Media trying to get McDermott fired.

I was watching  channel 2 news this morning and Adam Benini and Vic Carrucci were saying that with the way this team is playing that McDermott JUST HAS TO BE on the hot seat. Then they bemoan how bad they played against the Colts and it's just unacceptable for the defense to give up all those points to the 1-5 colts.

Maybe they forgot how critical turnovers are (from the offense) to getting blown out. Guess they forgot how we demolished the Vikings at home and that a superior team can get their butts handed to them by a lesser team.

What I find sad is these clowns can't see the long game that is going on here and that this offseason is going to be used to finish most of the rebuild that is taking place.

McDermott is going nowhere.

• Like (+1) 11
  • Sad 2
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 5

2 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

I was watching  channel 2 news this morning and Adam Benini and Vic Carrucci were saying that with the way this team is playing that McDermott JUST HAS TO BE on the hot seat. Then they bemoan how bad they played against the Colts and it's just unacceptable for the defense to give up all those points to the 1-5 colts.

Maybe they forgot how critical turnovers are (from the offense) to getting blown out. Guess they forgot how we demolished the Vikings at home and that a superior team can get their butts handed to them by a lesser team.

What I find sad is these clowns can't see the long game that is going on here and that this offseason is going to be used to finish most of the rebuild that is taking place.

What exactly has McBeane shown that gives you any confidence in the “long game?”

I’m not saying they should be fired this year but the burner’s definitely been turned on. If they look like a tire fire the rest of this year and start off poorly next season, they could very well be gone sooner than later.

• Like (+1) 7

He should be on the hot seat. The offense is less than unacceptable and his defense is not consistent. Special Teams keep making critical mistakes and there is no discipline on either side of the ball. This many pre-snap penalties are indefensible at this point. McD better be able to process that what he is doing is not working.

• Like (+1) 6

They don't realize that Bean and McDermott and the Pegulas all expected this to happen.  They expected 2017 and 2018 to be bad seasons.  Being a playoff team in 2017 was great, but it gave EVERYONE unrealistic expectations for 2018.  2017 and 2018 were always about tearing it down, while adding some key pieces or young players growing (Hyde, Poyer, Allen, Edmunds, Dawkins, Jones) and 2019 was about building it back up.  That has always been the plan.  McDermott hasn't been preaching about the "PROCESS" for nothing.

• Like (+1) 11

3 minutes ago, eanyills said:

What exactly has McBeane shown that gives you any confidence in the “long game?”

I’m not saying they should be fired this year but the burner’s definitely been turned on. If they look like a tire fire the rest of this year and start off poorly next season, they could very well be gone sooner than later.

He broke a 17 year playoff drought. 

• Like (+1) 8
  • Haha (+1) 2

I agree that McD and Beane should get all of the 2019 Off-season to be able to nearly finish the rebuild and then the 2019 season to see if their plan has generally worked. So, I'm for letting this season play out and seeing where the Bills are at the half-way point next year.

That said, IF McD is fired, then I think Beane stays and gets to pick his HC and I think that's only fair. Then the next HC should be an Offensive innovator i.e. McVay / Nagy type of HC. I'm willing to see if McD can manage the entire team and I like the overall changes that have occurred, but if it goes south next year - there will be no excuses. Two Off-seasons with a bunch of money to spend in 2019, 3 full Drafts - only 2 by Beane, and time to build your core players and a year to develop your QB, regardless of injury, if you're developing your QB correctly, in his second year he should be making huge strides. It shouldn't stop in year two, but the leap between year one and year two and then again from year two year three should all be really, really significant. IMHO of course.

• Like (+1) 2

I really hate the media.  No matter who the coach is, if you’re not contending for a SB, the media wants you fired.  

Anyone here err live in Cinci and can brief me on how the Cinci media treat Marvin Lewis.  Dudes been there forever and has never been a SB contender.  There were a few weeks, in his 87 years as head coach, where they may have been considered contenders for the afc.  I can’t inagjne how many negative Nancy articles have been written about him. There has to a Cinci news version of Jerry Sullivan. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Just now, BuffaloBaumer said:

They have no idea what a QB is supposed to look like and unless everyone is fired before this draft, they are going to be rebuilding 3 years from now when they find out Allen is nothing but a big arm.

In your opinion....which doesnt mean much

2 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

ESPN + has an article right now. 

The Bills offense is on pace to be the worst ever in over 30 years of tracking. 

They are 52.3% worse than the average NFL offense today. 

