Bob Costas says CTE will destroy the NFL

BuffaloBill

46 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

I was gonna say the same.

Boxers are much more likely to die in the ring or shortly after due to brain damage

standing 8 counts and the long count make boxers take much more punishment than a knockdown and finish in MMA

MMA has more superficial wounds because the gloves tend to open more cuts 

but boxers get absolutely punished in 10-12 round fights 

You'll have to forgive me, I don't watch a whole lot of mma (assuming that's the same thing as ufc), but I've read that it's way worse than boxing. I actully heard the Dr from the concussion movie (forget his name) that said he thinks mma/ufc should be banned due to the danger of the potential brain damage it causes. I really don't know much about it. The few fights I've seen were brutal. I can't imagine it's any less risky than boxing. My feeling on it is, these are grown adults that know the risk and get paid alot. They have the tight to choose what they do. Same goes for football 

Just now, Steptide said:

You'll have to forgive me, I don't watch a whole lot of mma (assuming that's the same thing as ufc), but I've read that it's way worse than boxing. I actully heard the Dr from the concussion movie (forget his name) that said he thinks mma/ufc should be banned due to the danger of the potential brain damage it causes. I really don't know much about it. The few fights I've seen were brutal. I can't imagine it's any less risky than boxing. My feeling on it is, these are grown adults that know the risk and get paid alot. They have the tight to choose what they do. Same goes for football 

The reffing in MMA is usually very top notch and proactive instead of reactive

they will stop a fight sooner than later (if it looks bad)

while boxing gives you standing 8 counts and a long count and plenty of opportunities to keep fighting 

not to mention 10-12 rounds...

My father was friends with a professional boxer and over the years we became friends

I saw him box and also do MMA and kick boxing Muay Thai 

He is very punch drunk. He is admanent that boxing is way more dangerous

even though he did lose 10 IQ points when he got kicked in the head a few years ago in a kickboxing championship 

so touche

This is the pussification of America.  It started with fun helmets for kids.  Do we really think that football is the only sport that causes CTE.  Not hockey, wrestling, rugby, nascar or any sport that causes excessive brain sloshing.

The fact that ANY parent would deny their children the sheer joy of football on the basis of the improbability of their kids and CTE is causing a nation of p**sies.  Ever since I was a baby I had a natural tendency towards smashing into things, especially other boys.

Not surprising , coming from a liberal media member baseball fan like Costas. It's just part of the emasculating of America. They simply want to strip away anything masculine from society. The reality is , most football fans don't care too much about CTE. There will be young players whose folks will allow them to play football. Perhaps there will be a decline in numbers in youth participation , but not so much that it will kill the game. Baseball and basketball are likely the only sports that may not contribute to CTE. Football isn't going away. 

10 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Not surprising , coming from a liberal media member baseball fan like Costas. It's just part of the emasculating of America. They simply want to strip away anything masculine from society. The reality is , most football fans don't care too much about CTE. There will be young players whose folks will allow them to play football. Perhaps there will be a decline in numbers in youth participation , but not so much that it will kill the game. Baseball and basketball are likely the only sports that may not contribute to CTE. Football isn't going away. 

Yeah. That damn liberal media trying to emasculate America. :lol:

Edited by vincec

3 hours ago, Steptide said:

Most of the scary things about MMA are fallacies. They are due to politicians that know nothing and propoganda, some of the UFC's own fault. They used to market it as "no holds barred' even thojgh it was never the case. It was much closer then, but now it is regulated and one of the safest contact sports you can partake in. Like 716 said, MMA wounds are usually superficial, so they look dramatic because of all the blood and broken bones, but they aren't taking anywhere near the head trauma of a boxer. Broken bones and cuts heal fully and obviously you would rather break a finger or leg than get brain damage.

1 hour ago, NewDayBills said:

In another 30 years I think the NFL will be dead. I think the MLB will turn into an even more lucrative business than it already is. Wouldn't surprise me to see the MLB triple in size.

Lol. Baseball had it's moment, and it was a long time ago. Being one of the most boring sports ever, it would be difficult to get a major increase in fans.

I believe it is mostly nostalgia that holds together the MLB these days.

3 hours ago, DrPJax said:

How do you explain the multimillion /billon dollar video game industry.  People are making a living in their 20’a playing video games on places like Twitch tv with millions of viewers  and thousands of subscribers sitting for hours playing or watching others play.  Why are we seeing e sports being broadcast on tv?  If anything this generation is less personally engaged and they will be spectators as they continue posting on Instagram etc even while at games. 

And this is good for the NFL, how??     Very few if any of these young people are pro football fans.   That's dad and grampa's game.     OTOH, Twitch is a big party according to my son and way more fun than getting $hitfaced in the parking lot of some sterile NFL stadium and watching three hours of guys dodging / inflicting CTE collisions.

As the poster above you said, participation in youth football is dropping.  Our school district, like many in southern WNY, has seen a decline in the number of kids going out for football.  They've merged the football team with a neighboring district--and still don't have enough kids to put a credible team on the field (I think they scored 3-4 TDs all season and typically lost by 30+ points).   More kids are playing lacross, volleyball, soccer--and yes, video games.  

Take away the alumni from many of those college stadiums and I wonder how full they'll be in the future.    The point is, things change.    It may take 20, 30 years, but I can see the NFL going the way of dinosar if more young people don't become fans...

6 minutes ago, Shotgunner said:

Most of the scary things about MMA are fallacies. They are due to politicians that know nothing and propoganda, some of the UFC's own fault. They used to market it as "no holds barred' even thojgh it was never the case. It was much closer then, but now it is regulated and one of the safest contact sports you can partake in. Like 716 said, MMA wounds are usually superficial, so they look dramatic because of all the blood and broken bones, but they aren't taking anywhere near the head trauma of a boxer. Broken bones and cuts heal fully and obviously you would rather break a finger or leg than get brain damage.

Lol. Baseball had it's moment, and it was a long time ago. Being one of the most boring sports ever, it would be difficult to get a major increase in fans.

Yep

mma wounds look super vicious and they are quite painful but 99% of the time they are superficial 

Boxers take serious head trauma and suffer CTE probably at a worse rate than football players 

Would you rather get 6 stitches on your right eyebrow 

or get get hit with cinderblocks for 12 rounds and have brain trauma

16 minutes ago, Shotgunner said:

Attendance of 72 million people this year isn't bad for a dead sport.

2 minutes ago, Binghamton Beast said:

I am curious why some people think this will destroy the NFL but college football is hardly ever mentioned.

LOL

NFL only needs 1700 guys.  College needs what, ten times that number?

Edited by KD in CA

15 minutes ago, Kemp said:

MMA hasn't been around long enough to determine long-term brain damage.

But it doesn't take a doctor to see that the damage exposure is consistent with other combat sports.  
How's this for anecdotal evidence: Connor McGreggor going crazy at the recent Belator event! LOL

Edited by dulles

3 minutes ago, dulles said:

But it doesn't take a doctor to see that the damage exposure is consistent with other combat sports.  
How's this for anecdotal evidence: Connor McGreggor going crazy at the recent Belator event! LOL

Royce Gracie fought at 48 or 49 and is still in phenomenal condition 

he fought when UFC had no weight classes!

Edited by Buffalo716