RD1, Pick 7: Josh Allen QB - Wyoming

SDS

14 hours ago, cd1 said:

I was numb when they announced his name.

Now I can't wait to see what this kid can do with NFL caliber players around him!

Best QB in the draft hands down! Dude had trash WR's. The throw across his body with 50 yards in the air says it all. The guy will be a hall of famer, mark it down. Anybody slamming him for his accuracy clearly didn't see what he can do with NFL calibar WR's. 

• Like (+1) 1

I think there are a few reasons why his stats are unimpressive compared to that of the other quarterbacks selected in the 1st Round.

1. He is inexperienced:

Not just in terms of college (although he did spend a year at JUCO before going to Wyoming), but in terms of overall development. When guys like Rosen, Darnold, and Rudolph were teenagers, they were going to Manning passing camps and basically training for a professional career. Mayfield I’m not sure about, but his career in general is an outlier as well.

2. Wyoming ran an aggressive offense that was very pro-style in form: 

He took a lot of snaps from under center. His route tree might not have been that much further down the field, but there wasn’t the same type of gimmicky stuff that Mayfield, Rudolph or even Darnold ran in college. 

3. His team was garbage:

Now people will say “but so were his opponents” and “he never played up when they played better competition”. And that’s true. But at the same time, he probably looked bad because of #1, #2 above and the fact that playing against better talent, he felt he had to try to be the difference, and didn’t have the right tools to succeed. 

And I think there are reasons to be hopeful:

1. Don’t forget that arm:

i know it’s not everything, but if we have another game like we did against Indianapolis this past year, or heavy rains and those issues, Allen’s arm can get the ball through that weather. 

2. Strong Run Support:

Shady is still here. The Oline suffered a loss in Incognito, but Groy will cover adequately for Wood. 

3. Strong Defense:

Allen won’t have to come out and sling the ball and go after 30pts per game for this offense. Shady will do a lot of the work. But the defense got a nice boost this off-season. Lotulelei and Murphy give more talent and depth to the front-four. Edmunds has a chance to be a special talent at middle linebacker. And the defensive backs just got a lot of nice depth added in through the draft as well (I really think Siran Neal will be a steal). They want to build a defense that can carry this team. Allen will be allowed to grow into the position. 

4. He’s a smart kid:

people seem to see Allen’s accuracy as the main issue. A lot of people associate with his inability to process the game and therefore think he might not be that intelligent. But yet according to multiple league sources, he was great on the white board. He also scored a 37 on the wonderlic. Not that it means that much, but a higher score is an indication that he can comprehend information. 

5. He seems like a worker:

this is just my own personal vibe. But I get the feeling that this guy isn’t going to be a Cutler and be a lazy punk. He’s going to come to work every day, give it his all, and devote himself to improving his game.

7. I don’t remember the exact quote, but Trent Dilfer was on Rich Eisen’s show a while ago with another guy, and they were talking about how completion percentage is becoming an outdated stat, and isn’t always a great indication of a quarterbacks accuracy. Basically the point was that completion percentage should be considered more of a team statistic, and that its an indicator of offensive success, not just the quarterback. I do think this does hold some validity. And I know there’s film where Allen is inaccurate, but at the same time there’s film where he’s dead on. And while people will say that’s a point to show he’s inconsistent, people aren’t there behind the scenes to see what his coaches are teaching him to be better, and if they were developing him properly, or if the system was set up in a way for the team to be successful. 

My conclusion:

Let Allen sit for a year. Or at least half the season. Allow the team to build up the offense next off-season, and let him come in and start with a better cast, with a better understanding of the pro game and what’s expected, in 2019. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Dkollidas said:

I think there are a few reasons why his stats are unimpressive compared to that of the other quarterbacks selected in the 1st Round.

1. He is inexperienced:

Not just in terms of college (although he did spend a year at JUCO before going to Wyoming), but in terms of overall development. When guys like Rosen, Darnold, and Rudolph were teenagers, they were going to Manning passing camps and basically training for a professional career. Mayfield I’m not sure about, but his career in general is an outlier as well.

2. Wyoming ran an aggressive offense that was very pro-style in form: 

He took a lot of snaps from under center. His route tree might not have been that much further down the field, but there wasn’t the same type of gimmicky stuff that Mayfield, Rudolph or even Darnold ran in college. 

