Week 1: Ravens Game Preparation - Nathan Peterman & Groy Starting

/dev/null

4 minutes ago, Mickey said:

There is value to that, no doubt, but at some point you have to take the plunge and live with the kind of mistakes rookies make, have always made and always will make. You learn best by doing, not by watching. I don't disagree with starting Nate but I think Allen needs to start sooner rather than later unless by some miracle Nate develops into a franchise guy.

I agree. Allen needs to get in there but he needs to be the starter for the next 18 years. Slow playing is a safe move to see what this team is about.  

If I’m an opposing defense have my guys squatting on any short routes especially outside the numbers for the pick six - combine Petermans velocity with our slow WRs and inability to pass protect and it’s a no brainer - the ball has to be out quick and it doesn’t get there that fast. 

I like Petermanans rooted for him to start over Tyrod but we have to prove he can throw the ball down the field well to stop the squatting on the timing routes he loves. BUT - can we protect Nate long enough to throw it further down the field??

Edited by SoCoBills
  • Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, Max Fischer said:

How many games before Peterman throws five interceptions?

Ravens - 1 

Chargers - 0

Vikings - 1

Packers - 2

Titans - 0

Texans - 2

I was asking me how many post before i read something this stupid

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Bobby Hooks said:

Not exactly going out on a huge limb. Weird but that almost sounds like you’re actively rooting against a player on your team from succeeding. 

This fanbase.

No, I hope I'm wrong actually.  That would mean Peterman is playing well.  But Allen has physical skills Nate will never have.

1 minute ago, SoCoBills said:

If I’m an opposing defense have have them squatting on any short route for the pick six - combine Petermans velocity with our slow WRs and it’s a no brainer.

I like Peterman but we have to prove he can throw the ball down the field well to stop the squatting on the timing routes he loves. BUT - can we protect Nate long enough to throw it further down the field??

Probably explains Ray-Ray and Foster making the team...just to stretch the opponents secondary

15 minutes ago, Mickey said:

So he will never need game experience? First team snaps? At some point you have to hand the wheel over to him knowing he is going to bounce off a couple of curbs before he gets it right. 

At some point is true.  Not just right now

E hhh, I'm pulling for Allen but this seemed most likely. After the O-line let him get steamrolled in Week 3, I am ok with watching Peterman getting his sh*t kicked in during the few rough opening week. Ravens, Chargers and Vikings have some great defenses, so I would rather Allen not be thrown to the wolves and have Peterman be our sacrificial lamb.

If I'm wrong, hey, I'll enjoy some early wins.

• Like (+1) 2

31 minutes ago, Bills Fan of Maryland said:

Sad thing is, he is set up for failure behind a porous OL and receivers who can't separate. 8 in the box, max rush....he gonna die!

Can't do both well.  They will try and stop shady which is exactly what a daboll offense needs.  Quick passes and use TEs up the seam. 

13 minutes ago, Mickey said:

So he will never need game experience? First team snaps? At some point you have to hand the wheel over to him knowing he is going to bounce off a couple of curbs before he gets it right. 

Sure he will.  When we get up by 28-6 in the 4th, we put in Allen for mop-up.

He learns on the job while Peterman rests his Golden Arm.

• Haha (+1) 4

1 minute ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

The 3rd preseason game against the Bengals made this decision for the coaching staff when Allen was slow getting the ball out. 

Of course. Before that game 80% of the board wanted Allen to start including myself. Truth is we needed the Bengals game to happen because it showed us that Allen just isn't ready yet where as Peterman has learned to make quick reads and move in and out of the pocket.

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Let’s go Nate! It’s the intelligent decision. He had a solid preseason, has chemistry with KB, and you can move to Allen at some point in the season if needed. If you start off with Allen and need to make a change it’s much tougher.

:worthy:

6 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

What's so wrong about not rushing a kid? Being an NFL QB is not a skill people are born with. 

Nothing. But that is not what I am saying. If the standard is "best chance of winning" well, there will almost always be a more experienced QB available who would give us a better chance at winning than a rookie who has been doing nothing but holding a clipboard and running the scout team. Ever teach a kid to drive? You don't start out on the thruway but you don't have him driving in parking lots for a year either. At some point, even though his driving skills aren't the "best" you have to give him the wheel. Allen isn't ready for the thruway at this point so I don't have an issue starting Nate. But at some point, sooner rather than later, Allen needs to start even if Peterman gives us a 3% "better chance" of winning. Frankly, if "better chance of winning" is the standard, I don't know why Tyrod is in Cleveland.

I think its going to work out fine anyway. I don't believe in magical transformations in one season so I fully expect Nate to struggle. He is not exactly a veteran himself and the line looks awful. At some point Allen will get his shot. 

17 minutes ago, Bronxbomber21 said:

Brady & Rodgers were behind two HOF's

Favre, yes.  Bledsoe...no.  And Bledsoe had 2 poor seasons in 1999 and 2000. 

The point being that a QB can sit for some time and still become great.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

In the meanwhile, I'll start buying a 6 pack for my Ravens fan buddy. We didn't even make a beer bet on the game this year, but ill spite drink it while we get throttled.

Give him the ol Holiday 5 Pack.

15 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

No need to rush Allen.  He'll have an opportunity to play at some point this season.  

with him on the sideline watching and going through the mental reps and seeing what's going on, that will be way more valuable to preparing him than getting tossed in there.

21 minutes ago, Mickey said:

Remember, NP got the start last year because TT wasn't giving them enough at the position AND more important what he was showing in practice. 

Good for Nate, he earned it with his on field performance this year. I think everyone knows this is his audition for his future in the NFL. If he does well, he will have a shot at a decent career in the league. Everyone, I assume even he, knows he is strictly a placeholder here for Allen to soon either earn his spot or flame out later this year. He is in a tough spot with a horrible OLine and little help with his WRs. He might not get a lot of wins, but just doing well and not making a lot of mistakes will get him a chance somewhere in the league. It won't be easy, but if he keeps working and trying to improve, he can earn his place somewhere in the league.

38 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I think everyone (even the start Allen supporters) knew this would be the plan.  Makes sense.  I still think Allen will be starting at some point this season.  Props to Peterman I guess...

If the O-Line plays like it did in preseason, that could be anytime of opening day.

23 minutes ago, Mickey said:

Scout team. Playing against the #1 defense. That's how.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

....and he never looked back.  

It's laughable that you're comparing this situation to Ben...

First off, you were wrong that he started the season as the Steelers Qb.

Second, that Steelers team was LOADED.  They had Ben as a game manager, throwing about 20 passed per game, he didn't throw more than 30 once his rookie season.  

• Like (+1) 1