Anybody Else Find Themselves Less and Less Interested in the NFL?

My Sundays in the fall used to be centered around the NFL. I'd wake up, watch the pregame show. Drive to the bar. Watch the Bills. Drive home. Watch whatever late afternoon game I could get on local TV, or RedZone. Watch the Sunday Night game. Then usually watch MNF. 

Now, I'm just as passionate about The Bills as I've ever been. Go out to the bar, watch every game. New Year's Eve was probably the best day of my year last year. Pumped for this season. But I can count on one hand the number of non Bills games I watched last year. If anything, I'd rather watch a college game if I have no direct rooting interest. 

I don't give a **** about the anthem protests. While I'm not the biggest fan of the new rule changes, it hasn't turned me off completely to the NFL. I just find myself less enthused to watch NFL football than I used to be. Even my fantasy players I usually just check the stats online. Anybody else feel this way?

• Like (+1) 8
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I'd say I pay a little less attention to the rest of the league than I used to, but I'm just as passionate about the Bills. 

Things like Embedded only help too. So excited to see Josh Allen all half on Sunday with the starters! It's a good time to be a fan. New beginnings.  

• Like (+1) 1

Yeah. There are way too many gamedays now. It used to be just Sunday, then Monday night, and it was special. Now there's Thursday night, all day Sunday with three, sometimes four time slots if theres a London game, then Monday night. The NFL is like that girlfriend that is way too emotionally available and you lose interest in her.

• Like (+1) 3

Bills are the only sportsball team that I follow, and it’s definitely been waning over the last few years. The tailgate and the friends and fam are what keep me going back.

The NFL as a whole is “meh”. Between the officiating, the garbage newer rules, and the league becoming more entertainment centered rather than an actual sport, I really don’t care as much as I used to.

You get a little older and you get different life perspective. Bills and sports just aren’t as ‘important’ as they used to be.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

about the same-  although it has done a gradual decline over the years with more and more obnoxious commercials, stoppages in play and bad rules / calls.  

still i love the bills and really enjoy a good NFL battle no matter who is playing....

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I have not lost any interest at all in watching the Bills. 

But yeah, I don’t watch quite as many other NFL games as I used to. I still watch a good amount of NFL football, though. 

For me, it’s something that has bene slowly happening for years.

It started with all the rule changes. Now it’s to the point that you can’t even celebrate a play when it happens, anymore. You have to wait to see if there was a flag. It’s taken some of the excitement out of the game IMO. 

Edited by BillsFan4
  • Like (+1) 2

I was out for a while completely, turned to hockey which has always been a 1a sport of mine and I still play... but the improvement last year drew me back in and I am following the Bills much more closely.  Fantasy leagues kept me in touch, but rarely watch other games because of all the commercials and other things to do.  Would rather watch hockey on my portable devices and its cheaper too.

finding about zero interest in at least 12 of the 16 games each week.

the game is fading away

without gambling or a good team to cheer for you've lost 95% of the spark if you are carving away from busy time to watch

I made 5 calls to directv to get a deal on the Sunday ticket. Some calls were 45 mins long. I finally got it. Is my interest in the NFL declining? Not a bit. It is my time to forget about life and root for my bills and watch other teams 

• Like (+1) 1

Partly. Can't stand watching the NFL Network for very long. I'm bored about the way they drone on about certain teams over and over instead of giving all 32 teams a fair shot. That said it's Friday afternoon and I'm on a Bill's board posting about the NFL so I guess I still care ?

• Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, ProcessAccepted said:

Partly. Can't stand watching the NFL Network for very long. I'm bored about the way they drone on about certain teams over and over instead of giving all 32 teams a fair shot. That said it's Friday afternoon and I'm on a Bill's board posting about the NFL so I guess I still care ?

it's no fun not having interest in the Thursday or Monday night games for weeks on end

Still a huge fan, but fantasy football has had an odd impact on the my interest in the NFL.  I now want to watch multiple games even when the Bills are playing and sometimes I find that am too focused on particular players for other teams at the expense of the attention I should be paying to the Bills game.

40 minutes ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

My Sundays in the fall used to be centered around the NFL. I'd wake up, watch the pregame show. Drive to the bar. Watch the Bills. Drive home. Watch whatever late afternoon game I could get on local TV, or RedZone. Watch the Sunday Night game. Then usually watch MNF. 

Now, I'm just as passionate about The Bills as I've ever been. Go out to the bar, watch every game. New Year's Eve was probably the best day of my year last year. Pumped for this season. But I can count on one hand the number of non Bills games I watched last year. If anything, I'd rather watch a college game if I have no direct rooting inteuserest. 

I don't give a **** about the anthem protests. While I'm not the biggest fan of the new rule changes, it hasn't turned me off completely to the NFL. I just find myself less enthused to watch NFL football than I used to be. Even my fantasy players I usually just check the stats online. Anybody else feel this way?

It's less violent , so it's not as fun to watch as it used to be. Also as people age their interests sometimes changes .

47 minutes ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

Now, I'm just as passionate about The Bills as I've ever been. Go out to the bar, watch every game. New Year's Eve was probably the best day of my year last year. Pumped for this season. But I can count on one hand the number of non Bills games I watched last year. If anything, I'd rather watch a college game if I have no direct rooting interest. 

I only follow the bills.. I've never really cared about watching any other games... Never really interest me.. Once the teams I have emotional attachment have played their game or have been eliminated (Sabres / Bills)  I'm done...  I just cannot watch a sport if a Buffalo team is not representing. No interest no matter the sport

• Like (+1) 1

Nope - there are differences in how I consume the NFL now, but my passion is still there.

In the past - I would watch pregame shows on ESPN because I loved Boomer and the guys and it was fun - then I would watch the post game to see highlights and anything else I missed - again Boomer and TJ were awesome to watch.

Now I have no desire to watch Pre or Post game - the people are just annoying- guys like Irving, Chris Carter, Randy Moss, Faulk, and a variety of coaches just give me nothing at all worth listening to.  Post game - you can go on the internet and get stats, scores, big plays, etc both live and after the game no need for sports center or NFL network post game shows.

I consume much more NFL right now than ever before - including time on this board - I also have access to way more information than ever before and I think it is great.

• Like (+1) 1