Bills fire Gill Byrd

Seems strange. Definitely not a move I expected. 

But I also don't know how much of the success of the secondary he's really responsible for. I mean, obviously he deserves some credit. But that is probably McDermott's strongest area of expertise (esp. since he played the position himself), and he has had very good secondaries for most of his career as a DC. I am guessing there had to be a reason for this and I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for now.

But I am going to reserve my final judgement until more info comes out...

and ultimately it will come down to waiting and seeing how the secondary does in the coming season(s). My guess is they will be just fine. 

• Like (+1) 1

- Results don’t entirely correlate to coaching. It’s possible DBs aren’t close to potential.

- DBs may not like the coach

- Coach not on same page as rest of the staff

- He’s just a jerk

in other words, we have no idea and while fun to speculate, you won’t know until something leaks (and even then . . .)

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, jmc12290 said:

With 4 ProBowl caliber DB's this year?

Why?  

Kromer 2.0?

This is pretty much how I feel. 

35 minutes ago, Max Fischer said:

- Results don’t entirely correlate to coaching. It’s possible DBs aren’t close to potential.

- DBs may not like the coach

- Coach not on same page as rest of the staff

- He’s just a jerk

in other words, we have no idea and while fun to speculate, you won’t know until something leaks (and even then . . .)

While we will never know the whole story it’s is tough to argue with the results. Hyde, Poyer and Gaines had the best years of their careers. They all got better under Byrd. Tre White is going to finish 2nd in DROY voting. It’s a tough argument to say that they aren’t close to their potential. 

6 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

Probowl Caliber play from the DBs. The position coach gets fired. 

Crap play from the OL and the Position Coach Teflon Juan still here. 

Do position coaches even matter though? I remember everyone being excited Mike Waufle was hired as the DL coach, but our front 4 ended up one of our weakest units. Zay Jones had the same WR coach he had in college when he broke the NCAA record for receptions. In the NFL you either got it or you don't and no position coach is going to change that.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Do position coaches even matter though? I remember everyone being excited Mike Waufle was hired as the DL coach, but our front 4 ended up one of our weakest units. Zay Jones had the same WR coach he had in college when he broke the NCAA record for receptions. In the NFL you either got it or you don't and no position coach is going to change that.

This might be the crux of the problem.  Position coaches teach techniques and run through play assignments.  I don't think most design plays or defensive coverages.  The overall success of an offensive or defensive unit depends upon how the plays/coverages/schemes are drawn up, which are usually the province of the OC or DC along with the HC.

14 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Yeah, I think they matter.

I forgot who the DB coach was until I saw this. Someone else must have become available. 

I wouldnt assume the offensive coaches are safe. Daboll said the first time he had a chance to meet with the offensive staff was Friday. Changes, if they are made, will be forthcoming. Frazier and McD had since early Jan to do the def coach evaluations. 

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

Probowl Caliber play from the DBs. The position coach gets fired. 

Crap play from the OL and the Position Coach Teflon Juan still here. 

And I'm sure you KNOW with 100% certainty that Castillo will remain here, right?

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I forgot who the DB coach was until I saw this. Someone else must have become available. 

I wouldnt assume the offensive coaches are safe. Daboll said the first time he had a chance to meet with the offensive staff was Friday. Changes, if they are made, will be forthcoming. Frazier and McD had since early Jan to do the def coach evaluations. 

Excellent post. Reasoned, and logical. Good lord, the panic and panty-twisting around here is getting to be a bit much.

Wow, my buddy actually told me that McDermott isn't too well liked by the defensive staff and there was a lot of discourse throughout the year.  He actually told me that there would be changes from "retirements" and firings because McDermott wants everyone to know who is in charge.   I didn't believe him because of all the "culture" change we have seen in media, but now the news is coming out about the changes.

Edited by Ittakestime