RD 5, Pick 171: Nathan Peterman (QB) - Pitt

Terrific pick.

I know arm strength is an issue but accuracy is more important and something you can't teach. And Peterman is an accurate passer.

Peterman was 8th in the nation in passer rating. That was better than all of the quarterbacks drafted this year, including Trubisky, Mahomes and Watson. Even better than Darnold that people rave about. I watched Peterman shred my Orangemen in November. Great character as well.

If he's not a total bust in training camp then I hope we try Cardale at Tight End.

I wouldn't be shocked to see Peterman earn the backup job over Yates and give Tyrod a run for his money in 2018.

Also #1 red zone passer.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Strengths: Good height to see the field. Very poised and composed. Smart and alert. Can read coverages. Good accuracy and touch. Produces in big spots and in big games. Has some Brian Griese in him and is a gamer. Generally plays within himself. Team leader.

Weaknesses: Can get pushed down more easily than you'd like. Lacks mobility and ability to avoid the rush. Lacks a really strong arm. Can't drive the ball down the field and does not throw a really tight spiral. System-type player who can get exposed if he must ad-lib and do things on his own.

Summary: Is not what you're looking for in terms of physical stature, strength, arm strength and mobility, but he has the intangibles and production and showed great Griese-like improvement as a senior. Could make it in the right system but will not be for everyone.

I just do not see it - they will let Taylor play out the contract - I just do not see anyway TT gets a longer better contract.

The better shot is a top draft pick next year will be the QB.

Saying a top draft pick will be the QB next year is 100% reasonable and I think that's clearly the plan if Tyrod and the team aren't more productive in 2017 than 2016.

That's not something I'd remotely argue against.

It's those saying that Peterman is suddenly "The Guy" that I think are just grasping at straws at this point.

On Twitter let me get it. Was looking for UDFA signings

Jay Skurski (@JaySkurski)

4/29/17, 2:47 PM

Sean McDermott says every quarterback on the roster will compete for the starting job -- it won't be handed to Tyrod Taylor. #Bills

I love the way people keep coming back to this.

Someone even used the words "open competition."

Let's see how they split the reps in TC.

Is there anyone willing to bet Taylor isn't the starter Week 1 against the Jets barring injury? I'll give you 3 to 1 odds... :flirt:

Next three years? Yup, you'll get some intelligent takers. Maybe even two years.

And we aren't excited by drafting a QB. We're excited by drafting Nathan Peterman. He's an anticipatory thrower, a guy who uses the whole field and has an NFL brain. Does that mean he'll be a franchise QB? Nobody knows, same as all the other draftees. But it's exciting to see and smart this late in the draft.

God Thurm. It's clear I annoy you, but try reading posts and conversations you're responding to, please. What are you pulling 3 years from? I responded to Foxx who said he was 95% sure Taylor would be benched by the last game THIS YEAR.

You're embarrassing yourself...

Edited by transplantbillsfan

Saying a top draft pick will be the QB next year is 100% reasonable and I think that's clearly the plan if Tyrod and the team aren't more productive in 2017 than 2016.

It's those saying that Peterman is suddenly "The Guy" that I think are just grasping at straws at this point.

Is there anyone willing to bet Taylor isn't the starter Week 1 against the Jets barring injury? I'll give you 3 to 1 odds... :flirt:

To me there is two likely scenarios that can happen

Tyrod responds to better coaching with Dennison (and better pass catchers.....excited to see Sammy and Zay on the field together...not to mention that our number 3 guys are improved over last year....Homes....the carolina reciever.....Tate is back) and the bills decide that Tyrod IS the qb going forward.....Peterman (or C. Jones) continues to develop.....we go into next years draft with TWO first round picks that can actually be used at top guys at other positions.

Tyrod does not improve over last year......or regresses.....and the two first round picks are used (along with whatever else it takes) to draft another qb.......Peterson (or C. Jones) continues to be developed.

I am ready for either.....but I hope for option A.

I'm in for $100. Burn and turn, dealer.

that is a foolish bet.....but a fool and his money are soon parted

I'm in for $100. Burn and turn, dealer.

K. Don't know how you wanna put this together, but I'll give you those odds if you're really going to put money down that a healthy Tyrod Taylor is on the bench Week 1 because he lost his job to Yates, Jones or Peterman.

I'm a little amazed how out of your minds some of you folks are.

K. Don't know how you wanna put this together, but I'll give you those odds if you're really going to put money down that a healthy Tyrod Taylor is on the bench Week 1 because he lost his job to Yates, Jones or Peterman.

I'm a little amazed how out of your minds some of you folks are.

