Cyrus Kouandijo

Can someone please explain why the Bills haven't considered moving Kouandijo inside to a guard position? The guy obviously doesn't have the feet, right now, to play the tackle position. He's known to be a "road grater", and could possibly be the solution to the Bills O-line problems. Has there been any talk of moving him there?

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can someone please explain why the Bills haven't considered moving Kouandijo inside to a guard position? The guy obviously doesn't have the feet, right now, to play the tackle position. He's known to be a "road grater", and could possibly be the solution to the Bills O-line problems. Has there been any talk of moving him there?

We don't know they haven't considered it. Think he improved as he played last week. They probably want to give him some more time at tackle to see if he can do it.

Koundjio was considered an agile left tackle in college, not a road grader. Saban moved Barrett Jones to center and placeded Koundjio into the LT spot, and Barrett Jones was a very good player.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barrett_Jones

He would have been drafted earlier but he was injured.

I think that the Bills banked on Koundjio's potential. He doesn't seem healthy; it may or may not pay off. That said, Henderson looks a lot better so far, but it is early.

i am concerned about kouandjio right now. he is getting abused on the field right now, and he will be getting blasted this week for those last two plays. probably his worst two snaps of the night were the back to back game clinching whiffs. like i said, i feel bad for this guy, but i also believe this may be a great time for the proverbial "gut check".

Koundjio was considered an agile left tackle in college, not a road grader. Saban moved Barrett Jones to center and placeded Koundjio into the LT spot, and Barrett Jones was a very good player.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barrett_Jones

He would have been drafted earlier but he was injured.

I think that the Bills banked on Koundjio's potential. He doesn't seem healthy; it may or may not pay off. That said, Henderson looks a lot better so far, but it is early.

Watching him play a lot in college, I'm not sure who would ever consider him agile. He lumbered around and looked to excert maximum effort to get his feet moving fast. He was the epitome of a road grader IMO.

I think he's going to get cut, actually.

It's amazing how a guy like this could be a bust, but he is.

By the way, the sack at the end was comical. He totally whiffed on the block, and then HE was the one who caused the fumble-- he reached in and knocked the ball out of Tuel's hand.

Edited by JR in Pittsburgh

I had such high hopes for kouandjio coming out of college. I thought he was the second coming of cordy glenn. But everything I have seen from him as a bill has been horrible. We can't give up on him so soon as he is a second round pick but that's about the only reason I can see for keeping him right now. I really hope he turns things around.

It's early but he's been terrible. He's quite young and has plenty of time to improve but you have to hope his confidence and drive don't get beaten down by the struggles he seems likely to keep enduring. A team like this cannot afford to miss on high 2nd round picks. Gotta hope it gets better.

I actually thought Aaron Williams was even worse a couple years ago.

I'm not holding out a lot of hope, but it happens folks.

Aaron was bad, but he also started out as a CB. The move to safety was great for him, obviously. Some have mentioned moving Cyrus inside to OG, maybe that's something the team will have to consider if he doesn't improve.

i am concerned about kouandjio right now. he is getting abused on the field right now, and he will be getting blasted this week for those last two plays. probably his worst two snaps of the night were the back to back game clinching whiffs. like i said, i feel bad for this guy, but i also believe this may be a great time for the proverbial "gut check".

taking a guy in the 2nd round who failed most teams physicals and has arthritic knees is never a good idea. Even if they were in love with him, he would/should have been available in the 3rd. I feel bad for him, he seems like a great guy, hard worker, but he cannot play tackle in the NFL. Guard is the only possible position for him.

Brought this up in the game thread, but don't be surprised if they IR him and blame it on the predraft knee concerns.

That gives them all of next offseason and camp to try and salvage him.

and opens up a roster spot for someone who can block. I like the idea.

Guard is pretty crowded with candidates right now. I suspect that when Glenn returns we will see Henderson get some reps at RT and Kouandjio get some reps at guard. If Kouandjio looks bad there too then I think he may be in some danger of getting cut.

