Who is your "not with a 10 foot pole" first round pick?

Lamar Jackson and Mason Rudolph

My qualms with Jackson are well documented on this board and I don't like Rudolph. Just doesn't seem special to me in any way. 

Edited by H2o
  • Like (+1) 2

I’m gonna go off the QB here. And say Barkley. Generational talent. Off the charts in everything. Possible #1 pick. 

But running back is probably the most dangerous position in football, and the shelf life if the shortest. If I’m dropping a top 3-5 pick I’m not taking a running back. I want a player who should be with the team 7-10 years. (Browns have 1 and 4 so I get it if they draft him) but me personally for the sake of this specific conversation I’m avoiding running back in the first round. 

• Like (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, Southern Bills Fan said:

Lamar Jackson. If multiple teams are asking him to work out at WR then he's probably not a first round pick at QB.

No question as his erratic throwing with one good pass and the next is a bad pass will have him rivaling Geno Smith for turnovers in the NFL.

He might be a greatly talented athlete but that doesn't always equate to a franchise pocket passer. 

• Like (+1) 2

Lamar Jackson. Breer was on the radio this morning and confirmed that teams did want to see him run some WR drills and also mentioned that Jackson struggled on the whiteboard during interviews.

FWIW Breer also said Allen needs to prove himself capable of learning and executing an NFL offense, the radio host straight out called Allen dumb and asked Breer to confirm it he laughed it off and reiterated the prove himself stuff. 

So Jackson/Allen no touchie.

Edited by Commonsense
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Going off of Mel Kiper's mock draft:

Kolton Miller

Orlando Brown

Calvin Ridley

Derrius Guice

James Washington

Geron Christian

Donte Jackson

And not included in Mel's mock as a 1st rounder but just to reiterate, Mason Rudolph.

2 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

Going off of Mel Kiper's mock draft:

Kolton Miller

Orlando Brown

Calvin Ridley

Derrius Guice

James Washington

Geron Christian

Donte Jackson

And not included in Mel's mock as a 1st rounder but just to reiterate, Mason Rudolph.

Why would you not want Calvin Ridley?

1 hour ago, billspro said:

Why would you not want Calvin Ridley?

There has never been a WR that tested as unathletic as him that has gone on to be more than a fringe NFL roster player. I'd be fine taking him on Day 2 based on his tape, but I'm not using a 1st on that.

In general I don't think this WR class is worth using a 1st round pick on; the guys that you get in the 3rd or 4th round will probably be just as good.

Edit: As unathletic AND OLD as Ridley.

Edited by DCOrange
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, DCOrange said:

There has never been a WR that tested as unathletic as him that has gone on to be more than a fringe NFL roster player. I'd be fine taking him on Day 2 based on his tape, but I'm not using a 1st on that.

In general I don't think this WR class is worth using a 1st round pick on; the guys that you get in the 3rd or 4th round will probably be just as good.

There is also the age concerns with Ridley. His developmental curve probably doesn't last as long as most of the class as a professional.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Blokestradamus said:

There is also the age concerns with Ridley. His developmental curve probably doesn't last as long as most of the class as a professional.

Yeah, sorry, that's actually one of the factors in the athleticism comment I made. Nobody at his age and athleticism level has ever panned out. I think it's basically 3 7th round picks and Ridley.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

He ran a 4.43, I wouldn't call that unathletic. He is a great route runner as well. 

• Like (+1) 1

Baker Mayfield 

Any TE

No to Hurst with new heart condition info - probably nothing, but not taking the risk, IMO

Any RB not named Barkley - position is just so deep this year, 2nd Round / 3rd Round is the sweet spot

Josh Allen. Dude screams of every red flag scouts have, yet everyone only looks at his physical attributes. Matt Stafford is the only QB recently who has succeeded despite a completion % in college that was sub 60%.

He is the only QB of the potential 1st round guys I would feel was a failure by drafting him without him playing a down yet.

Edited by corta765

Good topic!!

It has to be Orlando Brown. Concerns about his tape, strength, athleticism, and effort are all out there. There were questions on him entering this week and he had, arguably, the worst combine ANY player has ever had. 

I would say that DB has to be off the board for the Bills because they have too many other holes than to take a guy in their strongest area. 

I am also not a big fan of Rudolph but I don’t see him going in the 1st. Not a fan of taking any interior OL (except Nelson) in the 1st. Obviously that isn’t an option so you can put the rest of them in that group. It’s just not good value IMO. 

43 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

No question as his erratic throwing with one good pass and the next is a bad pass will have him rivaling Geno Smith for turnovers in the NFL.

He might be a greatly talented athlete but that doesn't always equate to a franchise pocket passer. 

Except of course, with throw-aways and spikes included, he can't possibly be that erratic as one good/one bad and have completed 59% of his passes for 3660 yds his Jr year with 12% drops.

He does have poor mechanics that affect his accuracy at times but so does Allen (in spades) and to lesser degrees, Darnold, Mayfield and Rudolph.

The real question with Jackson IMO is the same as with any QB who doesn't play effectively in a pro-style offense against top defenses: will he successfully adjust to the complexity and skill level of NFL defenses and the complexity of offense/increased accuracy needed to succeed against them?

1 minute ago, ScottLaw said:

I find it funny most fans are begging for another QB but according to this thread most are extremely skeptical of the ones in this draft. 

I think fans don't accept that finding a QB is a process.  They want Magical Franchise Guy to ride in with "Franchise Man" embroidered on his fancy hat, vs understanding that we may not be able to get into the top 2 picks in a year with a good QB crop, therefore we're going to have to do what most other teams do:

work at it, take shots, and recognize that the initial goal is adequate QB play to win with, then constantly work to improve from there.

• Like (+1) 1

I will end up becoming a fan of whoever they select, but I would really like them to stay away from Rosen and Mayfield. Not a big fan of their attitudes, just my opinion. Plus they would most likely need to trade up to get either one and I would prefer they stay put and get two first round talents.