What do you fix first? OL or QB?

For us, QB, because we have seen that the line is pretty good (with the right scheme).

Overall, I would say Oline. It definitely helped Dak and Zeke in their rookie years. Giving a rookie more time to adjust in an NFL pocket is certainly a good thing.

Edited by BillsEnthusiast
  • Like (+1) 1

Que Bee

nobody can say that the teams with solid QB's are also drafting 5 better than most OL.. They draft average players to phil the gaps mixed in with a stud or 2 like us but their QB play and stability from having the same QB / OC / system over years forms a bond/understanding that makes their Offense / OL better than teams like us IMO

Edited by ddaryl

6 minutes ago, ddaryl said:

Que Bee

nobody can say that the teams with solid QB's are also drafting 5 better than most OL.. They draft average players to phil the gaps mixed in with a stud or 2 like us but their QB play and stability from having the same QB / OC / system over years forms a bond/understanding that makes their Offense / OL better than teams like us IMO

I think you mean Queue. 

Otherwise it's Spanish. 

What ??

• Like (+1) 1

A fair QB can be productive behind a good offensive line.  And a good QB can be productive behind a fair offensive line.    Seem kind even, but...

*  a good OL will also help the running game.

*  a good OL will help your backup be successful if he has to play.

*  a good OL will keep your QB healthy so the backup doesn't have to play.

*  a good OL might be easier to acquire than a good QB.

All things considered, despite the importance of the QB in today's game (or partly because of it), I'd rather aim for a good offensive line.

Edited by hondo in seattle
  • Like (+1) 2

Just now, Pbomb said:

Both are important and we can fix both this offseason

Agreed especialy if Cordy stays healthy into next year but thats my biggest worry. We have 2 really good OT's in Dawkins and Glenn should be easy to phil in a new RG / Backup T assuming Incognito is stil good to go.. Center should be addressed as Woods is getting long in the tooth IMO

We really aren't that horrible on the OL front IMO just need a QB who can hit th equick slants and force the D to respect the quick pass

3 minutes ago, Bakin said:

I think you mean Queue. 

Otherwise it's Spanish. 

What ??

I'll look it up

you are correct I leirned sumthing twoday

36 minutes ago, Canadian Bills Fan said:

Some people say you need to have a good OL in order for a QB to be successful. Some say a good QB makes the OL look better.

What do you all think is more important?

QB hands down.  A QB who can release the ball quickly can make his lineman look better.

35 minutes ago, Canadian Bills Fan said:

Some people say you need to have a good OL in order for a QB to be successful. Some say a good QB makes the OL look better.

OL.   

You saw what happened to Peterman in LA.  We still need a switch away from TT   @ QB 

Not to mention a good OL will also help the running game.

Obviously both...but if I had to choose one, I'd say QB.

For many of the reasons already stated, but also because the QB's reach extends beyond the LOS, it goes to checking the Defense, calling the right audible, getting WRs / TEs in place before the snap so that they can get open, directing RBs where to position themselves in certain calls, of course throwing the ball all over the field of play and being the "leader" of the team....the intangibles do come into play to some degree here for the QB, which can also elevate the line's ability to play / pass protect / run-block.

34 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

Franchise QBs are too intentionally rare to put off.  If you have a shot at a player you think can be one, you take him.  If not, then add other supporting talent as best you can. 

The commonsense answer and I agree.  If there's a QB available that you love, get him.  Otherwise, build up your lines.  

And if you do get the QB you want, build up your OL to protect your investment.

• Like (+1) 2

For me I am doing both, along with WR, and the front 7 on defense. The draft has to start with getting one of those top QBs regardless of the cost. With SF, Indy and Chicago up there you will have some partners potentially. Those teams will pick high, won’t pick QB and need quantity as their rosters aren’t good.

The Bills will have tons of money in FA. I’d like to see something like Lotulelei, Norwell, Paul Richardson and Bradham. That gives them 3/4 starters. In the draft they can get another DL, LB and RB. You will need another CB too IMO and keep Gaines.

1 minute ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Say we dump TT and draft a QB very high pick 1 - 4.  

What do you do next season?   Start Nate, or Joe?  Or do you throw the 1st round rookie into the frying pan?  

They are going to be playing the rookie early. 

2 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

What do you do next season?   Start Nate, or Joe?  Or do you throw the 1st round rookie into the frying pan?  

You have a competition and see who wins

If this qb draft class is robust, which most say it is, then you make every effort at every cost to get your guy. Love Darnold but we still don't know his status. Rudolph and Mayfield are also strong considerations. And there's still a slight chance the Bills might court Cousins. We're getting a qb this year and I've never been more certain. And yes we'll need to upgrade our oline this year too. McD may not get as many defensive players as he would like. Must replace Dennison!

58 minutes ago, Canadian Bills Fan said:

No debate - if there is QB you like, take him. Forget every other pressing need. 

