Rate our 1st round...

usually teams 'winning' the draft doesnt mean all that much.its better to zero in on a couple great players vs loading up on 'pretty good' players.

seems we did that on defense for a few yrs around here and it really didnt work very well.

2 hours ago, bills6969 said:

I'd give it an A-.  We got our QB and a stud LB who was way underdrafted (most mocks had him top 10).  Only issue i have is we gave up too much to get Allen.  Both of 2nd round picks to move up 5 spots to 7 is a lot IMO.

You will always pay a premium for QB so I'm good with that, they obviously think he can be a future foundation here and I do also, have the kid sit a year behind either or and just study your ass off until we fix the OL next FA with maybe another outside WR. Edmunds is a game changer on the defense, power, coverage, sideline to sideline this kids ceiling is very high and only 19, he instantly should make our LB core better. A solid A, we get the future with Allen and the now with Edmunds.

I was hoping the Jets would take Allen so we could face him 2x a year.  Part of that was that I don't think the Jets have the coaches in place for Allen to realize his potential.  Hopefully we do.

Edmunds was a good pick.  Not too much else to say about that.

What I don't like is that we went from 5 picks in the top 65 to 2.  But if those 2 guys pan out, look out.

B+

Edited by Buffalo86

6 minutes ago, Tcali said:

usually teams 'winning' the draft doesnt mean all that much.its better to zero in on a couple great players vs loading up on 'pretty good' players.

seems we did that on defense for a few yrs around here and it really didnt work very well.

That's exactly what I've been saying. I hope I'm wrong but at least they took a shot on a guy. Did they over pay? Possibly. Yet I respect the belief in themselves to identify the right guy and not just take what ever apple falls from the tree. They still kept a lot of draft assets though.

Your post goes along with my point I've made to the we have holes to fill crowd. I feel like that 2014 team was loaded. And they still didn't make the playoffs, they were missing the qb. It's all about the qb. So if we get two quality first rounders, and a third. I'll take that. It's better than getting a plays according to his draft value every round. If I make any sense there, I'm not sure I'm articulating my point well. A 4th round player who is nice for a 4th round player I'd trade to have another 2nd round player or 3rd rounder who plays to their value. Perhaps that's too simple. I'm just saying less picks isn't always bad regardless of what Schopp thinks.

B+ After 2 picks.

Im not an Allen guy......rather, I wasnt one before the draft.  He’s my guy now.  I’d give us a B- for the Allen pick.  Happy we got one of the top 4 but I thought we paid a bit too much (especially considering what AZ paid to move up the same amount of spots and got the QB I wanted ).  I’m just praying we develop him correctly.  Happy we didn’t give up any picks next year, it might be a good one unless we get some OL upgrades and a WR.

Edmunds and Roquan were the2 guys that I wanted, but didn’t think we’d have a chance at either of them.  Getting Edmunds is an A+ imo.  Possibly the best value pick in the draft.  Instant starter that can do it all.  Stud. 

2 hours ago, Mountain Man said:

Either an A+ or F-. It simply depends what you from Allen. 

I didn't know an F- was a grade.  

I think Allen is going to be a complete bust while Edmunds is going to be a star.  Based on the importance of the QB position, I'll give them a solid D.  

Which coincidentally is what we're going to have to have if we have any hope of winning the next few seasons.

2 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

B+ Allen, he does have strong arm for outside winter ball

A+ Edmunds

Oh no!  You just triggered some of our fans because you said  "he does have strong arm for outside winter ball".

• Haha (+1) 1

A-

Nobody on here knows squat about Allen aside from what they have read from analysts on the internet in Feb/March that dogged on his accuracy and promoted Rosen as the best pure passer.

However on Draft day some of these same analysts clearly had Allen rated higher then Rosen -- What?

Anyways all this fan rage is absurd.

We didn't give "all our capital away" we didn't even give up any future picks in 2019 we actually gave up very little.

Two picks in first half of draft for two impressive athletic top rated players, with picks remaining in 3rd, 4th, two 5th, 6th and 7th.... We basically still get a full draft and really just spent our borrowed money..

So to target a high QB prospect and go and get him, and on top of it pull in the best LB in the draft at a position of huge need (LB also one of most important players for McDermotts D)...  come on folks.

That's a SOLID A for round 1 pull your heads out of your butt holes please.

• Like (+1) 1

A+

I was initially way down on the Allen pick, but the more I think about it, the more I believe he is the right fit for the organization.  Big, strong, blue collar, underdog type.  Could be our Big Ben for the next 15 years. So long as he develops into a quality starter by 2020, this will be considered a win. 

I love the Edmunds pick.  Like Allen, the sky is the limit with him.  

Hopefully, two cornerstone pieces. 

