Week 1: Ravens Game Preparation - Nathan Peterman & Groy Starting

/dev/null

Allen was locking onto his first read against the Bengals too. All I'm saying is teams don't fear our passing game yet. Their game plans are going to focus on Shady. They will stack the box and sit on short routes regardless of who the QB is. Tyrod could throw the ball deep but teams still stacked the box. It has nothing to do with arm strength.

He did it like 2 times in the Bengals game, he also showed he can go through his reads. Peterman hits the back of his drop and the ball is out, unless the guy is covered. I'm not even sure this is up for debate plenty of people who watch the Bills comment on it. He knows where he's going pre snap. So defenses will play more Zone with him so they can watch where he's looking and break on the ball.

Look, I'm not saying they won't stack the box and stop Shady but if you don't think they would plan differently for Peterman vs Allen, who's shown he can go long, I'm not sure what to tell you.

I guess one would hope a 7th overall pick could beat out a 5th rounder from the year prior.

He will, but they are giving him time to pick up the nuances of the offense and adjust to the speed of the game. The only starter of the  five 1st rounders is Darnold. Lets see how he fares when the bullets fly next week.

My only worry with Peterman is the arm strength and he sometimes throws the ball regardless of if the guys open or not.  It's like he locks on and says I'm throwing it here regardless.

I knew he'd be the starter after the Bengals game.  I'm like sitting Allen for a few games TBH as well.  I hope Allen is ready come about 4 games in.  I will root for Peterman but I doubt he makes it difficult to move on from him by game 3 and 4. 

I hope im wrong. I want to see us win.  

Terrible.... Peterman has thrown 6 picks in about 80 minutes of football last season. So Allen isn’t ready, they traded away AJ and what if Petermans preseason is just false hope. Terrible decision. Not so much he is starting but trading away AJ after making it clear Allen isn’t where they want him to be.

others have pointed out tirelessly, the 3 coulda been pick6's he threw this preseason. if he hadn't thrown them, he would have ended up 33-38 for the pre season.

i think that he can carry that same high comp.% into the regular games.

That would be ridiculous to think or expect that.  No QB that throws any volume of passes sits in the 80% completion range.  Most QBs sit in the 60% range.  Most great QBs sit in the upper 60's low 70% range.

I figured Peterman was the starter the minute they traded AJ.

AJ and Nate are kind of redundant. Both are similar QBs. If Nate isn’t successful behind this o line, AJ wouldn’t be either. 

Plus, McDermott taking every chance possible to talk Nate up was another clue. As I said in another thread, it reminded me of Rex Ryan continually reminding everyone not to sleep on Tyrod Taylor back in 2015. 

I dont see how anyone can say that Nate didn’t earn it, though. He was our best QB all offseason. 

Congrats Nate! 

Exactly, if you have a QB competition and one of the QB clearly outplays the other two, you have to start him. Otherwise it was never a real competition and Josh should have gotten all the 1st team reps the whole time.

I'm pulling for Nate. His quick throws will definitely lead to INT's, no doubt about that; but we may be able to move the ball better with him.

• Like (+1) 1

Terrible.... Peterman has thrown 6 picks in about 80 minutes of football last season. So Allen isn’t ready, they traded away AJ and what if Petermans preseason is just false hope. Terrible decision. Not so much he is starting but trading away AJ after making it clear Allen isn’t where they want him to be.

• Haha (+1) 1

This is the easiest thing a QB could fix. I'm sure they've drilled it into his head. FWIW he went right down whenever he took a sack this preseason. I'm not worried he'll throw those sorts of picks this year. I am still worried about the far right curls and outs. He's improved every other aspect of his game.

Repeated results from certain QB phoned.  They disagree with the "easiest thing" bit.

The complication is that in the NFL, the line between being able to generate offense in a tough game against pressure, vs being foolish, is pretty thin.