Brought this up in the game thread, but don't be surprised if they IR him and blame it on the predraft knee concerns.

That gives them all of next offseason and camp to try and salvage him.

I don't think the NFL would like that.

To help us all feel better, think of it like this: Henderson is the 2nd round guy, Richardson 5th, and KoJo 7th. … now I feel better, two potential starters from this draft. That is a a good year. :cry:

Edited by CSBill

If you want to feel even worse, recall that Whaley was trying frantically to trade the second round pick for Carlos Hyde, who evidently is looking terrific in camp. (I do like the Bryce Brown pickup, though.)

By the way, one problem with moving Cyrus K. to guard is his height: strong as he is, it's easy for a DT to get under the pads of someone that tall, which is why you don't see many 6'7" guards or centers in the NFL.

The Cordy Glenn pick was brilliant, and picking Eric Wood has worked out well, but otherwise the story of the Bills line is getting by with mediocrity: Pears, Legursky, Brown, Urbick and now Williams, who may work out but was average at best with the Bears and Rams. So it's depressing to see Cyrus K. and Richardson struggling. A fine set of receivers and running backs isn't much help when the OL can't pass protect and open lanes. My hopes are pinned on a Glenn-Williams-Wood-Hairston-Pears/Henderson line, but I realize that this working out is a long-shot.

When was the last time the Bills had a terrific line, hands down?

At this point calling him a turnstyle would be a compliment as turnstyles at least slow someone down for a second or two. His play however is more like a ghost as players just go right through him to flatten our QB.

Kujo simply can't be on the opening day roster because if he sees the field Manuel will become an endangered species.

He'll either be helped off the field with an apparent injury in these next two games and placed on IR or he'll simply be cut and signed to the PS as I doubt that anyone will want to take a chance on him given his tape so far.

With a 2nd rd pick they gotta figure kujo out i watched him in college alot ,only thing i see different is hes been on right side at bama always on left .

but so far he just plain stinks, im kinda exspecting him to wind up on IR this year or just plain cut but being that high of pick itd be a monumental waste of the pick. .

By the way, the sack at the end was comical. He totally whiffed on the block, and then HE was the one who caused the fumble-- he reached in and knocked the ball out of Tuel's hand.

He is not a bust just yet, and I highly doubt the team cuts a 2nd round pick after 3 preseason games.

At Alabama, the coaching staff had him pulling, and leading on some run plays at LT. So the RT position is new to him. Think that doesn't matter? Then look at Kraig Urbik and how he looks so god awful at LG as opposed to the RG position he has manned the last few years for the Bills. That Bama coaching staff also stated that they think that Cujo could eventually develop into a better player then DJ Fluker, minus the nastiness .

It could be that the guy is upset that he is playing RT. Then again the kid played much better in 2012 then he did in 2013, so perhaps he is still recovering from lingering injuries he suffered last year, who knows.

Some players simply may need more time then others to adapt to the NFL, and a new position. Its way to early to give up on him at this point, and like others have pointed out, as a last resort he could play OG.

When every player at a certain position looks bad, it's typically a coaching issue. Take the QBs for example - every QB looks worse than last year. The QB coach is the same guy that helped Stafford to his worst season ever. Based on what we've seen so far, the QB coach should be among the early cuts as well.

With Seantrell Henderson playing well with the ones and him getting torched by 3rd/4th stringers and pretty much single handedly losing the Steelers game yesterday, he might be in danger of getting cut...the guy has been nothing short of awful

He has been awful. But some of this blame must go on the FO. No reason to spend a second round pick on an O-lineman who has arthritic knees. Hyde and Sankey were available, as well as a bevy of other good players such as two top TE's. He can't keep up with the speed of the game. Perhaps he'd be a better backup DT, given his ability to create turnovers and sacks?

Edited by RyanC883