How has Ragland looked?

billsgpr88

I think everyone was expecting big things out of the kid last year before the acl tear, but I haven't heard anything about him. I did hear McDermott justify his place behind Preston Brown, but I haven't got to actually see him play. Any observations?

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i thought his coverge was good and he was aware. that third and long the eagles converted reggie was right there to make the interception. he just needs to learn to turn his head around and i think he will. made a nice stop on fourth and iinches. i dont think his tackling will be an issue this year. well built to.

i thought his coverge was good and he was aware. that third and long the eagles converted reggie was right there to make the interception. he just needs to learn to turn his head around and i think he will. made a nice stop on fourth and iinches. i dont think his tackling will be an issue this year. well built to.

He didnt have anyway to make a play because his head was down in full sprint just to get his depth. That is an athletic issue

He looked lights out in training camp in Rex's scheme.

He's just not a fit for this D. It's no ones fault really, we just can't use him for what we want to do.

I really dislike the idea of trading him to the Chiefs though.

He'd fit in that D and you just don't contribute in any way to making a team whose first round pick you own better.

Unless they offered sick compensation, which they won't.

He didnt have anyway to make a play because his head was down in full sprint just to get his depth. That is an athletic issue

if he turned his head at the last second he would of made a play. im trying to find the play right now to see if im wrong. his coverage near the line was good also. he kept the play in front of him. i honestly dont see a problem.

Edited by Lafromboise

I think he makes the team but its a red shirt year for him....

Just dont like the idea of giving away high pick players given his injury situation......

I can see this unless someone offers a decent pick for him...which is unlikely.

They also were mostly not running or throwing towards him when he was in the game, as far as I could see, and mostly he appeared to be dropping into coverage (and for what it's worth, they weren't picking on him). There was one 20 yard (or so) pass thrown over his coverage, and he had the nifty stop behind the line on a run on 4th & inches. I'm curious to hear what Cover1 and the people who analyze the film say.

Interesting thing to keep in mind: the last drive (where the Eagles scored), he was not on the field and it was one of the few changes from the earlier drives.

Edited by thurst44

I think he looked alright. He certainly plays the run well. Pass coverage is obviously somewhat suspect but there aren't many MLBs in the league that can consistently cover tight ends.

I think the team might be better off "Redshirting" him this season unless they get a good offer for him (I think you have to consider trading him for a 4th round pick and you would have to do it for a 3rd rounder which I don't think you would get offered.)

But he is about a little over a year removed from a major ACL surgery. Let him learn the defensive system for a year and have him ride the bench. Right now he just seems to lack the speed to have enough range in the system. But maybe he just needs some more time to recover from his injury? Not everyone has the same time table to return at full strength.

He is good enough to be a backup esp on early downs and running situations. Keep him as decent depth and see if he can return to form next year. I think it is possible he might just have lost a little due to injury or isn't a fit for the system. That's why I think if a 4th round pick or higher is offered you take it. But why sell low if you don't need to?

If he doesn't fit the scheme, the Bills need to trade him now.

Maybe they can get a player from another team that is underachieving in the wrong system. Maybe they can get lucky and land another mid-round pick.

I'm coming to grips that 2017 is a total lost cause. At one point, I was holding out slim hope for a wild card. But after trading away Sammy Watkins and watching Tyrod Taylor struggle to adapt in the new scheme, I realize this team is (or will soon be) in full rebuild mode.

Every snap/roster spot used on someone like Reggie Ragland is a waste, because it could be used on a player who fits better.

We all know Reggie Ragland is not a great fit for the 4-3. He is not great in passing downs and cannot really chase down people all over the field. That is why he is practicing with the thrid unit. I still think it is best to trade him to a defense that uses a 3-4 and get an offensive lineman or WR in return. That said, if such a trade does not happen, I have been wondering how best can the defense use his special talents this year.

Based on the preseason games (this year and last), he might be the surest tackler we have. Additionally, he does appear to have a nose for the ball in run defense. Does anyone remember a 3rd and short in one of the recent preseason games, where he brought down the RB short of the first down with a solo tackle? I feel he will be great in Red Zone packages. With a shortened field, his chasing deficiencies will be masked. I also feel he will be useful on first and second downs against power RBs, who run north south. Some such guys who we will face this season are - Marshawn Lynch, Mark Ingram, Adrian Peterson (though he can dance as well), Cam Newton (yeah the guy can run as well), Andre Williams & Spencer Ware.

I'm curious, and I'm too lazy to look it up, but where was Jerry Hughes on the Colts' depth chart when Buffalo traded for him?

I believe he was second string. If someone wants to trade for Ragland great. If I was a GM though I'd just wait till he gets cut.

I hope the light comes on and he stays. Seems like a good young man who got a tough break with the ACL

I believe he was second string. If someone wants to trade for Ragland great. If I was a GM though I'd just wait till he gets cut.

I hope the light comes on and he stays. Seems like a good young man who got a tough break with the ACL

Yes coming back from the ACL, but also learning a new scheme that he MAY not be a great fit for. Ragland's not getting released this season, man. There is too much value there.