Diggs traded to Texans for picks

2 minutes ago, Evansfan322 said:

Going to struggle this year. Rookie WRs take time and Samuel isn’t a #1

Yes but Kincaid could really break out and it's a much friendlier passing league for receivers to come into. The rookie doesn't have to be "the man" right away.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, plenzmd1 said:

i agree with the first half of your statements...not sure about his character. 

Anybody who juggles two women by putting them up in the same hotel for Valentine's Day has suspect character.   He's a real, unapologetic self-indulgent lizard brain type.  To expect him to not let the leverage he has in his business relationship compromise his behavior is a leap of faith.   Not saying he's a criminal by any means,  just that he isn't trustworthy unless you have the leverage on him.      

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

I loved Diggs as a Bill and what he did for the team, however as many have mentioned, his play dropped off and it didn’t all seem because of Brady. He was dropping passes much more frequently, wasn’t making contested catches and seemed to not track the ball as well as he used to.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3

3 minutes ago, SoTier said:

Football players, particularly WRs, aren't like houses in good neighborhoods; they depreciate rather than appreciate.   Hill was about 3 years younger than Diggs.

A 31-year-old WR with a big contract isn't going to bring anything near as much as a 20-something WR with whom the new team can negotiate a new contract.

Thats the best they could do?  They had to be shopping him hard, seeing as how we are taking all the $ in dead money.  SMH  You know they are looking for best WR this year then.  Likely Beane will give away the farm to move up 4 slots.

• Haha (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, Steptide said:

Impossible until we see what happens in the future with all this 

This.  If he now uses that extra 2nd next year, or now feels like he can include our next years first given we have two 2nds now to go up and get someone like Odunze, Nabers, or even Thomas that will look a whole lot different than if we stay put at 28 and take another position then take a project WR like Legette in the 2nd.  

So I think until we see how this impacts this draft, its hard to grade.  On the surface, it looks like weak value based on the kind of cap ramifications that came with it.  But this could be a special draft for WR, and if gives Beane the room to go get one of the special prospects, then I think it significantly improves the grade.  

Diggs went the last 11 games without 100 yards after getting at least 100 yards 5 times in the first 6 games.

He also went the last 8 games with just one TD.

He was largely invisible the second half of the season and was not good in the playoffs.

He was our WR1, but was he really playing like one?

IMO, It would've been a mistake for Beane to not try to move him given his production vs the distraction he is to the team and at least get something for him while he still has value.

People need to calm down.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 2

Diggs was instrumental in our success over the last few years, but this move had to happen and i'm good with it. Too many short-sighted fans. He's definitely on the downside of his career, and is a massive distraction. By week 6 next year he will be screaming about his targets. 2024 might not have the success that we all want, but we are setup nicely to have a massive 2025. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

9 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

Yeah, I don't think I need to wait on this one to make a call.

While some of the Diggs criticism was legit, the man had four consecutive 1,000+ yard seasons. That's every year we has with us.

Was he on the downside of his career? Decent odds. But you cannot tell me that he didn't have some gas left in the tank and couldn't be used in 2024 and 2025.  

I was dumbfounded when I heard "a second round pick". I was floored when I found out it was for 2025 AND gave up a 5th and 6th this year. 

Beane gave up picks. To take on cap space. To see no benefit until 2025. And in doing so created a massive hole on the roster and make everyone and their mother know the Bills need a WR1 and strangling our leverage. If this move would be done, at least wait until draft day.

F. 

F-

That's pretty much where I am, though clearing the cap space and getting *something* raises my grade.

9 minutes ago, BigAl2526 said:

You always want better.  Not getting compensation in this year's draft is disappointing.  Still, Diggs is on the wrong side of 30, and that makes it tough.  Age might be the single biggest factor in driving trade value down.

Age and $19M a year with similar for the rest of his contract.

A lot of people are picking the Texans in the AFC already.

They didn't play much of a schedule last year.  Now, they'll have a 1st place schedule. And Stroud looked great, but we've seen other rookies look good or great and take a step back once DC's figure out strategies to slow them down.

