Are the Bills satisfied with their current RB's ??

PUNT750

It's seems Shady seems to be in the Bills plans for "19.  Ford and Murphy showed quickness and promise. Chris Ivory ran tough and down hill Sunday.

Do we keep them all - or-  draft a RB like Justice Hill from Oklahoma State in the 2nd Round?  He's 5'10", 190, and runs a 4.47 40. 

I think we will go into next year with what we have knowing that the REAL reason our running game was so bad is the blocking was horrendous

Having said that......I have no doubt we will be looking for guy.....either this year or next.....to be Shady's replacement.  

At the end of the day.....good teams run the ball no matter who is carrying the rock because the RUN BLOCKING is good.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I think we will go into next year with what we have knowing that the REAL reason our running game was so bad is the blocking was horrendous

Having said that......I have no doubt we will be looking for guy.....either this year or next.....to be Shady's replacement.  

At the end of the day.....good teams run the ball no matter who is carrying the rock because the RUN BLOCKING is good.

Its insane to invest in an elite RB.  

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, PlayoffsPlease said:

Yes, a bad strategy, as the actual results show.  Money better spent elsewhere.  

I will say it again.....

Shady WAS the offense of this team....a team that actually went to the playoffs the year before last.

In that situation....if your the only offense of a bad team...you should be getting paid.

• Like (+1) 2

If there is 1 singular player on the Bills offense (in the last 20 years) that deserves the benefit of the doubt it’s Shady. He literally is the biggest reason the drought ended and the best skill position player the Bills have had since the super bowl years. I’m totally fine with giving him a chance to show that this year was a fluke. He is the 1 guy that deserves that.

• Like (+1) 1

Quality running backs can make an impact and I just don’t see anything of quality on our roster at present. Shady looked hesitant and slower most of the year and at his age I just don’t see him getting back to what he once was. The other rbs on our roster are replacement level. It should not be necessary to make a huge investment in the rb position in order to find some quality players. Year after year, rbs drafted in the 3rd round and later are making significant impacts on their teams. I’d like to see a power/inside runner that can close out games and pick up short yardage. I’d also like to see the Bills acquire a pass catching speed back. I suppose Ivory could be the power back if needed but we are definitely lacking the speed back. 

33 minutes ago, racketmaster said:

Quality running backs can make an impact and I just don’t see anything of quality on our roster at present. Shady looked hesitant and slower most of the year and at his age I just don’t see him getting back to what he once was. The other rbs on our roster are replacement level. It should not be necessary to make a huge investment in the rb position in order to find some quality players. Year after year, rbs drafted in the 3rd round and later are making significant impacts on their teams. I’d like to see a power/inside runner that can close out games and pick up short yardage. I’d also like to see the Bills acquire a pass catching speed back. I suppose Ivory could be the power back if needed but we are definitely lacking the speed back. 

I would agree with this if every single RB that played for us did not look the same this year

No holes to run through for a shifty back like LM equals no production

No holes to run through for a power back like Chris Ivory equals very little production

Keith Ford.....the same

Its the offensive line and run blocking that is the problem

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Hoping Josh Jacobs slips to rd 3 where we gladly snag him

Or package our 3rd with a 5th and 7th to get back into the late 2nd. I think he’ll go around 45-60. Mid to late 2nd.

Kid has great size, speed, tough runner and can catch. When he sits down with teams and can understand blitz pickups his stock will go up. Depending on his numbers he may go early 2nd. That’s why I might pass and go with LJ Scott or Darrin Hill rd 4. One of them have to be there early 4th.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

I would agree with this if every single RB that played for us did not look the same this year

No holes to run through for a shifty back like LM equals no production

No holes to run through for a power back like Chris Ivory equals very little production

Keith Ford.....the same

Its the offensive line and run blocking that is the problem

I’m not looking to give the O-line a pass because they were not good this year. But quality running backs can make a difference and we were counting on McCoy to help make the line look better. That never happened this year as his play dropped off significantly. Here is the yards per carry for our rbs who had 20+carries this year. 

Murphy 4.8

Ford 3.8

Ivory 3.3

Mccoy 3.2

Now game flow contribute to some of the difference in yards per carry between McCoy and Murphy but our starting rb was not good enough this year. He finished last amongst our rbs in yards per carry and that is compared to pedestrian runners like Murphy, Ford and Ivory. Too much dancing and not enough explosion to and thru the hole from our top back. I think it is a mistake to bring McCoy back especially at his salary. And at his age I see no reason to think he will be any better next year. 

But the Bills seem to believe in McCoy for some reason so I at least hope that the Bills draft an explosive rb who can also catch and run routes (Lindsay, Cohen type at very least). If they could have a little more power to their game ((Kamara) that would be even better. We may not get as good of players as above but something close would help. And then we could keep Ivory for short yardage if needed or acquire a cheaper alternative. 

If they really believe in Shady (which they shouldn't; the eye test is clear), they may well just roll with these four again. RB isn't a position you have to draft and develop. You can plug and play same-year.

With McCoy we are going to see one more year of frustration as every other team's feature back is faster, more authoritative, and more decisive. McCoy has no juice, and Ivory has little. It would be so easy to upgrade this position, and I just don't understand why McBeane seem to be committed to being stubborn with this position. It could really hold us back.

Edited by The Bills Blog

6 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I would draft a guy in the 4th round and let him battle it out with Ford. With an improved oline Shady & Ivory will be fine. Murphy as 3 on depth. 

yeah RB is not a high draft priority, probably in the 4th or 5th.    Fix the O Line and RB takes care of itself

10 hours ago, PUNT750 said:

It's seems Shady seems to be in the Bills plans for "19.  Ford and Murphy showed quickness and promise. Chris Ivory ran tough and down hill Sunday.

Do we keep them all - or-  draft a RB like Justice Hill from Oklahoma State in the 2nd Round?  He's 5'10", 190, and runs a 4.47 40. 

My guess is they will not open needs for the team - so if someone becomes available at the right price if FA or if a guys drops in the draft - they will add to the stable.  

If they do do not find the value - they can roll with what we have.  

In either case - I imagine by the time training camp rolls around there will be 2-3 more RBs on the roster to supplement those 4 and where they come from will depend on value, but I do not believe they are unhappy with the guys they have.

10 hours ago, PUNT750 said:

At this point, any talk about Shady is just that, TALK!  No doubt Shady has been a contributor but how does that balance with his cap hit?  Time will tell!

There’s no way McCoy is getting paid $6m next year by the Bills or anybody else.  He’ll be lucky to get $3m from somebody.  My guess is Bills cut him after he refuses pay cut, and he either retires when nobody pays him or goes to a contender to chase a ring.  Ivory’s got a slightly better chance of coming back at $2.25m.  That’s still way too much for his production but if Bills draft a RB in first 3 rounds instead of signing a vet like Coleman, maybe they bring Ivory back as a veteran presence.  No way both McCoy and Ivory are back next year.  My guess is Ivory and a trade up into the back half of the 2nd round for a RB.  

12 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

John - I agree we stay with these guys as Murphy is fast and young, we can at least one more good year out of Shady and Ivory with a better line, and the kid didn’t look too bad.  We have to get other parts fixed first on offense, and keep our defensive players.