[Update: SIGNED!] When does Josh Allen Sign his contract

23 hours ago, The Bills Blog said:

Does anyone know if rookies get paid at all prior to signing their contracts? If not, how would a rookie from a poor family deal with the expenses?

All players get a per diem before the season starts.  1st year players (rookies and udfa's) get around $1,000.00 a week the last I heard.

1st year guys also get travel expenses.

Veteran players get a little more.

On 6/15/2018 at 11:38 AM, H2o said:

Nope, he has slow eyes. It's taking a while to read through the contract. :thumbsup:

EJ must have had someone read his rookie contract to him or we’d still be waiting! They’d call it the worlds’s longest holdout if you didn’t know better. 

(I’m sorry EJ, you’re a good guy. It’s just the years of frustration talking!) 

• Haha (+1) 1

On 6/15/2018 at 2:16 PM, The Bills Blog said:

Does anyone know if rookies get paid at all prior to signing their contracts? If not, how would a rookie from a poor family deal with the expenses?

16 hours ago, Jerome007 said:

Good question. And what if they get injured in those early camps? Sure it's no contact but it does happen.

They would get advances from their agents.

I believe they have injury insurance.

17 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

They would get advances from their agents.

I believe they have injury insurance.

I wonder how that whole world works? A college player can get insurance, but you never know where you’ll be drafted or how much it should be for. Do you pick a $$$ number and see what the premiums are? Does it vary by position? A kicker seems safer than a RB or WR. How about after being drafted? Are they insured for the middle of what the slotted $$$ would be for that pick, or just a portion of that? There are a lot of variables there. I wonder what the premiums look like for a #7 pick. The sooner you sign the more you save on premiums, but is that significant? 

And the last question along these lines....why am I so curious? 

Edited by Augie

2 minutes ago, Augie said:

I wonder how that whole world works? A college player can get insurance, but you never know where you’ll be drafted or how much it should be for. Do you pick a $$$ number and see what the premiums are? How about after being drafted? Are they insured for the middle of what the slotted $$$ would be for that pick, or just a portion of that? There are a lot of variables there. I wonder what the premiums look like for a #7 pick. The sooner you sign the more you save on premiums, but is that significant? 

And the last question along these lines....why am I so curious? 

...LMAO Augie......you seem to forget that the major universities do NOT have a salary cap so when these guys arrive at the NFL level, their "booty" already exceeds their max rook deal....as Switzer was eloquently quoted, " the ONLY difference in coaching the Cowboys versus the Sooners was that I did't have a salary cap in Oklahoma"...uh oh....

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/5/2018 at 2:44 PM, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...me thinks agents are waiting for Mayfield to sign first and set the bar for guaranteed money......once he signs, others will follow suit.......

The Browns are probably debating if they even need Mayfield since Tyrod is looking so good. :rolleyes:

But seriously, it's getting close to camp time. Sign a damn deal already.

• Haha (+1) 2

On 6/14/2018 at 6:56 PM, tumaro02 said:

Josh Allen's contract will be mostly or fully guaranteed. That will be about $23 million. Because it will be guaranteed the Bills will have to put that money in escrow by rule. Since he won't report to camp for 6 weeks it is likely he will sign the contract just prior to training camp.

Wish I could have the interest on that, even for just six weeks.

• 3 weeks later...

....as stated in multiple threads, this is the "agent waiting game"......Mayfield and Darnold are the lynch pins....even with the rook cap, the significant variables are guaranteed money and offset language (reference Boza holdout).....sad part is if Allen told his agent, "get ME the best deal possible regardless what the other two do so I can be in camp", it would garner ZERO respect from the TBD pick haters.....go figure...........

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, billspro said:

Probably when the Bills offer him a fully guaranteed deal like Barkley got. 

They better hit on this pick because it will be expensive.

Every 1st round pick gets a fully guaranteed deal. The only negotiations revolve around offsets and annual cash flow.

• Like (+1) 1