I amaze myself in that same way everyday. I'll send a PM.

There is an enormous difference in "not having a strong arm" which was Brees, and having an average arm, which seems to be Peterman right now. It seems like a semantic difference but it's really not. Guys like Brees obviously can succeed. Guys with weak or average arms cannot. There is some arguments over whether Peterman has just enough or just short of being enough. I am on the latter side, which is the only reason I'm not all over him. I think if he had the arm that Brees had coming out of college he would have been a number one pick. The reason people are saying career backup is because he has a weak or average arm.

Whenever someone - not just you - brings up the idea of how important arm strength is to play in the NFL, I think of Chad Pennington who had a very nice career. He played with accuracy and anticipation, which translates the best to the NFL game. Hoping this young man can do something similar or better.

I like him as a long term backup option.

I don't see starting material out of him though.

Did anyone watch the Pittsburgh offense with him?

It was basically a triple option with multiple presnap shifts to keep the defense guessing game plan.

He had a ton of TDs off shovel passes in the redzone.

He hit a ton of wide open RBs/Slot WRs on basically RPOs where there were misreads by the defense.

He has some tools so I'm OK with giving him a shot, but I'm not enamored with him by any means.

I watched a good bit of Peterman since he played in the ACC and I'm confident he'll have a decent NFL career as at least a #2.

I'll be shocked if he doesn't make the roster; the only question appears to be whether Cardale gets cut or they keep four QBs. They won't cut Yates because he's the vet who knows the offense.

Strengths: Good height to see the field. Very poised and composed. Smart and alert. Can read coverages. Good accuracy and touch. Produces in big spots and in big games. Has some Brian Griese in him and is a gamer. Generally plays within himself. Team leader.

Weaknesses: Can get pushed down more easily than you'd like. Lacks mobility and ability to avoid the rush. Lacks a really strong arm. Can't drive the ball down the field and does not throw a really tight spiral. System-type player who can get exposed if he must ad-lib and do things on his own.

Summary: Is not what you're looking for in terms of physical stature, strength, arm strength and mobility, but he has the intangibles and production and showed great Griese-like improvement as a senior. Could make it in the right system but will not be for everyone.

Lacks mobility? If there's one thing I saw in those highlight videos is that he has plenty of mobility. I don't know how fast he is but the kid was making 10, 20, 30 yard runs without much difficulty.

I like him as a long term backup option.

I don't see starting material out of him though.

Did anyone watch the Pittsburgh offense with him?

It was basically a triple option with multiple presnap shifts to keep the defense guessing game plan.

He had a ton of TDs off shovel passes in the redzone.

He hit a ton of wide open RBs/Slot WRs on basically RPOs where there were misreads by the defense.

He has some tools so I'm OK with giving him a shot, but I'm not enamored with him by any means.

So basically a West Coast Offense....much like the one BILLS will most likely be running. And one who has been taking snaps under center as a Pro Style Offense is an advantage.

As I've said before, no idea how it will work out but he seems like a good fit for this projected Offense.

Edited by BigBuff423

So basically a West Coast Offense....much like the one BILLS will most likely be running. And one who has been taking snaps under center as a Pro Style Offense is an advantage.

Yeah the passing game was WCO based, he had a lot of big gains on hitting guys over the middle in stride all year.

The RPO they ran was crazy effective.

They roll right have a TE from the backside on the Shovel pass, a RB running a flare and a slot WR running an out.

It was fun to watch!

Actually, I'm liking this pick more and more - check out his ratings when under pressure:

Nathan-Peterman.jpg

• He boosted his completion percentage by 9.8 percent on play action passes, the eighth-largest improvement in the class.
  • Passing in 2.5 seconds or less: 69.9 percent completion, 18 TD, 3 INT, 124.6 QB rating.
Passing in 2.5 seconds or less: 69.9 percent completion, 18 TD, 3 INT, 124.6 QB rating
The more I read the more convinced I am this was our best pick of the draft. I sincerely think Peterman has a better chance of success than any QB taken before him. I feel very comfortable moving forward with Tyrod and Peterman while still being set up well to draft a QB in the 1st next year if needed. Edited by HappyDays

I watched a good bit of Peterman since he played in the ACC and I'm confident he'll have a decent NFL career as at least a #2.

I'll be shocked if he doesn't make the roster; the only question appears to be whether Cardale gets cut or they keep four QBs. They won't cut Yates because he's the vet who knows the offense.

Well if he turns into a solid long term backup to our 2018 franchise guy that represents an important step forward.

Lacks mobility? If there's one thing I saw in those highlight videos is that he has plenty of mobility. I don't know how fast he is but the kid was making 10, 20, 30 yard runs without much difficulty.

