If Tyrod leads us to the Playoffs

Bakin

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Say 10-6, decent stats, no injuries.....

Do you pay him $20M per year??

What are your MINIMUM expectations for him to sign him long term?

It depends on how much he contributes to it. If he is carrying the team, it's a lot different than "managing the game", while the defense is dominating (cough). It would probably be somewhere in between. It also depends on who else is available....lots of variables.

Tyrod freaking Taylor....20 plus million. For a A playoff appearance. No dont think so. He needs a specific offense. I dont see a huge bidding war market over him. Im Whaley, i would play some hardball in those negotiations.

The Bills also have the option of putting the Franchise tag and then evaluating Tyrod one more year. The Bills hold all the cards...And if they do pick a QB in this draft, then it puts pressure on Tyrod to not skip any activities.

The Bills also have the option of putting the Franchise tag and then evaluating Tyrod one more year. The Bills hold all the cards...And if they do pick a QB in this draft, then it puts pressure on Tyrod to not skip any activities.

Yep there's always the tag. But let's not get ahead of ourselves…..

the question seems simple but it isn't, because contracts aren't simple. I think they would and should give him a Andy Dalton type contract if he makes the playoffs and plays well. It's pay as you go and team-friendly, yet provides security with a big chunk up front and incentive to the player with escalators for playoff wins.

Edited by YoloinOhio

This draught is killing us because now everyone's goal is to just make the playoffs. Who cares about 10-6 and a wild card? Isn't the goal to win the Super Bowl? No, Tyrod can't win us the Super Bowl, so he isn't worth $20 to me let alone $20 million

This draught is killing us because now everyone's goal is to just make the playoffs. Who cares about 10-6 and a wild card? Isn't the goal to win the Super Bowl? No, Tyrod can't win us the Super Bowl, so he isn't worth $20 to me let alone $20 million

Can I get next year's lotto numbers too? Try 'isn't likely to' or something. Otherwise you come off looking foolish and overzealous. Can't? :doh:

20M is top 15 QB money... If he brings us to the playoffs, that puts him in a class among the 12 best teams, and credit is put on the QB play (bad as we know all to well) and good which clearly we don't know that well because we're concerned about paying a playoff QB top 15 money.

Yes, Tyrod should be a 20M a year guy in this case.

Tyrod freaking Taylor....20 plus million. For a A playoff appearance. No dont think so. He needs a specific offense. I dont see a huge bidding war market over him. Im Whaley, i would play some hardball in those negotiations.

Look what Osweiller got for doing nothing really.

And this talk about TT only getting that money if he is the "main reason" we get to the playoffs is silly. This defense isn't will never be as good as Denver's was last year, so if they get to the playoffs it has to be to a significant degree due to the offense and TT by implication.

Can I get next year's lotto numbers too? Try 'isn't likely to' or something. Otherwise you come off looking foolish and overzealous. Can't? :doh:

Anyone that thinks Tyrod can win us the Super Bowl looks more foolish. That's just common sense

I don't know about that. How did that work out for the Panthers and Norman?

Look what Osweiller got for doing nothing really.

And this talk about TT only getting that money if he is the "main reason" we get to the playoffs is silly. This defense isn't will never be as good as Denver's was last year, so if they get to the playoffs it has to be to a significant degree due to the offense and TT by implication.

Bradford got 9 trillion a year for sucking.

No.. Unless TT puts up 5000 yards and 40 TDs I wouldn't be offering $20 mil per

It depends, what are his stats? As record alone isn't going to secure him a salary IMHO. Also depending what it's worth we could do the franchise tag one year thing and give him another chance to prove himself before give him a long term BIG contract. Sort of like the Redskins did with Kurt Cousins.

Edited by The Jokeman

Unfortunately, it is becoming the average salary with the higher cap. Either way it will be a tough negotiation, I think that is becoming clear.

I think it's more likely he has a similar season or slightly better stats than he has a Manning/Brady type year. It's year two, not year 7. Whoever he signs with he will get what the current market is, not what we think he is worth.

I like him, and hope for the breakout year. I'm just not sure that is the likely scenario. I hope there are less questions about him, but think at the end of the year he will still be a huge question mark. It's unlikely we will know all that we hope to about him.

