Josh Allen “not looking to beat anyone out”

1 hour ago, JaCrispy said:

This is what he said on One Bills Live...which kind of surprised me...I understand he’s trying to learn the offense and his team mates, but so are the other two guys...anyway, it looks like he’s not even expecting himself to start.

Just curious what everyone thinks about this...I know Baker Mayfield said, after the draft, that he expected to earn the starting job- and we all know what Rosen thinks of himself...so what are your thoughts on JA not looking to beat anyone out?

THis is terrible, and very serious. Sounds to me like the kid just shows up for a paycheck. 

Edited by OJ Tom

I would think he knows his time is coming.  Just being patient and letting the process play out.  At the very least, doesn't sound like Josh's maturity level should be questioned, so that is a big positive at these early stages of his career.

2 hours ago, JaCrispy said:

This is what he said on One Bills Live...which kind of surprised me...I understand he’s trying to learn the offense and his team mates, but so are the other two guys...anyway, it looks like he’s not even expecting himself to start.

Just curious what everyone thinks about this...I know Baker Mayfield said, after the draft, that he expected to earn the starting job- and we all know what Rosen thinks of himself...so what are your thoughts on JA not looking to beat anyone out?

Go with God Crispy

• Haha (+1) 1

I think this is a great statement, love it in fact.  What he is saying is that he is focused on learning and building the foundation to be a successful QB, not just being a little better than 2 unproven QB's so he can start. 

Its not like we got Flacco ahead of him here like Lamar does in Balt.  AJ and NP here might lay eggs this preseason and Allen could be named the starter by just not being awful, but doesn't really mean he was ready to start.  So Josh isn't focused on beating those guys, he is focused on his own development first and foremost and the rest will work itself out.  That may mean he wins the job week 1, it may mean he doesn't play at all this year.  I like Baker as a prospect, but look at what he said and whats actually being said about his readiness.  He thought he would win the job outright, when the reports all say he is way behind Tyrod and Browns have firmly committed to TT and odds are Baker doesnt play this year unless TT gets hurt or flops and Browns are still consistently losing.  

I love this type of statement from him, shows his eagerness to learn and develop and check the ego at the door.  

• Like (+1) 1

Clearly the kid lacks heart and desire. He should be immediately labeled a bust and cut from the team. The entire front office, up to and including the night cleaning crew, needs to be immediately and irrevocably fired. In fact, all current coaches and players should be given their walking papers as well for this debacle.

Mr. and Mrs. Pegula should then be forced to sell the team.

1 hour ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

Remind me to never go to one of your parties 

They do tend to be sausage-fests.

1 hour ago, SoCal Deek said:

Whenever I see a thread like this I’m always dying to hear what the Poster would like him to have said.

"So, yeah. AJ McMunchy and Norm Peterson are just wastes of space in the QB room; they're not real competition. Hell, I'm not sure they're really even quarterbacks. They suck. I'm going to go out there and dominate those hapless bitches on the field. I'm the !@#$ing man, period. I'm going to throw for 6,000 yards this season, at a minimum. No one can match the raw sexual power of Josh !@#$ing Allen. NO ONE.

Oh, and AJ... yeah, sorry buddy, but I've been tagging your wife for like a month now."

• Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Best Player Available said:

I think he said the right thing. Being The new kid, he knows that OBD has plans for him. Why be a douche and tick off teamates?

Now if was Rex Ryan's kid one would expect the exact opposite. 

..because for some, that is a VERY difficult thing to comprehend.....one of the more nauseating ones in recent memory was RG II 1/8.....NOTHING was ever his fault in a "L", had no problem throwing teammates under the bus at will and had Daddy RG in the limelight as well.....Rex was "Bloviating Buddy Jr"......that acorn did not fall to far from the "tree"....

3 hours ago, JaCrispy said:

I think you are silly for posting this. Thanks for asking.

19 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

..because for some, that is a VERY difficult thing to comprehend.....one of the more nauseating ones in recent memory was RG II 1/8.....NOTHING was ever his fault in a "L", had no problem throwing teammates under the bus at will and had Daddy RG in the limelight as well.....Rex was "Bloviating Buddy Jr"......that acorn did not fall to far from the "tree"....

3 hours ago, JaCrispy said:

First, he will be the best, and then he will be first.

