Week 1: Ravens Game Preparation - Nathan Peterman & Groy Starting

/dev/null

2 minutes ago, dabills21 said:

It's laughable that you're comparing this situation to Ben...

First off, you were wrong that he started the season as the Steelers Qb.

Second, that Steelers team was LOADED.  They had Ben as a game manager, throwing about 20 passed per game, he didn't throw more than 30 once his rookie season.  

I'm not. I simply pointed out that he started 13 games as a rookie in repsonse to another post and I didn't say that he began the season as starter.  You somehow think you're telling me something new with your post?  You aren't. 

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

12 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Of course. Before that game 80% of the board wanted Allen to start including myself. Truth is we needed the Bengals game to happen because it showed us that Allen just isn't ready yet where as Peterman has learned to make quick reads and move in and out of the pocket.

funny it was that game that mcd decided to see how versatile his olinemen were.....

Edited by billsredneck1
  • Like (+1) 1

for the 1st half at least..... 

58 minutes ago, TwistofFate said:

Of course he was.   He earned it.  He has looked the best by far this entire off-season. 

I'd be happy if Allen didn't play a snap all year,  (unless we are eliminated) and learned from the bench.

You can't learn from the bench

2 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

I'm not. I simply pointed out that he started 13 games as a rookie in repsonse to another post and I didn't say that he began the season as starter.  You somehow think you're telling me something new with your post?  You aren't. 

Here is what you're missing, Ben wouldn't have started 13 games without Maddox going down.

The other poster simply said Ben didn't "start" the season as their starter either...and I'm trying to inform you that there were circumstances that led to Ben playing that early, and he was only asked to manage games behind a stellar defense....perhaps you follow the Steelers as close as me, and already knew this though

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

The 3rd preseason game against the Bengals made this decision for the coaching staff when Allen was slow getting the ball out. 

I think it was also the slow Allen process what the defense show before the snap

13 minutes ago, billsredneck1 said:

with him on the sideline watching and going through the mental reps and seeing what's going on, that will be way more valuable to preparing him than getting tossed in there.

best way to learn is to play

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Binghamton Beast said:

I guess one would hope a 7th overall pick could beat out a 5th rounder from the year prior.

Others have said that in a truly open competition between a limited veteran and a talented rookie, the limited veteran will almost always win, because they are faster to learn the offense and they understand how to make the plays the OC wants them to make.  Peterman doesn't have a lot of playing experience, but it's his 2nd year in the league and reportedly, the coaches like him because he's a Whiteboard Wizard, so I'm guessing this applies.

Peterman improved his play this preseason and 'earned the gig', we'll hope it carries over when the D's are less vanilla and that he's learned when to "hold his fire" and not try to be a hero.

• Like (+1) 1

Not surprised by Peterman start. Outplayed Allen in preseason but not by as much as I thought. 

Now the real games begin and we will get to see how much he has progressed from last year! And it won’t take long. Chargers and Vikings in weeks 2 & 3. You know they will bring it!! With this o line! Ugh!!

1 hour ago, DBilz2500 said:

He's looked like a totally different player than what we saw last year-more confident and decisive, stronger arm and more velocity on the ball and better accuracy. He may surprise 

He wasn't even that bad last year, yeah some bad decisions on a couple throws but he also didn't get a lot of help and was a rookie. 

27 minutes ago, The Process said:

FYI....there's a hot dog joint in Ballantyne that serves Sahlens....and has Weber's Mustard. (If u are still in Charlotte)

Thanks.

We get the 3 lb bags of them when we go back and freeze them . They are good for about 4 months in the freezer but usually don’t make it past 2. Harris Teeter sells them ( expensive) if we are in a bind.

ALWAYS have Weber’s in the fridge and pantry ?

Just now, dabills21 said:

Here is what you're missing, Ben wouldn't have started 13 games without Maddox going down.

The other poster simply said Ben didn't "start" the season as their starter either...and I'm trying to inform you that there were circumstances that led to Ben playing that early, and he was only asked to manage games behind a stellar defense....perhaps you follow the Steelers as close as me, and already knew this though

You don't need to inform me of anything regarding the Steelers that season.  I'm not sure why you're posting as if I just began watching the NFL. 

• Haha (+1) 1

I was intrigued by Peterman after watching him in the preseason last year. Other than a few bad throws that he got lucky on this preseason, he's looked decisive and been effective. Hopefully we focus on his strengths. The kid definitely has a humble confidence to him. The fact that he was able to shake off the 5 pick game and come back and win the job says something. Good luck Nate!