That said, I hope you're right

• Like (+1) 1

• 26CornerBlitz changed the title to Week 1: Ravens Game Preparation - Nathan Peterman & Groy Starting

Can't do both well.  They will try and stop shady which is exactly what a daboll offense needs.  Quick passes and use TEs up the seam. 

If we had receivers who could get open quickly, then maybe. TEs quick up the seem is possible. Gonna be ugly in my opinion. When do we start talking about tanking?

I think it's crazy but go Nate! I hope he lights it up.

I fear the Ravens play tight on the WRs on every play, bring 8-9 in the box, take Shady out of the run game and dare Nate to beat them over the top. I imagine he will make a bunch of short completions and hopefully lob some over their heads. 

Possible some clever play designs to get McCoy or Ray Ray or Murphy the ball in some space, or even Croom/Thomas can get them to break one and get clear sailing. That's the only way I see this working well. 

• Like (+1) 2

This is the easiest thing a QB could fix. I'm sure they've drilled it into his head. FWIW he went right down whenever he took a sack this preseason. I'm not worried he'll throw those sorts of picks this year. I am still worried about the far right curls and outs. He's improved every other aspect of his game.

With the rule change your gonna see a lot more passing over the middle in offenses

If we had receivers who could get open quickly, then maybe. TEs quick up the seem is possible. Gonna be ugly in my opinion. When do we start talking about tanking?

How about we just watch the games and try to enjoy ourselves. Let the rest work itself out. 

Its entertainment, it’s supposed to be fun. When did people stop having fun and start stressing and overthinking it? It’s exhausting. 

Edited by Bobby Hooks
  • Like (+1) 1

Bills coach Sean McDermott told reporters Monday of rookie QB Josh Allen after naming Nathan Peterman the starter, “Josh is on schedule. I’ve been very pleased with the way he’s developed to this point in time. Listen, you learn a lot from the first game of the regular season, whether you’re playing or not playing, when it’s your first time. I can just go back to my first time and being a part of the first game in my career. You learn an awful lot. But that being said, I expect that Josh will be ready to go when his number is called, whenever it is called. That’s his focus right now.”

Bills coach Sean McDermott told reporters Monday of naming Nathan Peterman the starting quarterback, "Nate has earned the right. I thought his total body of work, all the way back from the spring through the summer and fall camp to this point -- he has certainly earned the right. ... There was a series of moments, when you go back and watch the journey to this point. You go back to the spring and the way he handled himself. You go through the early part of summer camp and then the preseason games -- just the full body of work, really, and the way he handled himself. He’s a steady young man and a lot can be said for that.”

Bills coach Sean McDermott told reporters Monday of starting Nathan Peterman in Week 1 this season after his five-interception debut last season, “I believe [Peterman] is a resilient young man. He’s certainly come through some times of adversity throughout his career. He’s still a young player. I’ve been impressed with his mental toughness, his command of the offense. The way he’s generated yards and then points in the preseason, as well. The way he’s developed to this point. Let’s keep in mind he’s a young player.”

Bills coach Sean McDermott on Monday told reporters Ryan Groy will start at center over Russell Bodine. He also said tight end and former quarterback Logan Thomas will serve as the emergency third quarterback, although McDermott did not rule out GM Brandon Beane adding another quarterback.

i?img=%2Fi%2Fcolumnists%2Ffull%2Frodak_m
Mike Rodak, ESPN Staff Writer

I agree but at least Groy can play other positions...not sure if Bodine can...usually backup lineman can play other spots

I hear ya.  I think unit just needs to field the best players at each postion and worry about depth later.  We have to somehow keep these QBs healthy. 

Groy started the final 7 games of the 2017 season, and he performed admirably in Wood’s absence.

During the 2016 season, Groy was not penalized, and he did not allow a sack, either. In fact, Groy has played 617 snaps as a member of the Buffalo Bills, and he has yet to allow a sack or commit a penalty on any of them.

Edited by THE SLAMMER