if the bills make the playoffs and are a tough out, do you build a great oline with the picks, or still go after a top qb in the first?

1 hour ago, T-Bomb said:

They have already won too many games to go grab a top QB, too many teams need one this upcoming draft.

As much as the Bills want to be done with Taylor, I think they should draft linemen.  Both OL and DL are suffering.

That's not necessarily true.  Depends on how you define "top QB".

1 hour ago, frostbitmic said:

Draft Round :

1A - Chiefs pick - Baker Mayfield - QB - Oklahoma

1B - Bills pick #32 - Run stuffing beast of a DT

2A - OT

2B - LB

3 - WR - a speed guy that can run routes and catch the ball and who has never had a knee injury,,,, yet.

4-7 - Guard, TE, LB, CB all need an infusion of talent.

To answer the question ... Get your QB first. We should've gotten our franchise guy in this years draft, oooops.

After that, grab a Tackle and take a Guard later. there's a need for DT and LB too and that needs to be addressed.

Why not?

2 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

There is ZERO doubt that you get a QB.  If Tom Brady, or any other decent QB, had our roster of Offensive Skill Players they would be in the playoffs for sure!

Great analysis... if we had the Michael Jordan of football we would be in the playoffs...  Unfortunately these are once in a generation-type players that we have AT BEST 1 in 32 chance of getting (assuming this guy is in next year's draft)

Thinking purely in the football sense it depends who is there for QB when you pick. If your sitting at say 20, then I say pass on a QB and go for Oline or a WR. (Preferably one not made of glass) my reasoning is every expert saying there are only 2 or 3 QB worthy of being drafted in the 1st round so why reach for someone rather than make your team better and grab one in the second round.

if they have say the 15th pick then depending on how in love you are with a QB prospect you try to trade up to get him

2 hours ago, Tatonka68 said:

QB

Enough of the hand me down QBs, there is a reason they are let go by their previous teams.

They have tried to resign him for 2 years. It's very well documented he doesn't want to stay with the Skins. Everyone was sure he would be in SF with baby Shanny...but trading for trading for Jimmy G likely changes that.

I would sign Cousins in a heartbeat. Draft OL, DL, LB, RB in some order with top 4 picks. 2 at OL or DL if value is there. Pick up a QB to groom behind Cousins with 3rd.

Of course that all hinges on Cousins wanting to leave Washington for Buffalo.

I believe in winning through the trenches although QB is very important.  If we make the playoffs though I think we'll miss out on the top guys.  I wouldn't sell the farm with what this team needs at other positions.  Now had we actually had gotten something for Marcel Dareus like an extra 3rd then that would have helped.  But now we only have one 3rd due to the Benjamin trade, no fourth I think and now only 5 picks in the first three rounds with a roster that needs a major infusion of talent to be throwing two picks at 1 player.

• Like (+1) 1

A lot depends on whether the Bills can get good FA linemen.  Both O and D lines are thin and have big holes.  Both need replenishment.  I think putting a promising young QB behind our current O line, which will only get worse with both Incognito and Wood getting old, is a recipe for disaster. That poor SOB will waste the first two years of his career (and his rookie contract) either running for his life, or on IR.  At least Taylor can get away from the rush, get in position to pass, and then who knows what he'll do but at least he'll have a chance. 

If the Bills can get three new O linemen as FAs, then maybe draft the QB.  Otherwise face facts.  This is a thin roster, with no skill at skill positions except Shady, and no LBs at all who strike fear into the hearts of opponents. This is the year to build up the team, with at least 8 rookies starting next year and excelling in 2019, when the new QB arrives (or Peterman breaks through).

QB whatever picks you have left try and fill some holes.  Fill some more holes in FA.  We aren't going to fill all the holes, but every team has holes somewhere.  Its a shame this team is so devoid of talent because said new QB isn't coming into a good situation.  Get him some oline help and possibly do better at the receiver position as a first priority IMO.

