Russ Brandon - Leaving Role as President of Bills & Sabres due to workplace behavior and allegations of personal misconduct

2 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I just (this is my opinion) really have a problem with dating in the work place when one is higher on the food chain then the other an directly in a position to help them/hurt them/create job security/force sex for job security.

Now....this probably comes from my military background where this is strictly prohibited (like an officer dating a enlisted) so there is that.

It's not just your opinion, John, it's standard HR guidance given to every supervisor in every major company, and grounds for termination in most, because of the legal concept that free consent is clouded by an assymetrical power relationship.  I had to sit through hours of training on this stuff when I started supervising folks.

I’ve said it many times before and I will say it again: Pegs best move upon buying the Bills was to throw all Ralph’s trash to the curb and clean house... and that he would have to eventually learn the hard way that this was true.

Thank you and may God bless you, Pegs. :thumbsup:

• Like (+1) 4

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

It's not just your opinion, John, it's standard HR guidance given to every supervisor in every major company, and grounds for termination in most, because of the legal concept that free consent is clouded by an assymetrical power relationship.  I had to sit through hours of training on this stuff when I started supervising folks.

It simply cannot be done in the workplace without consequences. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, 26CornerBlitz said:

Educated guess.  Who knows whether they'll split the jobs with different heading PSE, the Bills, and Sabres. 

I definitely think they'll find a president to handle the Sabres, but I feel like Kim is hands-on enough with the Bills to be comfortable holding onto the President role at this point. We'll see.

1 minute ago, John from Riverside said:

I just (this is my opinion) really have a problem with dating in the work place when one is higher on the food chain then the other an directly in a position to help them/hurt them/create job security/force sex for job security.

Now....this probably comes from my military background where this is strictly prohibited (like an officer dating a enlisted) so there is that.

....and a very accurate assessment as well as respected opinion....power, authority & money corrupts.......how often was the phrase "she's sleeping her way to the top" heard and demeaned female(s)?............maybe true is some cases but how many cases involved threats if they choose not to?......once "in the fold", how to they get out?.......probably a ton of threats, reprisals and character assassinations lobbed to scare the hell out of them....in a certain sense, a statute of limitations makes sense.....on the other hand, maybe it doesn't if the threats were death & personal destruction.....

3 minutes ago, mannc said:

Had to be more than that...

Nope. You can't !@#$ women who work for you. And you can't have your wife leave you because your infidelities. And you can't constantly hit on women half your age and bed them.  

Both he and Whaley were one in the same. Booze, women, crazy life 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Captain Murica said:

Oh great, who are people going to blame for the Bills failures in the personnel department from this day forward ? 

The GM.  Just like it's supposed to be! :) 

1 minute ago, Lurker said:

Rico, you've been the biggest anti-Brandon guy I can think of on TSW.   This must be a happy day for you...:lol:

I’m extremely happy for the Pegulas, yes indeed. :D

SWEET MOTHER OF GOD! 

First the Sabres win the draft lottery, now OBD is finally removed of the foul stench of Russ Brandon.

I would write more, but I'm off to buy lottery tickets!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Just now, TakeYouToTasker said:

Right, so we've now determined that raping, pillaging, murdering are healthy male behavior...

And we've determined that going to work naked and jerking or at your desk are essentially the same thing as asking a woman out, or placing your hand on her shoulder.

That wasn't your question. You asked for examples of normal male behavior that aren't acceptable. 

Just read the EEOC. It's pretty clear what's allowed and what isn't. You are DEFINITELY on thin ice if you're going around the workplace asking women out or grabbing them by the shoulder...you may misunderstand the phrase 'unwanted'. It's not that you can only figure out afterwards whether your advance was unwanted and so you may as well go ahead with it; 'unwanted' can absolutely be applied antecedent to your advance. Recent California law has found 'affirmative consent' a prerequisite. 

Just now, Cripple Creek said:

Apparently he also worked some strange tail.

Your views are so different than mine, I'd be curious your take on this type of situation. Generally you stay things in eloquence that differs the way I believe but we end up at the same point. 

Wow.

Don’t care what good he has done for this franchise (which is debatable), but glad he “allegedly”  has shown his true colors and has been shown the door.

Find his statement interesting, either he truly didn’t do anything wrong, or is just a pathological liar.

