the Myles Jack Irony

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It rots my socks to see Myles "big draft risk, knee injury" playing for the Jaguars tonight while our top 2 draft choices languish in the infirmary.

That is all

Whaley is not responsible for Ragland, who knows how long Jack will play. Lawson will be fine and know one knows how good any of these players will be.

Yes, that was a big conversation piece, pre-draft. The thought was that he' d be a stud but lucky to last 3 or 4 years max. Time will tell.

The average lifespan of an nfl player is around 3.3 yrs., I believe. Don't know if that would be on the minds of GMs when the draft comes about.

The average lifespan of an nfl player is around 3.3 yrs., I believe. Don't know if that would be on the minds of GMs when the draft comes about.

When you draft a guy in the top 15 you expect him to play 8-10 years. The reason the average is around 3 is so many players play 1-2. The average for starting players is much higher.

It's like 10,000 spoons when all you need is a knife.

Precisely. It's a black fly in your chardonnay

The big risk with Jack is that by the time he gets accustomed to the NFL (in 3yrs) his knee will be gone.

Top draft picks supposed to come in ready to play, and 1st contracts only 4 years with an option for 5. Before the draft, there was all stuff about whether his rehab was going ultra-badly and he would be out at least a year. Then right before the draft, he would be ready day 1 but might need microfracture surgery some time in the future. Then the day after round 1, word was publicized from James Andrews no surgery needed.

Precisely. It's a black fly in your chardonnay

Top draft picks supposed to come in ready to play, and 1st contracts only 4 years with an option for 5. Before the draft, there was all stuff about whether his rehab was going ultra-badly and he would be out at least a year. Then right before the draft, he would be ready day 1 but might need microfracture surgery some time in the future. Then the day after round 1, word was publicized from James Andrews no surgery needed.

bla bla bla

bla bla bla

If you don't have anything substantive to add to the conversation, or you don't find anything worthwhile in the post you're responding to, WTF are you doing responding to it in the first place?

It's a fact that in this day of salary cap, teams can't afford to draft high picks and let them sit out significant portions of their rookie contracts - drafting a player high who can't contribute immediately is widely considered poor practice because teams know they won't be able to re-sign all their top performers after their rookie deals are done. It wasn't the "maybe he won't last more than 3-4 years" that caused Jack's stock to fall pre-draft, it was the pre-draft belief that his knee was healing so badly he would need repeat surgery and wouldn't be able to play this season.

You can't place the fluke injury of Ragland on Whaley, and Lawson will probably be a contributor for us for years. Jack's knee eventually is supposed to break down. Hopefully, not. He seems like a good kid.

Agreed, Jack seems like good kid and I wish him well. His honesty about his medical condition may have cost him millions. I hope you're right about Ragland and Lawson contributing for years.

People around here are world-class at reading in meanings and jumping to conclusions or projecting their own agendas. If that were an Olympic sport, we should field the team! I didn't say a word about Whaley, and I didn't have any hidden obscure meaning -that's what I was trying to indicate with "that is all".

I'm just saying it rots my socks to see Jack on the field while our two (supposedly field ready) draft picks are off in sick bay. Beerball nailed it exactly - "isn't it ironic?" It's like rain on your wedding day - it's no one's fault, it just sucks.

If you don't have anything substantive to add to the conversation, or you don't find anything worthwhile in the post you're responding to, WTF are you doing responding to it in the first place?

It's a fact that in this day of salary cap, teams can't afford to draft high picks and let them sit out significant portions of their rookie contracts - drafting a player high who can't contribute immediately is widely considered poor practice because teams know they won't be able to re-sign all their top performers after their rookie deals are done. It wasn't the "maybe he won't last more than 3-4 years" that caused Jack's stock to fall pre-draft, it was the pre-draft belief that his knee was healing so badly he would need repeat surgery and wouldn't be able to play this season.

Agreed, Jack seems like good kid and I wish him well. His honesty about his medical condition may have cost him millions. I hope you're right about Ragland and Lawson contributing for years.

People around here are world-class at reading in meanings and jumping to conclusions or projecting their own agendas. If that were an Olympic sport, we should field the team! I didn't say a word about Whaley, and I didn't have any hidden obscure meaning -that's what I was trying to indicate with "that is all".

I'm just saying it rots my socks to see Jack on the field while our two (supposedly field ready) draft picks are off in sick bay. Beerball nailed it exactly - "isn't it ironic?" It's like rain on your wedding day - it's no one's fault, it just sucks.

I'm the one who extended it to Whaley and I stand by that. I continue to believe that the decision to pass on Jack was short-sighted. I was banging the table for him at the time, and I still am - his ceiling is much higher than Ragland's. I'm concerned about the strategic approach to this year's draft - to me, the top two picks were based on need and scheme fit - and not overall talent. As some like BADOL have said, you don't use top draft picks to fill needs. You use them to select star players. Whaley and Rex seemed like they were drafting for their short-term job security this year, and I'm not ok with that. (And as far as irony goes, it has already blown up in their faces.)

Edited by Coach Tuesday

Im gonna say this once and then let it go

You are talking about where these players are in year 1 where they have not even got out of TRAINING CAMP.

If this is not the definition of knee jerk reaction then i dont know what is.

- If Shaq Lawson comes back back and looks like a stud player I hope you have the where with all to step back in and admit that you jumped the gun.

If it was a knee, achilles, hip or some degenerative condition I'd be a lot more concerned about the lawson pick. But it seems to be a pretty straightforward injury and surgery where he will probably have a nice long career and we forget about 6-8 games his rookie year. If he comes in and puts up 7-8 sacks in the second half we will forget about the missed games.

Ahh wormwood, how does that taste anyway?

Like chicken, of course.

If it lasts more than four hours, seek medical attention.

I would need medical attention for sure, as my wife would have cracked my mellon open with any available weapon long before that.

bla bla bla

That is a very intelligent response, please keep 'em coming.

Im gonna say this once and then let it go

You are talking about where these players are in year 1 where they have not even got out of TRAINING CAMP.

If this is not the definition of knee jerk reaction then i dont know what is.

- If Shaq Lawson comes back back and looks like a stud player I hope you have the where with all to step back in and admit that you jumped the gun.

If Lawson does live up to his draft status in the future that won't change the first half of the 2016 season. IIRC that is what this thread is about, but, please grab those pom poms and give us the same song and dance.

If Lawson does live up to his draft status in the future that won't change the first half of the 2016 season. IIRC that is what this thread is about, but, please grab those pom poms and give us the same song and dance.

Draft picks are long haul prospects not short term fixes

I would think that wouldnt have to be explained to someone like you

I forgot. Do they engrave how many games were missed on the busts in Canton?