Not saying that will happen, and Houston could for sure be a contender. But it wouldn't surprise me if they didn't take a big leap.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

18 minutes ago, bigduke6 said:

not surprised by the move.  a bit surprised there was a trade partner.  his salary is immense for the production he put out last season along with his age.   not going to pretend to know what was going on behind the scenes at OBD,  but,  Diggs was a pro,  a team captain,  took a pounding and always showed up,  until recently.  maybe he wanted out,  maybe he dogged it a bit to force his way out.   we do know that he wants to play with his brother,  so moving onto Texas at least gets him closer.  ty for your time here Stefon,  was exciting nearly every week.

to all those that see this as an incoming homerun swing into the top 5 to nab a receiver,   be careful,  receiver is the hardest spot to transition from college to the pros.  top guys flame out or take years to produce,  all the time.   sure theres been a handful of guys lately that were plug and play,  but thats not the norm.  short of  grabbing Harrison Jr,  i wouldnt even bother.  ideally what you want to do is exactly what Beane did those years ago with Diggs,  you want to find an established guy 1 or 2 years into showing consistency,  and trade for that.   the draft is a crap shoot.

He has the 13th cap hit this year now that he is traded. That isn't "immense".

In theory Houston has zero reason to keep Diggs if he does not perform and could move on from him for very very minimal cap implications. 

Buffalo eats his bonus and Houston is only on the hook for his salary. We will have to wait for the correct cap adjustments, but under normal circumstances base salary is not guaranteed.

We will have to wait for everything to be properly adjusted to confirm but more often than not this is standard practice. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, dpberr said:

With the information at hand, I graded an A.

The 2024 season is about arranging the team's contracts so that they can spend money on the teams that will be on the field in the new stadium.

Moving an expensive, long term contract for a 31 year old player, when presented with an opportunity to do so, is a component of that strategy.  

He is only 30.

The line from Moneyball keeps coming to mind when Justice is told how much the Yankees and Billy Boy thought of him. 

So here goes…Hey Stef.   The Buffalo Bills think so little of you that they are paying $31 million dollars of their cap space to play against you.   That’s how little they think of you.   

That’s something isn’t it.   

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, Buffalo_Stampede said:

2nd rounder next year can easily help trade for a WR this year.

A second this season would have helped more

That pick may end up being a high second also, so I would value it at that when negotiating a trade of that pick

It's probably a better idea to hold onto it otherwise

Just now, JohnnyBuffalo said:

The line from Moneyball keeps coming to mind when Justice is told how much the Yankees and Billy Boy thought of him. 

So here goes…Hey Stef.   The Buffalo Bills think so little of you that they are paying $31 million dollars of their cap space to play against you.   That’s how little they think of you.   

All due respect to Rocky..

It’s the greatest sports movie of all time.  

1 minute ago, MJS said:

Even so, the organization is in a less than ideal position. They are now paying a receiver 30 million to not be on the team. It might be the right move, but it is not what anyone wanted to happen. Ideally, Diggs would be on the team, happy, and contributing. But he's not.

Something I pointed out prior to this is that there are two ways to look at the cap impact. One is the immediate, where Diggs’ cap hit is about $4M higher this season if traded. The other is that the overall cap impact would be $19M higher to keep him in 2024. It hurts this season but opens up things next. 

Side note: The Bills aren’t paying Diggs anything this season. The cap hit is from money they already paid him. 

Just now, JohnnyBuffalo said:

I just tweeted this to Dan Fetes...not that anyone cares.

but the most on the nose thing here is this quote from the great Don Shula.

"We will tolerate you until we can replace you" 

The bills know they have multiple ways to do that now and it was time.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

Just now, BeastMaster said:

A second this season would have helped more

That pick may end up being a high second also, so I would value it at that when negotiating a trade of that pick

It's probably a better idea to hold onto it otherwise

I wouldn’t be against trading it or keeping it.

3 minutes ago, Low Positive said:

In this thread alone, the Bills RB has been named both Cooke and Cooks. It's almost as bad as Burrough/Burroughs/Burrows.

Still doesn't equal the poster who referred to 'Edmunds' as 'Edwards'.

4 minutes ago, Virgil said:

I sure hope not.  I don't want his injured Diva self here

Do you have any idea what you are talking about? Brandon Aiyuk? 

Edited by Beast

C. I will miss him, and he did disappear in the second half and playoffs. 

I think maybe he could have gotten something better, but the old guard wasn’t getting it done and I’m ok with the roster purge.  

• Agree 1