Zach Wilson to Broncos

46 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Trubisky, in my opinion, is among the worst backups in the NFL. I truly believe that he is simply awful and I have zero confidence in the Bills winning a game with him ever needing to play more than a dozen or so snaps.

- The Steelers were 7-3 when Pickett started and finished the game last season. He had wins over playoff teams such as Baltimore, Cleveland and the Rams. He threw for over 200 yards in 60% of his games.

- They were 0-3 with Trubisky starting. All of those losses came against non-playoff teams. He threw for over 200 yards in 0% of his games.

I really wish he was not on the roster.

Zach Wilson on the other hand is not great, but I truly think he has potential as a backup. Heck, he's beaten us twice.

No question he’s better but it’s Wilson’s contract price that excluded him from being here .

But I don’t ever want to invest money into a backup QB because if Josh goes down our season is over anyways 

Edited by DJB

5 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Yeah I mean if there is a place where Wilson has a chance to make it it’s with Payton competing with Stidham. And Wison is still more interesting than that next crop of quarterbacks. 

He needs to grow a beard or something. A little re-birth. 

I'd like him to have an evil goatee. Or a handlebar mustache.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, TheWeatherMan said:

Did this idiotic trade create cap relief for the Jets?  

The Broncos are picking up half of Zach's salary of 5.5M.

This was the surprising thing to me.   I would have have thought any trade would have resulted in Jets eating at least 4M of the 5.5M.

https://sports.yahoo.com/jets-broncos-split-zach-wilsons-193402288.html

Edited by Billy Claude
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1

46 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

Why shouldn't Wilson get fired? He sucks and for all we know he's a huge ***** *****.

He should too. But last year after Rodgers went down, after Wilson struggled against the Cowboys and they got rocked. Salah essentially said something to the effect of “it’s all Wilson’s fault”

Like, build up your players dude. Salah is horrible HC

1 hour ago, Einstein said:

Trubisky, in my opinion, is among the worst backups in the NFL. I truly believe that he is simply awful and I have zero confidence in the Bills winning a game with him ever needing to play more than a dozen or so snaps.

- The Steelers were 7-3 when Pickett started and finished the game last season. He had wins over playoff teams such as Baltimore, Cleveland and the Rams. He threw for over 200 yards in 60% of his games.

- They were 0-3 with Trubisky starting. All of those losses came against non-playoff teams. He threw for over 200 yards in 0% of his games.

I really wish he was not on the roster.

Zach Wilson on the other hand is not great, but I truly think he has potential as a backup. Heck, he's beaten us twice.

I'm not going to defend Trubisky and we're talking about something that was already decided obviously. I think there's some comfort in Mitch being around our offense and Brady. Where I'm skeptical of Wilson's ability to learn and translate to the field.  I think so low if Wilson, I'm not sure I'd swap a 6th round pick for a 7th to get him.

• Thank you (+1) 2

3 hours ago, somnus00 said:

Wilson went #2 overall for a reason. I didn't like him as a prospect and was happy the Jets took him, but the guy has the tools. It will be interesting to see if Sean Payton can get something out of him...at least now that he's out of the division.

My guess is that Wilson went #2 because Woody Johnson wanted him.  I have nothing to prove anything but in the twenty plus years that Johnson has owned the Jests, the team has invested 4 first round picks in QBs:  2000 - #18 Chad Pennington, 2009 - #5 Mark Sanchez, 2018 - #3 Sam Darnold, and 2021 - #2 Zach Wilson.  Only Pennington came close to being a franchise QB, and he simply couldn't stay on the field because of injuries.  I believe that each of these QBs were drafted by a different GM, so it the only common denominator is Johnson.

• Like (+1) 1

I agree that Trubisky was bad in Pittsburgh, but he did his job well when he was with the Bills and it just seems to be a good fit.  He's better than Kyle Allen.  With 11 draft picks, I wouldn't be upset if they took a flyer on a late round long-term practice squad/developmental prospect and see if the kid could develop into a backup.  I agree that Wilson has tools, but I just don't think he's got it between the ears to be a successful NFL QB, despite having a couple of wins against the Bills.  Those wins against the Bills were more about the Jests defense and the Bills mistakes than they were about Wilson lighting them up.  I prefer Trubisky to Wilson on the Bills roster.  There is something to team chemistry and Mitch adds to it, while Wilson does not.  (Not to steer this in a totally different direction, but clearly Diggs was no longer good for team chemistry.)

Edited by msw2112
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

This is ludicrous.

It's not. And the NFL agrees with me.

Trubisky was released by the Steelers as he had no trade value. He has lost 5 of his last 6 games, all of which were games against NON-playoff teams. This, while playing on a Steelers roster that had a winning record when he was NOT the quarterback.