3. His team was garbage:

Now people will say “but so were his opponents” and “he never played up when they played better competition”. And that’s true. But at the same time, he probably looked bad because of #1, #2 above and the fact that playing against better talent, he felt he had to try to be the difference, and didn’t have the right tools to succeed. 

And I think there are reasons to be hopeful:

1. Don’t forget that arm:

i know it’s not everything, but if we have another game like we did against Indianapolis this past year, or heavy rains and those issues, Allen’s arm can get the ball through that weather. 

2. Strong Run Support:

Shady is still here. The Oline suffered a loss in Incognito, but Groy will cover adequately for Wood. 

3. Strong Defense:

Allen won’t have to come out and sling the ball and go after 30pts per game for this offense. Shady will do a lot of the work. But the defense got a nice boost this off-season. Lotulelei and Murphy give more talent and depth to the front-four. Edmunds has a chance to be a special talent at middle linebacker. And the defensive backs just got a lot of nice depth added in through the draft as well (I really think Siran Neal will be a steal). They want to build a defense that can carry this team. Allen will be allowed to grow into the position. 

4. He’s a smart kid:

people seem to see Allen’s accuracy as the main issue. A lot of people associate with his inability to process the game and therefore think he might not be that intelligent. But yet according to multiple league sources, he was great on the white board. He also scored a 37 on the wonderlic. Not that it means that much, but a higher score is an indication that he can comprehend information. 

5. He seems like a worker:

this is just my own personal vibe. But I get the feeling that this guy isn’t going to be a Cutler and be a lazy punk. He’s going to come to work every day, give it his all, and devote himself to improving his game.

7. I don’t remember the exact quote, but Trent Dilfer was on Rich Eisen’s show a while ago with another guy, and they were talking about how completion percentage is becoming an outdated stat, and isn’t always a great indication of a quarterbacks accuracy. Basically the point was that completion percentage should be considered more of a team statistic, and that its an indicator of offensive success, not just the quarterback. I do think this does hold some validity. And I know there’s film where Allen is inaccurate, but at the same time there’s film where he’s dead on. And while people will say that’s a point to show he’s inconsistent, people aren’t there behind the scenes to see what his coaches are teaching him to be better, and if they were developing him properly, or if the system was set up in a way for the team to be successful. 

My conclusion:

Let Allen sit for a year. Or at least half the season. Allow the team to build up the offense next off-season, and let him come in and start with a better cast, with a better understanding of the pro game and what’s expected, in 2019. 

He's only a junior too. He and Edmunds will grow up in the NFL. 3 years from now they'll be the heart of a very good team.

This is all I could find, but it's Ben Roethlisberger's college highlights. Some one tell me with a straight face that Josh Allen doesn't appear way more impressive. Some of this looks like "Big" Ben was playing at Buff State. 

If this were Allen's reel, people would be out of their minds right now. 

Edited by OJABBA

Well to start out from wyoming, born and raised, wyo cowboy since 1989, bills mafia has gained another member...well im sure about 500k members. Cant wait tell training camp, allen is going to blow everyone away, i remember his first spring game, he is just such a competitor. Yes he has tons to learn, work on, but his athletic ability is scary good. Cant wait. Ive converted over 100%. Not to mention bills uni is like damn near idintical to the wyo state flag! That makes cheering for this team super easy! I hope/pray allen makes his potential, bring buffalo back to the early 90's number 17! Go wyo go Bills!

• Like (+1) 8
  • Thank you (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Wyobills89 said:

Well to start out from wyoming, born and raised, wyo cowboy since 1989, bills mafia has gained another member...well im sure about 500k members. Cant wait tell training camp, allen is going to blow everyone away, i remember his first spring game, he is just such a competitor. Yes he has tons to learn, work on, but his athletic ability is scary good. Cant wait. Ive converted over 100%. Not to mention bills uni is like damn near idintical to the wyo state flag! That makes cheering for this team super easy! I hope/pray allen makes his potential, bring buffalo back to the early 90's number 17! Go wyo go Bills!

Welcome!!

• Thank you (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, OJABBA said:

This is all I could find, but it's Ben Roethlisberger's college highlights. Some one tell me with a straight face that Josh Allen doesn't appear way more impressive. Some of this looks like "Big" Ben was playing at Buff State. 

