Week 1: Ravens Game Preparation - Nathan Peterman & Groy Starting

/dev/null

12 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Andy Benoit: 10 Thoughts on the 2018 Ravens
With the NFL season just a few weeks away, Andy Benoit is previewing every NFL team in reverse order of last season’s finish. Up today: the Baltimore Ravens, who finished 9–7 in 2017.

Sounds like we're in for a run-dominated game this week. The description of the O-line could be the Bills. Big test for the run D against Roman. Not liking the matchup....

Just now, TPS said:

Sounds like we're in for a run-dominated game this week. The description of the O-line could be the Bills. Big test for the run D against Roman. Not liking the matchup....

I believe they will also hit the Bills with a lot of play action, so the pass rush will need to step it up. 

Just now, Mickey said:

Maybe so but wasn't that what we already had in Tyrod? Is our goal at QB to start a "game manager"?

No the goal is to develop Allen. Peterman is the safe choice right now. I think Nate gives the best chance to win right now 

• Like (+1) 1

The right move, in my opinion.  The talent level surrounding the QB is poor at WR and especially OL.  Peterman makes quick decisions and throws while the rookie (understandably) takes a little extra time to process what he is seeing - time the OL can't provide.

I am rooting for Peterman to do well, but I think the entire offense is going to struggle.  Still, it is important that someone other than Allen gets first crack at it.  If the offense is bad, at least it will be clearly established that the surrounding talent is lacking once Allen does get his chance - then, I would hope, that fans and media are more patient with Allen than they would have been if Allen started out of the gate.

• Like (+1) 1

Josh Allen was drafted as the guy with the most upside but a guy who had a lot of work to do.  Specifically he’s shown this preseason that when he can set his feet he’s accurate and looks great, when he can’t, things look not so great.  So instead of throwing him to the wolves right away behind an awful OL that will only reinforce his bad habits and potentially David Carr him, the Bills are giving Peterman a chance to prove he isn’t the San Diego disaster.  If they’re wrong, all they’ve done is bought Allen a few more weeks to learn the system / develop while the OL gels.  This is the kind of move the Bills never could make under a Rex, and it’s great to see them following a good process for bringing along a QB.  Trust the process!

• Like (+1) 7
  • Thank you (+1) 6

Just now, aristocrat said:

No the goal is to develop Allen. Peterman is the safe choice right now. I think Nate gives the best chance to win right now 

If the standard is "best chance to win right now" then doesn't that mean Allen never starts? How does Allen develop to be better than Peterman who has a year edge on him and will now get all the game experience and first team snaps? At some point you have to start Allen unless whoever else is playing develops into a franchise guy and take your lumps as he works through being a rookie. I think its the right move because I don't think Peterman will last long as the starter and doing it this way will force fans to have more patience with Allen once its proven that Nate is not the answer. If somehow Nate plays like a franchise guy then everyone is happy. That is what makes sense to me, not the "best chance to win" standard. If that was the standard then we should have kept Tyrod and had a QB competition between him, Nate and Josh.

Easily our best shot at beating the Ravens. 

After seeing Allen against the Bengals, T-sizzle would have eaten him alive. 

Thats not a knock on Allen, the kid did better than I was actually expecting in preseason. But he needs time, that was always the plan. But fans be fans.