Kelly or Brady

My cousin thinks Brady is not better than Kelly. The reason is: A) Kelly was more mobile. B) Belichick is a better coach than Levy. C) 4 straight SB appearances. D)

Deflategate/Spygate

Can any case be made Kelly is just as good, if not better, than Brady? Jim played in an era that wasn't as kind to Qb's.

Edited by Billsfanatic8989

2 minutes ago, Billsfanatic8989 said:

First off, I think this is utterly unfair to Kelly. Regardless, my cousin thinks Brady is not better than Kelly. The reason is: A) Kelly was more mobile. B) Belichick is a better coach than Levy. C) 4 straight SB appearances. D)

Deflategate/Spygate

Can any case be made Kelly is just as good, if not better, than Brady? Or, is it indisputable? 

Different erra.  Tom Brady doesn't last a whole season back then.  All of the big three and Montana are better than Brady and Manning.  Jerry Rice would have had 40000 yards under these rules.

Dan Marino is the GOAT period.  Makes me sick saying that.  Not as sick as Brady, especially since Brady isn't the GOAT.  This game won't be recognizable in 10 years.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, arcane said:

Tom Brady is the greatest QB to ever play. End of story. 

Guys like Rodgers and Marino could throw a better ball, and Peyton was smarter. 

But Brady is the greatest. 

And Kelly isn't in that conversation.

Johnny Unitas is the best to ever play.  Brady isn't even in that conversation.

• Like (+1) 5

I always have a hard time comparing QB's from different eras. Times change.

But this one seems straight forward to me. Brady is the best of his era. Peyton Manning gave him a run for the money for a while, but Brady's been better. Jim Kelly was great,  but he was never the consensus "best of his era".  

• Like (+1) 6

Kelly, No. Other QBs? Absolutely. Kelly was absolutely tougher, had a better arm etc. He wasn’t as consistent as Brady week in and week out. It’s difficult, because if Brady played in the 80’s/ early 90s he’d have been retired by the time he was 35. He wouldn’t have survived the pass rushers and what they could do to QBs then. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

You'd almost think Jim Kelly actually won something if you were born in Buffalo. I'm not sure Kelly is in the top 30, and Brady, as much as it pains me, is the best there's ever been. I'm still taking Peyton on any team though.

If you had the choice of Brady, "the best there's ever been", and Peyton Manning, why would you not take the best ever?

44 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

Johnny Unitas is the best to ever play.  Brady isn't even in that conversation.

Yet, he IS the conversation.  He’s discussed by anyone that knows anyone about football as the best or if not the best, he’s in the conversation.  Every time.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Mister Defense said:

If you had the choice of Brady, "the best there's ever been", and Peyton Manning, why would you not take the best ever?

A. I don't like him

B. Peyton proved without a doubt he was the sole reason for the Colt's success and put together probably the best season any QB ever had at age 38. AFTER having his neck broken.

C. Peyton's intelligence allowed him to win even when his arm fell apart to a JV level.

Edited by BullBuchanan
  • Like (+1) 1

Really? We are comparing these eras? Unitas and Namath were not playing the same game as Manning and Brady. 

Ther NEXT generation is Josh Allen, who will revolutionalize the position! 

You know...maybe. 

Just maybe.....

Brady can't be the greatest because of the many*'s

Plus I actually agree Peyton was more valuable. It was the Peyton Manning system, not just listen to hoodie and "do your job". The colts got the 1st overall pick when Manning went down, Pats went 11-5 with a scrub QB when Brady went down.

Brady will always be in the conversation because of the titles, but he should be disgraced for cheating like Barry Bonds. People say it's overblown and a non-issue, but you don't destroy evidence unless you have something to hide. Up until that moment he had the benefit of the doubt.

1 hour ago, Billsfanatic8989 said:

My cousin thinks Brady is not better than Kelly. The reason is: A) Kelly was more mobile. B) Belichick is a better coach than Levy. C) 4 straight SB appearances. D)

Deflategate/Spygate

Can any case be made Kelly is just as good, if not better, than Brady? Jim played in an era that wasn't as kind to Qb's.

Your cousin's an idiot.

• Like (+1) 2

25 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

A. I don't like him

B. Peyton proved without a doubt he was the sole reason for the Colt's success and put together probably the best season any QB ever had at age 38. AFTER having his neck broken.

C. Peyton's intelligence allowed him to win even when his arm fell apart to a JV level.

Regular season I would take manning. Playoffs I would take Brady.

Manning never played his best football in the playoffs, where Brady would almost always rise to the situation.

If I had to choose, I would take Brady over Manning because of his ability to dominate when the stakes are the highest

Edited by billsfan11
  • Like (+1) 1

the !@#$ is this circle jerk around brady for?

!@#$ that !@#$ and everything about him.