Wilson on the other hand was worthy enough to trade some draft value (albeit small) for. Last year, Zach Wilson beat THREE (3) playoff teams. The Bills, Eagles, and Texans. He also took the Chiefs down to the final minute. He beat more playoffs team last year than Trubisky has beaten in the last five (5) years COMBINED.

I don't want either as a starter, but as for a backup, give me Zach all day, every day over Trubisky. I watched Trubisky hold the Steelers back repeatedly over the last two years. It is my opinion that he is barely deserving of an NFL roster spot.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

7 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Yeah I don't think he is the answer, but they should punt on the QB in the first round this year. They will not be able to jump the Vikings so they should trade down for an extra 1 next year like the Bills did in 17. They have very little capital. 

If the next Mahomes is in this draft and falls to Jets position, I very much hope they trade out of the pick. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Einstein said:

I would have taken him as a backup over Trubisky. 

Saw flashes him in (backup flashes - not starter).

Yeah, and against the Bills.  The Bills lost to Darnold also. 

5 hours ago, Einstein said:

Trubisky was released by the Steelers as he had no trade value. He has lost 5 of his last 6 games, all of which were games against NON-playoff teams. This, while playing on a Steelers roster that had a winning record when he was NOT the quarterback.

Wilson on the other hand was worthy enough to trade some draft value (albeit small) for. Last year, Zach Wilson beat THREE (3) playoff teams. The Bills, Eagles, and Texans. He also took the Chiefs down to the final minute. He beat more playoffs team last year than Trubisky has beaten in the last five (5) years COMBINED.

I don't want either as a starter, but as for a backup, give me Zach all day, every day over Trubisky. I watched Trubisky hold the Steelers back repeatedly over the last two years. It is my opinion that he is barely deserving of an NFL roster spot.

Wilson, three years into his NFL career has gone from #2 pick to 7th round value. If the Bears had traded Trubisky three years after being the #2 pick they'd have got a better return, without doubt. 

Wilson has talent. He can't run an offense. Mentally he has no idea what he is doing. Trubisky isn't super talented but you don't put up the numbers he has without understanding NFL offense. 

I wouldn't want either as my starter either. But Mitch Trubisky is fine as a backup. And he is a considerable upgrade on what the Bills had last year.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Sweats said:

I don't know what the hell Denver's doing over there........they're just adding more fuel to the dumpster fire.

53M dead cap hit for wilson... plus 32 in 2025.  

Figure thats your QB hit so... you can build the rest of a team.  What you can't do is find an adequate QB for cheap.  

• Agree 1

16 hours ago, nosejob said:

Seriously?   signed...Baker

16 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

good point. That was probably worse. 

🤔

Baker at least had a part time contract looking after Cleveland Browns Stadium.

Zach was stuck singing David Lee Roth for favours:

🎵I'm just a gigolo and everywhere I go 🎶
🎵People know the part I'm playing 🎶
🎵Paid for every dance, selling each romance🎶
🎵Oh, what they're saying? 🎶

(apologies to Louis Prima)

• Haha (+1) 1

Well if the Bills could have two Allens at QB last year, why not let the Broncos have two Wilsons?  

RW is still a viable QB but is not nearly as good as he used to be.  I think being around him will help ZW settle in, learn the position, see what works and what doesn't, and turn out to be a reliable backup QB.  ZW certainly has a good arm, he just has no clue how to read defenses or respond to pressure.  These are things he can learn by watching, which is what he should have been able to do if the Jets had a brain (similar to what the Chiefs did with Mahomes as a rookie).

58 minutes ago, Utah John said:

Well if the Bills could have two Allens at QB last year, why not let the Broncos have two Wilsons?  

RW is still a viable QB but is not nearly as good as he used to be.  I think being around him will help ZW settle in, learn the position, see what works and what doesn't, and turn out to be a reliable backup QB.  ZW certainly has a good arm, he just has no clue how to read defenses or respond to pressure.  These are things he can learn by watching, which is what he should have been able to do if the Jets had a brain (similar to what the Chiefs did with Mahomes as a rookie).

You do realize that Denver cut RW, right? The only thing remaining of RW in Denver is a giant cap hit...

I don't think it's crazy to think if Zack was handled and developed differently we may have a different opinion of him. The guy was basically drafted to be the savior on day 1 and then thrown to the wolves on one of the most forlorn teams and a defensive minded coach. Jets fans had the SB pegged before they even submitted the draft card. I bet if Team McBeane spent the draft capital we'd have done a better job developing and got more out of him. *shrugs*

12 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Wilson, three years into his NFL career has gone from #2 pick to 7th round value.

And Trubisky has zero trade value. 

He was released by the Bears just 1 year after the Jets released Wilson and the Bills got him on a 1 year, $2M deal. He had no market then and he has no market now.

12 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

But Mitch Trubisky is fine as a backup. 

