Baker Mayfield

28 minutes ago, 1billsfan said:

I think the Jets pick Mayfield. So unless the Bills move to pick #1 or #2 they won't get him.

The Jets have met with Mayfield more than anyone else. 

It will kill me if we trade up to 2 and take someone else, and the Jets take him at 3.  A part of me will die inside.

All I tale away from this thread is that Jeremy is continuing his slide into douche baggery. 

I used to like him but he's been absolutely awful the last two years or so.

His Sabres Twitter guy, who is never wrong? The hell am I supposed to do with that?

26 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

The Jets have met with Mayfield more than anyone else. 

It will kill me if we trade up to 2 and take someone else, and the Jets take him at 3.  A part of me will die inside.

I'm actually buying that Mayfield is the Bills guy after Darnold's off the board.

The Bills are in a tough spot if that's the case and the Browns take Allen #1 overall...1. Browns/Allen,  2. Giants/Darnold, 3. Jets/Mayfield...

Bills might throw a boatload off picks at the Giants if the Browns take Allen and end up getting Darnold.

Edited by 1billsfan

Just now, 1billsfan said:

I'm actually buying that Mayfield is the Bills guy after Darnold's off the board.

The Bills are in a tough spot if that's the case and the Browns take Allen #1 overall...1. Browns/Allen,  2. Giants/Darnold, 3. Jets/Mayfield...

Bills might throw a boatload off picks at the Giants if the Browns take Allen.

My magic eight ball is suffering from multiple personality disorder.  Can't get a read.  I think Bills may like Allen, but I personally like Mayfield.

5 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I could see it. He’s a pocket guy that Beane likes. Unfortunately he also fits in Beane’s pocket.

Combine measurements

Brees - 6-0 - 213

Wilson - 5-10 5/8 - 204

Mayfield - 6-0 5/8 - 215

All were ultra-accomplished collegians...All are masterful at utilizing the pocket considering their height deficiencies...

Baker and Wilson were both 70% completion guys as Sr's...Baker did it 2 years in a row...

I think height matters...I REALLY do...It even matters with the special ones like Baker...But I think once he gets settled in and the Offense is built around his strengths...Like Brees and Wilson, he'll be fine...

Mayfield is most definitely the guy I want for the Bills...Just love that kid...If I had to choose between Mayfield and Darnold I literally have no idea who I would take...But I'm assuming Darnold is gone...So it's Mayfield I want most...I think that dude screams Buffalo Guy...He was born to be the leader of Bills Mafia...

• Like (+1) 3

https://fansided.com/2018/03/28/baker-mayfield-rumors-broncos-trouble-coaching/

The Denver Broncos got a close look at Baker Mayfield during the Senior Bowl, but there were apparently some issues.

For the teams in the top-five of this year’s draft, a decision to take one of the top quarterbacks will be necessary. The Denver Broncos hold the No. 5 pick, which may put them in position to get the third or fourth quarterback off the board if things go a certain way. 2017 Heisman Trophy winner Baker Mayfield could then be an option, but that may not be in the cards.

Mayfield practiced with and played for the North team, led by the Broncos’ coaching staff, at the Senior Bowl. That close proximity to Mayfield provided the opportunity for a good evaluation, at least initially one way or the other. By all indications Mayfield had a good week, despite arriving late due to his mother’s illness and leaving the game early to be with her.

He looked like a cute little pee wee football player during senior week.... Josh Allens release will be about 12" higher when you take into account arm length. There are exceptions, but the dude is too short to use a 2 first rounders on. I could buy in if he falls to 12 (which he prolly won't)

shortbaker.jpg

Edited by Bills Pimpin'

26 minutes ago, KOKBILLS said:

But I think once he gets settled in and the Offense is built around his strengths...Like Brees and Wilson, he'll be fine...

We have the right OC to make this happen. Daboll will build an offense that works around his height. It's crazy that people would dismiss an amazing QB prospect over something so small (pun intended). It has to be the most predictable outcome in NFL history that Mayfield will have a better career than Allen, but Allen will almost certainly be drafted first solely because of his physical traits.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

We have the right OC to make this happen. Daboll will build an offense that works around his height. It's crazy that people would dismiss an amazing QB prospect over something so small (pun intended). It has to be the most predictable outcome in NFL history that Mayfield will have a better career than Allen, but Allen will almost certainly be drafted first solely because of his physical traits.

I watched maybe five or six games Mayfield played in against top level teams. There wasn't a game that I watched in which I didn't come away saying that not only was he the best player but also the most compelling playing on the field. And I'm including the Georgia game in which there were a lot of pro prospects on both sidelines. There are a lot of positive pro traits that Mayfield has but what is most impressive is his accuracy which includes impeccable ball placement. Getting Mayfield with a short move up would be a tremendous achievement for this franchise. 

• Like (+1) 5

There's exactly 4 people ate OBD drive that KNOW what plan A, B, and C is, and that's Both Pegulas, Beane, and McD..  I doubt even the scouts, or any other coaches know at this point.  There's too much on the line, and the Bills brass know it.

ANY report coming out from unnamed sources is pure garbage!

Tim-

5 minutes ago, D521646 said:

There's exactly 4 people ate OBD drive that KNOW what plan A, B, and C is, and that's Both Pegulas, Beane, and McD..  I doubt even the scouts, or any other coaches know at this point.  There's too much on the line, and the Bills brass know it.

ANY report coming out from unnamed sources is pure garbage!

Tim-

I’ll agree it’s tighter than it has been in recent memory, but the scouts are asked for specific info by the brass and are aligned to what those “ask” mean.  They’re very aligned to the process and potential plan.  Jeremy is tied to the scouting world, terrifically.  If the scouts know, he knows.  And he’s just not the guy that pulls things out of air.  

