul, but right now it's at an inflection point, and I'm curious if it wraps itself up into its obvious conclusion this season or if it stretches itself out and falls into the same trap.

Almost the opposite can be said with Game of Thrones, which went from almost a slow-burning big budget TV show for the first 3 or 4 seasons and just felt rushed in its last season, to the point of being outlandish at points... even for a Fantasy show.  And with just 6 episodes left, I'm wondering where it ends, though if the ultimate victor is the character I want it to be, I'll probably be satisfied.

So I guess I'm throwing this out for 2 reasons: 

1) I'm curious if anyone can think of a show that was a knockout from beginning to end.  And that doesn't necessarily mean a happy ending... but it means a perfect, or near-perfect ending for that particular show

and

2) I'm always looking for good shows to watch... so preferably some warnings about spoilers, first  :thumbsup:

Gomorrah. Very real and raw.