Kaizen

Dadonkadonk

KW used this word in locker room speech.  

Kaizen (Continuous Improvement) is a strategy where employees at all levels of a company work together proactively to achieve regular, incremental improvements to the manufacturing process. In a sense, it combines the collective talents within a company to create a powerful engine for improvement.

I told you this is all Lean or Toyota Production System methodology McD is using.   Multiple coaches in NFL and College all use it now.  Works in manufacturing and health care.  Let's see if it works in football.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

27 minutes ago, Dadonkadonk said:

Kaizen (Continuous Improvement) is a strategy where employees at all levels of a company work together proactively to achieve regular, incremental improvements to the manufacturing process. In a sense, it combines the collective talents within a company to create a powerful engine for improvement.

I told you this is all Lean or Toyota Production System methodology McD is using.   Multiple coaches in NFL and College all use it now.  Works in manufacturing and health care.  Let's see if it works in football.

Interesting. Toyota's version of a Six Sigma type thing. I'm not big on such management jargon, but if the players buy in, well, then I guess it's working. The thing I hated about Six Sigma when I worked in an organization that embraced it was how unrealistic it was about error rates in a non-mechanized setting. Literally speaking, you'd want to reduce error rates to 3.4 per million opportunities ... in the NFL world, that would be something like no delay of game penalties called in the entire history of the NFL ...

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Interesting. Toyota's version of a Six Sigma type thing. I'm not big on such management jargon, but if the players buy in, well, then I guess it's working. The thing I hated about Six Sigma when I worked in an organization that embraced it was how unrealistic it was about error rates in a non-mechanized setting. Literally speaking, you'd want to reduce error rates to 3.4 per million opportunities ... in the NFL world, that would be something like no delay of game penalties called in the entire history of the NFL ...

Lol...funny I am learning this stuff in my Operations Mangement class

8 hours ago, Dadonkadonk said:

This is a fundamental part of "The Process" that all of those "Process" coaches use.    Get 1% better every day in every way you can.

8 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

In graduate school i had an entire class titled Organizational Behavior, it was a class of never ending business jargon/slogans, i used to call it new age psycho babble for business.

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Dadonkadonk said:

Cool.  I didn't know that KW referred to it yesterday.

I caught on to this last spring when in some press conference McDermott described the process within the entire organization.   It was obviously based on some continuous improvement management philosophy.   

Listen to Belichick, even in the press conferences when he says nothing.  What he says over and over is that they have to get better.   Every day.  

12 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Your tying the Toyota Production System to just Six Sigma.  It'snot done that way anymore, it is Lean Six Sigma.  90% of the time Six Sigma or Lean Six Sigma are implemented incorrectly which is why it fails.  Your environment needed Lean weaved in with Six Sigma to eliminate waste (Lean) , not just defect reduction. 

Sorry, implementing Lean Six Sigma is my work life     

I am a Master Black Belt in Lean Six Sigma and Innovation - go ahead, make the title jokes if you must.   I am always looking at McCoach through a Lean Six Sigma lens.  I always thought it was funny that McCoach called it "the process" instead of "my process" or "our process".  The fact is every team has a process, even Rex.   I was skeptical by this verbiage but McCoach has his documented /mapped which most coaches don't do.  Most importantly McCoach MEASURES his process.   You realize the power of Lean Six Sigma when you map, measure and eliminate the waste and defects in your process.  When I realized McCoach knows what he is doing in his practice of structured problem solving and  data driven decision making was when I heard a response to a media question around the most incorrectly and overused phrase in sports "analytics".  When asked about a specific data point , coached responded with "some data points are more important than others .  That leads me to believe he understands "KPIs = key performance indicators.   Good processes are measured and tweaked to drive their KPIs.   He gets this and it is why he is true to his process.  But know that the process is constantly changing to drive the KPIs.   

Coaching an NFL team means managing a massive amount of variables and  and human error.  Following a structured approach like McCoach is a great way to do it.       

• Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, buffalostu2 said:

Your tying the Toyota Production System to just Six Sigma.  It'snot done that way anymore, it is Lean Six Sigma.  90% of the time Six Sigma or Lean Six Sigma are implemented incorrectly which is why it fails.  Your environment needed Lean weaved in with Six Sigma to eliminate waste (Lean) , not just defect reduction. 

Sorry, implementing Lean Six Sigma is my work life     

The Bills got Lean when they shipped out Captain Dareus’s fat azz. 