Edited by DFT

27 minutes ago, MJS said:

Pretty sure we have a thread about every single QB being covetted by the Bills.

One thing is certain: the Bills have broken one of the ten commandments.

Thou shall not go 2 decades without a franchise QB

1 minute ago, DFT said:

I’ll agree it’s tighter than it has been in recent memory, but the scouts are asked for specific info by the brass and are aligned to what those “ask” mean.  They’re very aligned to the process and potential plan.  Jeremy is tied to the scouting world, terrifically.  If the scouts know, he knows.  And he’s just not the guy that pulls things out of air.  

I agree that White is pretty good overall, and I trust him, for the most part, however, this year of all years I see the loose lips sink ships even more applicable.  Too much on the line, IMO.  Scouts, even coaches may be asked for specifics about certain prospects, and they may even bang the table for "their" guy, but on draft day, there's 4 people that know exactly what they will do if A, B or C happens..  :)

Tim-

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, D521646 said:

I agree that White is pretty good overall, and I trust him, for the most part, however, this year of all years I see the loose lips sink ships even more applicable.  Too much on the line, IMO.  Scouts, even coaches may be asked for specifics about certain prospects, and they may even bang the table for "their" guy, but on draft day, there's 4 people that know exactly what they will do if A, B or C happens..  :)

Tim-

I think it’s more “bar talk”.  The only thing that bothers me, is in leaking it, it damages how well-kept this all was from everyone.  It’s disappointing when you think of it that way.   But this is one that gave me pause, because I was sure I was reading the tea leaves and the guy was Rosen.   The Bills have done a tremendous job getting rid of the scouting leaks that was the “Whaley way”.  If you scouted with Whaley, you knew he was loose lipped with his draft strategy.   It wasn’t intentional, but even Elaine Benes has a well-known key to her vault (Schnapps- me!).

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, jrober38 said:

I hope this is true. 

I think Mayfield has the it factor to be a really good QB. I think he's going to be a really good pro. 

I hate talking like this but he's a culture changer. He immediately wins the locker room and the fans. If he was two inches taller he'd be consensus #1 pick.

2 minutes ago, DFT said:

I think it’s more “bar talk”.  The only thing that bothers me, is in leaking it, it damages how well-kept this all was from everyone.  It’s disappointing when you think of it that way.   But this is one that gave me pause, because I was sure I was reading the tea leaves and the guy was Rosen.   The Bills have done a tremendous job getting rid of the scouting leaks that was the “Whaley way”.  If you scouted with Whaley, you knew he was loose lipped with his draft strategy.   It wasn’t intentional, but even Elaine Benes has a well-known key to her vault (Schnapps- me!).

I don't doubt that Rosen might be plan B.  It is possible that he drops out of the top 10, as the press on him has been pretty negative, IMO; especially for a guy that has all the tools, and is largely considered the best pro ready day one starter out of all the top QB's this year.  It makes you wonder how much the press, the rumors and all the smoke affects NFL GM's?  I would hope they ignore it, and trust what they see and hear for themselves, but who knows?  I think its entirely possible that Allen drops as well.  He's gotten the MOST positive press, IMO, and for the life of me I just don't see it on tape?  I get his measurables, and the hype, but I am hoping that there is NO WAY professional scouting and NFL GM's s ignore tape..  And if I am correct, Allen shouldn't even be drafted in the 1st round, IMO, nor should Jackson.  Both have serious questions marks on accuracy and NFL IQ.

If we are just watching tape, factoring in competition, and talent surrounding them, there are only 3 QB that should go in the first round.  Rosen (On record as already saying that I hope the Bills do not draft him, but I think there actually might be something to the talk surrounding his effort, heart, his interviews don't change my mind on that), on tape alone, then Mayfield, and Darnold.

Factor in, the "other" none QB talent available, and the top ten on this draft will likely end up going a whole lot different than most of the experts are predicting.  We might see 3 QB's taken in the top ten, 4, I doubt, and 5 most certainly not.  The talent level for none QB's far outweighs the "what-if this is the guy", factor, and teams will choose to draft talent and production over speculation.

Tim-

14 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Isn’t that because he’s in a system offense that doesn’t require progression reads? 

Mayfield is not like Tyrod, that is what we are talking about.  Well that is what I am talking about anyway.

My personal opinion (I don't have any mysterious "sources"): Bills would be happy with Darnold, Mayfield, or Rosen. 

I don't think they want Allen (they traded out of the chance to draft Mahomes last year, and Mahomes and Allen are very similar). I don't think they want Jackson ("it's a drop back league and I'm committed to that", said McDermott) or Rudolph (they didn't stockpile picks to take the 6th best QB in the class).

I think they like Darnold's flawless intangibles, Rosen's excellent play from the pocket, and Mayfield's stellar accuracy and leadership abilities. I think they'd be happy with any of the three. I think they'll wait until draft night, see who falls, and trade up to get him.

I WILL say this...I find the lack of "Mayfield to Buffalo" talk so far to be pretty interesting (a Jeremy White tweet doesn't really count, in my book). We've heard high placed "sources" stating interest in Darnold, Allen, and Rosen. We've even recently heard Lamar Jackson talk. But the silence around a Mayfield-Buffalo connection has been deafening. Not only that, but Beane recently, when asked about QBs, mentioned the importance of "does a team rally behind a guy?" and mentioned that Jake Delhomme was a "12 out of 10 in the leadership department". Who does that sound like to you from this draft class? And does anyone but me think that "two-time walk-on turned Heisman winner" would be appealing as heck to a guy like Sean McDermott?! Mayfield is my personal top choice in this draft, and I hope the Bills see things the way I do.

• Like (+1) 2