Is it okay to have a second team to root for?

No, if you grew up in the Buffalo area. It just doesn't make sense to me. For me, the Bills are more about Buffalo than the team. I'll never root for any city over my hometown.

Now, I root for 2 baseball teams, Cleveland and the Mets. Grew up liking the Mets and their druggies but the Bisons were Cleveland's farm team and Major League is an awesome movie. But I really don't care an eighth about them as much as the Bills.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I suppose if you've always lived in Buffalo than there is no reason for a second favorite team (unless you are fixin to have one!) I live in Arizona and do watch the Cardinals regularly and root for them as my second favorite. Was kinda fun two years ago actually watching the playoffs with something to root for- forgot what it's like!

Don't get me wrong the Bills first and foremost. Week 15 I pulled for the Bills against the Browns when there was a still a prayers chance of making the playoffs. Maybe a better choice of words may have been second favorite team. I've always seen the Browns as a similar team with similar misfortunes. See Cleveland as a similar city to Buffalo. So I root for them as well but never at the expense of the Bills.

Don't ever lump the Bills with the Browns... That is a disgusting thing to do. Let the Browns rot in hell.

Well you got that mostly correct... WHATEVER TEAM is playing the Patriots is the correct answer....

But I at the same time confess to like watching and cheering for Pittsburgh in the playoffs...

Kinda with you. I just can't bring myself to actually root for the Jets or Fins

Growing up in Hornell, we always got the Bills, the Giants and the Browns on TV (before cable). Bills were always number one for me, but I have no problem pulling for those other teams as well.

Edited by xsoldier54

I have a soft spot for the Browns and follow them during the year. Pulling for the Patriots or Dolphins or just jumping on some teams bandwagon I agree though is unacceptable.

Yes nothing wrong with rooting for a 2nd team. Assuming you really have a 1st team.

I am as die hard as any fan ever has been for Bills and Bills are #1 forever.

But I also like the Jets and Cards and root for them all the time, unless if it is detrimental in any way for Bills playoff hopes etc etc.......however it is never passionate like it is with Bills winning or losing. Just seeing Bills logo or hearing about Bills gets me fired up for games.

Fans that change teams every year or so are not invested and passionate about any team and don't realize the joy we get when our adopted team wins.

Edited by cba fan

There's only one team that puts me in a better or worse mood on Sundays (Bills). The other team that I'll casually check out.....Is the Lions (NFC team, alot of similarities to Buffalo). However they are not my second team. I don't have one.

I can't stand fans that change their allegiance on a periodic basis. I.e., the Patriots fan base was born in 2002.

Don't ever lump the Bills with the Browns... That is a disgusting thing to do. Let the Browns rot in hell.

Please. Bills/Browns are the 'bum fights' of the NFL.

The only thing we have over them is better uniforms.

The Bills and the Michigan Wolverines are my teams til death. Can't root hard for anyone else. Except my son just got offered a full ride scholarship to play football at Syracuse this coming season. He is a bad ass DE. Had 19 sacks his senior season for one of the best HS teams in the country, the Roswell Georgia Hornets. They played in the 7A state championship at the Georgia Dome last December. Lost in OT on a missed FG, after tying the game on the last play of regulation on a 20 yard TD pass. Heartbreaking loss. So I will become a big rooter of the Orangemen.

Their schedule is brutal this year. Their 5 road games are, out of conference at LSU. In conference at FSU, Miami, NC State and Louisville. And at home they play Pitt and Clemson. Also play BC and Wake at home and MTSU and Central Michigan at home as well. But that is a man's schedule. I told him to buckle up his chinstrap and be ready for some heavy duty banging in the trenches.

It's so much easier now with internet and Sunday ticket to follow a team.

It's a great idea, I usually like to draft a handful of fantasy players from one team and watch all their games, maybe bet a little cash on em, learn the whole team.

It helps ease the pain on the bad weeks for the Bills.

I've gotta say though, when our offense is fully healthy and clicking we have a very exciting QB, running backs and an elite WR. We don't win em all but there are some serious athletes on our roster. Even some of the big uglies.

No, if you grew up in the Buffalo area. It just doesn't make sense to me. For me, the Bills are more about Buffalo than the team. I'll never root for any city over my hometown.

Now, I root for 2 baseball teams, Cleveland and the Mets. Grew up liking the Mets and their druggies but the Bisons were Cleveland's farm team and Major League is an awesome movie. But I really don't care an eighth about them as much as the Bills.

what he said ^^^

I have a soft spot for the Browns and follow them during the year. Pulling for the Patriots or Dolphins or just jumping on some teams bandwagon I agree though is unacceptable.

I was born and raised in Cleveland. Lived in Cleveland and Columbus for over 40 years before moving to Buffalo almost 5 years ago. I root for the Browns and the Bills.

I root for anyone playing against the Patriots, Jets, or Chargers.. (my boss is a Charger fan)

That said, -Shame on you! -_-

I'm guessing a less than loving relationship with your boss, and a high confidence level the boss won't be checking in here.