Steelers record with Trubisky: 2-6

Steelers record without Trubisky: 17-9

I'm not sure how it gets much clearer than that.

Zach Wilsons record sucks too, but the Jets suck with or without Wilson. He did not drag them down like Trubisky dragged the Steelers down. As mentioned prior, Zach Wilson beat 3 playoff teams last year. Took the Super Bowl champs to the final minute too.

• Eyeroll 2

16 hours ago, Einstein said:

And Trubisky has zero trade value. 

He was released by the Bears just 1 year after the Jets released Wilson and the Bills got him on a 1 year, $2M deal. He had no market then and he has no market now.

Steelers record with Trubisky: 2-6

Steelers record without Trubisky: 17-9

I'm not sure how it gets much clearer than that.

Zach Wilsons record sucks too, but the Jets suck with or without Wilson. He did not drag them down like Trubisky dragged the Steelers down. As mentioned prior, Zach Wilson beat 3 playoff teams last year. Took the Super Bowl champs to the final minute too.

I don't think the Steers W-L thing is the slam dunk you think it is. Pittsburgh wins games based on its defense. In the past two seasons, Trubisky's era there, they have won 19 games. In only 3 of those have they given up 20 points or more.... the starters in those three games were one each for Trubisky, Pickett and Rudolph. 

I wouldn't want either as my starter. But I'd take Trubisky over Wilson as my backup 100 times out of 100. Now if I was Denver and I didn't have a QB I'd take Wilson because who knows... maybe there is something untapped that freed from the Jets can come out. We definitely know at this stage who Trubisky is. But his floor is comfortably higher than Wilson's.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't think the Steers W-L thing is the slam dunk you think it is. Pittsburgh wins games based on its defense. In the past two seasons, Trubisky's era there, they have won 19 games. In only 3 of those have they given up 20 points or more.... the starters in those three games were one each for Trubisky, Pickett and Rudolph. 

I wouldn't want either as my starter. But I'd take Trubisky over Wilson as my backup 100 times out of 100. Now if I was Denver and I didn't have a QB I'd take Wilson because who knows... maybe there is something untapped that freed from the Jets can come out. We definitely know at this stage who Trubisky is. But his floor is comfortably higher than Wilson's.  

Wilson has been in the league a few years now. He has all the physical skills to play QB at the NFL level but it's the mental part of the game where he is completely lost. At this point he is trending towards bust territory.

11 minutes ago, Gregg said:

Wilson has been in the league a few years now. He has all the physical skills to play QB at the NFL level but it's the mental part of the game where he is completely lost. At this point he is trending towards bust territory.

I agree, he is. Which is why I wouldn't go for him as a backup. But if you are the Broncos in a take a punt on anything mode I see why the possibility that it was a Jets problem is worth a 7th round pick. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/22/2024 at 8:21 PM, Einstein said:

Apples to turnips, dude.    A first round QB on his rookie contract always has more "trade value" than any veteran backup QB because a veteran backup is what he is, and there's no GM who thinks he might develop into something better in the right situation.  There are always people, even in NFL FOs, who believe that maybe that first round bust was "mishandled" or "needs a change of scenery" or who decide to just take a flyer because the price is so low compared to what he cost his original team in draft capital.   Wilson in particular has value to Denver because with the Jests picking up half his salary, he's cheaper than any veteran backup QB they could sign off the street, and given the Broncos' current QB and cap situation, they might get a QB better than anybody else on their roster at a price they can afford.

35 minutes ago, SoTier said:

Apples to turnips, dude.    A first round QB on his rookie contract

Trubisky was a 1st round pick on his rookie contract too. There were no takers. 

But forget that for a moment - even when they released him, and it cost NOTHING in trade value to sign him, teams still had little interest. He signed a 1 year $2M deal.

No turnips here.

with the Jests picking up half his salary, he's cheaper than any veteran backup QB they could sign off the street

Even with the Jets picking up half his salary, they are STILL paying him more than we are for Trubisky (2.75 vs 2.5).

Edited by Einstein

7 hours ago, Einstein said:

Trubisky was a 1st round pick on his rookie contract too. There were no takers. 

But forget that for a moment - even when they released him, and it cost NOTHING in trade value to sign him, teams still had little interest. He signed a 1 year $2M deal.

No turnips here.

Even with the Jets picking up half his salary, they are STILL paying him more than we are for Trubisky (2.75 vs 2.5).

It took Chicago four years to decide that they didn't want Trubisky.  When they didn't pick up Trubisky's fifth year option, he became a free agent at the end of his fourth season.   Trubisky had "no value" because no team was going to give up anything for a guy they could get for nothing.   It happens all the time.   The Jests decided they didn't want Wilson after his third season, and the Broncos get him for half-price for a season to see if he's worth anything at all.