Beane Press Conference 4pm

Process

6 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

I don't pay attention 24/7 during the off season gossip so I have no idea what was or not said yesterday

Twitter: Is Stefon Diggs the reason for Josh Allen's success?

Random person replies: Diggs is great, but he is not the only reason for Allen's success.

Diggs replies: You sure about that?

If that is the type of stuff he will say in public, I cant imagine how he acts behind closed doors. You dont throw your QB under the bus like that.

• Like (+1) 9
  • Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 4

3 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Random person replies: Diggs is great, but he is not the only reason for Allen's success.

If that is the type of stuff he will say in public, I cant imagine how he acts behind closed doors. You dont throw your QB under the bus like that.

dude thinks he needs to respond to some couch potato says it all …

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Maybe he was questioning the part about Diggs being great?

• Haha (+1) 7

Not really sure what this is all about.  To me he sounded defeated.

I still don't understand his contract extension - he was under contract and there was no reason to redo it to the extent that they did.  

My guess is that he either 1) turned into a cancer, or 2) his talent dropped off so much that they moved him to avoid longer term consequences.

The timing of this is the strange part.  It could have been done sooner to get a shot at a Keenan Allen or Mike Williams.  

Something really strange happened very quickly.  Odd

• Eyeroll 1

6 minutes ago, Einstein said:

The term was essential to Allen’s success. I think it’s fair to say he’s essential to Allen, and Allen was essential to him. 

Diggs is a weird dude, who would say eyebrow raising things without ever really crossing the line. 

Ms Kromer and Josh Norman’s comments are much more revealing IMO

42 minutes ago, NickelCity said:

I'm pretty happy with a 2nd tbh

I think we fleeced Houston for a second.  Diggs was terrible at the end of last season.  Has no juice left.  Couple that w his persona and we came out real nice.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Woah missed that.  That's def dbag move 

2 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

The term was essential to Allen’s success. I think it’s fair to say he’s essential to Allen, and Allen was essential to him. 

Diggs is a weird dude, who would say eyebrow raising things without ever really crossing the line. 

Ms Kromer and Josh Norman’s comments are much more revealing IMO

What was Norman's comment? 

• Like (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

65 mil when Tre White hits the books after June 1st. 

A catastrophic amount of dead cap largely from the decision to give Diggs a monster extension and then trade him. 

Tre Whites $10 mill comes off the books on June 1st. 

• Like (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

I'm not going to start retroactively hating diggs and saying he's not great lol

If you're actually forcefully shopping somebody you're never getting your actual return that you deserve

This hasn't nothing about if people view him as a number one or not if you're getting rid of him

Randy Moss went for a fourth not because that's what the league viewed his talent as

Diggs was easily still one of the best wide receivers in the AFC combined with his connection with Josh made him even better

He's one of the best receivers in the last 30 years to put on a bills uniform you guys are crazy if you're going to crap on him on the way out

When he never said anything bad about Buffalo or the bills while here

The ugly side of the business I guess

21 minutes ago, Einstein said:

You paraphrased the living hell out of the real tweet. 

Just now, TheWeatherMan said:

You paraphrased the living hell out of the real tweet. 

I'm not sure if you're saying I did a good job or a bad job haha. If it's the latter, please feel free to correct me. I did my best to give a summary.

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Dude, it got bad between Steph and the Bills!  

I have been pointing out for a while around here that Diggs doesn't want to be in Buffalo.

1 hour ago, Process said:

Nothing significant really from Beane, but I do think he has a plan and is going to replace stef in a big way. Should be an interesting couple of months. 

It's probably more likely to involve moving way up to draft a DT.

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, davspo said:

I still don't understand his contract extension - he was under contract and there was no reason to redo it to the extent that they did.  

My guess is that he either 1) turned into a cancer, or 2) his talent dropped off so much that they moved him to avoid longer term consequences.

The timing of this is the strange part.  It could have been done sooner to get a shot at a Keenan Allen or Mike Williams.  

Maybe Beane just wants one of the WRs in the draft that is younger, faster and will be cheaper over the next 4-5 years, versus one of these older vets.  Getting the extra trade chip gives him more ability to make a move to get a 1st or 2nd round target this year.  He’s mentioned before that’s how they were able to land a guy like Josh.  

• Like (+1) 3

12 minutes ago, Irv said:

Chiefs did just fine without Hill.  Trust the process.  

