Bob Costas says CTE will destroy the NFL

BuffaloBill

9 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

Something not proven to be related to football is going to be it's downfall?

The hype if CTE and the mouth breathers who base decisions on emotional responses and inconclusive evidence will destroy football.

and there is probably a lop-sided tendency to embrace anti-social behaviour among NFL players in the first place

Couple things.  Football has a few things going for it mainly it is by far & away the most popular sport to gamble on.  Take away the gambling aspect of the NFL(from fantasy, to betting games to super bowl pools etc....) & my guess it would not be nearly as popular.  But...... with that being said the NFL has some serious issues going against it right now.  First this CTE thing is not going away.  The problem is I really don't know how in the world you fix this.  Football is a violent sport, take away the violence & you take away a good part of the game.  2nd, a poster before made a good point.  The older generation is holding this sport up.  The millennial generation is a different animal.  They want excitement, they want to see things & experience different things.  Jeremy White said this morning he rewatched the game, fast forwarding all commercials & stoppage in plays & it took him 12 minutes to watch it.  People make fun of baseball & even basketball, calling them boring sports but football is mostly standing around, there is very little action in a football game.  It is why it will never be popular on an international basis, not enough moving action.(very different to soccer where play is constantly going on.  I also think the NFL is going to start seeing cases like Barry Sanders, Calvin Johnson etc...guys that are retiring in their prime because they are tired of getting beat up.  What Brady is doing is impressive no doubt, but I think it is also very reckless & arrogant.  My guess is he will be paying a dear price for playing so long when he is in his 50's. 

I tape 5 or so NFL games each week and it takes about an hour to watch all the action in an NFL game, from fast-forward to the O lining up to the end of the play and re-watching hi-lites and reviews.

saying its 12 minutes is total hogwash.

Edited by row_33

Unfortunatley the reality is more and more kids are growing up playing Soccer and that will be the sport most of the best talent migrates to in the the next couple of decades... If you grow up playing Futbol you don't switch over to football unless you're not good enough to play the sport you loved as a kid.

Brain injuries and the brutality that is Football will continue its decline in popularitry. I called this 10 years ago when it became obvious that many NFL players wouldn't let their own kids play football and the soccer fields were loaded wit young kids

Edited by ddaryl

On 11/11/2017 at 6:39 PM, Lv-Bills said:

Not sure how this will effect the NFL.  College.  Or even high school yet, but.......

I'm a Recreation Director in a County in Virginia.  Our athletics department runs youth Athletics for county residents.  Our county also has one of the best, if not the best, high school programs in the state.  The program is top notch and wins big every year.  Virginia is also one of the top 10 talent rich states for football players in the country.  Usually sits right around 6 or 7.

That being said, there is an undeniable drop in football numbers in youth football, not only in our county, but all across the state.  In our league alone, around the Richmond area, the league has dropped from 32 teams to 22 in the last 5 years.  Some entire county's in the league can't even field a team in an age division anymore.  This is really started in the last five years.  And I'm not talking about this being an inner city league.  As a matter of fact, it's so bad, the numbers all across the state are alarmingly bad and the trend is continuing to get worse.

Here's a case in point.  Swimming vs Football.  In a suburban county just outside of Richmond, there are 3 football associations in the same area that has 6 swimming associations.  5 years ago, there were about 700 kids swimming, and about 550 playing football.  Today, there are 2,200 swimming and 325 left playing football.  Granted, swimming is coed, but that's a huge difference in the exact same area.

It's alarming.  Football is by far the country's most favorite sport.  However, it is seeing a severe reduction in the number of little kids playing.  Sooner or later, that will catch up to the upper leagues.  

I study these numbers for a living.  Football is the only youth sport that is falling so incredibly fast.

Great post. Thanks.

8 minutes ago, ddaryl said:

Unfortunatley the reality is more and more kids are growing up playing Soccer and that will be the sport most of the best talent migrates to in the the next couple of decades... If you grow up playing Futbol you don't switch over to football unless you're not good enough to play the sport you loved as a kid.

Brain injuries and the brutality that is Football will continue its decline in popularitry. I called this 10 years ago when it became obvious that many NFL players wouldn't let their own kids play football and the soccer fields were loaded wit young kids

That's been a reality for 25 years since I was a kid. Those soccer fields from my teens are abandoned. Some converted to lacrosse. But soccer will never be popular here. It's gay

28 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

That's been a reality for 25 years since I was a kid. Those soccer fields from my teens are abandoned. Some converted to lacrosse. But soccer will never be popular here. It's gay

All my nieces and nephews play soccer... The fields are loaded

I live north of Seattle these days and the popularity here is off the charts. I don't understand it but its gaining major momentum.. Sad IMO..

I always tell people why watch soccer when there is the exact same game being played already. One that is a lot faster more physical and offers more scoring.. Its called Hockey

Edited by ddaryl

41 minutes ago, row_33 said:

I tape 5 or so NFL games each week and it takes about an hour to watch all the action in an NFL game, from fast-forward to the O lining up to the end of the play and re-watching hi-lites and reviews.

Well that is what he said.  I have also heard from other people that there is less then 16 minutes of total action in a NFL game.  Not sure if that is true or not but I have read that.

49 minutes ago, row_33 said:

6 minutes ago, Gordio said:

Well that is what he said.  I have also heard from other people that there is less then 16 minutes of total action in a NFL game.  Not sure if that is true or not but I have read that.