And the fact that they are not making changes to it should tell you something about their overall strategy

• Haha (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

No they aren't.  They are rightfully raising questions that should be discussed. 

4 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

• Thank you (+1) 2

While I was, was, of the opinion McD and Beane should get 3 years so we see what they do with the 2019 huge cap space and long draft pick list, this 7th blowout in 24 games should put him on the hot seat. Not fired, but certainly feeling the heat. If he keeps control of the locker room and players keep competing hard, fine. If they go belly up from this point on, he has a good chance to follow.

Edited by Jerome007
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

What do people miss about how BAD this team is? That is never expected. You can expect to be rebuilding but this team has very little to be positive about. Go watch the Rams from a few years since people like to compare. They did not look like the Bills. The had multiple building blocks. We will be in year three shortly and have no weapons for the future on offense - WR, RB or TE. The OL has Dawkins and no one that could be considered a building block. The QB position is still a huge ?. The defense has much more potential but outside of White and Edmunds there are guys that will age out in the next few season - Williams, Hughes, Alexander, Star L,  etc. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

if one is going to just stick their head in the sand and fail to acknowledge that there are obvious warning signs that McCoach might not be the guy, well, i don't know what to tell you. i hope it gets turned around but you can't say, that even in its current state, things are hunky dory. they aren't.

Edited by Foxx
  • Like (+1) 5

I fully support this regime. 

I am all in seeing free agency and the draft next year along with the final product starting game one. 

For me, seeing what team hits the field next season is the judging point in my eyes. 

After that season finishes I will either be happy or getting out my pitchfork. 

Anyone calling for a firing right now is INSANE. 

There are plenty of questions and hints of things to be concerned about with this staff, but until they finish the job they started McD should be safe. 

Come next year if they completely wiff on free agency and have a bad draft and put another bad product on the field and suck I fully support a change to an offensive minded coach who won’t tear the defense apart. 

I expected bad things last year and this year, and I have the patience to laugh this season off at how badly they look. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

Thanks Andy Dalton!!!!

And has a worse record than awful coach Rex Ryan.

And coaches a team who consistently gets blow out by 20 or more points. (roughly 33% of the time)

And thinks that running the ball in Buffalo because it is cold is the solution to fix everything.

And thought that Nathan Peterman was a viable option for starting QB.

• Like (+1) 7

16 minutes ago, PIZ said:

They don't realize that Bean and McDermott and the Pegulas all expected this to happen.  They expected 2017 and 2018 to be bad seasons.  Being a playoff team in 2017 was great, but it gave EVERYONE unrealistic expectations for 2018.  2017 and 2018 were always about tearing it down, while adding some key pieces or young players growing (Hyde, Poyer, Allen, Edmunds, Dawkins, Jones) and 2019 was about building it back up.  That has always been the plan.  McDermott hasn't been preaching about the "PROCESS" for nothing.

12 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

And the fact that they are not making changes to it should tell you something about their overall strategy

These posts ignore the point of this thread. 

This isn't about a how the GM and the HC are building (or not building) the Bills over 2 or 3 or 10 years.  It's about whether the HC is an adequate HC.  People who claim that this FO and the Pegulas "expected" this level of futility can't be serious.  It's impossible to believe this was factored into any plan. 

As a HC (motivator, game planner, game manager) McD absolutely should be on the hot seat. It's certainly possible that he's just not a good HC.  That's really what is being discussed here.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Canadian Bills Fan said:

I will give them the offseason.

With the exception of Allen, the FO pretty much ignored the offense in the offseason.

I am curious to see what their plan is this offseason with all the cap room and draft picks we have

Remember when the Eagles built through UFA and were called the Dream team.

Remember the Redskins building through UFA and constantly failing.

Building though UFA does one thing. Bloat contracts for B level players and put you in cap hell. (Which everyone hated the last regime for doing)

The Raiders have drat capital, They have 3 first round picks.

The Bills have 4 additional 4-7 round picks.

• Like (+1) 2

McBeane have this coming off-season to right the ship and then the 2019 season to show significant progress.  I think it would be hard to regress from this season, but if they do stay the same or regress they are history.  Also, if they missed on Josh Allen and don't have a satisfactory backup they are gone (but if that's the case Next season will be awful any way you slice it).

Bottom line- by breaking the playoff drought they earned the right to have one sucky season.  One mulligan.  But we're even after this season and they'd better show significant improvement. starting in Feb 2019.  