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Others have said that in a truly open competition between a limited veteran and a talented rookie, the limited veteran will almost always win, because they are faster to learn the offense and they understand how to make the plays the OC wants them to make.  Peterman doesn't have a lot of playing experience, but it's his 2nd year in the league and reportedly, the coaches like him because he's a Whiteboard Wizard, so I'm guessing this applies.

Peterman improved his play this preseason and 'earned the gig', we'll hope it carries over when the D's are less vanilla and that he's learned when to "hold his fire" and not try to be a hero.

others have pointed out tirelessly, the 3 coulda been pick6's he threw this preseason. if he hadn't thrown them, he would have ended up 33-38 for the pre season.

i think that he can carry that same high comp.% into the regular games.

17 minutes ago, Greybeard said:

If the O-Line plays like it did in preseason, that could be anytime of opening day.

I think it would take an injury (god forbid) to Peterman for him to be replaced by Allen in the first quarter of the season.  

Again, and I’ve stated this several times, Beane is building this team for 2019 and beyond, IMO.

Just now, 26CornerBlitz said:

Peterman starting isn't a surprise.  Let's hope the Bills put together on helluva game plan to win this game against a tough defensive opponent. 

Its not a surprise and it makes sense from a larger Allen plan point of view. Totally get it. 

But it still seems like a waste of time to me. I like Nate. But we know what he is. The fan in me sees it as a waste of a start. If I were a coach or GM I'd feel differently I'm sure. 

• Like (+1) 1

This is great news. It means the QB competition was for real, and that McDermott knows they have to be patient. He  knows what this year is. We might as well get an extended look at Peterman since we're not winning anything substantial this year anyways. If Peterman goes out and throws 5 picks in the first half again it means nothing.

4 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

No one would have thought that this after last season..  I certainly didn’t.

i still think this guy will get rattled the first time he sees any heat, But maybe he’ll have a Foles like season..   

If that Chargers game didn't rattle him, nothing will.

1 minute ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Its not a surprise and it makes sense from a larger Allen plan point of view. Totally get it. 

But it still seems like a waste of time to me. I like Nate. But we know what he is. The fan in me sees it as a waste of a start. If I were a coach or GM I'd feel differently I'm sure. 

The Bills will be loading-up for 2019.  There is no need to rush Allen right now, especially if the OL is as shaky as it has looked.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, dabills21 said:

Your points seem relevant to me. My recollection is the same as yours.

Count me as one fan who won't be counting the days until I can say "I told ya so."  Good luck Nate.

Just now, HappyDays said:

This is great news. It means the QB competition was for real, and that McDermott knows they have to be patient. He  knows what this year is. We might as well get an extended look at Peterman since we're not winning anything substantial this year anyways. If Peterman goes out and throws 5 picks in the first half again it means nothing.

:lol: It'll mean he sucks.  But I doubt it happens. 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Ga boy said:

If Josh would have performed like Nate did in his 1st preseason, he would've gotten the start.  Something to think about ...

This is a bit ambiguous. 

Do you mean "if Josh, in his first preseason, performed as Nate did this preseason"
or

"if Josh, this preseason, performed as Nate did last preseason"...

If the latter, what I think is that you're probably mistaken.  Because Nate did not perform well last preseason. 

People gave him props because he was making throws Taylor wouldn't and he played well in the 4th game against the future burger flippers.  What, exactly, about Nate's 2017 preseason 54.4% completions for 5.7 YPA, 1 TD, and 4 sacks impresses you so much and makes you think it's better than Josh Allen's 2018 preseason 54.4% completions for 4.8 YPA, 2 TD, and 7 sacks?  I mean 4.8 YPA < 5.7 YPA, but we all know Allen has a gifted arm and his WR didn't help him out on a few long throws.  4 sacks > 7 sacks, but likewise our OL seems considerably worse.

Getting no love from Twitter. I'm real happy with the situation. Perhaps He becomes the great QB we wanted. Perhaps he holds to position for J.A. Im all for either. He has grown so much in this off season that perhaps this is just one of many growth spurts for him. You just never know. 

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

I get this, I do, but... Since it means nothing, which I agree, why delay the inevitable when starting experience is all Allen needs. Isn't it better to give him that in a season where the wins aren't expected or matter as much?