Russ Brandon - Leaving Role as President of Bills & Sabres due to workplace behavior and allegations of personal misconduct

2 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I am a student advisor at a university in California......I am surrounded by over 18 "tens" all day long that I advise and they are highly impressionable because of this.....

In the 17 years I have been doing this job I have never ONCE had a relationship at my work....not even with another staff member.

"dont @*$* where you work/eat"

It's because people generally do not understand the concept of consent as it pertains to workplace relationships.

1 minute ago, dezertbill said:

Russ was a dynamic ad mind that kept this team's season ticket and marketing afloat for decades longer than it should have.

And having hung out with him once upon a time, he was a really good dude.  Isn't a guy on this board that wouldn't enjoy having a beer with him.

Sad day. But in today's world (especially with a female owner) one that doesn't tolerate extra marital affairs or unwelcome work misconduct.

Gross. Take your creepy 1950's mentality and get out of here.

29 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

I'm not sure if the older folks will get a Killers reference.

29 minutes ago, fridge said:

Good point. The average age of their fan base is around 34.5 years.

I recognized it and I'm older than 34.5

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

He is (was) an at will employee, and his employers did choose to fire him.  That's their right, and one I support fully.

I do not, however, in this environment, on the heels of a runaway #metoo movement built by individuals actively seeking to harm powerful men by pathologizing normal healthy male sexuality, trust anyone making this sort of decision unless they present evidence.

I understand why you do, because we all know where your bread is buttered.

P.S. I don't really care about your opinion about my "optics".  I'm concerned with realities, not optics; and the reality is that this sort of thing happens far too frequently to men guilty of nothing more than being men; but they are presumed to be guilty of whatever they are charged with, and it's wrong.

'Normal' healthy male behavior consists of a shitload of things that are outlawed for the benefit of society. Been that way for a few millennia now.

5 minutes ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

He is (was) an at will employee, and his employers did choose to fire him.  That's their right, and one I support fully.

I do not, however, in this environment, on the heels of a runaway #metoo movement built by individuals actively seeking to harm powerful men by pathologizing normal healthy male sexuality, trust anyone making this sort of decision unless they present evidence.

P.S. I don't really care about your opinion about my "optics".  I'm concerned with realities, not optics; and the reality is that this sort of thing happens far too frequently to men guilty of nothing more than being men; but they are presumed to be guilty of whatever they are charged with, and it's wrong.

Yikes.  For the record I stopped agreeing with you about 5 posts back... you've gone well off the rails.  You were right when you said "we don't know what happened yet."  Since then...

• Thank you (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

While I'm sure this will be an unpopular opinion here, both because of Brandon's (some would say deserved) unpopularity amongst the fan base, and because of a rush by SJWs and those afraid to confront them, to assume the guilt of any man accused of misbehavior; before I celebrate steps towards the financial ruin of another human being, I'd like to hear/see the evidence, know how the investigation was conducted, and hear Brandon's side.

Until then I stand opposed, on principle.

People get all kind of stuff all mixed.  If the man were a media figure being deep-6'd by accusations in the media, with no legal process, you might have a point.

The man is an employee, employment at will.  His employer conducted an internal investigation and terminated him as a result of its findings.  Employers get to do that.  It's their right as businesses to choose whom they will employ and define the conditions of employment, within very broad legal guidelines.

I, you, and your little dog too have no right and no business with the details - no right to know how the investigation, no right to hear/see the evidence, and if Brandon is smart he'll keep his mouth shut and not tell his side, either.  This is not an issue of "Social Justice Warriors and those afraid to confront them".  This is long standing business practice and business employment law.  If I had (avert) ever been investigated by an employer and asked to resign or terminated, it could be an egregious violation of my privacy and rights for the employer to release details.

• Like (+1) 4

I had a message starting this morning before lunch about it after hearing rumors before about him being unfaithful. I checked on these messages, no joke, with a girl I met on Tinder in Buffalo who is Uber hot and spent time with the team and she confirmed he was sleeping with half of Grand island. That alone was enough for me to wait a few more until more confirmation. 

It's impossible to know exactly what Brandon did, but I will say that the statement by the organization is strongly worded.  Terms like "personal misconduct" don't often get bandied about in press releases like this.  I think we're talking about something significantly worse than Russ just dating one or two girls who work for the organization.  It's also worth noting that Brandon probably was NOT an employee-at-will, so in order to constitute cause for termination, the (mis)conduct that he was accused of probably had to rise to a higher level than would justify firing your typical employee.

