Diggs traded to Texans for picks

2 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

an extra 3.2 million now that gets him completely off the books..... 

Correct, and in my view it happened for a reason.  I don't care about tweets or twits or whatever (I haven't been on social media for ages), but that move was clear in its implications.

11 minutes ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

If Diggs was a distraction will removing it allow Josh to take complete command of the huddle?

Which is something that made me wonder about Houston with Diggs.  How will his perceived antics play with a 2nd year QB?  Are they taking on some risk?

CJ Stroud seems like he's taking the job of being an NFL QB seriously. Maybe when the media fawns over him, he'll become a "celebrity QB", like Josh. I really hope Josh comes in as a mature QB this year. We need that more than a top wr. Mahomes proved that last year. 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

Salary dump for a player in the latter part of his prime. Better to bail too early than too late. This draft is wr rich. If we are a consistent 10+ win team the draft pick we get is important in keeping us competitive.

That said Stefon has a lot of good football left. I don't like the fact that he's still in our conference. Some combination of Josh, Beane and Clappy thought this was the right move. I'm at peace with it. 

• Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Also might be a hot take but Diggs is not the best WR on Houston

That begs the question, can they produce 2x 1000 yard WR's? He won't be happy with anything less, that's for sure.

1 minute ago, Dopey said:

CJ Stroud seems like he's taking the job of being an NFL QB seriously. Maybe when the media fawns over him, he'll become a "celebrity QB", like Josh. I really hope Josh comes in as a mature QB this year. We need that more than a top wr. Mahomes proved that last year. 

Your anti-Allen dribble is quickly becoming tiring.  How many times are you going to post the same thought over and over and over?  Anyone want to start a poll on banning this troll?

• Like (+1) 6

7 minutes ago, Dr. K said:

I don't know exactly what "The Process" is, but it can't possibly be to hold onto players when they are in decline or when they are a drag on the locker room. Any process to keep a team competitive must include getting rid of players when it's time to move on. 

I guess you're right.  I just begin to understand we'll not go for it with our franchise QB and i'm afraid it's will be the end of his prime at the end of this new process.

But, i undestand the point and i can deal with the fact that we try to be competitive. I could say we try to be competitive --only--, but it's not nothing after those 17 years.

19 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

What’s missing in so many of these posts is the REAL message this is sending to the locker room and front office is that is that this is now Josh Allen’s team to win or lose.  No more second fiddle or even Batman and Robin thing. It’s time for Josh to assume the full leadership role. (It happens in all organizations at some time.) 

And this is why you just say "No" to adding an over the hill M Thomas or OBJ.  Josh's team, bring in some youngster WRs.

• Agree 4

15 minutes ago, Dopey said:

He's only the guy who helped Josh elevate his game to the next level. There's a reason we gave up the haul we did for Diggs. Diggs was all in and it looked like a match made in heaven. Then, one of the two got a big head and let the media keep letting it get bigger, cheated on his live-in girlfriend with a bartender and got her pregnant  (😂). THEN started dating a celebrity. The Po-Po showing up at his house the week of the Cincy game cuz the ex caused a scene. Not to mention the parties at Josh's house the night before home games. During the week of the Cincy playoff loss, Josh's head wasn't in the right place to lead any team to beat Cincy, much less winning a SB. Before you all start, Josh himself said the issue wasn't football related when it first came up. He said he would come back in '24 as a more mature person/player. With Diggs being older now, maybe he didn't want to waste his time with what he sees as an immature QB, who can't get past dating celebrities, much less beating the other top QB's in the AFC. I will say, we haven't heard much from Josh this off-season. Maybe he is maturing 🤞.

The stats below for Josh clearly show he was the biggest beneficiary from the arrival of Diggs. 

🙄

Sure Diggs helped Allen elevate his game in 2020.  Allen more then returned the favor by elevating Diggs stats big time for four consecutive years.

But if you and others believe what you post then you must have wanted the Bills to trade Allen and keep Diggs?  Why don't you just come out and say it?

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Dopey said:

But Mahomes is a celebrity QB.  And he was a cry baby last season too.  You seem to hold Josh to some fantasy high standards and then judge him harshly.  

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Totally unfair.

