Russ Brandon - Leaving Role as President of Bills & Sabres due to workplace behavior and allegations of personal misconduct

20 minutes ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

Hardly, and I'd say you're being dismissive of reality.  It's an incredibly one sided process. 

There's a reason that the #metoo movement has precipitated a large scale pullback by men in the work place, exiting mentor relationships, being less willing to work/travel with female co-workers in a 1:1 capacity etc.  There is a very real push to "believe the accuser" as opposed to finding the truth.  This is a real thing.

I don't know that's the case with Brandon.  Could be that he's a POS, and was serially abusive and grossly inappropriate, but until I know for sure, I won't celebrate his, or anyone else's dismissal (or recusal) on these grounds.  This shouldn't be controversial.

As an aside, your lecturing anyone about their biases is the height of irony.

Is awkwardly and overtly hitting on married women who were not soliciting such an advance behavior detrimental to an organization?

If it is...You can rest easy now as Russ was fired with cause as I know directly of such occurrence.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Estro said:

I've wanted Russ gone for well over 10 yrs.  The guy just seemed like such a weasel.  I've been to probably 10 road games the last few yrs.  and it always concerned me that the Pegulas were chaperoned all over the field pregame by Russ.  He had way too much clout in this organization for far too long, IMO.

smh.   As new owners, that's exactly what Brandon should have been doing...

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Valid point, I'm sure Russ had a contract.  I sit corrected.  Counter point: contract very likely had a bunch of "outs" in it for morals, conduct detrimental, etc etc which put a lot of the "at will" back in, even where that isn't the correct legal descriptive

I'm sure there are defined "outs" in the contract (and some probably cover the conduct alleged here), but specified contractual terms defining the circumstances under which the employee may be fired is the exact opposite of at will. 

1 minute ago, Boyst62 said:

I could have posted this all around noon after someone said something in a group an two follow ups confirmed.

PSE wase trying to wait until Friday for this. 

To Kim and Terry--this ruins the good karma of the NHL lottery and the draft...I can see wanting to bask on that for a few days.   Stuff like this just doesn't hold. 

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

All I can say is I have known two people, both women that have had interactions with Brandon and they both said he was an !@#$.

1 minute ago, John from Riverside said:

I dont agree with that (once again jmo)

A multitude of problems occur with this.

- Trading sex for advancement

- Holding sex over someones head for the opportunity for advancement

- People break up....sometimes its messy.....if someone is willing to date one at a work place they will another.....creating more drama....jobs dont need drama.

Add to it even if no trade or holding-over or break-up

-voids impartiality of performance reviews for that employee

-voids perception of impartiality for other employees who learn of the relationship

-creates a giant stinking legal quagmire for business owner

Just now, K-GunJimKelly12 said:

All I can say is I have known two people, both women that have had interactions with Brandon and they both said he was an !@#$.

Regardless of what one thinks about this sexual harassment business, that last word is what describes Brandon best. 

2 minutes ago, Robert James said:

I'm sure there are defined "outs" in the contract (and some probably cover the conduct alleged here), but specified contractual terms defining the circumstances under which the employee may be fired is the exact opposite of at will. 

Dude, I said I sit corrected and conceded your point.  Do you need a concession speech or ?

• Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, fridge said:

Okay okay okay... the infidelity/workplace misconduct, fine. I'm sorry to hear that, and I'm glad he's gone.

But...is anyone else super excited to find out more about the other "job-related issues that were uncovered"? What wild speculation should we run with there? Meddling with the franchises beyond the scope of marketing? Internal threats? Financial shadiness? General snake-like behavior?

It sounds like he should have kept his snake-like behavior in his trousers.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, Augie said:

Even if you think it’s consensual, or even if it actually IS consensual, it’s just plain dumb. How do I know this? Well, common sense and Russ is gone. Don’t put yourself in that position, or this is what can happen to you.  

I'd rather play and risk some scrapes and bruises than sit safely on the sideline.

1 hour ago, blacklabel said:

People can hate on Brandon all they want but there's something to be said about a guy who can consistently sell out Bills games while in the midst of a 17-year playoff drought and most seasons playing meaningless games by December.

Yep - expect a huge drop in attendance in 2018 and beyond once everyone realizes Russ Brandon is no longer in charge. In fact, I expect half of season ticket holders to demand refunds.

In case you couldn't tell, I'm being sarcastic.

54 minutes ago, JoeF said:

Any intracompany relationship when you are the CEO will be viewed as taking advantage.  No matter consensual or not.  Its part of the role.  You are the company, the entity, the owner's representative, the ultimate operational authority.  You approve hiring, firing, promoting.   

Any relationship that becomes intimate or personal is seen internally and externally as one that could compromise the company and compromise your decision-making ability.  If you don't get this -- I am really at a loss for how to explain it other than this.