2 hours ago, KelsaysLunchbox said:

They have tried to resign him for 2 years. It's very well documented he doesn't want to stay with the Skins. Everyone was sure he would be in SF with baby Shanny...but trading for trading for Jimmy G likely changes that.

I would sign Cousins in a heartbeat. Draft OL, DL, LB, RB in some order with top 4 picks. 2 at OL or DL if value is there. Pick up a QB to groom behind Cousins with 3rd.

Of course that all hinges on Cousins wanting to leave Washington for Buffalo.

If Cousins is ALL that, why haven't the Skins made the playoffs?? No more hand me down QB's they are available for a reason.

1 hour ago, Scott7975 said:

QB whatever picks you have left try and fill some holes.  Fill some more holes in FA.  We aren't going to fill all the holes, but every team has holes somewhere.  Its a shame this team is so devoid of talent because said new QB isn't coming into a good situation.  Get him some oline help and possibly do better at the receiver position as a first priority IMO.

An elite QB can fill multiple holes by his ability.

I'm on the baker Mayfield bandwagon but if Taylor got us to the division rd and we lost a close game, idk...

I'd be tempted to add a ot and guard for the right side to pair with Glenn, incognito, wood and a developing groy, Dawkins and Miller....

A great oline can take u to a super bowl

Especially with McCoy still in his prime, cadet, and another drafted rb in the 3rd

5 hours ago, mead107 said:

Stay with Peterman.    Build  a line. 

for the love of god.

trade up for Rosen or Darnold.. I want the surest thing, not 2 years of "let's give this guy a shot". Mayfield would be a consolation, but dude's a basket case.

Keep Taylor, let him compete, maybe he beats this rookie (and Dennison is jettisoned). And save a draft pick for an outside WR, not high on KB but even if he exceeds expectations I want more.

My top priorities..Obviously try to hit on any front 7 and O-Line after all that.

I'd like safety depth as well.

And let's keep up the good FA signings (anybody miss Zach Brown? he looks great, I don't think he can handle the snow)

And I want a late 1st round pick on top of anything, forget the marginal drop for next year, always go for win now. If we make the playoffs we can take on this weak AFC.

If the Bills make the playoffs, they are one of 12 teams.  That means the highest their pick could be is 21. Let’s assume KC also makes it so the pick from them is similar. 

It then depends on what happens in the 1st round before they pick.  If they have say 4 guys rated as 1st round picks and they’ve all been taken, do they just take the next QB on their list?  I believe if both picks end up in the high teens or low 20s and they keep them, they would use one to take a QB

5 hours ago, CDogg20 said:

Honestly idk. The best teams in the league have great lines like the Pats*, Steelers, Saints, Rams, Eagles but they also have premier qb’s. Chicken or the egg? 

That's always been the debate. Qb or Oline first? Do we have enough picks or cap room to do both? We're not getting Darnold or Rosen, but do we have enough to move up for Rudolph? This might be the most important off season in the past 17 years. 

It was a long, but good question.

The year before the Colts drafted Peyton Manning, they drafted 2 excellent tackles in rounds 1 and 2.  Having Marvin Harrison was  pretty cool too. Now, the league has changed and having an excellent qb would seem to be a prerequisite, given the rule changes.

Given the above, it's going to be tough to draft a top qb in 2018,  because the Bills somehow managed to win an unforeseen amount of games. I am generally not a fan of trading away draft picks to move up. We just got rid of a sub-par GM who believed in this. The extra picks we have came at a heavy price. We walked away from quarterbacks, one of whom looks excellent.

I am hoping, as another poster stated, that we can draft a QB, OL, and DL without trading up. It would be great to do so and not throw away picks, or waste them on RBs and defensive backs. Maybe if we do so we can even reach the playoffs for a change.

Edited by Bill from NYC

Quarterback.  Quarterback.  Quarterback.  