14 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Play whoever wins the battle in training camp. There should be no annointed started going into TC

58 minutes ago, Canadian Bills Fan said:

If the right QB is there you take him. If you fail to land the guy you want start building those lines. I know people say you can get lineman later in the draft but that hasn't really worked well for us in the past. I don't want another Koujo, John Miller (who I think NEEDS to be on the field the rest of the way). 

Fixing a team is never a linear process. If there's a blue chip QB available vs. a blue chip OLman, take the QB if you don't already have one. If it's a choice between a blue chip OLman and an average QB, take the OLman. This team needs great players, regardless of position. 

Playmaker is ALWAYS a position of need. 

I know it's not a choice but I'd like to nominate WR here.  You want to throw quick slants?  You want to back them out of the box?  We have no one that scares anybody and worse when the QB's we do have, Peterman or Taylor, hit them they drop way too many passes.  A better line would be great and I can't argue with a better QB but I really think an upgrade at WR would make a big difference.  I mean a real game changer like Jones or Green or Hopkins.

The only answer is QB, and the two part plan should look like this...

Plan A: if you aren't sure about any of the QBs, wait till your first pick and pick the one that's still there and that you like best (having two first rounders is like having a free pick to take a shot at a QB)

Plan B: if you're very sure about one or two of the QBs, do what it takes to get him

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Canadian Bills Fan said:

A good OL can make a decent QB good...just like a good QB can make up for a weak OL.  It can go either way really.  I will say that a bad OL can make developing a young QB much harder.  For instance, look at Peterman.  He is utterly atrocious under pressure, not surprising as a rookie with very little field time.  If the OL could actually give him time, he could make more accurate and confident reads giving him a much better chance at success and reduce his pace of 10 interceptions per full game lol.  

On the other hand, a good QB who is comfortable under pressure and gets the ball out fast can over come a weak OL.  In an extreme example (in terms of QB talent), Aaron Rogers is a good example.  He is an Elite QB who has had tremendous success behind whats has been mostly a poor OL during his tenure in GB.  

If I am a team, I much prefer to DEVELOP a young QB behind at least a decent to solid OL, if not good.  But thats not always how it works.  With QB prospects, you have to grab the right one when you can and don't always have the luxury of building a good OL first.  

So, I would say you go GET the QB when the right one you want is there regardless.  I wouldn't pass up the right QB prospect to get an OL prospect.  

I say we pull a Houston and draft our QB (Ala Deshaun Watson) but let our backup start the year until we think he's ready, more than likely Peterman playing the part of the (Tom Savage). That way not throwing him into the fire right away. Go hard after a QB that you believe in and build up our oline later in the draft.

IMHO .....

I think we could do both.

I do believe we could get Mayfield, Falk, or Thorson with our second 1st round pick (maybe even our second round pick ... but I'd be chicken to wait that long) .... or even lower we could get Ferguson or Benkert  with our second 2nd round pick. I think trading up to get one of the top 2 QBs would be too costly, and our team is being built so that we just need an OK QB, not necessarily a GREAT QB.

We need to use as many picks as we can for linemen (both offense and defense), Wide Receivers, Line Backers, and a Running Back.

Of course that's not to say if the QB that we REALLY covet drops down to our first pick that we shouldn't pull the trigger.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Frying pan. They still should be able to upgrade the Oline. 

Look honestly at the O line.  Glenn is talented but can't get healthy.  We're carrying a huge salary and a roster spot for a guy who's seldom playing.

Incognito is still making plays but is also getting stacked up a lot.  Age?  He'll be old next year or the year after.

Wood. Already almost old.

Duciller -- either one is bad.  I don't know why Ducasse plays while Miller sits, since Miller was showing signs of progress, but maybe Miller misses last year's O line coach.

Mills -- I think all the left DEs in football are bribing the Bills FO to keep Mills on the line so they can improve their sack stats.  There's no other explanation.

We have Dion Dawkins playing quite well, and Roy who has played well when given a chance. 

Overall, as I've posted before, the Bills O line resembles the starboard side of the Titanic's hull while it was still taking on water.  Next year, the entire O could resemble the current Titanic.

Now, how many rookie O linemen can you reasonably bring in at once?  I think two, max.  Cut Glenn, play Dawkins, Incognito, Woods, Groy, and a rookie RT, and keep Miller and a rookie interior lineman as backups.  That rookie could be playing center or guard before the year is out.  It would be nice to draft another stud O lineman but there won't be room on the active roster and you can't park someone good on the taxi squad.

So that's two draft picks, probably rounds 2 or 3, on O linemen. 

I think we could do that and still make a deal to move up and get a QB. And then try to improve the D line in FA, draft a LB and draft a fast WR. 

Edited by Utah John

I'm an advocate of getting the O-Line right, because an average QB can look good with the right O-Line, but it's really hard for a good QB to look great when running for his life.  That said, for the Bills, if the right QB is available (by the Bills evaluation) then they should never pass him up.