I think they are doing a great job getting fired themselves. The media is just pointing out that we have the worse offense since 1945 and tied themselves to the biggest bust candidate in the draft in a while. Making the playoffs was the happiest day of my life, but we all know it was a fluke and these guys don’t have a clue

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, CountDorkula said:

And has a worse record than awful coach Rex Ryan. 

Actually he does not. 

With Rex we were 15-16  .484

Coach McDermott presently is sitting on 11-11 .500  If you count playoffs, then yeah, he's 11-12.  .478

Getting the coach fired worked for them with Rex.  Why not crank it up again? They need clicks evidently.

I think what they're doing this year stinks to high heaven.  But I would give them the rest of this year and next.  If the win total does not go up by at least 3, they'd probably be out.

Edited by reddogblitz

The pressure is on and I can understand that.

It's just that now that the drought has ended, there are a lot of people with unrealistic expectations.

Yes, the offense sucks, and none of us saw it being this bad.

We have to see what the team does during this next off season, that is the key for Beane & McDermott's future.

Until then, talks of McDermott being fired is just hot air.

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

18 minutes ago, eanyills said:

Yes, in a historically unreplical season where they backed in off another team collapsing. How impressive. 

Ummmm....got us out of salary cap hell.  Have had 2 very successful drafts....hitting on a couple late-round gems.  Accumulated 10 draft picks and counting for 2019.  Yeah, Beane and McDermott haven’t done anything.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, eanyills said:

Yes, in a historically unreplical season where they backed in off another team collapsing. How impressive. 

That is how that works.  For us to get in, other teams have to lose.  Works the same for every team in the playoffs, every year. 

This terrible fan base has run every good thing we have had in the last several out of town because they didn't produce immediate results: Marrone, Woods, Goodwin, Watkins, etc. 

Maybe a little patience wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.  They guy has proven he can win under horrid circumstances.  He deserves to build HIS way, regardless of how you feel about it. 

Its quite annoying honestly...  They are not going anywhere, they have had this plan since the beginning and the Pegula's signed off on it.  How anyone could expect them to be good this year with the dead cap is crazy.  And yes, they are having more mistakes happen this year, that tends to happen when you get a younger team and have rookies handling the ball more...  So we will have to deal with some rookie mistakes, but hopefully in another year or even two years, we will really have a team to be proud of.  They are actually doing EXACTLY what many of TBD have said for yearssssss....   Clean house, Get rid of the dead weight, draft a QB in the 1st round, and build through the draft with a splash of FA signings here and there.  This is what that "process" looks like people....  Put up with it for now and hopefully it leads us to something great!!!  Go BILLS!!!!

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Those two guys really have nothing else to do. McDarnitt, Beane, and the Pegula's have made all the decisions together that have got them to where they are now. To say they are on the hot seat doesn't make any sense. Everyone that knows football predicted that this is how the Bills would be be this year. Can we please just get this season over with!

10 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

These posts ignore the point of this thread. 

This isn't about a how the GM and the HC are building (or not building) the Bills over 2 or 3 or 10 years.  It's about whether the HC is an adequate HC.  People who claim that this FO and the Pegulas "expected" this level of futility can't be serious.  It's impossible to believe this was factored into any plan. 

As a HC (motivator, game planner, game manager) McD absolutely should be on the hot seat. It's certainly possible that he's just not a good HC.  That's really what is being discussed here.

You can only do so much with a team that lacks talent on the offensive side of the ball......

Whether it is intentional (because they didnt expect to win this year) or simply mis evaluating talent (which I really dont think they did....sure there are some flops) you cannot deny the fact that there is an offseason coming with a chance to improve big time....and this HC needs to be evaluated on THAT....not in a year where there was no talent on the offensive side of the ball....

They concentrated on defense this year....and for the most part they are playing lights out

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

Actually he does not. 

With Rex we were 15-16  .484

Coach McDermott presently is sitting on 11-11 .500  If you count playoffs, then yeah, he's 11-12.  .478

Getting the coach fired worked for them with Rex.  Why not crank it up again? They need clicks evidently.

I think what they're doing this year stinks to high heaven.  But I would give them the rest of this year and next.  If the win total does not go up by at least 3, they'd probably be out.

Rex.... inherited very talented team that should have done much better then it did

McD....coaching a team with very little offensive talent......and in his first year made the playoffs.....

31 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

McDermott's whole philosophy on offense is backwards to every trend in the NFL right now. Have fun trying to keep up with the offenses in the NFL for the next few years....

• Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

He is doing a good job on his own. Or have you not watched the product on the field 

• Like (+1) 1