Was breaking the drought worth it?

Was breaking the playoff drought worth it considering how much draft capital we nee to burn now to get our QB of choice?  

250 members have voted

1. 1. Breaking the drought will end up being very expensive in terms of draft picks if we do trade up. Should we have tanked instead?

• Was totally worth it to break the drought.
    • Not worth it, we could have vastly improved whole team and gotten our QB if we tanked.

For real? Getting the monkey off our backs was essential. We're still sitting at 12 and have a ton of picks. I would be disgusted if I ever saw the Bills tank on purpose. This fanbase is only asking for the best the team can do. We're there when we suck, we're there when when we're winning. An obvious tank may be the only way to turn this fan base away from the team.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Absolutely.  The price for making the playoffs was Cordy Glenn.  Thats what it cost to get up to 12 which is pretty close where we would of been an what 7-9sh?

I fought back tears thinking about my 24 and 21 year old finally feeling what that tastes like.

Its been a monkey on our back and I'm just glad it over.

Edited by The Tomcat
  • Like (+1) 5

Nope, I never want to make the playoffs again!

10 minutes ago, The 9 Isles said:

i never gave a crap about breaking the drought just to break the drought when entering the season everyone was expecting it be a great draft for QB’s. 

We we all saw it coming. 

Could have drafted Mahomes or Watson last year

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, The Tomcat said:

Absolutely.  The price for making the playoffs was Cordy Glenn.  Thats what it cost to get up to 12 which is pretty close where we would of been an what 7-9sh?

I fought back tears thinking about my 24 and 21 year old finally feeling what that tastes like.

Completely agree with your assessment.  Glenn would not have allowed a move much higher than 12.  The only thing that will get us higher than 12 is giving up multiple draft picks.

5 minutes ago, The Tomcat said:

This post completely changed my opinion. I now feel it was worth it. Cordy Glenn was worth it!

• Like (+1) 1

Absolutely worth it. The “pressure” is off McBeane a little bit now so a step back can be tolerated a bit better. We have no clue how these QBs will turn out. Yeah it sucks if we just missed out on the next Rodgers. If we did, keep building the team and find the next Wentz.

Well, I was happy for Kyle and the Pegulas.  Maybe getting into the playoffs helps McD promote the process and build a winning culture.  Too bad the Chiefs recovered from their mid-season swoon.  Tactically, I'd rather have a poor record and a top five pick right now, but hypotheticals after the fact are useless.  Look forward and act shrewdly from where you are.

• Like (+1) 1

Absolutely! That monkey was more like a gorilla, and to finally shed that is essentially turning the page on a dreadful stretch. No longer will we see that picture of the Bills logo as the only team in all professional sports to not make the playoffs in this millenium. These players had no idea what this town is like when they produce a winning product, and not only did the fans show them how much it meant, they also put their money where their mouth is. Players take notice to that kind of thing.

• Like (+1) 1

I knew we didn't have the talent on this team or the QB to carry us if we made the playoffs. I have to say seeing McD as a 1st year HC make the playoffs really has me thinking good things about the Bills future. A major piece of the puzzle is in place with a good HC, the next one is the QB. The one constant in NE is Brady and Belicheat, I think we are on our way to become a power house no matter what happens in this draft.

Edited by Call_Of_Ktulu

Sharing that with my family on New Years Eve is something I will never forget.   It was 100% worth it.  Not sure what the argument here is.  No one knows which quarterback from this years draft, if any, will ever be the type of player who can lead a franchise to a Super Bowl.   You also have no clue yet if we actually missed out on a quarterback.   Having that second 1st rounder was essential. 

11 minutes ago, billsfanmiami(oh) said:

Absolutely worth it. The “pressure” is off McBeane a little bit now so a step back can be tolerated a bit better. We have no clue how these QBs will turn out. Yeah it sucks if we just missed out on the next Rodgers. If we did, keep building the team and find the next Wentz.

If Mahomes is a stud and the Jets get a stud QB at 3 while we miss on the position yet again, the pressure is going to be all over McBeane QUICK.

