Bob Costas says CTE will destroy the NFL

BuffaloBill

I think Bob Costas is right. 

CTE not only hurts the players, and will scare off tons of new talent, but also forces unpopular rule changes.

Prospective players don't want to play as much, and viewers don't want to watch as much, as well as costing the NFL hundreds of millions on it.

Gone the way of boxing. It will be a long, slow death by a thousand cuts.

• Thank you (+1) 1

I think NFL will always be popular.

Maybe not as much as it was a few years ago, or even now, but I don't think getting talent and finding players to play will ever be a problem.

As long as there are players on the teams we love (which there always will be), I can't see the NFL ever dying

1 minute ago, Shotgunner said:

CTE not only hurts the players, and will scare off tons of new talent, but also forces unpopular rule changes.

Prospective players don't want to play as much, and viewers don't want to watch as much, as well as costing the NFL hundreds of millions on it.

I see more boxing fans today than I did 5 years ago...

the sport is getting back on track and there are tons of 18-30 year olds who love boxing just as much as mma

boxing PPVs still make a lot of $ and the talent is coming back

Just now, Buffalo716 said:

I see more boxing fans today than I did 5 years ago...

the sport is getting back on track and there are tons of 18-30 year olds who love boxing just as much as mma

boxing PPVs still make a lot of $ and the talent is coming back

Yep. And I also think boxing died out because it lacked excitement.

If they get a few big names, which they are starting to again, boxing will rise

I don't think football will ever go away just simply because kids in the innercity look at it as vehicle out of bad situations into good and football hotbeds like Florida Texas & California see no slowly. I think you will see though soon no tackling until at minimum 8th grade and all youth leagues switching to flag football styles.

I do think though football will probably plateau and have a dip like we are seeing. They killed the golden goose over the last 5 years between denying concussions, domestic violence suspensions that make zero sense, and player issues in general that they have allowed to the forefront. I think like MLB football will be popular and years when you have new exciting teams like the Astros or historic teams like the Cubs winning it will get more attention and boon. But years like this where soo much talent is injured and up top it still looks like a lot of the same teams people will tire and not care as much.

16 minutes ago, Shotgunner said:

....may be EVENTUALLY so, but NOT in our lifetime...think about the risk/reward perspective and ignore Costas.....a kid graduates (COUGH) from a major college program and is drafted in the 1st or 2nd........sadly signs that BIG contract with an "x" and ends up making millions per year........buys Mom her dream house & first new vehicle, gets himself a million+ dollar pad with Ferraris and Lambos in the garage.....VERSUS....a non-CTE risk job at McDonalds for 10 bucks an hour.....which scenario wins now despite potentially losing in the long run?.....isn't that the reality of the situation?..............

• Like (+1) 1

Truth is a soapbox is almost as tall as Costas is, but it still isn't uncommon for him to climb on one. Changes will be made continually to protective gear and rule changes to help as much as possible. The NFL will never fold and there are still incredible numbers of kids playing the sport today. 

Now that CTE is in the focus I think the deep pockets of the NFL will invest heavily into brain saving technology. 

They may never succeed in finding a solution for the NFL but the rest of the world will benefit from that effort.

The NFL will survive longer than I do. ;)

I think a more likely reason for the NFL's demise will be the lack of interest that Millennials have in the game.   

My twenty-something kids and their friends could care less about the NFL.    If that generation doesn't become fans, advertising revenue will eventually find other outlets...

31 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....may be EVENTUALLY so, but NOT in our lifetime...think about the risk/reward perspective and ignore Costas.....a kid graduates (COUGH) from a major college program and is drafted in the 1st or 2nd........sadly signs that BIG contract with an "x" and ends up making millions per year........buys Mom her dream house & first new vehicle, gets himself a million+ dollar pad with Ferraris and Lambos in the garage.....VERSUS....a non-CTE risk job at McDonalds for 10 bucks an hour.....which scenario wins now despite potentially losing in the long run?.....isn't that the reality of the situation?..............

Yeah I agree with this. That's why I said long and slow.

I don't expect it to ever completely go away, but to take a major hit.

Perception is big, and will lead parents to disallow kids from playing. Obviously the choice to be poor vs hurt yourself  + money is something that won't change, but after they retire the tune changes. Once the cash is in the bank and the house and car are paid for, that's when they start to talk about it, and I could see it influencing lots of prospective players and/or their parents. If there is another option (college or tech/office jobs that pay well), I believe more people will start to take them.

The one big thing the NFL has for it's longevity is the popularity of fantasy football. Will give it a "safety net", or some type of popularity floor.

16 minutes ago, Lurker said:

I think a more likely reason for the NFL's demise will be the lack of interest that Millennials have in the game.   

My twenty-something kids and their friends could care less about the NFL.    If that generation doesn't become fans, advertising revenue will eventually find other outlets...

This is also a fair point. Kids these days don't even watch tv. If it's not on a smartphone and part of social media, they aren't interested. Even if they follow on their phones, internet, etc it will make the rating drop bigtime, leading to loss of revenue to the NFL (already happening).