If this were Allen's reel, people would be out of their minds right now. 

Its a highlight reel. No one should care about highlights. I care about lowlights.

32 minutes ago, TheTruthHurts said:

Its a highlight reel. No one should care about highlights. I care about lowlights.

Well I'm sure your a great guy, with very high standards. Snarky !@$hole

The real point is to show that Roethlisberger was playing against defenses that weren't very sophisticated, and inferior athletes. 

But anyway, why don't you show me who Josh Allen DOES compare to?

Who is this crap failure that Josh Allen is sure to follow as a bust?

Coming back to this thread in a few years will be very interesting.

Edited by OJABBA

37 minutes ago, OJABBA said:

The real point is to show that Roethlisberger was playing against defenses that weren't very sophisticated, and inferior athletes. 

But anyway, why don't you show me who Josh Allen DOES compare to?

Who is this crap failure that Josh Allen is sure to follow as a bust?

Coming back to this thread in a few years will be very interesting.

You could have said all that without personal insults. It's just football talk, don't take it personal. 

I've defended Allen with a similar point. Not every situation is equal in college football. Allen could easily put up 40 passing TD's in the air raid offense Baker Mayfield played in. Late round and Undrafted QB's have done it multiple times. 

I've actually compared Allen to Cam Newton after watching film. Not his overall running ability, Cam is just superior but everything else is very Cam Newton like. Cam however had an ability to rise up and carry his teams with both his arm and legs, something I've yet to see from Allen. 

57 minutes ago, TheTruthHurts said:

You could have said all that without personal insults. It's just football talk, don't take it personal. 

I've defended Allen with a similar point. Not every situation is equal in college football. Allen could easily put up 40 passing TD's in the air raid offense Baker Mayfield played in. Late round and Undrafted QB's have done it multiple times. 

I've actually compared Allen to Cam Newton after watching film. Not his overall running ability, Cam is just superior but everything else is very Cam Newton like. Cam however had an ability to rise up and carry his teams with both his arm and legs, something I've yet to see from Allen. 

I like the Cam Newton comparison but the Ben Roethlisberger comparison you are going to hear a lot.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, NewDayBills said:

I like the Cam Newton comparison but the Ben Roethlisberger comparison you are going to hear a lot.

I like to think of him as a more mobile Flacco. You also hear Wentz a lot due to near identical measurables, same college coach, small conference, etc.

2 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

I like to think of him as a more mobile Flacco. You also hear Wentz a lot due to near identical measurables, same college coach, small conference, etc.

He really is like Wentz with nitro boosters.

Same size, same offense, same raw feet coming out of college, both intelligent, both able to miraculously escape pressure.

Wentz sounds like he was further along on the command of game side. Allen is more mobile, and, of course, has the bigger arm.

Just now, NewDayBills said:

If he ends up anything remotely like Wentz I am happy.

Have you looked at the numbers side by side? It's pretty crazy.

QB1:
6'4 7/8"

237 lbs

33 1/4" arms

10 1/8" hands

4.75 40

119 Broad

6.9 3-Cone

37 Wonderlic

QB2:

6'5"

237 lbs

33 1/4" arms

10" hands

4.77 40

118 Broad

6.86 3-Cone

40 Wonderlic

4 minutes ago, LEBills said:

He really is like Wentz with nitro boosters.

Same size, same offense, same raw feet coming out of college, both intelligent, both able to miraculously escape pressure.

Wentz sounds like he was further along on the command of game side. Allen is more mobile, and, of course, has the bigger arm.

It kind of sucks that the collarbone injury happened for Allen, because he missed out on some good experience while they still had some talent on O. But I think he's further along mentally than some people think. Regardless, I hope he comes together like that guy in Philly.

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

It kind of sucks that the collarbone injury happened for Allen, because he missed out on some good experience while they still had some talent on O. But I think he's further along mentally than some people think. Regardless, I hope he comes together like that guy in Philly.

Oh I agree. Allen did more at the line than other QBs coming out did, especially in his junior year. It sounds like Wentz was just a prodigy when it came to it.

The biggest thing with Wentz is, he struggled his first year and then did really well once the Eagles filled out their roster with good players. Allen can be the same if the bills support him with the line and WRs every QB needs.