We still don't know what caused that freefall. Was it that with the playbook from an old OC and the playcalling of a new OC they couldn't find a good way to use him? Nobody can say for sure, but that is very likely a large part of the problem, if not most of it.

You can pretend that it was all on Diggs. But there's no reason to think that's right. Could easily have been on others to a large extent. Now we'll never know. Pretending we do know, and putting it all on Diggs, is just sour grapes.

And it's a stone fact that he was drawing the vast bulk of the coverage and making things much easier for the other WRs.

Certain kinds of WRs tend to start going downhill early. Diggs' type, the exceptional route-runners not dependent of top end speed, tend to last longer. Every reason to think he'll still be very very productive for several more years. Unfortunately.

We are going to pay him in the high $20M range to watch him on TV catching passes in Texas. This was a horrendous time to let him go.

But it doesn't seem like we had any better choices, with how relations with him were proceeding.

I don't think you understand that figure of speech..

anyway--it certainly was not the new OC that put a fork in Diggs--the player was taking himself out when he was displeased (with Josh Allen of all people!!).  What other, "to a large extent" are responsible for his decline?  They should be easy for you to name since you seem convinced. 

the bulk of coverage?  both in week 14 and the playoffs v. KC, he whined about them doubling as an excuse for his crappy performance.  yet after each game, the Chiefs D were quick to comment that they weren't even doubling him up.

give us your "stone facts"

3 minutes ago, stuvian said:

Salary dump for a player in the latter part of his prime. Better to bail too early than too late. This draft is wr rich. If we are a consistent 10+ win team the draft pick we get is important in keeping us competitive.

That said Stefon has a lot of good football left. I don't like the fact that he's still in our conference. Some combination of Josh, Beane and Clappy thought this was the right move. I'm at peace with it. 

Patriots did this all the time and were called revolutionary for it.  Bills do it and the pitchforks come out

Edited by CaptnCoke11
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just wait folks. You’re going to hear some stuff come out about Stef…for all of the throwing the ball with the kids prior to a game there was another side behind the curtain that Bills leadership and players dealt with to appease him. Paying a sum total of $30m to let him go to another team is glaring. I heard some of the antics were eerily similar to ABs time in Pitt. Small market media, good HC and QB kept things under wraps and defended him. Sound familiar? The gag order is gone, media can take the high road or let their side leak. Should be a fun few weeks. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 4

4 minutes ago, Dopey said:

He is a celebrity QB?  Cause he chose an accomplished intelligent woman as a partner and not his psycho high school sweetheart? 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

42 minutes ago, HalftimeAdjustment said:

2024 is now officially a rebuild year.

Rebuild? No. Reload? Yes.  

Anyone who did not expect this kind of roster shake up, do not fully understand what it is like having a high contract QB in the salary cap era.  These kind of moves are what it takes to stay competitive.  The Chiefs did it with Hill, the Chargers had to move on from Keenan Allen and Mike Williams, the Bengals will have to do it eventually with Higgins etc... I am glad Beane is making the moves now, rather than waiting until it is too late.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, sleeby said:

But Mahomes is a celebrity QB.  And he was a cry baby last season too.  You seem to hold Josh to some fantasy high standards and then judge him harshly.  

Bingo.  Does this Doopey troll own a TV and watch football?  You can't go 5 minutes before seeing a Mahome commercial.  The weirdest anti-Allen take on 2BD and there are a couple of doozy's, is the one where Allen party's all off season while Mahomes earnestly study's to be a better QB. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

I am fine with the trade. Diggs play dropped off at the end of last year. Last 100 yard game was what week 6. 

I am fine doing the complete cap reset and retool ala Chiefs it was gonna happen. Would have liked for the trophy but the core now broken up wasn’t good enough to get it done. 

I am ok moving on from a WR in a draft that has a lot of WRs. And Minny second should be what projects to be a High Second. And cap is reset. 

might hurt the offense initially but I still see the AFCE as ours to lose at this point. 

I'm fine with it also. If you look at Diggs's play at the end of the last two seasons he really fell on his face in the playoffs. 

Against the Chiefs in last year's playoff game, Diggs 7 targets, and 3 receptions for 21 yards. I mean wow, is that from a #1 WR? Against the Steelers the week before in the WC game, Digg's 9 targets, 7 receptions for 52 yards. Again, this wasn't against McDuffie and Sneed. 