It's true.  This is from WSJ a few years ago and was posted on TSW several times in the past:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424052748704281204575002852055561406

3 hours ago, corta765 said:

The fact Josh Gordon is suspended seasons for weed yet Josh Brown is suspended only 6 games Greg Hardy 1. Probably should've clarified this better but my point is the DV suspensions at points are laughable in terms of harshness but Brady was suspended more for some semi deflated footballs.

Soooo it's in a contract that certain stipulations apply to each case. Not to mention, Hardy was never convicted of a crime and you feel he should have been punished.  That's heelarryus

30 minutes ago, ddaryl said:

I live north of Seattle these days and the popularity here is off the charts. I don't understand it but its gaining major momentum.. Sad IMO..

I always tell people why watch soccer when there is the exact same game being played already. One that is a lot faster more physical and offers more scoring.. Its called Hockey

In the 90's it grew larger than it is today.  It has fallen off a lot. Only kids under 12 play it en masse

Just now, Boyst62 said:

Soooo it's in a contract that certain stipulations apply to each case. Not to mention, Hardy was never convicted of a crime and you feel he should have been punished.  That's heelarryus

Your really missing the point here. A lot of people including myself find it utterly insane with the imbalance in suspensions across the board and after a while having your players routinely in the news for DV is really bad for your league. If your about to truly argue for a guy like Hardy just because court didn't find him guilty despite the pictures and numerous reports of multiple occasions idk what to tell ya bud.

38 minutes ago, ddaryl said:

And they are both boring compared to football. More kids playing soccer doesn't mean more adults will actually want to watch adults play the game. Football will survive. 

4 minutes ago, corta765 said:

Your really missing the point here. A lot of people including myself find it utterly insane with the imbalance in suspensions across the board and after a while having your players routinely in the news for DV is really bad for your league. If your about to truly argue for a guy like Hardy just because court didn't find him guilty despite the pictures and numerous reports of multiple occasions idk what to tell ya bud.

You're. 

Like every every time was wrong. You're!

And yes. Every god damn day will I argue for Greg Hardy because this is America and in !@#$ing America you're innocent until proven guilty 

America.... !@#$ yeah!

45 minutes ago, Gordio said:

you might put together an endless loop of just the action, but that would take 15 minutes, he was exaggerating the watching of a taped game

each play takes about 10 seconds, so roughly 140 plays would be 23 minutes easily.  the Pats put up over 100 during the last SB

1 hour ago, Boatdrinks said:

And they are both boring compared to football. More kids playing soccer doesn't mean more adults will actually want to watch adults play the game. Football will survive. 

snap out of it.. The majority of the world is very passionate about futbol. And kids today will have more affection for the game then we would...

2 hours ago, ddaryl said:

Sorry but the best athletes in America will not be playing soccor

they will still be playing football and basketball

soccor has been the biggest youth sport in America for probably 20+ years. And the best athletes don't gravitate towards it 

city children will always be more into basketball and football 

21 minutes ago, ddaryl said:

snap out of it.. The majority of the world is very passionate about futbol. And kids today will have more affection for the game then we would...

soccer is five minutes away from taking over North American totally

been hearing that since an old Pele and George Best played in the mid 70s

1 hour ago, Boyst62 said:

You're. 

Like every every time was wrong. You're!

And yes. Every god damn day will I argue for Greg Hardy because this is America and in !@#$ing America you're innocent until proven guilty 

America.... !@#$ yeah!

11 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Sorry but the best athletes in America will not be playing soccor

they will still be playing football and basketball

soccor has been the biggest youth sport in America for probably 20+ years. And the best athletes don't gravitate towards it 

city children will always be more into basketball and football 

Agreed. There is a reason why after 4th/5th grade kids stop playing soccer. They shift to Basketball, baseball, hockey, lacrosse, or football. The US is far more diversified in terms of sports compared to other nations and our investment in the top 4 sports of Football, Basketball, Baseball, and Hockey is far greater than any other nation in terms of how far you can go with college and even the pro's. If you don't think kids look at those sports as far more lucrative both star and money wise compared to the soccer and your wrong.

I can straight up tell you that I will try to have my child gravitate more towards Hockey, Football, Basketball, or an endurance sport like Swimming/Running before I have them go near soccer. It isn't a bad sport but I would rather they play one of those or start a rock band before soccer.

2 minutes ago, corta765 said:

Agreed. There is a reason why after 4th/5th grade kids stop playing soccer. They shift to Basketball, baseball, hockey, lacrosse, or football. The US is far more diversified in terms of sports compared to other nations and our investment in the top 4 sports of Football, Basketball, Baseball, and Hockey is far greater than any other nation in terms of how far you can go with college and even the pro's. If you don't think kids look at those sports as far more lucrative both star and money wise compared to the soccer and your wrong.

I can straight up tell you that I will try to have my child gravitate more towards Hockey, Football, Basketball, or an endurance sport like Swimming/Running before I have them go near soccer. It isn't a bad sport but I would rather they play one of those or start a rock band before soccer.

Yea, no offense to soccor players and lovers but...

id rather have my kid play hockey , lacrosse, football, basketball, baseball, start a band, act, be a nerd 

before put them near a soccer ball...

its just not an American style sport like basketball or baseball or football