The rules are simple.

1. If you grew up in Buffalo, and first became a football fan while living in Buffalo, you must remain first and foremost a Bills fan for the rest of your life.

UNLESS the Bills move to Toronto (or somewhere else). In that case, you should abandon your fandom immediately lest you become like the pathetic old Jewish guy on Long Island (o.k., "in Florida") who's still a Dodgers fan because he went to Ebbets Field when he was 8 years old.

2. But understanding that Buffalo underwent a massive depopulation beginning in the 1970s (and continuing, with occasional interruptions, to the present day), if (and only if) you moved to a city with its own NFL team, you are allowed to adopt that team as your "B" team. Understanding, however, that:

a. If you have a choice of watching the Bills or your adopted B team because their games are at the same time (in a bar, or on Sunday Ticket), you must watch the Bills game.

(i) EXCEPTION: if the Bills are mathematically eliminated and start EJ Manuel at QB, you may - in fact, you should - watch your B team instead of the Bills.

b. You are allowed to openly cheer on your B team (and to generally ignore the Bills, except during actual games) after the Bills fall out of playoff competition; i.e., after Thanksgiving.

c. You are not, however, under any circumstances to refer to your B team using the pronoun "we" - that must be reserved for the Bills only (I think Patslover Bill Simmons is usually credited with formulating this rule).

3. You are not, however, under any circumstances allowed to choose any AFC East team as your B team. If you move to NYC, you should choose the Giants. If you move to South Florida, you should choose Tampa. If you move to New England, you should ... well, you just shouldn't. Ever.

a. Your B team should never be a team with a more pathetic history of ineptitude than the Bills. Ideally it will be a competitive team. The point is to have a balance to restore your sanity and to feel good about life and your fellow man as Christmas approaches, not to double down on the misery. Bills/Browns fan: what the hell is wrong with you?

Edited by The Frankish Reich

I live in the PNW, and have for over 20 years. I will always be a Bills fan first and foremost, but I go to Hawks games based on a passion for the NFL and an overwhelming convenience. I wasn't lucky for a lot of years, but the Hawks aren't a bad squad for a secondary team these days.

Being in Maryland I do root for the Ravens when they aren't playing the Bills and I do have a soft spot for the Giants who beat Brady/Belichik in the Superbowl twice. Also, I'll tend to pull for teams who are mostly underdogs like the Browns, Lions, Redskins. As long as my ultimate support is for the Bills I see nothing wrong with any of that.

So, as I keep guessing, you probably don't feel over-paid?

Should've quit YEARS ago... It's Greco-Roman wrestling to get my frickin' raise when it's due... Sucks becuz I like the job, and love 99% of the people I deal with.

If your first team is the Bills and your second team is the Browns, you are doing it wrong.

Put me in that sad club as well.

The first game I ever saw on TV was not a Bills game despite growing up in Cheektowaga. It was a Browns game. Maybe 48 years ago. The Brownies were losing to Dallas by something like 14 but came back to win. Bill Nelson, Leroy Kelly, Paul Warfield... I was hooked.

Their move to Baltimore weakened the connection but the Browns remain my 2nd favorite NFL team. Clearly I'm cursed. Or I am a curse.

I spent as much of my life in Charlotte as I have in Buffalo. I root for the Panthers when they aren't playing the Bills. I have convinced myself it is acceptable because they are an NFC team.

I'd never root for the Bears and I have been here almost 30 years. When, The Pack beat them even better. Only team I get behind is the Sox. Maybe because we don't have, and never had MLB. Others... Meh! Even those lovable losers Cubs are now annoying...

Indy-Bears SB... Colts all the way! There are three towns that are totally insufferable when they win: Pittsburgh, Boston, & Chicago. They can't lose fast enough!

Actually, if BFLo ever wins, I can see us getting insufferable. Chicago & Pittsburgh is just us on steroids.

Wow... LoL I may not even stand it when we win... But let's test that winning water! Maybe losing is God's blessing to be humble.

:-)

I am a Bills fan since birth but somewhere along the way I've become a huge Steelers fan also, so much so that when the 2 are playing (Bills/Steelers) I have no worries about the outcome unless it changes the Bills playoff hopes, most of the time they are out of it by that time so I never really worry too much. I've been following the Steelers since Bubby Brister was QB. If that makes me a traitor or a fair weather fan, well I don't believe I am so that's all that matters.

No "2nd favorite" team for me. I've lived in Atlanta and couldn't stand the Falcons; I live in NC now and can't stand the Panthers. My rooting interests outside of Bills games are "which team winning helps the Bills more" or gambling-related (pick 'ems, survivor pools, fantasy, straight bets).

Edited by eball

• 2 weeks later...

I believe the answer is yes ! I have moved to suburb of Nashville Tn & when the Bills are not winning i look for a little relief from the Titans .

Which at times the past couple of years has been as tough as being a Bills fan !!

But it's all about to change !!

GO Bills !!