• Like (+1) 1

I wish I could say im surprised by the reaction of this board but I think we all know that no matter who we took half of the ppl would like it and half would hate it. I wanted Rosen but after seeing that interview after Arizona took him I want nothing to do with him and feel we took the right guy. I wasn't an allen guy before the draft but sionce we took him id like to think Beane knows a little more than I do so im on board

Summary of @GMFB this morning

QB most likely to win a playoff game: Darnold

QB most likely to turn franchise around: Mayfield

QB who is in the best situation: Rosen

QB where you can tell ownership after he busts, hey at least he looked like a QB when we drafted him: Allen

2 hours ago, OJABBA said:

Any one of these drafted QB's has a great highlight reel, same as in years past.  Deshone Kizer has plenty of highlights, but if you bother to watch his game film, it becomes apparent if his primary is covered he struggles to do progressions and make quick decisions.  He's at best a backup in this league.

Josh Allen made a lot of poor decisions in his game film, and a good number of poor quality passes.  He also had no feel for the edge rushers, though decent pocket awareness otherwise.  He made some great throws also, both in timing and placement.  But sailed or inaccurate on many.

Knowing his Wonderlic score, raw talent, and sometimes poor footwork, I have warmed to the possibility of him being able to develop into a franchise guy.

But in seeing what he can't do on his game film, it'll take time.  That's not intending to be snarky, just get a realistic picture for a position that's very difficult to evaluate.

1 hour ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

I was thinking Jumbo Tannehill with an elite arm

I'd feel a little better if we had a lot of great offensive minds surrounding Allen because he is a talented mold of clay. A lot of pressure on Daboll and Culley.

Edited by FeelingOnYouboty

Going into the draft, my QB wish list went like this:

1. Mayfield 

2. Darnold

3.  Rosen

4. Allen

When we traded up to 7, and Rosen was still there, I thought for sure we were going to grab the other Josh. Nope they announced Josh Allen instead. I was furious. So was about 90% of the fans sitting with me at the Anchor Bar on Transit. Then I watched Rosen get drafted a few picks later. For the first time I noticed what an arrogant, entitled little weasel he is. When I got back to my room I started watching videos of each of them. Rosen comes off as a spoiled kid that has had everything handed to him. Allen is just the opposite. He’s had to work for everything he’s gotten. He’s humble. He’s appreciative. He’s a Buffalo guy. For those of you who are still pissed we didn’t take Rosen, I’d encourage you to do the same. Watch their interviews and form your OWN decision, not some “expert” with a blog...

• Like (+1) 9

1 minute ago, Seanbillsfan2206 said:

1. Mayfield 

2. Darnold

3.  Rosen

4. Allen

When we traded up to 7, and Rosen was still there, I thought for sure we were going to grab the other Josh. Nope they announced Josh Allen instead. I was furious. So was about 90% of the fans sitting with me at the Anchor Bar on Transit. Then I watched Rosen get drafted a few picks later. For the first time I noticed what an arrogant, entitled little weasel he is. When I got back to my room I started watching videos of each of them. Rosen comes off as a spoiled kid that has had everything handed to him. Allen is just the opposite. He’s had to work for everything he’s gotten. He’s humble. He’s appreciative. He’s a Buffalo guy. For those of you who are still pissed we didn’t take Rosen, I’d encourage you to do the same. Watch their interviews and form your OWN decision, not some “expert” with a blog...

I also liked Rosen and to be honest.. I don't take to heart what Rosen has said has said to the media. Over confidence either gets you a long way in this league or you get stomped on. there is no in between here. lets just see how it end :D should be fun to watch

2 minutes ago, Seanbillsfan2206 said:

1. Mayfield 

2. Darnold

3.  Rosen

4. Allen

I was getting ready to rip on you until I read the body of your statement.  I agree.  All aboard the Allen train!!

