if the bills make the playoffs and are a tough out, do you build a great oline with the picks, or still go after a top qb in the first?

If the season finishes as you suggest, which franchise QB is left on the board at pick 20+? I don't think there will be one and trading up will take a lot of picks unless the Chefs continue to slide. Certainly both 1st rounders this year plus how many others picks?  Best case for a QB is that both the Chefs and Bills lose out. We could then use both picks to move up for THE GUY provided of course we have a dance partner near the top of the draft.

Draft Round :

1A - Chiefs pick - Baker Mayfield - QB - Oklahoma

1B - Bills pick #32 - Run stuffing beast of a DT

2A - OT

2B - LB

3 - WR - a speed guy that can run routes and catch the ball and who has never had a knee injury,,,, yet.

4-7 - Guard, TE, LB, CB all need an infusion of talent.

To answer the question ... Get your QB first. We should've gotten our franchise guy in this years draft, oooops.

After that, grab a Tackle and take a Guard later. there's a need for DT and LB too and that needs to be addressed.

• Like (+1) 1

The other thing with this draft is it is a strong QB draft and a little thin in a lot of places (depending on juniors and redshirt sophomores).  I’m always advocating to go at the strength of the draft; you get better value.  Get your QB, 2 DL, an OL, a CB, a speed receiver, LB and a #2 RB. Something like that would be good by me. It will depend some on the positions addressed in FA. 

8 minutes ago, frostbitmic said:

Draft Round :

1A - Chiefs pick - Baker Mayfield - QB - Oklahoma

1B - Bills pick #32 - Run stuffing beast of a DT

2A - OT

2B - LB

3 - WR - a speed guy that can run routes and catch the ball and who has never had a knee injury,,,, yet.

4-7 - Guard, TE, LB, CB all need an infusion of talent.

To answer the question ... Get your QB first. We should've gotten our franchise guy in this years draft, oooops.

After that, grab a Tackle and take a Guard later. there's a need for DT and LB too and that needs to be addressed.

Like this

12 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

The other thing with this draft is it is a strong QB draft and a little thin in a lot of places (depending on juniors and redshirt sophomores).  I’m always advocating to go at the strength of the draft; you get better value.  Get your QB, 2 DL, an OL, a CB, a speed receiver, LB and a #2 RB. Something like that would be good by me. It will depend some on the positions addressed in FA. 

I'll try to keep this as brief as possible, and we can start up an offseason plan thread later. Looking ahead to 2018, we have:

33 players signed for $146,856,652

Dead Cap hits of $18,681,120

and $33,424,561 of estimated Cap Space

Of the 33 players we have under contract

1 is Tyrod, cutting him saves just under $10M on the cap but leaves us with just Peterman on the roster

9 O Linemen

- 4 OT's (Glenn, Dawkins, Mills, McDermott)

- 4 G's (Incognito, Groy, Ducasse, Miller)

- 1 C (Wood)

3 WR (KB, Zay, Holmes)

1 RB (McCoy)

1 CB (White)

2 S (Hyde & Poyer)

0 ILB :lol:

1 DT (Washington)

We're currently lined up for 8 draft picks in the first 5 rounds --> adjust players signed to 41, and cap room to ~$28,000,000

FA's of interest (to me anyway)

Yarbrough (DE), Elston (S), O'Leary (TE), KW (DT), Tate (KR/PR), Humber (OLB), Johnson (CB), Cadet (RB), Thompson (WR), PBrown (ILB), Coleman (DT), Gaines (CB), Matthews (WR)

All of that is to say, we have quite a few holes in the roster heading into '18, and one of the areas we actually have buttoned up (contract-wise) is the OL. Cutting/Drafting OL means more work elsewhere filling holes.

Go get a franchise QB.  Even by doing so they still have load of cap space and enough draft picks were they will still draft 5 or 6  players.  They should be able to walk away from the draft with a Franchise potential Qb, 2 quality starters and 2 or more depth adds.  That is still a very good draft.  

Edited by Mat68

10 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

I'll try to keep this as brief as possible, and we can start up an offseason plan thread later. Looking ahead to 2018, we have:

33 players signed for $146,856,652

Dead Cap hits of $18,681,120

and $33,424,561 of estimated Cap Space

Of the 33 players we have under contract

1 is Tyrod, cutting him saves just under $10M on the cap but leaves us with just Peterman on the roster

9 O Linemen

- 4 OT's (Glenn, Dawkins, Mills, McDermott)

- 4 G's (Incognito, Groy, Ducasse, Miller)

- 1 C (Wood)

3 WR (KB, Zay, Holmes)

1 RB (McCoy)

1 CB (White)

2 S (Hyde & Poyer)

0 ILB :lol:

1 DT (Washington)

We're currently lined up for 8 draft picks in the first 5 rounds --> adjust players signed to 41, and cap room to ~$28,000,000

FA's of interest (to me anyway)

Yarbrough (DE), Elston (S), O'Leary (TE), KW (DT), Tate (KR/PR), Humber (OLB), Johnson (CB), Cadet (RB), Thompson (WR), PBrown (ILB), Coleman (DT), Gaines (CB), Matthews (WR)

All of that is to say, we have quite a few holes in the roster heading into '18, and one of the areas we actually have buttoned up (contract-wise) is the OL. Cutting/Drafting OL means more work elsewhere filling holes.

They even have some internal options like Groy. The OL has the bodies and have aged some. The Bills aren’t going to pour a ton of resources into OL for the reasons that you mention. A new coach will be the first step.