Against Cincy in the 2022 playoff game in Buffalo, 10 targets for 4 receptions for 35 yards. Even against the Chiefs in 2022, 6 targets, 3 receptions for 7 yards. 

I have no idea what the problem with Diggs was the last two years, injury, age, or Diggs just being a Diggs. Something happened with the guy and I'm fine with Buffalo getting a 2025 #2 pick from Houston and moving on.

Buffalo needs a #1 WR who will step up in the playoffs.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Logic said:

I didn't have Dave Portnoy being the biggest Josh Allen defender on the timeline today on my Bingo card, but here we are.

The man has been traumatized by him, probably sees that perfect game in his nightmares.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

You might think so but as most attest it’s very hard for the new leader to truly take charge when the old leader (or co-leader) keeps hanging around stealing the oxygen from the building. That is now officially over. 

"as most attest"?

Jeez, I should be in bed. What is wrong with me.

Josh has been the leader from about halfway through his first season. He's been one of the five or six best players in the league for three or four years. There has always been plenty of oxygen for him. Beane has made it very clear for years now that he asks Josh's opinions on major moves.

Might he have had to walk on eggshells - as I saw someone else say above - a bit around Diggs? Yeah, maybe. But this has been Josh's team - he's been the unquestioned leader - for a very long time.

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Dopey said:

He's only the guy who helped Josh elevate his game to the next level. There's a reason we gave up the haul we did for Diggs. Diggs was all in and it looked like a match made in heaven. Then, one of the two got a big head and let the media keep letting it get bigger, cheated on his live-in girlfriend with a bartender and got her pregnant  (😂). THEN started dating a celebrity. The Po-Po showing up at his house the week of the Cincy game cuz the ex caused a scene. Not to mention the parties at Josh's house the night before home games. During the week of the Cincy playoff loss, Josh's head wasn't in the right place to lead any team to beat Cincy, much less winning a SB. Before you all start, Josh himself said the issue wasn't football related when it first came up. He said he would come back in '24 as a more mature person/player. With Diggs being older now, maybe he didn't want to waste his time with what he sees as an immature QB, who can't get past dating celebrities, much less beating the other top QB's in the AFC. I will say, we haven't heard much from Josh this off-season. Maybe he is maturing 🤞.

The stats below for Josh clearly show he was the biggest beneficiary from the arrival of Diggs. 

image.thumb.png.493f68d586f1adb02e208cc86c35ffdf.png

That's who Stefon Diggs is 🙄

We've all heard the stories, but, ya got proof on this bull####, or do you just enjoy using the internet? 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

Rebuild? No. Reload? Yes.  

Anyone who did not expect this kind of roster shake up, do not fully understand what it is like having a high contract QB in the salary cap era.  These kind of moves are what it takes to stay competitive.  The Chiefs did it with Hill, the Chargers had to move on from Keenan Allen and Mike Williams, the Bengals will have to do it eventually with Higgins etc... I am glad Beane is making the moves now, rather than waiting until it is too late.

Plus it's way too early to determine how this trade effects the upcoming season. We have to see what Beane has up his sleeves to procure a #1 wr that effectively replaces Diggs. 

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Success said:

Man, just checking the internet - the sentiment among opposing fans seems to be that Diggs absolutely made JA what he is, and now he'll regress & basically go back to being an average QB without Diggs.

That's really just dumb.  

I don’t think Diggs made Allen but he did helped in Allen’s development. Now that Allen is at a more mature stage of his career it’s a good time to move on. They both seemingly don’t want to coexist anymore. 

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, sleeby said:

Are you saying that Tom Brady did not play golf in the off seasons?  Or was he also not a leader?

Let's get something straight...JOSH IS NO TOM BRADY! Hell, HE'S NOT MAHOMES either. The lengths some homers go to. 😂. He's bordering on NOT BEING BURROW either. I am happy for Diggs. He wanted out and got his wish. Hopefully we have a real leader in Josh. 🙏

• Haha (+1) 3

8 minutes ago, babulator said:

That begs the question, can they produce 2x 1000 yard WR's? He won't be happy with anything less, that's for sure.