That's Brady's scouting report, not Peterman's. I think it was supposed to be a comparison? They do have pretty similar scouting reports.

I saw a rumor on here that Yates will retire from football after training camp and immediately be hired as a QB coach in Buffalo, if I'm remembering correctly. He has connections to Dennison and ran his offense for several years, so it could be true.

(Chad Kelly) absolutely, apparently neither of you have seen him play. Very strong arm Mobil, if he gets his head screwed on right he could have the best outcome of anyone this year. Those who don't want him, have only seen the chatter about his personality....

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/43586992/

I think if scouts really had the lock on what will make a QB succeed n the NFL, all 32 teams would have franchise caliber QB and backups.

I do think that coming from Pittsburgh, Whaley was looking for the reincarnation of Big Ben with EJ and Cardale. Everybody would like a big, strong, sturdy QB with a great arm and great football ability, but don't prioritize what the guy looks like over everything else! You can't coach size or speed, but apparently where NFL QB are concerned you can't coach field vision, decision making, and throwing ability as much as one would like these days.

As long as he isn't rushed and can sit for a year.

If the situation dictates(TT injury or season slipping away), and he is ready, why can't Peterman play and succeed right away?

Because of the notion that EVERY QB in order to be successful, must sit and learn for a year?

Did it hurt Wilson and Prescott?

I'm not saying Peterman will be ready to handle it, but if the HC thinks he can be the man, then turn him loose.

God Thurm. It's clear I annoy you, but try reading posts and conversations you're responding to, please. What are you pulling 3 years from? I responded to Foxx who said he was 95% sure Taylor would be benched by the last game THIS YEAR.

You're embarrassing yourself...

Look - I do not think it will be a true open competition - I think baring injuries there is probably nearly a 100% chance TT starts the season as the QB.

I just do not think the team is going to view TT as anything more than a 1 year gap and if the schedule plays out tough and we are not winning - I would not be shocked to see a change at QB this year.

If I had to put odds on things - I would give higher odds to Peterman starting a game this year than TT being on the team in 3 years (meaning he got some type of extension). I think both are low odds, but I do not know how this team is planing for the next 12-24 months.

Whenever someone - not just you - brings up the idea of how important arm strength is to play in the NFL, I think of Chad Pennington who had a very nice career. He played with accuracy and anticipation, which translates the best to the NFL game. Hoping this young man can do something similar or better.

1. Pennington is the only one to even be good since Montana. 2. Pennington only went so far and never really won anything. He wasn't a top ten QB.

I do think that coming from Pittsburgh, Whaley was looking for the reincarnation of Big Ben with EJ and Cardale. Everybody would like a big, strong, sturdy QB with a great arm and great football ability, but don't prioritize what the guy looks like over everything else! You can't coach size or speed, but apparently where NFL QB are concerned you can't coach field vision, decision making, and throwing ability as much as one would like these days.

I think you're absolutely right. Once I realized that Whaley was very much prioritizing the wrong attributes at the position, I also realized he'd never find a quality QB and probably never get them past being a .500 team. Its unfortunate, because I think he was otherwise a decent GM, but he had a BIG blind spot at QB.

Pennington's undoing was his back and his concussions, not his arm.

Those things are what made him pitiful at the end where you felt sorry for him. Playing QB in the NFL requires about 25 different qualities and skills all at the same time and Pennington had almost all of them except his rag arm. When a player has almost all of them and still has a good arm he is a star or superstar every time.

Pete is going to scare alot of devout TT fans in TC and pre-season... Book it TODAY.

Oh Man, are we already to nickname him? Pistol Pete is already taken. Thank Goodness,that'd be a hot debate here. 😉

Pea-shooter Pete,maybe?

Edited by BuffAlone

Pennington's undoing was his back and his concussions, not his arm.

That's closer to the truth, his back was a constant issue. Still his arm wasn't an asset. From the film I have been watching, Peterman's arm looks to better than what I remember of Chad's days.

Completely different type of QB than any of they guys they've played/drafted since Trent/Fitz, maybe Orton (although I never saw Kyle as an anticipatory thrower) Will be interesting to see, but I'm betting he ousts Tyrod at some point if nothing else because we've seen a pivot with Yates and Peterman back to a classical pocket passing finesse QBs as opposed to mobile howitzer armed guys.

Given Tyrod strengths are so unique, if you build an offense around that but have a completely different style with the back up, do you have two completely different approaches accounted for in one playbook in case the starter goes down?

I assume the Cardale vs Peterman may be our fist look at which way McD wants the offense to evolve...