Josh Allen “not looking to beat anyone out”

7 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

This is what he said on One Bills Live...which kind of surprised me...I understand he’s trying to learn the offense and his team mates, but so are the other two guys...anyway, it looks like he’s not even expecting himself to start.

Just curious what everyone thinks about this...I know Baker Mayfield said, after the draft, that he expected to earn the starting job- and we all know what Rosen thinks of himself...so what are your thoughts on JA not looking to beat anyone out?

One thing that has struck me about Allen's press interactions since rookie minicamp: he reminds me of the scene in Bull Durham where Crash Davis is tutoring Nuke LaLoosh:

"You're gonna have to learn your cliches....They're your friends"  I don't think you're going to catch Allen on-microphone saying anything that isn't team-oriented, positive, and politically correct.

Don't confuse that with lacking competitive fire.

Taking it at face value, I think it makes a lot of sense as a training camp attitude.  Don't try to beat anyone out.  Just try to be your best self and continue to get better, and what happens will happen.

World and Olympic Champion Simone Biles was struggling with nerves in competition.  Reportedly her adoptive mom told her, "stop worrying about whether you're the best gymnast.  Just focus on being the best Simone that you can be."  See where that took her.

• Like (+1) 3

I think the focus is more on becoming acclimated. Getting to know the team, learn the system. I figured it might take some time for the guy to find his place. I wasn't big into thinking he was just going have it all figured out and be an instant starter as a rookie. 

I think Josh Allen knows the situation he is in. To say it bluntly, if you want to be a good QB for the Bills you are probably going to carry a team still in transition. 

That's why I'm not over reacting to anything. The situation is obvious. 

58 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

This is what he said on One Bills Live...which kind of surprised me...I understand he’s trying to learn the offense and his team mates, but so are the other two guys...anyway, it looks like he’s not even expecting himself to start.

Just curious what everyone thinks about this...I know Baker Mayfield said, after the draft, that he expected to earn the starting job- and we all know what Rosen thinks of himself...so what are your thoughts on JA not looking to beat anyone out?

I think he said the right thing. Being The new kid, he knows that OBD has plans for him. Why be a douche and tick off teamates?

Now if was Rex Ryan's kid one would expect the exact opposite. 

I just listened to the interview, he said exactly what he should have said.  Basically like what some have referenced above here, he is focusing on the big picture and being the best QB he can be.  This attitude and the way he responds will serve him well.  

This is not a sign of a lack of confidence.  It's just a sign that he knows the starting job has to be earned.  He's not going to say on opening day of training camp that he expects to start - that would just be disrespectful.  In his own mind, he perhaps keeps the mentality that he expects to start, but all 3 of the QBs have this mindset.  His low-key comments is just showing respect for the process of earning a starting spot and nothing more needs to be read into it.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, One Buffalo said:

I just listened to the interview, he said exactly what he should have said.  Basically like what some have referenced above here, he is focusing on the big picture and being the best QB he can be.  This attitude and the way he responds will serve him well.  

I agree.  The only time he needs to exhibit extreme confidence is when he is on the field, and he does that.  I believe he has the confidence and attitude to be successful.  Now, if we can fix his short passing game, he will be a long-time starter for us!