...probably yet ANOTHER OTAG half baked assessment, but I'll wing it.....I think this kid brings humility, respect AND an excellent work ethic to the table for starters....will it translate into success?...who knows.....closer to home, always thought TT and EJ had excellent work ethics and hard to deny Tebow (spent megabucks on personal trainers)....unfortunately, it did not translate, but they deserve kudos for efforts......despite what other "pundits" think, I think the Allen kid has a better skill set going in despite perceived weaknesses......so we'll see what happens.....stay tuned............

3 hours ago, The Senator said:

I fully expect Josh Allen to be our starting QB come week one of the regular season...

19 and 0 baby!!!

GO BILLSSS!!!!!

Bam! There it is! 

"19 and 0 baby" is my very favorite TBDism, especially when written by the OG OP!

• Thank you (+1) 1

He's humble and believes in his coaches timeline. Let's not make the same mistake with JA as we did with EJ and a trip over a mat. Let him learn and watch AJ and Nate battle it out. We as fans are always impatient and want everything now. Sit back and enjoy the ride. Tom & Bill will be gone soon.

19 hours ago, Elite Poster said:

If he said he's here to earn a starting spot, this thread would be, "I love Josh's fire and competitive spirit!!!!", and since he said otherwise its, "Wow, so respectful!"

None of this means anything. Let the boys play. 

This time of year is 95% self created soap opera story lines for grown men. 

Dudes twisting and bending every last statement or practice rep to fit a story line they have created for the reality tv show that we all watch together

21 hours ago, JaCrispy said:

Peterman said something quite similar in an interview.  His quote was, "I'm not here to compete against the other guys,  I'm here to compete against myself.  It doesn't mean that they are being fatalistic about their role on the team.  It means they can only control their own performance on the field.  Their job is to try and get better: learn the offense as well as they can, hone their skill set as much as possible, and cut down on mistakes.  Let the coaching staff figure out who is outplaying whom.

29 minutes ago, Soda Popinski said:

I think he means he wants to worry about his performance not what the other two QBs are doing.   

I haven't read this thread, because it's pretty clear that if he said what the title says he said, he meant just what you're saying.   His mental approach is simply to keep learning, keep getting better, execute what he's given to execute.  Who "wins" the QB comptetion will be the one who has learned the most, executes the best.   

You don't win the competition by focusing on your competitor; you win it by focusing on yourself and getting better at what you do.  

That's what's fundamentally wrong about the notion that there is a QB "competition."   In true competition, you focus BOTH on what you do AND what your opponent does, because your opponent will be doing some things you have to respond to and your opponent may have some weaknesses you can exploit.  In a QB "competition," you don't change your behavior to respond to whatever it is your "opponent" may be doing.  You focus only on yourself.   You don't say, for example, "AJ isn't very good at the deep sideline pass, so if I get better at that, I'll have an edge."   You "win" by being the best package, regardless of what AJ is doing.  

So what Josh said is a comment about the difference between true competition and a QB competition.  

And it's completely consistent with McD's approach, which is simply that your job is get better at your job as fast as you can and to keep getting better.  Your job doesn't have anything to do with whether you're better than someone else.  

On 7/27/2018 at 1:17 PM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

One thing that has struck me about Allen's press interactions since rookie minicamp: he reminds me of the scene in Bull Durham where Crash Davis is tutoring Nuke LaLoosh:

"You're gonna have to learn your cliches....They're your friends"  I don't think you're going to catch Allen on-microphone saying anything that isn't team-oriented, positive, and politically correct.

This is great.   Allen is that kid.   He's just trying to figure it all out.    He doesn't know all the cliches yet, but he's learning them.   He had his episode with the racist tweets from high school, and he knows he doesn't want to go THERE again, so he's falling back on the cliches.  

19 hours ago, BUFFALOKIE said:

Bam! There it is! 

"19 and 0 baby" is my very favorite TBDism, especially when written by the OG OP!

Some day, some team will once again have a perfect season - I’m so glad it wasn’t Belicheat/Brady. .  My money is on our Bills.

(we shoulda been in Super Bowl 1 / we woulda won with the team we had.  God, how I hate Hank .Stram!)

19  & 0 baby!!!’

GO BILLSSS!!!!!!

• Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, billspro said:

He is competing against himself. If he continues to get better everyday he will be starting week 1.

True.   It's certainly a good sign that he did well enough in OTAs that he had moved up to first-team reps by the time training camp began.   Getting first-team is the first step toward getting first-team reps in preseason games.   

So he's begun the climb to the starting job.  Still, there's no way of knowing IF he can climb to the top or HOW QUICKLY he can climb to the top.   That depends in part on him and in part on what the other guys do. 

• Like (+1) 1