Also, I don't know many young folks who have a 3.5 hour attention span regardless of how it's delivered.

He's been wrong about so many things that no one is listening except the people that surround him.  He tries to come off as a moral authority but consistently takes the position of the minority on most topics.  He once was thought of as someone that was in touch with the masses - now he's just exposed for the liberal wind bag that he is.

• Like (+1) 1

Wait till they get married.  They'll be dying for an escape on Sundays.  As far as the NFL, it is a $9billion / yr industry that keeps growing.  Look for them to expand globally in Europe, Mexico, and possibly even Canada.

so many Americans love this sport and it's popularity is growing internationally.  They will keep making concessions to make it as safe as possible.  I see turfs getting better in the future, better helmets, etc.

17 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

Wait till they get married.  They'll be dying for an escape on Sundays.  As far as the NFL, it is a $9billion / yr industry that keeps growing.  Look for them to expand globally in Europe, Mexico, and possibly even Canada.

Things change.   The twenty-somethings I know would never tie up their Sunday's by gluing themselves to TV.   That's old fashioned.   They're much more into doing/experiencing things and or interacting with other people on their free time.   Being a spectator is what the old folks do.

And after the crappy NFL Europe games we've seen, it's not likely the NFL brand of 'entertainment' will supplant soccer on a global stage...

1 hour ago, H2o said:

Truth is a soapbox is almost as tall as Costas is, but it still isn't uncommon for him to climb on one. Changes will be made continually to protective gear and rule changes to help as much as possible. The NFL will never fold and there are still incredible numbers of kids playing the sport today. 

Exactly.. Costas gets tiring..Gun control rant a few years back.. at least this was sports related, but his observation regarding the NFL, CTE,.. Let him ramble on FB about it if he feels  people wanna hear what he thinks. 

$$$$$$$$  IN$URANCE  $$$$$$$$$

Some schools have closed their football programs due to the high cost of INSURANCE.

I wonder if the NFL can do anything to "stop the bleeding" there?

1 hour ago, Shotgunner said:

Boxing died due to ufc, which is WAY more violent than boxing itself. As long as the NFL is a huge cash cow, it will never go away. While CTE will probably always be a part of football, technology is always improving and helmets and treatment can always get better without destroying the NFL product 

There was a survey of Olympic athletes done years ago in which they were asked if they would take a drug that would kill them in five years but would also guarantee winning Olympic gold, and the response was 50% in the affirmative. There will never be a shortage of players.  

2 hours ago, billsfan11 said:

Yep. And I also think boxing died out because it lacked excitement.

If they get a few big names, which they are starting to again, boxing will rise

I hope so. A boxing match looks like an athletic contest. A UFC fight looks like a felony is being committed. 

But I’ve always thought that boxing declined because of corruption and mismanagement, and the fact that there were multiple federations which made who was champion of what very confusing. 

I hope the NFL does not die, but in the back of my mind I wonder if it will if there isn't a major advance in player safety or neuroscience. 

15 minutes ago, Steptide said:

Boxing died due to ufc, which is WAY more violent than boxing itself. As long as the NFL is a huge cash cow, it will never go away. While CTE will probably always be a part of football, technology is always improving and helmets and treatment can always get better without destroying the NFL product 

The problem is that no amount of technology will keep the brain from impacting the inside of the skull. Treatment and diagnosis while living are the steps that the NFL needs to be working towards.

Football is the greatest, most complete sport ever created. I think there will be a thriving audience for it long after we're all gone. Basketball and baseball are broken games that can't adapt to the strength and size of the competitors, yet football is able to continuously evolve even as the people that play it change.

What might not be there are the legions of new "fans" that have come around in the last few years. The NFL was able to pull in a tremendous amount of super-casuals over the last decade, and that will probably go away over time and we'll revert to 90's audience levels. 

Keep this in mind, football had a thriving role in American sport in the 50's and 60's when players had to have second jobs to pay their bills. There wasn't any real money in the game, they didn't have 16 games a week and it still thrived. I've seen a number of yuppies from my generation saying how they won't let their kids play football, and I say all the better. Get the pampered kids out of the sport who are groomed to make 20 million dollars a year, and maybe the NFL will revert back to the pinnacle of the game from the late nineties.

Edited by BullBuchanan

Football is going no where.

The inner cities are still loaded with kids who are using football as a way out of the hood

Maybe they do ban contact up till 7th grade, modified, but the game will never disappear 

College Football is a tradition that goes back over 100 years. And we have known it's violent for 100 years

It's a tough game for tough people 

and there will always be people to play it

Football will be in trouble as soon as kids brain is positive for CTE. When I was in 10th grade I suffered 2 concussions playing football. I had another as a senior. I repeatedly had my bell rung playing pop warner all the way through high school. The focus is on the NFL, but there have to be many non NFL players walking around with CTE. 

What about boxing, mma, hockey. All invovle head injuries, all still around. There will always be people willing to play. There are alot of dangerous jobs around the world and people still do them

Edited by Pbomb