Then whatever capital we have left through the first 4 rounds on the trenches.  Think we do need a RB and a LB and some corner depth and I don't mind throwing picks in rounds 5 through 7 at those positions.  But priority 1 get our Quarterback.... if it needs a trade up you do it.  Then whatever you have left you maximise value maybe even with a trade back somewhere and build the lines.  

Depends on what the cost is and how we maneuver in FA. To get one of the top QB's it's gonna take a king's ransom considering how many games we've won and the amount of QB needy teams. You have to realize this team has A LOT of holes still. I think you take a QB if he is on the board when you pick and you really like what he brings to the table. If not, you look elsewhere because Tyrod is still under contract through 2018. People may not like that answer, but it makes the most sense to use your resources to get the most out of them. 

Once we are out after this week I think we need to play Peterman the rest of the year. We need to see if we have a back up, bridge QB, or possible starter. I've watched the Chargers game 3 times and I don't understand how the coaching staff put him in that position. 

The only thing I can come up with is Taylor's very bad play plus Lynn being very familiar with Taylor's weaknesses lead to McD making a decision to start a rookie.

I stated before the Bills game that I thought the Chargers had the best D-Line in the NFL. Chargers D-Line plus our poor O-Line plus Peterman loosing his safety blanket in KB lead to a horrid showing. 

Peterman is known to be a gunslinger in practice and when you combine everything you have Peterman forcing passes and throwing INT's. Peterman had less than 2 sec to pass the football most of the 1st half. I don't know how you evaluate a QB under those circumstances.

2 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

Once we are out after this week I think we need to play Peterman the rest of the year. We need to see if we have a back up, bridge QB, or possible starter. I've watched the Chargers game 3 times and I don't understand how the coaching staff put him in that position. 

The only thing I can come up with is Taylor's very bad play plus Lynn being very familiar with Taylor's weaknesses lead to McD making a decision to start a rookie.

I stated before the Bills game that I thought the Chargers had the best D-Line in the NFL. Chargers D-Line plus our poor O-Line plus Peterman loosing his safety blanket in KB lead to a horrid showing. 

Peterman is known to be a gunslinger in practice and when you combine everything you have Peterman forcing passes and throwing INT's. Peterman had less than 2 sec to pass the football most of the 1st half. I don't know how you evaluate a QB under those circumstances.

They won't be out this week regardless of the outcome with two winnable games in weeks 14 and 15 against the Colts and Dolphins. 

It is 100% irrelevant if they are a tough out etc.. They just need to evaluate QB and every other position of need in relation to what there is in the draft and how many picks they have to use/deal.  But, if nothing else, the Peterman experiment showed how much you need a solid oline if you intend to have a pocket passer as your QB.

6 hours ago, CodeMonkey said:

It is 100% irrelevant if they are a tough out etc.. They just need to evaluate QB and every other position of need in relation to what there is in the draft and how many picks they have to use/deal.  But, if nothing else, the Peterman experiment showed how much you need a solid oline if you intend to have a pocket passer as your QB.

So true, we don't even remotely have a good enough oline to protect Peterman or whoever we draft in April. They'd get killed.

The team needs both a QB and a top line to protect him and there really is no reason not to accomplish both fairly quickly.  Looking at this past draft McD knew who he wanted and drafted them. Those first three picks are making an impact and with a new GM, scout team they could do even better. Through week 5 PFF grades the Bills line at #22.

22. BUFFALO BILLS

Average offensive lineman grade: 57.0

While Richie Incognito is among the top 10 guards in the NFL once again, the rest of Buffalo’s line has been unable to come near to playing at his level. The unit has played well in pass protection as they rank seventh in the league with a pass blocking efficiency rating of 82.2, having allowed just 38 pressures on 171 pass blocking snaps. However, the issues come with run-blocking, where basically everyone but Incognito has a poor grade so far. The Bills run more outside zone plays than anyone in the league, leading the NFL with 76 attempts, but they rank just 17th in yards before contact, averaging just 1.06 yards on these plays.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-ranking-all-32-nfl-offensive-lines-by-average-grade-week-5