1 minute ago, Boyst62 said:

Nope. You can't !@#$ women who work for you. And you can't have your wife leave you because your infidelities. And you can't constantly hit on women half your age and bed them.  

Both he and Whaley were one in the same. Booze, women, crazy life 

You are on fire today.  Bringing the information and speaking the truth.  Thanks for the insights.

25 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

People get all kind of stuff all mixed.  If the man were a media figure being deep-6'd by accusations in the media, with no legal process, you might have a point.

The man is an employee, employment at will.  His employer conducted an internal investigation and terminated him as a result of its findings.  Employers get to do that.  It's their right as businesses to choose whom they will employ and define the conditions of employment, within very broad legal guidelines.

I, you, and your little dog too have no right and no business with the details - no right to know how the investigation, no right to hear/see the evidence, and if Brandon is smart he'll keep his mouth shut and not tell his side, either.  This is not an issue of "Social Justice Warriors and those afraid to confront them".  This is long standing business practice and business employment law.  If I had (avert) ever been investigated by an employer and asked to resign or terminated, it could be an egregious violation of my privacy and rights for the employer to release details.

What is the source for the assertion that he is an at-will employee?  I find it very surprising that the person serving as the head of both an NFL and an NHL franchise would agree to that.  Normally, the terms of employment for  a position like that would be the result of a negotiated employment contract with attorneys on both sides, and the result would not be at will.    

43 minutes ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

What do you mean "taking advantage"?  By definition "consensual relationship" generally means no advantage was taken, but rather any advantage was freely given.

The standards should be applied evenly, otherwise we are living in a caste system.

If you learned anything other than that, I believe what you learned was wrong.  (Important to note, that's not a personal judgment about you, but rather about the material being discussed.)

Even if you think it’s consensual, or even if it actually IS consensual, it’s just plain dumb. How do I know this? Well, common sense and Russ is gone. Don’t put yourself in that position, or this is what can happen to you.  

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

Tell me what Russ Brandon did that was wrong. 

First, my post does not reference what he did (we don’t know for sure), I responded to your outdated view on what constitutes right and wrong. And, IMO, you don’t seem to get it. Good luck at the workplace!

I think it's important to note here that he was also untruthful when confronted about allegations and was later found to have been lying. That presumes that there was some sort of evidence to confirm he had in fact lied to the Pegulas in a previous interaction which sets up an entirely new series of fireable offenses. I'm also going to presume that in that previous meeting Russell was warned that any conduct of that nature would not be tolerated. He chose to lie and chose to continue doing what he had been doing. This isn't about the persecution of the American male in the work place, it's about an unethical person who got caught lying to his boss.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Robert James said:

What is the source for the assertion that he is an at-will employee?  I find it very surprising that the person serving as the head of both an NFL and an NHL franchise would agree to that.  Normally, the terms of employment for  a position like that would be the result of a negotiated employment contract with attorneys on both sides, and the result would not be at will.    

Valid point, I'm sure Russ had a contract.  I sit corrected.  Counter point: contract very likely had a bunch of "outs" in it for morals, conduct detrimental, etc etc which put a lot of the "at will" back in, even where that isn't the correct legal descriptive

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Rob's House said:

It's only wrong if she doesn't want to.

I dont agree with that (once again jmo)

A multitude of problems occur with this.

- Trading sex for advancement

- Holding sex over someones head for the opportunity for advancement

- People break up....sometimes its messy.....if someone is willing to date one at a work place they will another.....creating more drama....jobs dont need drama.

If I choose to chase tail there is a ton of playces I can go within 5 miles of my job or my house.

• Like (+1) 1

Also in the Buff News article is that they found other business related deceit outside of the relationships.  I'm very curious what those details are and wouldn't be surprised if that was an even bigger deal and reason he was forces to leave.  

I've wanted Russ gone for well over 10 yrs.  The guy just seemed like such a weasel.  I've been to probably 10 road games the last few yrs.  and it always concerned me that the Pegulas were chaperoned all over the field pregame by Russ.  He had way too much clout in this organization for far too long, IMO.

5 minutes ago, Robert James said:

Absolutely correct.

5 minutes ago, JoeF said:

You are on fire today.  Bringing the information and speaking the truth.  Thanks for the insights.

I could have posted this all around noon after someone said something in a group an two follow ups confirmed.

PSE wase trying to wait until Friday for this.