Legette vs. McConkey

Curious - if you had to chose between Legette and McConkey at 28 -- who do you take?  

Personally I take McConkey (but I really like Legette too).  My thinking is -- McConkey is may be the best separator in the draft.  If a receiver can separate Josh will find him (as he found Beasly).  After Harrison and Odumze, other than Legette, there are not big-bodied X's I truly love.  I like Thomas, but I assume he is gone (and he is not really a size match-up problem).  I don't trust Mitchell or Franklin, do not like Coleman or Walker.  I would take McConkey and be sure to get Brendan Rice later.  While he has some limitations, all scouting reports seem to say that the 6'4" Rice has elite acceleration and can really take the top off.  Having an X that can do that would be great.  Shakir and McConkey can be really strong mixed through as the Z and slot.  Both of them can get deep as well.

Personally,  I would take McConkey, Defense at 60, move up from 128 to get Rice and spend the rest of my picks on defense (save maybe an IOL and very late RB (like pick 248)).

Thoughts?

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 4

This is a tough question for me. I’d love to answer “both.” Legette has the higher ceiling IMO. McConkey certainly has the higher floor. I think McConkey will be better in 2024 because he’s more refined at this point.

The answer is that you actually need BOTH of those skill sets still on this team. If forced to choose, I’ll say Legette because what he has is harder to teach. I can find a guy a little later, albeit smaller, but that also separates in Jacob Cowing. I think that it’s easier to find good footwork than it is to find that size/speed combination.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I probably wouldn’t take either at 28, but McConkey is an early 2nd type to me so he’s close. Legette is not IMO.

The concern with McConkey (beyond the injury history) is I think he mostly gives us more of what we already have rather than giving us something new. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 3

McConkey just seems like the best all around WR prospect outside of the top 3 to me and he aligns with what the Bills seem to value... excellent separation,  route running,  downfield speed and YAC ability.  I think he's very likely to develop into a guy who catches 80 passes for 1,000-1,200 yards per season.  I'll take that at 28.

I like Legette as well and would not be unhappy if the Bills select him 1st.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

12 minutes ago, Sweats said:

I don't know, McConkey has always seemed a "gadget" player in college and we've got enough of those guys on the team already........Cook, Kincaid, etc.

They used him that way to some degree,  but his average depth of target the last two years was over 12 and generally in line with the other top prospects.

McConkey will be a very good WR.  He probably won't make it to the elite level but he will be reliable.  

McConkey all day.

4 minutes ago, dpberr said:

You take the receiver with the superior route running intelligence and ability.   That's the difference maker in the NFL.

That's McConkey here.  

That's what will make him a very good NFL WR for a long time.

Edited by Royale with Cheese

I would love a Franklin and Leggete combination. 

You combine those two with Kincaid, Shakir, and cook on the field, and that would be a diverse, and explosive set of eligible receivers to combine with Josh's playmaking.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

I think the age factor has to come into play when considering Legette. He's going to be 28 when he's up for a second contract, and I think that's kind of a big deal. It's a better investment of draft capital to go with someone younger (to a point, if he's floating around in the 3rd I think he's a no brainer). 

• Like (+1) 1

McConkey is an easy choice for me as Legette has a lot more risk to me than McConkey.  Don’t get me wrong, he has a huge ceiling too and is an exciting prospect and I would be fine with him in the 2nd, but at 28 McConkey may be the most sure bet outside the big 3 in the draft to bring value and do it this year.  

Legette was a ghost all of college until his 5th year where almost all his career production came from.  You don’t know which guy you’re getting and he isn’t as polished in a lot of the areas McConkey is.  Legette does have elite potential still, I just think its gonna take a season or two for him to really put it all together (assuming he does), so I won’t hate drafting him at 28 if he was the pick, but I’d feel more confident in McConkey, especially in what he would do for us this year.  

• Like (+1) 3

See I like McConkey and I think he will be successful. And I don't have a problem with drafting him. But I do have trouble with him in round 1. Like he is small. He isn't tiny, but he is small. I guess my biggest issue is that he wasn't insanely productive in college, his best season was 762 yards. I do think he will be a better pro and I think he helps, but he isn't the real answer. I'm down with him as a "second guy." 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

31 minutes ago, dpberr said:

You take the receiver with the superior route running intelligence and ability.   That's the difference maker in the NFL.

That's McConkey here.  

To me, that's Franklin all day.  Watch his tape, dude lines up everywhere and runs every route.  He had some drop issues, which is a concern for me as well, but if he didn't, I think we are talking about a top 5 receiver class

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

It depends on what you want. Do you want another small slot guy or do you want a big strong blocking guy? Or do you get someone like AD Mitchell to play the Diggs role? I like McConkey but I think we already have some McConkey's on the team and we need a Gabe or Diggs replacement 

• Agree 3

3 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

See I like McConkey and I think he will be successful. And I don't have a problem with drafting him. But I do have trouble with him in round 1. Like he is small. He isn't tiny, but he is small. I guess my biggest issue is that he wasn't insanely productive in college, his best season was 762 yards. I do think he will be a better pro and I think he helps, but he isn't the real answer. I'm down with him as a "second guy." 