Its Kelly 1000000% without a !@#$ing question. 

bradys B word ass wouldnt have survived in the nfl when kelly was around. This current league is all lets suck the qbs dick, espeically yours truly. that !@#$er and the patties have permanently tainted the league, and the league took it. 

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, billsfan11 said:

Regular season I would take manning. Playoffs I would take Brady.

Manning never played his best football in the playoffs, where Brady would almost always rise to the situation.

If I had to choose, I would take Brady over Manning because of his coaches ability to manipulate the rulebook when the stakes are the highest

You are correct but I feel like this statement fits better.

31 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Yup.  It's going to be a fight for 3rd place for a long time.

I don't even think that because Manning us right there too. Think of how many SBs Brady or Manning would have of they stopped playing each other in the playoffs. 

I think Peyton is the best QB. He could do it with nothing and turn all those players into All-stars. Brady has always had a defense that complimented him on offense. 

2 hours ago, Warcodered said:

Trouble with rating QBs is that it takes a team so a great QB might never win a super bowl while an average one with an incredible team might have several.

But Brady has the numbers to back him too.  He won 4 super bowls, took his team to 7 of them and has dominated the NFL for 20 years.  Kelly was a gunslinger with a great RB to take pressure of him.  Brady on the other hand is the master of the quick pass (deadly accuracy) with great anticipation.  He is a master at practicing his skills to perfection like an assassin.  Two different types of QBs and you can't really compare them. 

2 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

I always have a hard time comparing QB's from different eras. Times change.

But this one seems straight forward to me. Brady is the best of his era. Peyton Manning gave him a run for the money for a while, but Brady's been better. Jim Kelly was great,  but he was never the consensus "best of his era".  

this guy gets it

• Like (+1) 1

This isn't even arguable.  I can't stand when people make these stupid comparisons.  In theory, these comparisons cannot be argued because of different eras.  Rules were different.  We can say that Brady was the greatest during his time, or that Kelly was the greatest during his era, but the greatest of all time statement is completely bogus.  and that's across the entire spectrum of all sports.  Reality is that who knows how good Brady would've been in a different era or any QB for that matter.  Next time, ask a more realistic question like, who's the best QB now, or who was the best during this decade. 

• Like (+1) 1

Kelly isn't even in the discussion for top 10.  As another poster pointed out, had he not called his own number so often in SBXXV he would not be a four time loser.  

Brady is the best of all time.  Followed by Montana.  Manning, Elway, Rodgers, Young, and Marino are in the tier just below.  You could make cases for all of them to be #3 and all would be valid.  In today's game I would probably choose Marino.  At the time they played, I would likely go Elway, Manning, Young, Rodgers, and then Marino.  I don't even have Brees or Favre in my top 7 and am also leaving out Unitas, Fouts, Baugh, Staubach, Graham, Bradshaw, and Aikman.  That puts Kelly somewhere between 15 - 20.  Was he a better QB than Bradshaw or Eli? Probably but that is 6 SuperBowl wins.  Better than Namath - for sure.  Starr? Probably.  But those are the QB's that are in Kelly's league not anywhere near my top 7.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, dma0034 said:

I don't even think that because Manning us right there too. Think of how many SBs Brady or Manning would have of they stopped playing each other in the playoffs. 

I think Peyton is the best QB. He could do it with nothing and turn all those players into All-stars. Brady has always had a defense that complimented him on offense. 

There regular season and playoff stats are similar so you have a point.  I would argue that Manning usually had a slightly better offense around him for most of his career whereas Brady usually had a slightly better defense.  That's where championships matter.  Brady has 4 MVPS and 5 titles.  Manning has 1 MVP and 2 titles.  I can understand the argument for Manning though as he didn't have Belichick all those years.

You have to use something to compare them. Stats don't work well because of rules changes and the evolution of the game.

So you have to look at things like winning percentage and championships, because those things transcend time a little easier.

So yeah. Brady has to be the GOAT, in my eyes.

2 hours ago, BringBackOrton said:

To me, even if JK went 4-0 in those SB’s, he’d still behind Montana and Brady.

I can’t agree with this at all. 4 straight SB victories? If that had occurred , the pecking order would be JK, Montana , then everyone else. 

31 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

There regular season and playoff stats are similar so you have a point.  I would argue that Manning usually had a slightly better offense around him for most of his career whereas Brady usually had a slightly better defense.  That's where championships matter.  Brady has 4 MVPS and 5 titles.  Manning has 1 MVP and 2 titles.  I can understand the argument for Manning though as he didn't have Belichick all those years.

For the first 3 Pats* SB wins, Brady had a much better defense. He also had a much better coach / staff for all of them. When Manning was on a team with an elite defense, he was able to guide them to a title when he had absolutely no arm left. If PM were on the Pats with Belichick for most of his career, he may have won 6 SBs.