Week 1: Ravens Game Preparation - Nathan Peterman & Groy Starting

/dev/null

Petermans the right choice. JA, still needs to work on his mechanics and footwork as shown in the Bengals game. when his footwork is good, he is good, when they are not he is not. Needs to become second nature and happen without thought. He's been working hard to get it right, just needs a little more time. Throw him in there now behind this OL and all of his work with Palmer and new coaching staff will be for nothing.. You can learn a lot from the bench and practice.

Just now, Gugny said:

How many times have you written this same exact sentence over the past 20 years?

It’s crap. The kid isn’t built for the NFL. 

The process has a few glaring fault lines but everyone walks right over them while talking about last year and the playoffs. Why split the reps 3 ways for such an extended period of time? Why not let Allen have more first team reps so he could see the speed of the game?When they put him out there for the Bengals game, why did they play musical chairs with the oline in front of him? 

Was McD part of the contract negotiations going on for the Cinci Dlins? The answer is no, so what the hell was he doing. If Peterman was starting game 1 why did they waste valuable snaps on AJM and sit Allen for the entire 4th game? One could easily argue that Allen would have learned more in that one game than he will sitting behind Nate.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, LyndonvilleBill said:

Petermans the right choice. JA, still needs to work on his mechanics and footwork as shown in the Bengals game. when his footwork is good, he is good, when they are not he is not. Needs to become second nature and happen without thought. He's been working hard to get it right, just needs a little more time. Throw him in there now behind this OL and all of his work with Palmer and new coaching staff will be for nothing.. You can learn a lot from the bench and practice.

Learn what, how to hold a clipboard, please.

6 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

I get this, I do, but... Since it means nothing, which I agree, why delay the inevitable when starting experience is all Allen needs. Isn't it better to give him that in a season where the wins aren't expected or matter as much? 

I think it's better to give him that when he has an OL in front of him.  But that could just be me.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

This is a bit ambiguous. 

Do you mean "if Josh, in his first preseason, performed as Nate did this preseason"
or

"if Josh, this preseason, performed as Nate did last preseason"...

If the latter, what I think is that you're probably mistaken.  Because Nate did not perform well last preseason. 

People gave him props because he was making throws Taylor wouldn't and he played well in the 4th game against the future burger flippers.  What, exactly, about Nate's 2017 preseason 54.4% completions for 5.7 YPA, 1 TD, and 4 sacks impresses you so much and makes you think it's better than Josh Allen's 2018 preseason 54.4% completions for 4.8 YPA, 2 TD, and 7 sacks?  I mean 4.8 YPA < 5.7 YPA, but we all know Allen has a gifted arm and his WR didn't help him out on a few long throws.  4 sacks > 7 sacks, but likewise our OL seems considerably worse.

Hey Hap:  Nice points.  Comparing both 1st pre-seasons, my take is that Nate looked better and was more confident.  I didn't see that from Josh this year.  Maybe I just had higher expectations from the Cowboy.

9 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Its not a surprise and it makes sense from a larger Allen plan point of view. Totally get it. 

But it still seems like a waste of time to me. I like Nate. But we know what he is. The fan in me sees it as a waste of a start. If I were a coach or GM I'd feel differently I'm sure. 

I understand exactly how you feel.  Seems like the same situation with a limited QB we've been watching for far too long.   

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

The process has a few glaring fault lines but everyone walks right over them while talking about last year and the playoffs. Why split the reps 3 ways for such an extended period of time? Why not let Allen have more first team reps so he could see the speed of the game?When they put him out there for the Bengals game, why did they play musical chairs with the oline in front of him? 

Was McD part of the contract negotiations going on for the Cinci Dlins? The answer is no, so what the hell was he doing. If Peterman was starting game 1 why did they waste valuable snaps on AJM and sit Allen for the entire 4th game? One could easily argue that Allen would have learned more in that one game than he will sitting behind Nate.

For the first time in my life as a Bills fan, I've gone through the entire offseason and preseason just happy that any one of the three QBs fighting it out would be named the starter.

Between AJM, Peterman and Allen, I honestly did not care how it shook out.  I loved Nate last year, but his O line gave him a primo !@#$ job vs. SD and I think that rattled him to the core.

Now we get to see if that's who he really is, or if it really was just a horrible game that affected him for the remainder of the season.

I loved the Josh Allen pick and will proudly wear my Allen jersey each Sunday, whether he's starting or not.  He will, eventually.

I only hope that a change isn't rushed due to injury.

I think Beane and McD have handled the QB situation just fine and I look forward to seeing this play out.

Go Bills!

Edited by Gugny
  • Like (+1) 2

Getting the ball out quickly is 90% of this. Peterman is capable of executing this modern day, quick read and deliver, Brady style passing game. That’s why he looked good in mop up duty last year. That’s why they benched Tyrod last year, that’s why Peterman is the starter now. The issue is, that also led to some of the picks. Hopefully he learns from the mistakes and doesn’t end up having guys jump routes and rip balls up to the Defense.

• Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, fansince88 said:

Getting no love from Twitter. I'm real happy with the situation. Perhaps He becomes the great QB we wanted. Perhaps he holds to position for J.A. Im all for either. He has grown so much in this off season that perhaps this is just one of many growth spurts for him. You just never know. 

Twitter is for twits

jmo. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think it's better to give him that when he has an OL in front of him.

that's the whole point. through the first 2 pre season games, nate got the ball out in under 2 seconds...every one of them. this oline will play a little better than people think....thanks to nate and dabol. they played good enough to start out with against carolina. didn't look so good against the browns but,  greggo was being a richard.

the 3rd game was musical chairs and the 4th nobody played so we really haven't seen how they would be coached up for a real game plan yet. i don't think it will be as bad as some are expecting.    an extra te and dimarco with lead blocks can help a lot.

I'm fine with this.  I've heard all the arguments:  "He doesn't have enough arm strength.  That's why he threw 5 interceptions vs. the Chargers."   "He played well in preseason last year too, so his preseason performance this year can't be used to predict success."  "Josh Allen needs to start so he can get better."  I would argue that there are QBs in the NFL enjoying success with no better arm strength than Peterman.  I believe that his interceptions were the result of a combination of factors, primarily historically bad play by the offensive line and Peterman's failure to account for better quickness and anticipation by NFL CBs versus their college counterparts.  Peterman is a smart QB.  I think he can learn and overcome his mental shortcomings from last year.  I know preseason success is not a great predictor of regular season success, but there really are no other predictors that the Bills can use at this point.  Relative draft position is no better. (Paxton Lynch just got cut in Denver leaving a former UDFA and low round pick as Denver's roster QBs.)  I believe Josh Allen can continue to get better through study and leading the scout team in practice, before he absolutely has to  be in the game to improve further.

There's no question that Allen is going to be treated as the franchise QB of the future by the Bills, and I'm very hopeful that he is indeed going to be a franchise QB in the future.  The Bills don't have to force the future right now. 

Edited by TigerJ
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Getting the ball out quickly is 90% of this. Peterman is capable of executing this modern day, quick read and deliver, Brady style passing game. That’s why he looked good in mop up duty last year. That’s why they benched Tyrod last year, that’s why Peterman is the starter now. The issue is, that also led to some of the picks. Hopefully he learns from the mistakes and doesn’t end up having guys jump routes and rip balls up to the Defense.

He's the starter now because Allen isn't ready.  Nothing more or less. 

3 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

I think there are answers to your questions, but they're just  guesses.

In hindsight, they were trying to showcase AJM for trade in the 4th grade.  Extra preseason snaps for Allen << 5th round pick in Beane's mind, especially when Daboll clearly didn't want to open the playbook and even if he escaped concussion protocol, Allen did have a vicious game Sunday and having to play again Thurs is no joke.

I think that McDermott really wanted to give the nod to AJ.  He's got to be scared to death to start Peterman again and look like a fool, even though Peterman overall has clearly had the best preseason.  So he extended the process, but AJ never stepped up and claimed the ring, then he got hurt, then he sucked in the 1st half, so McDermott said "OK Daboll, Peterman it is, and Beane, you can shop McCarron - but if you guys make me look like a fool with this I'm sending for Belicheck's*** Tub O Entrails and you're both going in"

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Its not a surprise and it makes sense from a larger Allen plan point of view. Totally get it. 

But it still seems like a waste of time to me. I like Nate. But we know what he is. The fan in me sees it as a waste of a start. If I were a coach or GM I'd feel differently I'm sure. 

Nate won the competition clearly, and it’s not just the games that determine the outcome. McD showed last year that he’s willing to make a change when he believes the alternative will make you better. It was not a Tyrod screwing up that led to McD’s decision, it was what Nate was showing consistently in practice— that he could give them more passing options on O. 

Allen will take the reins when he shows the same consistency. However, in this case, Allen will also play if Nate bombs or when they are out of contention. 

1 hour ago, DBilz2500 said:

He's looked like a totally different player than what we saw last year-more confident and decisive, stronger arm and more velocity on the ball and better accuracy. He may surprise 

...absolutely.....could have easily mailed it yet........but he had gritty determination to get better and he sure made progress......not too bad for a 5th?.........maybe the same magical "5th" that yielded Meatball?.........if he eventually becomes a solid backup similar to Frank Reich when Allen is ready to take over, we'd be in pretty good shape IMO...

People here who are bashing this move have very short memories- brees sucked his second year and then became a hall of famer. Eli was awful for several years before getting good. Half of the best qbs did not set the world fire right away and several who did became terible ( RGIii)

• Thank you (+1) 1