I think the production issue is valid and it's something the Bills would have to look into.  Is it more about McConkey or Georgia's offensive system?  Also,  were they limiting him to some degree since he had some nagging injuries?   I don't know. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

It depends on what you want. Do you want another small slot guy or do you want a big strong blocking guy? Or do you get someone like AD Mitchell to play the Diggs role? I like McConkey but I think we already have some McConkey's on the team and we need a Gabe or Diggs replacement 

And, IMO, McConkey is about as close to a skill set to Diggs as there is. Size, route running, and McConkey is a bit faster.

Edited by Beast
  • Agree 3

1 hour ago, MarlinTheMagician said:

Curious - if you had to chose between Legette and McConkey at 28 -- who do you take?  

Personally I take McConkey (but I really like Legette too).  My thinking is -- McConkey is may be the best separator in the draft.  If a receiver can separate Josh will find him (as he found Beasly).  After Harrison and Odumze, other than Legette, there are not big-bodied X's I truly love.  I like Thomas, but I assume he is gone (and he is not really a size match-up problem).  I don't trust Mitchell or Franklin, do not like Coleman or Walker.  I would take McConkey and be sure to get Brendan Rice later.  While he has some limitations, all scouting reports seem to say that the 6'4" Rice has elite acceleration and can really take the top off.  Having an X that can do that would be great.  Shakir and McConkey can be really strong mixed through as the Z and slot.  Both of them can get deep as well.

Personally,  I would take McConkey, Defense at 60, move up from 128 to get Rice and spend the rest of my picks on defense (save maybe an IOL and very late RB (like pick 248)).

Thoughts?

McConkey never had more then 40 catches and 750yds in college u sure u want him?

1 hour ago, MarlinTheMagician said:

Thoughts?

I rather do the same thing your proposing but take a Combo of Xaxier Leggette and Malik Washington. Much better combo in my opinion for same pks 

2 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

IMO,  McConkey is not a slot guy,  though he'll probably play there some.  He's about the same size as Diggs,  actually,  maybe a little lighter.   He's also bigger than many of the high round WR prospects they've brought in over the last two or three years.  I don't think the Bills are as concerned over size at WR.  

• Like (+1) 1

Many people are underselling XL because of what they've parroted from other people, and that's fine. I also suspect the "intellect concerns" could wrongly be tied to something as silly as him having a strong southern dialect. A one trick pony he is NOT. Watch the all-snaps video. Anyway, 1st round picks are for athletic traits and upside in my opinion.

I do think LM is going to be a reliable, consistent separator and fine player and would be happy to get him as well, just not my preference. If he is part of a "double dip" at WR I'd be ecstatic.

I am not one of those "this guy is great, so this other guy sucks" people that are so common on forums.

Edited by 34-78-83
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Beast said:

And, IMO, McConkey is about as close to a skill set to Diggs as there is. Size, route running, and McConkey is a bit faster.

I think a big knock on McConkey was his ability to fight through man coverage at the line. Thus he would play more in the slot at the next level. If you are playing the Diggs role then you are out there on an island and you need to be able to get off the line. I think he's best served in the slot. But agree to disagree 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Legette is my 3rd realistic guy after top 3. As like Thomas Jr., Mitchell and Legette. As to me his size/speed separates him from the McConkleys Persall and Worthy to be a WR1 Yet if we wait or trade down can see taking a Franklin or Baker or Walker as WR2 guys that can play on the outside.

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Beast said:

That's kind of where I'm at on McConkey.  I'm not saying he's the same guy,  but if you wanted a Diggs replacement,  he's around the same basic size, speed, athleticism profile,  and is a good route runner and gets separation as well.  Hits all the marks on character,  work ethic,  etc.  And they've shown tons of interest in this type of player at WR,   too.

Again,  I've been wrong before.  I'll probably be wrong Thursday night.  But just based on the types of guys they've brought in for visits and that projected as early round picks the last two or three years, and even their higher profile FA/trade acquisitions including Diggs,    McConkey seems like a clear favorite at 28 to me. 

Edited by Brandon
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

019cc09d-cde9-4150-97e8-a2e9c59bead0_tex

I'd be happy with either. And hope the remaining player doesnt end up in KC.

15 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

I think a big knock on McConkey was his ability to fight through man coverage at the line. Thus he would play more in the slot at the next level. If you are playing the Diggs role then you are out there on an island and you need to be able to get off the line. I think he's best served in the slot. But agree to disagree 

I think you're both right. He's close to Diggs' skill set, except for the getting off the line part.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, GerstAusGosheim said:

What an unfortunate variation of the Irish surname, McConaghy.

You can say that again!