• Like (+1) 2

I think this situation was unique, and one most fan bases can’t even relate to.  Sure, hindsight enables us to sit back and think that getting the 1st or 2nd pick in the draft was better long term.  But I can’t imagine anyone would have said at the time that they would have traded that feeling of getting the weight lifted off our shoulders.  I know I wouldn’t trade it.  Heck, I go back and watch the videos every so often.   I was jealous of the people who were in buffalo.  I live and have always lived in Virginia, and I seriously considered driving up there to experience it with the locals.  

Being from Virginia means I don’t share the common favorite team with everyone.  So I constantly hear ridicule about the drought, and buffalo sucking.  I can’t tell you how many times I’ve been asked why am I a fan of buffalo.  It gets old.  So to be relevant again meant everything to me.  Even for just one week.  I guess that’s why I’m on the trade everything for a qb crusade since I joined.  I love buffalo, it feels like a second home to me, and I want the city to feel proud of their team.  And I want to be proud from afar.  And for one week last year, I felt that.  So no, wouldn’t trade it at all.

Edited by billsfan5121
  • Like (+1) 1

TBD.

All depends on this draft.

i mean we made the playoffs playing in some key categories worse in 2017 than in 2016, Traded the QB who led the team to the playoffs

it wasn’t what you would call a season to build off of.  Because we have taken a step back at the most important position.

now was one extra game worth the loss of a franchise QB?

if we still land one...then all is well.  If not, then I might say no.

For me, personally, it was absolutely worth it.  I still get chills thinking about the videos posted of all of the Bills fans down in FL tailgating before the game.  I showed my daughter and I think it finally made her realize how much the playoffs mean (meant) to this group and its fans.

5 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

If Mahomes is a stud and the Jets get a stud QB at 3 while we miss on the position yet again, the pressure is going to be all over McBeane QUICK.

And if the apocalypse hits none of it will matter.

if, if, if.  Make the best calls you can make and move forward.

Play to win always.  I was a big fan of the Sabres since they started but the tank years have left a bitter taste in my mouth.  Haven't been able to watch a full game in the last 2 years.  Can't believe I actually can't watch a current game after all those years of enjoying them.  They killed my spirit.  I do follow the stories and standings but don't attend or watch.   Hope it never happens with the Bills.

Absolutely worth it. Gets that monkey off the team's back, allows McD to lay a baseline of "hey, this worked before, so we keep going this way", way easier to trust that process.

Here's (IMO) McBeane's To Do List:

1. Make Playoffs

2. Find Franchise QB

3. Win Division

4. Win playoff game

5. Win Super Bowl

• Like (+1) 3

One should probably add that bringing a young, potential franchise qb in with the burden of still not having broken the playoff drought would have added undue pressure.  The ethos of the team is much more positive now which ought to promote further success rather than desperation to get rid of ignominy.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, bobm said:

Play to win always.  I was a big fan of the Sabres since they started but the tank years have left a bitter taste in my mouth.  Haven't been able to watch a full game in the last 2 years.  Can't believe I actually can't watch a current game after all those years of enjoying them.  They killed my spirit.  I do follow the stories and standings but don't attend or watch.   Hope it never happens with the Bills.

I haven't watched a Sabres game in years. And it kills me because I was a fanatic about the Sabres when I was a kid. It's just hard to watch anymore.

For me, Andy Dalton's pass to Boyd and the reaction seen in the locker room is right behind the comeback against the Houston Oilers.  It was an absolutely AMAZING scene and feeling. Totally worth it. 

I still don't understand how this is even a discussion. If you're a fan of the team how can you realistically want to root for anything other than your teams success? I get it, better QB higher draft picks etc, but isn't the whole point of being a fan to watch the team do well? I wouldn't trade that playoff run for any of the QBs or players in the draft.

27 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

new offense, new defense, not very much talent on the roster, big year for QB's in the draft.  everyone knows what category i fall into

This ought to set us up for another good drought run....middle of the pack

• Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

TBD.

All depends on this draft.

i mean we made the playoffs playing in some key categories worse in 2017 than in 2016, Traded the QB who led the team to the playoffs

it wasn’t what you would call a season to build off of.  Because we have taken a step back at the most important position.

now was one extra game worth the loss of a franchise QB?

if we still land one...then all is well.  If not, then I might say no.

This theory would basically mean this years QB class is guarantee they'll be franchise level.

Wouldn't it have sucked worse if we didn't break the drought and we drafted a bust?

My answer is yes...it was worth it because we can't predict the future.  Win now always.