• Like (+1) 1

i think a good 80-85% of this board wanted rosen over allen, including me.   i don't know enough about allen to hate the pick, but i do know these development projects that buffalo undertakes tend not to work out for the best.   either way it's done, and i'm not going to B word and moan until his play dictates it.  i get the immediate anger to the pick, but some of these adult tantrums are over the top.  just let this play out.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, PrimeTime101 said:

I also liked Rosen and to be honest.. I don't take to heart what Rosen has said has said to the media. Over confidence either gets you a long way in this league or you get stomped on. there is no in between here. lets just see how it end :D should be fun to watch

There’s a difference between confidence and arrogance. Rosen just really rubbed me the wrong way

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Seanbillsfan2206 said:

1. Mayfield 

2. Darnold

3.  Rosen

4. Allen

I wanted Rosen too... But then I saw his interview after the draft and was like.... WOW. I'm almost glad we didn't take him.

• Like (+1) 1

In most cases, I think people are just seeing what they want to see.

I'm hoping beyond hope that Allen turns into a franchise QB, but he was definitely not on my radar as a top 10 pick.

I had him equal to Jackson with Rudolph close behind as late first/early second round picks.

Getting Edmunds at 16 saved the first round, though.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, teef said:

i think a good 80-85% of this board wanted rosen over allen, including me.   i don't know enough about allen to hate the pick, but i do know these development projects that buffalo undertakes tend not to work out for the best.   either way it's done, and i'm not going to B word and moan until his play dictates it.  i get the immediate anger to the pick, but some of these adult tantrums are over the top.  just let this play out.

I think people are playing up that “project” title a little too much. Watch that video he did with Trent Dilfer. It’s on here somewhere I believe. Also go on the WGR app and go back and listen to the interview with Jordan Palmer. I wouldn’t be surprised if Allen is the starter from day 1

• Like (+1) 1

Allen wasn't my top pick either but I feel like it's for the same reason many are complaining, he's not ready to play and we all want immediate results.

The good news is for everyone saying he's going to set the franchise back 5 years is wrong.  He will either boom or bust in the next 2 years and we can move on if we need to or we found our guy.

Edited by The Wiz

1 minute ago, Seanbillsfan2206 said:

I think people are playing up that “project” title a little too much. Watch that video he did with Trent Dilfer. It’s on here somewhere I believe. Also go on the WGR app and go back and listen to the interview with Jordan Palmer. I wouldn’t be surprised if Allen is the starter from day 1

Even if he looks better than AJ and Nate in camp, I hope they ease him in. Live NFL action is whole different beast.

Don't ruin the kid. The Bills have plenty of time to develop this one right.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Seanbillsfan2206 said:

the poster thurman#1 had a great post about the how allen is more of a development guy than a project guy.  i know i used both terms for him, but as you mentioned, development is a better term than project. i have no idea what it's going to take for allen to come along.  i just hope that unless he really is the best qb on the roster by a lot, he doesn't start any time soon.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

In most cases, I think people are just seeing what they want to see.

I'm hoping beyond hope that Allen turns into a franchise QB, but he was definitely not on my radar as a top 10 pick.

I had him equal to Jackson with Rudolph close behind as late first/early second round picks.

Getting Edmunds at 16 saved the first round, though.

Edmunds is going to be an absolute stud. If anyone is mad about that pick than they’re just looking for reasons to B word. Then Phillips in the 3rd. That guy is a monster. Easily my favorite pick in the draft

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Seanbillsfan2206 said:

1. Mayfield 

2. Darnold

3.  Rosen

4. Allen

Yes, I agree and that type of arrogance won't go away. It can be good if your team is doing good, but it can also be very bad if the team and/or rosen is struggling.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Seanbillsfan2206 said:

Yeah I think we should kick the tires on hiring Palmer, he and Allen seem to have a good connection.

Also I think we passed on Rosen because Beane decided "project with great raw talent" is a better risk than "shoulder surgery and two concussions with a tiny frame".

I think a lot of people were worried Rosen is Bradford 2.0  and made of glass.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

Even if he looks better than AJ and Nate in camp, I hope they ease him in. Live NFL action is whole different beast.

Don't ruin the kid. The Bills have plenty of time to develop this one right.

3 minutes ago, teef said:

the poster thurman#1 had a great post about the how allen is more of a development guy than a project guy.  i know i used both terms for him, but as you mentioned, development is a better term than project. i have no idea what it's going to take for allen to come along.  i just hope that unless he really is the best qb on the roster by a lot, he doesn't start any time soon.  

I agree I’d rather have AJ start at least until week 4 or 5 depending on how our record is. But listening to Beane the other day, he isn’t ruling it out. 

• Like (+1) 1