5 hours ago, bills6969 said:

I'd give it an A-.  We got our QB and a stud LB who was way underdrafted (most mocks had him top 10).  Only issue i have is we gave up too much to get Allen.  Both of 2nd round picks to move up 5 spots to 7 is a lot IMO.

Really hard for me to give a specific grade. If they'd picked Rosen instead, I'd have given it an A++.

I understand why they picked Allen. He's got a legit chance to be great. But if he busts and Rosen is terrific, this will look like a D- even if Edmonds is terrific. On the other hand, if Rosen turns out to be injury prone and Allen is a big success it will look like maybe the single best draft in Bills history.

To me, this is simply going to take a lot of time. Too early to evaluate, IMHO.

Allen could go either way, I don't mind them taking a chance on a guy with the type of potential he has. Out of all the QB's I believe he has the most legit shot of being a superstar. Edmunds is going to be a stud for years to come, we have someone who can cover TE's and someone who can stuff the run. I think we hit a HR with Edmunds and the potential of Allen has me excited. A for the grade.

This has a good chance of going horribly wrong for the Bills.  There is no metric relating to playing QB that supports picking Josh Allen at the top of the draft and giving up everything that we did to get there.  

This is an interesting article that shows, by choosing Allen, McBeane is not Billy Beane:

https://www.theringer.com/2018/3/26/17162670/nfl-draft-josh-allen-hype-vs-reality

Billy Beane:  "If the guy is such a great hitter, why doesn't he hit better?"

I really hope that I am wrong, but if Josh Allen is such a great QB prospect (and one that is worth everything we did to acquire him), why has he not been a better QB?

McBeane will rise or fall based on this pick. A lot of coaches have had the hubris to think that they are such great coaches that they can transform a guy into something he is not (or has shown he can be).

Again, I hope I am wrong . . . .

Edited by Peter
  • Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Success said:

A.  What people undersell with Allen is work ethic - which I think separates the greats.  He can be the heir to Kelly.  We need that big arm in the wind and snow.

And man, what a pick up on defense. Instant star.

If that is all it takes EJ Manuel would be a HOF candidate.  Not to mention Tyrod Taylor. BOTH worked incredibly hard.

they obviously wanted Allen rather than Rosen and feared Az. thought the same and would jump them.   Same with Edmunds.  So they took it by the horns and traded up for both.   Which means we need to trust their scouting skills and the process in general.  I hope Allen sits for a year at least.   

2 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Really hard for me to give a specific grade. If they'd picked Rosen instead, I'd have given it an A++.

I understand why they picked Allen. He's got a legit chance to be great. But if he busts and Rosen is terrific, this will look like a D- even if Edmonds is terrific. On the other hand, if Rosen turns out to be injury prone and Allen is a big success it will look like maybe the single best draft in Bills history.

To me, this is simply going to take a lot of time. Too early to evaluate, IMHO.

Thought for sure he was picking Rosen. That would have been an A+++++++ draft

A for me. I also wanted Rosen, but I would have been okay with any of the top 4, and I would have tolerated Lamar Jackson. Anything lower than that and I would have had a meltdown. 

In a weird way it actually makes me happy that we picked him with Rosen still on the board. It means we can trust that OBD wanted Allen, and weren't just defending their 4th choice guy by pretending we wanted him all along. The best pure passer was still there, but they obviously felt Allen was the better choice. Puts me at ease. His personality is also miles ahead of Rosen for what that's worth. Dude cried that he got picked in the top 10 and is now a multi millionaire. 

As for Edmunds, I don't care that they gave up a third. We basically traded Tyrod for a consensus top 1 or 2 linebacker. When you have a defensive system that thrives with great lb play, and a great lb is on the board with a huge hole there on the roster, you make the move. 

This draft is on the coaching staff now. They got two of the highest potential players in the draft, with a qb that has the highest ceiling of anyone in recent memory, but also has a high chance for a bust. If the coaching staff does their job and these two pan out, we're on our way to being Super Bowl contenders. If not, back to square one. 

A-.  Had they made the same move and taken Rosen, I, along with many here, would be declaring it a A+.

While the Allen pick seems like a wash, rinse and repeat (big arm, accuracy issues, etc) I like that Beane moved up and took “his guy”.  He let the board fall to him to a certain extent and kept 22.  Then he made a bold move, and the evaluated Allen’s potential ahead of Rosen or any of the others.

8 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

You seriously think Arizona would have taken Allen? I don't see them being so desperate to trade up to get their last choice. Rosen was the pick all along. Makes it that much more nauseating.

I do not know if Allen was their last choice but they were moving up ahead of us at 12. 

I think if Beane sits and waits at 12 and Miami gets the last of the 4 QBs at 11 then this board would have gone crazy. 

We have Allen, he is a project, lets give him  chance.