Edited by SRQ_BillsFan

I don't know about that. How did that work out for the Panthers and Norman?

different animal.

cats and bisons

Thing I worrie most about is, we give TT $20+.and then Roman leaves. TT might look lost without Roman... IE Kap

worth thinking about, not worrying about though. If TT is worth his salt he will have developed far enough next season to stand on his own, or he is not worth the contract his agent and some others think. imho

No.. Unless TT puts up 5000 yards and 40 TDs I wouldn't be offering $20 mil per

Then its tag him and hope

Unfortunately, it is becoming the average salary with the higher cap. Either way it will be a tough negotiation, I think that is becoming clear.

I think it's more likely he has a similar season or slightly better stats than he has a Manning/Brady type year. It's year two, not year 7. Whoever he signs with he will get what the current market is, not what we think he is worth.

I like him, and hope for the breakout year. I'm just not sure that is the likely scenario. I hope there are less questions about him, but think at the end of the year he will still be a huge question mark. It's unlikely we will know all that we hope to about him.

Lets hope the Coaches know, though.

looking at the 20 mil average as the number... 10 QBs currently make 20 mil or more per year - over the life of their most current contract.

Flacco, Rodgers, Wilson, Ben, Eli, Rivers, Newton, Ryan, Brady, and Brees

These guys are legit - they are all lower cap numbers because the team can fully commit to them 3 or 4 years down the line.

The next tier of guys (17-20 mil average per year) - Cousins, Tannehill, Kaep, Cutler, Romo, Osweiler, Stafford, Bradofrd, Smith

He probably falls in here somewhere. These guys have less guaranteed at the end of their deals, but the AVERAGE value of 20 mil makes sense. Osweiler got 18 this year with almost 40 guaranteed. TT is probably better and will want the extra year to give him 5. And will want the guarantee pushing 50 million.

Oh - and TT's current contract pays him less than Geno Smith's (a 2nd round pick) rookie contract. The guy has every right to want to get paid.

Edited by dneveu

Quibble all you want about what you'd pay TT. If he gets the Bills to the playoffs and makes the pro bowl, even as an alternate, he is getting top dollar from somebody.

Is making a Pro Bowl really leverage? It's a friggin joke.

Quibble all you want about what you'd pay TT. If he gets the Bills to the playoffs and makes the pro bowl, even as an alternate, he is getting top dollar from somebody.

He's not going to get top dollar--he'll get a little more than what amounts to an average starting QB salary, which is around $20M per year. That would put him 10th among QBs, ahead of Kaepernick/Romo/Osweiler/Stafford. Then when Brees, Cousins, and Luck get their new deals next year, Tyrod's deal will drop down to 13th, placing him squarely middle of the pack for starting QBs.

yes because it's leverage over the guys who didnt

But is it? I can't see any GM or HC pining over a guy because he won a popularity contest to be on a team that plays in a meaningless game.

EDIT - This isn't a shot at Tyrod. It's just me questioning whether a Pro Bowl bid means anything when teams decide to pay players.

But if it's based on Pro Bowl performance .... they Taylor has a lot less leverage.

Edited by Gugny

But is it? I can't see any GM or HC pining over a guy because he won a popularity contest to be on a team that plays in a meaningless game.

EDIT - This isn't a shot at Tyrod. It's just me questioning whether a Pro Bowl bid means anything when teams decide to pay players.

But if it's based on Pro Bowl performance .... they Taylor has a lot less leverage.

Well we'll see. You might be right but judging what players who have done less get paid, I doubt it. TT is going to be a very wealthy man. Whether it's the Bills or another team is the only question.

He's not going to get top dollar--he'll get a little more than what amounts to an average starting QB salary, which is around $20M per year. That would put him 10th among QBs, ahead of Kaepernick/Romo/Osweiler/Stafford. Then when Brees, Cousins, and Luck get their new deals next year, Tyrod's deal will drop down to 13th, placing him squarely middle of the pack for starting QBs.

Year by year, it's always a game of contract leap frog.

So Tyrod Taylor can't win a Super Bowl but just last season the Super Bowl was won by a team that literally got the worst quarterback play of any team in the entire league? Got it.

So Tyrod Taylor can't win a Super Bowl but just last season the Super Bowl was won by a team that literally got the worst quarterback play of any team in the entire league? Got it.

Mic drop.

Oh - and those defending super bowl champs asked what it would take to get TT... so they could try to win the super bowl again.

Edited by dneveu