Bass is no longer Bass-o-matic

Toyo321

I believe Bass is going to have a really bad year this year.  He is not a given anymore, at all,  I don't trust him either when or if we need a crucial kick.  That missed kick against KC really rubbed me the wrong way.  Bass is at best a 50/50 kicker at 50 yards.  Butker was house money at 50 yards and more and he out kicked Bass in our own stadium.  

I just don't think Bass can be counted on this year in a close game to tie it or win it outright. He has developed a weird motion on all his kicks where it travels 20 to 30 yards and had an immediate fade to the right.  I don't know if he can fix this and it is somehow related to how he is striking the ball.

Just not optimistic about him at all this year.

Edited by Toyo321
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Sad 1
  • Disagree 7
  • Agree 8

1 minute ago, GASabresIUFan said:

I think Bass' issues may stem from Martin as a holder.  I think it's one of the reason they brought Haack back.

Was there ever a hold that looked bad? Nope. People are turning holding into some mythical artform. Any idiot can do it. We'll anyone but Romo. 

Bass was awful last year but he already signed an extension. He's not going anywhere. Only hope is he gets better.

2 minutes ago, FireChans said:

He was doomed to suck after being called "Bass-o-matic."

Just an absolutely pitiful nickname. Deplorable.

Basstastic?

All about that Bass?

Mr BoomBasstic?

All about that Bass?

Bass Pro Kicker

JBL Bass

Bass In My Pocket 

Bump, Bass, Hit?

• Haha (+1) 6

• Toyo321 changed the title to Bass is no longer Bass-o-matic

Bass O Matic was a great nickname- and one of the greatest skits in SNL history. I do, however share some of the OPs concern with Bass. Perhaps a holder change will help, but they need to have another plan in case he’s “ lost it “. 

• Like (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Bass O Matic was a great nickname- and one of the greatest skits in SNL history. I do, however share some of the OPs concern with Bass. Perhaps a holder change will help, but they need to have another plan in case he’s “ lost it “. 

There is zero chance a holder change will help lol

The holds were fine ... It's not that hard of a skill to learn 

Pat McAfee never held in college and got it down in the pros

It's just repetitions

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Was there ever a hold that looked bad? Nope. People are turning holding into some mythical artform. Any idiot can do it. We'll anyone but Romo. 

Bass was awful last year but he already signed an extension. He's not going anywhere. Only hope is he gets better.

You sure about that?

• Haha (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, T&C said:

You sure about that?

Basically any idiot who played high level football.. if you can get to the NFL.. you can physically hold

It's not that hard of a skill...

Punters hold for kickers because specialties spend the most time together during practice... They have hours to get the repetition down

Quarterbacks used to hold but due to the collective bargaining agreement... Practicing is very restricted... And quarterbacks need the majority of time practicing the playbook

So they went to punters... And as long as they can catch the snap.. getting it down is not an issue

It is basically a repetition thing.. not that hard of a skill for any football player

The only people with the time for the repetition is punters tho 

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Romo and Bojorquez.....

• Like (+1) 2

The Bass-o-matic thing was never correct. Bass was never an elite kicker. He was an above average NFL kicker who was good enough for the Bills until last season.  Bills opponent kickers have had a higher percentage every year since he has been with the Bills so it is not just weather conditions.  Hopefully, it was a nagging injury and he will return to his above average form which is all the Bills need.

4 hours ago, Toyo321 said:

I believe Bass is going to have a really bad year this year.  He is not a lock at all when a crucial kick is needed and I don't trust him either.  That missed kick against KC really rubbed me the wrong way.  Bass is at best a 50/50 kicker at 50 yards.  Butker was house money at 50 yards and more and he out kicked Bass in our own stadium.  

I just don't think Bass can be counted on this year when it will need to matter.  He has developed a weird motion on all his kicks where it travels 20 to 30 yards and had an immediate fade to the right.  I don't know if he can fix this and it is somehow related to how he is striking the ball.

Just not optimistic about him at all this year.

Saying his success "is somehow related to how he is striking the ball" is like saying a QB's accuracy is somehow related to how he is throwing the ball.  It's a lot words to say nothing.

• Disagree 1
  • Dislike 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Romo and Bojorquez.....

Holding skill is Completely overrated

I went back and looked at every single bojorquez hold over years and he did not have over eight bad holds

Including extra points and place kicks... His new kicker has called him the best holder he ever had

It's a very overrated skill... There has never been a player who has been cut because of his holding abilities... Even Romo is only famous for one botched snap

Because any athlete worth his salt will get it with repetition

Corey B calling his own fake field goal.. and shanking 17 yard punts was way more of the reason he wasn't re signed... Same as LA... He can bomb it 60 yards

Then Shank an 18 yarder

Inconsistency is why he doesn't find long-term homes... Not holding ability 

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

52 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Holding skill is Completely overrated

I went back and looked at every single bojorquez hold over years and he did not have over eight bad holds

Including extra points and place kicks... His new kicker has called him the best holder he ever had

It's a very overrated skill... There has never been a player who has been cut because of his holding abilities... Even Romo is only famous for one botched snap

Because any athlete worth his salt will get it with repetition

Corey B calling his own fake field goal.. and shanking 17 yard punts was way more of the reason he wasn't re signed... Same as LA... He can bomb it 60 yards

Then Shank an 18 yarder

Inconsistency is why he doesn't find long-term homes... Not holding ability 

Well all I know is there were at LEAST 3 his last year here and at least 3 when he was holding for Crosby in Green Bay. 

I agree it is an overrated skill and should be easy to learn. But Bojo sure managed to make it look hard.

Just now, GunnerBill said:

Well all I know is there were at LEAST 3 his last year here and at least 3 when he was holding for Crosby in Green Bay. 

I agree it is an overrated skill and should be easy to learn. But Bojo sure managed to make it look hard.

He called his own fake field goal

What do you expect from that guy! He's insane

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Hopkins made 33 of 36 kicks and 8 of 8 with Bojo holding for him in 2023.

Maybe he has finally mastered in year 8 or whatever.... but he has been significantly worse than the median at what is a pretty straightforward skill.

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, GASabresIUFan said:

I think Bass' issues may stem from Martin as a holder.  I think it's one of the reason they brought Haack back.

Yips have nothing to do with Bass imo

8 hours ago, GASabresIUFan said:

Martin has been considered a good holder so.....

7 hours ago, TheBrownBear said:

I believe Bass will bounce back this year. I suspect he had some sort of lingering injury that was affecting him.

Was he on the injury report at all last year?

Bass has what should be a very fixable problem. It’s not inconsistency or lack of power. He has developed a very predictable SLICE in his kicks. I cannot imagine that the kicking coach can’t fix that. If he can’t, they need a new coach AND a new kicker.