That was an excellent explanation.  Great job.

2 minutes ago, JoeF said:

To Kim and Terry--this ruins the good karma of the NHL lottery and the draft...I can see wanting to bask on that for a few days.   Stuff like this just doesn't hold. 

I don’t see it as a total negative. Yes, it’s a terrible thing for the organization and the women involved, but the Pegulas appear to have handled it professionally and hopefully it sends a positive signal to fans that the team’s priorities are correct. 

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Rob's House said:

I'd rather play and risk some scrapes and bruises than sit safely on the sideline.

I've found most guys who get in trouble for workplace harassment can't hack it after hours. They need the captured audience.

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Even if we leave the murdering/raping/pillaging out (which were, and in some places and cultures still are, examples of desirable or 'healthy' male behavior) we're still left with an entire universe of things that human males (and females too) are prohibited from doing which would otherwise be considered normal healthy male behavior, both in public and especially in the workplace. There's a reason most offices have a dress code and a rule against masturbating at your desk, and it's not because the SJWs are after you.

Jeepers, do I have to go back and read our company handbook again.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts
  • Haha (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, JoeF said:

Any intracompany relationship when you are the CEO will be viewed as taking advantage.  No matter consensual or not.  Its part of the role.  You are the company, the entity, the owner's representative, the ultimate operational authority.  You approve hiring, firing, promoting.   

Any relationship that becomes intimate or personal is seen internally and externally as one that could compromise the company and compromise your decision-making ability.  If you don't get this -- I am really at a loss for how to explain it other than this.

This is exactly correct. 

You know I saw some Bills news flash on the NFL network ticker and ran online to see what it was.  

When I found out it was about Russ, well it was essentially a non-event for me. 

living outside of Buffalo and having no interest in hockey, this news is meh. 

Russ did a nice job marketing a nationally irrelevant team in a very small market. 

Now the fact he presided over the entire drought is certainly a negative.  Hopefully this  begins a new era for the Bills!

2 minutes ago, Rob's House said:

There is everyone else in the world you can “play” with. ALMOST the entire popultion of the planet! This is horrible judgement and it makes me seriously question the man. The scrapes and bruises he faces includes the loss of a 7 figure job and public shame to go with a discredited professional reputation.  Ooops! 

I had a guy who worked for me at a bank, who I sighted several times with a young lady who reported to him. I gently let him know I had noticed, and she found work at another bank. There are very good reasons this is not appropriate behavior, many of which have been cited above. (They are still happily married about 25 years later :))

1 hour ago, blacklabel said:

People can hate on Brandon all they want but there's something to be said about a guy who can consistently sell out Bills games while in the midst of a 17-year playoff drought and most seasons playing meaningless games by December. Obviously he should have never been put in a GM role but that was Ralph Wilson's decision. He's also responsible for developing training camp at St. John Fisher which is typically referred to one of the nicest and most fan-interactive camps in the league by those that visit it.

I wonder what's causing the shake up? I'd assume they feel pretty good about the Bills right now. Ended the drought in the third year of their ownership. Just pulled the trigger and drafted what they think is their franchise QB. Hired the head coach they wanted all along, even before Rex. Sabres, on the other hand, tanked an entire season for nothing. Constant upheaval at the top since they bought the team. Dismal last two seasons, each with different coaches that can't seem to reach the players or figure out the best way to utilize their players. 

Should be interesting to learn more.

EDIT - In the time I spent typing up this post the information behind Brandon's departure was added to the thread. So uh... welp. Seems like Russ is a dingbat.

I live in California so I’ve only been to one game in buffalo it was amazing!!! But all you guys on this board that go to those games and consistently sell them out should take the credit!!! Not Russ Brandon and his slimy sales tactics!! After all its you guys that make it fun to go to those meaningless games in December not because of Russ Brandon but the tailgating (table jumping) and crowd energy! Keep it up!! Love it!!  

Bye ?? RB!!

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Rob's House said:

Hmmmmm

That is a interesting take when your talking about your job.

Is Brandon married?  Have kids?  those "scrapes" can be expensive.

For me it goes deeper then that.....I would have to go home and look those kids in the eye.   Different interpretations of being a "man" I guess.

Not entirely surprising as I've heard things about the man over the years from people that knew him personally. That at times he was a weasel.

I never wanted him fired, just away from the football side. Now though, glad he is done. 

1 hour ago, Klaista2k said:

Dude that has nothing to do with Russ Brandon's marketing.

People in WNY are just passionate about the Bills and are always gonna go to the games. 

Not entirely true. Rochester fan base was energized by the SJF training camp move and the So. Ontario fan base grew. He was a solid marketer, just not a great football guy. I wouldn't denigrate his success because of what he did in a role he should if never  been in. Sorry he trashed his gig with misconduct. Self inflicted wound Russ.