13 hours ago, Just Joshin' said:

I am impressed.  There is no reason these techniques should not work in any environment. 

I can see many laughing at "the process" but it's essence is a vision combined with a methodical approach to achieve results.  

The exact opposite of Sexy Rexy's approach

14 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Six Sigma is more involved with eliminating defects of the end product while Kaizen is a continuous process improvement tool geared toward standardization.

Your example of delay of game penalties is definitely a Six Sigma item.  Kaizen could be used lets say in WR route running standardization.

A Kaizen result could be to train all WRs to do something that one WR does real well.

From all my training and experience using these tools many of us have found the US companies tend to fall in love with the tools vs. Asian companies

stress more the culture.  Another way to look at that is US companies usually have "top down" approach while Asian have a "bottom up" approach.

I would be interested in how OBD uses these programs.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, buffalostu2 said:

I am a Master Black Belt in Lean Six Sigma and Innovation - go ahead, make the title jokes if you must.   I am always looking at McCoach through a Lean Six Sigma lens.  I always thought it was funny that McCoach called it "the process" instead of "my process" or "our process".  The fact is every team has a process, even Rex.   I was skeptical by this verbiage but McCoach has his documented /mapped which most coaches don't do.  Most importantly McCoach MEASURES his process.   You realize the power of Lean Six Sigma when you map, measure and eliminate the waste and defects in your process.  When I realized McCoach knows what he is doing in his practice of structured problem solving and  data driven decision making was when I heard a response to a media question around the most incorrectly and overused phrase in sports "analytics".  When asked about a specific data point , coached responded with "some data points are more important than others .  That leads me to believe he understands "KPIs = key performance indicators.   Good processes are measured and tweaked to drive their KPIs.   He gets this and it is why he is true to his process.  But know that the process is constantly changing to drive the KPIs.   

Coaching an NFL team means managing a massive amount of variables and  and human error.  Following a structured approach like McCoach is a great way to do it.       

And it only took 44 years and 11 games this season to figure out that NFL teams can use speed in that process. 

• Haha (+1) 1

7 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

Six Sigma is more involved with eliminating defects of the end product while Kaizen is a continuous process improvement tool geared toward standardization.

Your example of delay of game penalties is definitely a Six Sigma item.  Kaizen could be used lets say in WR route running standardization.

A Kaizen result could be to train all WRs to do something that one WR does real well.

From all my training and experience using these tools many of us have found the US companies tend to fall in love with the tools vs. Asian companies

stress more the culture.  Another way to look at that is US companies usually have "top down" approach while Asian have a "bottom up" approach.

I would be interested in how OBD uses these programs.

Thanks for the explanation!

Buzzwords are buzzwords.  Kaizen is exactly as impactful as Knute Rockne declaring "win one for the gipper".  If players are motivated by management buzzwords than they will be effective. 

In real life, a team that commits as many penalties as the Bills have this season, is not really showing a big commitment to Kaizen. 

Edited by PlayoffsPlease

1 hour ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Oh God!!

I've been hearing about Kaizen's for the past 25 years at work, now I'm hearing about them here too!

I think the true translation of Kaizen is common sense, but hire some expert who uses big words and charges high consulting fees and you're onto something big!

I have used those exact words "Kaizen is common sense".  I posted earlier about US business doing a top down philosophy which is your expert consultant way.

That way almost never works properly.

A simple football example would be for a Offensive Lineman who NEVER gets a false start penalty to explain his technique to the rest of the offensive line

AND the coaches.  That technique can result in less false starts for the OL and the coaches have another tool to train new players.

The principal is suppose to be that the management (coaches) don't have all the answers and need the workers (players) assistance in improving the team.

Common sense like you stated, which seems to be a lost art.

Six Sigma blah blah blah

People aspire to be part of something bigger

Lead with your heart. The heart is where the passion is. It is where you connect to peoples minds and when you can do that you are able to lead them to their higher level needs.

Lead with empathy and understanding of common needs.

Explain what and why. The people will tell you how.

This will bring fulfillment and happiness into their lives

Happy people are better at their work which in turn makes the organization better.

Those who laugh at the process are from the impatient and impractical school of Russ Brandon. 

Plugging holes with FA "stars" that ultimately fail doesn't build symmetry. It creates dysfunction. 

Let these guys guys do their thing, and watch the culture build. It's happening right before our eyes right now.. 

• Like (+1) 2