Edited by mannc
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, mannc said:

It's impossible to know exactly what Brandon did, but I will say that the statement by the organization is strongly worded.  Terms like "personal misconduct" don't often get bandied about in press releases like this.  I think we're talking about something significantly worse than Russ just dating one or two girls who work for the organization.  It's also worth noting that Brandon probably was NOT an employee-at-will, so in order to constitute cause for termination, the (mis)conduct that he was accused of probably had to rise to a higher level than would justify firing you typical employee.

Good points.

Just now, Boyst62 said:

I had a message starting this morning before lunch about it after hearing rumors before about him being unfaithful. I checked on these messages, no joke, with a girl I met on Tinder in Buffalo who is Uber hot and spent time with the team and she confirmed he was sleeping with half of Grand island. That alone was enough for me to wait a few more until more confirmation. 

So hot that she drives for uber?

14 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

One would have to assume it was a multiple time thing with the same woman.

Otherwise, what impetus would there be for "resignation?"

Like I said, Joe, in this environment I'm always hesitant to celebrate this sort of thing because it's always too one sided.

Again, I'm not saying he shouldn't be gone.  I'm just saying that I'd want to know exactly why before I'd celebrate it.  This shouldn't be controversial.

1 minute ago, mannc said:

It's impossible to know exactly what Brandon did, but I will say that the statement by the organization is strongly worded.  Terms like "personal misconduct" don't often get bandied about in press releases like this.  I think we're talking about something significantly worse than Russ just dating one or two girls who work for the organization.  It's also worth noting that Brandon probably was NOT an employee-at-will, so in order to constitute cause for termination, the (mis)conduct that he was accused of probably had to rise to a higher level than would justify firing you typical employee.

This is fair, and should absolutely be part of the conversation.

14 minutes ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

actively seeking to harm powerful men by pathologizing normal healthy male sexuality,

Spoken like a true man! People in the work place are not there for your sexual advances. Do that **** on your own time.

4 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

'Normal' healthy male behavior consists of a shitload of things that are outlawed for the benefit of society. Been that way for a few millennia now.

Give me a list of things you feel are "normal healthy male behavior" on this list.

12 minutes ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

Could you expand on that statement?  Would really like to hear more.

34 minutes ago, JoeF said:

Not fired, but it impacted a contract renewal and I decided to go off on my own...

I owned it with my board, came completely clean and when the time came to extend my deal, I left.   Its been a great decision to both own it and go off on my own, but I had to suck it up.  Life is sometimes about understanding your own weaknesses, admitting them, asking for and getting help and moving on.  

It wasn't harassment but consensual in a unique situation. Neither party was married, but I was the senior executive.  The standards are different.

Aaah!  A new definition for "high level business meetings".

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, BillsFan692 said:

Spoken like a true man! People in the work place are not there for your sexual advances. Do that **** on your own time.

People are people first, wherever they are.  I don't stop being a man, and a woman does not stop being a woman, no matter where we are; and in today's world we spend more time with the people we work with, at work, then we do anywhere else or with anyone else.  Work makes up the overwhelming majority of most people's entire social circle.  It is OK to make an advance towards someone you find attractive, even at work.

• Sad 1

Just now, TakeYouToTasker said:

Like I said, Joe, in this environment I'm always hesitant to celebrate this sort of thing because it's always too one sided.

Again, I'm not saying he shouldn't be gone.  I'm just saying that I'd want to know exactly why before I'd celebrate it.  This shouldn't be controversial.

This is where you always go off the rails.  You pretend to demand objectivity yet you come into these discussions with an obvious (and harebrained) bias.

6 minutes ago, mannc said:

It's impossible to know exactly what Brandon did, but I will say that the statement by the organization is strongly worded.  Terms like "personal misconduct" don't often get bandied about in press releases like this.  I think we're talking about something significantly worse than Russ just dating one or two girls who work for the organization.  It's also worth noting that Brandon probably was NOT an employee-at-will, so in order to constitute cause for termination, the (mis)conduct that he was accused of probably had to rise to a higher level than would justify firing your typical employee.

No, it's not. I know exactly what it was that broke the camel's back.  She is no longer employed at PSE, not even downtown the hall

Russ never should have been the GM of the Bills, but I appreciate his contributions and efforts in keeping the Bills in Buffalo.  I do not know much of a role he really had in the sale process of the Bills, but he clearly was effective in marketing the Bills during some difficult times and poor teams. 

I am in no way defending or mitigating his actions, but I do think he was good at the primary responsibility of his job (marketing the Bills).

Edited by jahnyc
  • Like (+1) 2

I am not sure if the team stays in Buffalo with out Russ,  maybe it would have but still I feel like he did a lot of behind the scenes stuff to keep the team in place .  Other than that he was in over his head with every other aspect of the team except marketing.   Let Kim take over put her stamp on things and move forward 

• Like (+1) 1