Chiefs also have a top notch head coach that isn't afraid of outside the box thinking, and isn't constantly getting in his own way

• Thank you (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, davspo said:

The Bills wouldn't have been able to fit those guys under the cap irrespective of the trade. The trade actually results in less cap space this season so trading him sooner wouldn't have helped anyway, even if we had the room to pay Allen or Williams. 

15 minutes ago, Irv said:

Chiefs did just fine without Hill.  Trust the process.  

Chiefs also had Kelce at his peak. The Bills have a lot of promise in offense but the majority could still be going through growing pains this year. Highly unlikely, but I’d love them to bring someone like Metcalf in.

36 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I would've preferred a 2nd this year but considering his age, cap hit and production drop off, this was good value trade. 

The Vikings 2nd is important too. They might be the worst team in football this year if Darnold is their guy.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, davspo said:

I think this offer has been on the table for a while. It’s not great, and Beane may have been waiting for something better. 

Once Diggs started throwing Allen under the bus on Twitter, the FO might have just said “f*** it, just take the deal from HOU”. 

• Agree 2

Yeah, I firmly believe the “you sure?” tweet from yesterday was the last straw. It’s arguably the most incendiary remark he’s made and the very next day he’s dealt. He’s Houston’s problem now.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3

59 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Beane again very clearly stated that if at 28 the first round graded WR's on their board are gone, they will take another position and take talent over reaching and look at the 2nd to potentially add a WR.  

Ooof. I mean it's the right thing to do.

I'm all for a trade up but I think we need to face that the Bills leverage is not great.

If the boathouse is stripped bare, we shouldn't go and get the 10th best receiver when the team can go back to the 33-38th range and get the 12th best receiver the youth movement can begin 

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

Ooof. I mean it's the right thing to do.

I'm all for a trade up but I think we need to face that the Bills leverage is not great.

If the boathouse is stripped bare, we shouldn't go and get the 10th best receiver when the team can go back to the 33-38th range and get the 12th best receiver the youth movement can begin 

There are probably 8 or 9 WRs this year that would be ahead of many WRs in the first half of the first round many years.

It's a very deep, very good class. I'd take WR at 1 and 2.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Roundybout said:

It’s very telling about our offense that Diggs wanted out. Feels like we were going to get a 1st round receiver and he didn’t like losing his target share

I wonder if was more simply that Diggs didn't like Allen getting all the attention and being the face of the franchise.   He felt he should be  getting more credit.  Add to that less targets. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Disagree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Brand J said:

Yeah, I firmly believe the “you sure?” tweet from yesterday was the last straw. It’s arguably the most incendiary remark he’s made and the very next day he’s dealt. He’s Houston’s problem now.

Shirley you can’t be serious.

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Beane again very clearly stated that if at 28 the first round graded WR's on their board are gone, they will take another position and take talent over reaching and look at the 2nd to potentially add a WR.  

Do you actually believe that?  

NYG have a shortage of picks and a lot of needs. They also have pick #6 and Schoen and Beene are close. I think #28, a 4th and 5th this year and our 1st next year gets it done. That still leaves us with 8 picks this year And we get one of the top 3. Maybe our choice of 2 of the 3.

for all we know, Beane and Schoen might have a deal agreed upon but it won’t be announced until the NYG are on the clock. Here’s why:  If the league thinks NYG might make the pick, they’ll think NYG might be picking a QB. If this gets a team jumping NYG to get that QB, it benefits Buffalo. If QBs go 1,2,3,4 and Alt 5; we have a choice of all 3

2 hours ago, Nephilim17 said:

I don't think that's accurate by a long shot. Or, if it is, you have to look at NET difference which is we take on an extra 3 million but clear like 27 million next year.

So far Beane's two biggest moves money wise in free-agency have both proven to be major long-term issues.  Both would have been unnecessary if he and his staff could draft a decent WR and edge-rusher.  

2 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

if so not for long, sadly for Diggs he has become injury prone over the last couple of seasons, and disappears in the post season, that’s not what one wants as a “ 1b” receiver,  he will be a slot type of guy for one or two seasons then get likely gets waived/cut. Age is a SOB when you’re a pro athlete. 

Which of our players besides Allen has even approached stepping up consistently come playoff time?  

Edited by PBF81
  • Like (+1) 2

40 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

The Vikings 2nd is important too. They might be the worst team in football this year if Darnold is their guy.

No team with Justin Jefferson is the worst in football, I think that will still be Carolina until proven otherwise

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

I don't, and if he means that, it is irresponsible. WR, maybe in the first two rounds.