There is an argument that Nico and Tank Dell are both better than him at this stage.  It will be interesting to watch what happens with him down there. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

Not sure why they did not wait until after June 1st,  cap savings much higher and they could have signed another WR to help.  I don't want to hear excuses if the season goes bad.  Someone needs to be fired, no more built in excuses. 

• Eyeroll 1

17 minutes ago, Bob in STL said:

How?   She didn’t lose her job despite her screw up by saying that on a hot mike.  

she did not say that on hot mic.

she said that in confidence to a reporter who picked it up on his open mic and the news channel let it be aired. it was a bushleague move by the reporter and his station.

she did not know his mic was open, she did not know he would let it be aired and rebroadcast. she was 100% unaware and set up.

Edited by boyst
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Dopey said:

Let's get something straight...JOSH IS NO TOM BRADY! Hell, HE'S NOT MAHOMES either. The lengths some homers go to. 😂. He's bordering on NOT BEING BURROW either. I am happy for Diggs. He wanted out and got his wish. Hopefully we have a real leader in Josh. 🙏

That Dopey personification (or it just must be your trueself) is really shining bright today lol

Edited by CaliBills
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

"as most attest"?

Jeez, I should be in bed. What is wrong with me.

Josh has been the leader from about halfway through his first season. He's been one of the five or six best players in the league for three or four years. There has always been plenty of oxygen for him. Beane has made it very clear for years now that he asks Josh's opinions on major moves.

Might he have had to walk on eggshells - as I saw someone else say above - a bit around Diggs? Yeah, maybe. But this has been Josh's team - he's been the unquestioned leader - for a very long time.

Because YOU say so? Having been in his exact same position at one time in my career I can tell you that’s it’s really hard to assume that role if many of your teammates keep looking over to the other guy for even subtle signs of agreement. But…I think we both can agree that there’s no doubt left now. 

Edited by SoCal Deek

20 minutes ago, nedboy7 said:

The Bills will carry a dead money charge of $31.096 million next season after trading Diggs, according to Roster Management System. That will be the highest-known dead money charge ever for a wide receiver in any season, according to ESPN Stats & Information research.

I hope you are right. 

We may be getting caught up up in grammar. I mean next year as in 2025 because the current league year already started. 

$31M is the dead cap for 2024. Which is only a ~$3M increase from having him on the roster. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, The Firebaugh Kid said:

We've all heard the stories, but, ya got proof on this bull####, or do you just enjoy using the internet? 

Denial is a funny thing, especially when Josh has NOT denied any of this. And I'm sure he's heard the stories. Show me proof he denied any of this. Any proof. I know you like using the internet. Use it to show his denial. Otherwise, that's the story and I'm sticking to it.

• Haha (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Niagara Dude said:

Not sure why they did not wait until after June 1st,  cap savings much higher and they could have signed another WR to help.  I don't want to hear excuses if the season goes bad.  Someone needs to be fired, no more built in excuses. 

Because Houston most likely doesn't make the trade post June 1st.

21 minutes ago, nedboy7 said:

Not sure step backs guarantee eventual progress. How about they grow up and work.  Do you like everyone you work with?  

I mean they were successful for a while. Sometimes it’s best to part ways.

And no. I hate everybody I work with. lol 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Niagara Dude said:

Probably because they needed that draft pick before the draft so that they can trade it to move up. That's the only way that this makes sense.

• Like (+1) 4

Just now, Mango said:

We may be getting caught up up in grammar. I mean next year as in 2025 because the current league year already started. 

$31M is the dead cap for 2024. Which is only a ~$3M increase from having him on the roster. 

RealizIng this is correct. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

There’s a saying in the NFL, you’re only as good as your last game. Here’s Diggs’ stats in the last four playoff losses.

6 rec, 77 yards, 0 TD

3 rec, 7 yards, 0 TD

4 rec, 35 yards, 0 TD

3 rec, 21 yards, 0 TD

This isn’t a knock on Diggs, I definitely appreciate everything he did for the Bills and still think he’s one of the best WR’s in team history. But when it came to the playoffs, teams were able to take him out of the game with their coverages.

It’s obvious the Bills need an upgrade at the #1 WR position and McDermott/Beane said in the offseason what type of WR they’re looking for. I just hope the Bills add two good WR’s in the draft this year.  Bills have been needing a #2 WR as well now for a couple of years.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3