And there will be WRs worth #28 on the board.

That absolute worst mistake is to reach.  Disagree.  If there isn't a guy Beane thinks is a first round player there he shouldn't force the issue.

• Agree 1

17 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

I wonder if was more simply that Diggs didn't like Allen getting all the attention and being the face of the franchise.   He felt he should be  getting more credit.  Add to that less targets. 

That’s been the problem all along. Diggs is a me first guy. He’s been jealous of Allen getting the majority of the attention and credit. Meanwhile, Allen has been staying positive & professional & covering for Diggs crappy attitude for the last couple seasons.   Diggs has & will stab Allen in the back.  

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

That absolute worst mistake is to reach.  Disagree.  If there isn't a guy Beane thinks is a first round player there he shouldn't force the issue.

Yeah, I'm disagreeing with the notion that you'd have to reach. You can disagree on this, too.

If he passes on WR at #28, it better be because he is trading back into the early second to take a WR.

Legette, Mitchell, McConkey, those three at least ought to be targets. I'd try and grab one of the first two and McConkey.

Edited by Dr. Who

11 minutes ago, Turbo44 said:

NYG have a shortage of picks and a lot of needs. They also have pick #6 and Schoen and Beene are close. I think #28, a 4th and 5th this year and our 1st next year gets it done. That still leaves us with 8 picks this year And we get one of the top 3. Maybe our choice of 2 of the 3.

for all we know, Beane and Schoen might have a deal agreed upon but it won’t be announced until the NYG are on the clock. Here’s why:  If the league thinks NYG might make the pick, they’ll think NYG might be picking a QB. If this gets a team jumping NYG to get that QB, it benefits Buffalo. If QBs go 1,2,3,4 and Alt 5; we have a choice of all 3

Whilst I see the logic, surely they’re not thinking Jones is the answer at QB?

1 minute ago, Dr. Who said:

Yeah, I'm disagreeing with the notion that you'd have to reach. You can disagree on this, too.

If he passes on WR at #28, it better be because he is trading back into the early second to take a WR.

Legette, Mitchell, McConkey, those three at least ought to be targets. I'd try and grab one of the first two and McConkey.

Dont get me wrong, I am all for a WR.  But here is the reality...after you get past MHJ, Nabers, Odunze, and Thomas...the next 7 are all lumped together and everyone has a different opinion of the pecking order from 5-11...and that is most often made up of:  Mitchell, Coleman, Legette, McConkey, Pearsall, Franklin, and Worthy.  Then there are guys outside of them that many people have listed inside the top 10 still.  

Point is, it is what Beane and the Bills scouting staff have as draft grades.  How many of the guys outside the big 4 does he have a first round grade on?  As fans, sure there are guys we would take, but most those same fans are looking at it from WR or nothing mindset.  

For example, Legette is talked about by some as the 4th or 5th best WR prospect...most have him between 8 and 10...and still some more have him in the teens.  He is a guy that could sneak into the 1st round and a guy that could fall to us in the 2nd.  If Beane sees him as a mid 2nd guy, he isn't taking him at 28 and literally said so today, same he has always said as well.  

Another example, I really like McConkey and I think he could be one of the best WR's to come out of this draft 5 years from now.  BUT...do the Bills see him as a first rounder?  Is he the style of WR they are targeting?  Lots of question marks when it comes down to what WR's Beane will have on his board he is grading high enough to take 28.

So...don't get me wrong, I am all in on getting a WR, even on board trading up to get one.  Just saying, if Beane can get a higher graded player at 28 then still land one of Mitchell, McConkey, Legette, Coleman, Franklin, Worthy, Pearsall, etc in the 2nd then that would be a great move still too.  

18 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Don't cut off your nose to spite your face.  He could just as easily also say the value didn't match the need in the 2nd, and so on until all top prospects are gone.  He absolutely needs to target a position in this draft.  

Just now, HurlyBurly51 said:

Don't cut off your nose to spite your face.  He could just as easily also say the value didn't match the need in the 2nd, and so on until all top prospects are gone.  He absolutely needs to target a position in this draft.  

He is going to go after a WR early...and he has always been aggressive to get what he wants and needs.  That does not mean it will be at 28.  Would not surprise me to see us trade back and try and add another 3rd and then double dip on WR's with one off the small trade back and use one of the 3rds on another promising prospect.  

• Like (+1) 1