Diggs traded to Texans for picks

48 minutes ago, Sweats said:

I love it!!!!.......finally got rid of that dead weight boat anchor

I'm fine with the trade but that's pretty unfair to call him a boat anchor. He was one of our best WR's ever. But it was probably time. 

The real dead weight boat anchor is McDermott and we kept him. 

You always want better.  Not getting compensation in this year's draft is disappointing.  Still, Diggs is on the wrong side of 30, and that makes it tough.  Age might be the single biggest factor in driving trade value down.

7 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

I don’t hate the trade, and I think Beane did a brilliant job turning us into contenders. However, I’m starting to see Beane and McD display some of the traits that ended Beane’s tenure in Carolina. Beane is team building the same way he did in Carolina, and it didn’t end great. I worry he’s repeating the same mistakes. 

LOL

Ended his tenure? Neither were fired. Both were promoted to HC and GM roles in Buffalo. What are you talking about? 

I have been critical of a bunch of stuff from McBeane, but this isn't built on the foundation of any truth. 

(Also, look at the Sabres. Never ever move on from Brandon Beane. Brandon Beane for president of everything for eternity please)

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, bigduke6 said:

not surprised by the move.  a bit surprised there was a trade partner.  his salary is immense for the production he put out last season along with his age.   not going to pretend to know what was going on behind the scenes at OBD,  but,  Diggs was a pro,  a team captain,  took a pounding and always showed up,  until recently.  maybe he wanted out,  maybe he dogged it a bit to force his way out.   we do know that he wants to play with his brother,  so moving onto Texas at least gets him closer.  ty for your time here Stefon,  was exciting nearly every week.

to all those that see this as an incoming homerun swing into the top 5 to nab a receiver,   be careful,  receiver is the hardest spot to transition from college to the pros.  top guys flame out or take years to produce,  all the time.   sure theres been a handful of guys lately that were plug and play,  but thats not the norm.  short of  grabbing Harrison Jr,  i wouldnt even bother.  ideally what you want to do is exactly what Beane did those years ago with Diggs,  you want to find an established guy 1 or 2 years into showing consistency,  and trade for that.   the draft is a crap shoot.

Looking backwards to what diggs used to be makes it a bad trade, if you extrapolate diggs’ 2023 finish to this season it’s a good trade…his value would’ve tanked.  Nobody would’ve taken him on and we would’ve been tied up with a mentally checked out 30+ year old wr 

A lot of the review depends on how diggs plays this season and even if he has a bounce back year with Houston we’ll never know for sure if that would’ve happened here. 

• Agree 2

27 minutes ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

Yes, yes, let the hate flow through you

this is the right move, at the right time

There’s no reason we couldn’t have gotten a pick this season. The Bills got pissed at the tweet and shipped him off fast, that’s about it

• Disagree 3
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, MiracleAtRich1393 said:

Unless they have inside info that he's cooked, trading him inside the AFC to an ascending playoff team with a bidding star QB for essentially a late third round pick when considering the picks we gave back was assinine 

Look at the last 8 weeks.  The team and offense went on a run when they made him less a focal point of the offense.  He will benefit the AFC and playing in a dome.  He will produce but at 31 and a big cap number its time to pull the plug if he is not committed. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, KDIGGZ said:

Tyreek Hill was worth 2x 1sts. Diggs is worth a 2025 2nd? Ouch

Football players, particularly WRs, aren't like houses in good neighborhoods; they depreciate rather than appreciate.   Hill was about 3 years younger than Diggs.

A 31-year-old WR with a big contract isn't going to bring anything near as much as a 20-something WR with whom the new team can negotiate a new contract.

• Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

I see it more as a football business move.  Clearing his cap hits going forward as he ages will benefit the team.

Yep. Today's GMs have to have good business sense, and even a little bit of luck. 

It's truly real-world fantasy football with contracts.

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

there were multiple rookies better than diggs last yr

Yeah, but were they playing for McD….. the guy who put rookie Cooke in the dog house? Cooke who was averaging 5.7?!?! A guy who only had to have the ball handed to him, not run routes.

The idea that a rookie ( or rookies) are going to come in and BE ALLOWED to contribute goes against what we know about this HC.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Dislike 2

With the information at hand, I graded an A.

The 2024 season is about arranging the team's contracts so that they can spend money on the teams that will be on the field in the new stadium.

Moving an expensive, long term contract for a 31 year old player, when presented with an opportunity to do so, is a component of that strategy.  

14 minutes ago, MJS said:

Can't give it more than a C. Diggs put the organization in a tough spot and forced his way out, basically. Impossible for the Bills to come out on top in a situation like this.

What are you talking about?!?........we got rid of an aging self-centered WR......seems like a fairly decent position to be in.

Do you even follow football?

He served his purpose the first few years but the last couple he has been a complete head case.  In the long run we will be better not having him here.  Here's hoping we find a quality replacement in the draft.  With how childish he was, I honestly wish him the worst in Houston.

• Agree 1

26 minutes ago, FireChans said:

A because I think behind the scenes Diggs has been just as much of a cancer as he was in Minnesota (as I’ve said I suspected for about a year now) AND he had a sharp decline in production. A day 2 pick from a bad Minnesota team is an absolute W.

The extension gets an F-, the trade gets an A.

We as fans dont really have any solid evidence of him being a cancer  but that is what is going to be gradually leaked out by OBD that was in fact.

3 minutes ago, Buffalo Boy said:

Because this staff has shown a propensity to stock the O side?

I know they did last year but two years in a row?

Couple that with the fact with our S and LB situation and if I’m a betting person ( which I’m not) my money is on a S or LB in the first two picks this year. 
    Also, I know scared money don’t make money but after Sammy I’m reticent of trading a first to move up for a “ Sure fire, can’t miss” rookie WR.

Yes, Beane has stocked the O side. Consistently, and not just last year. With FAs and with draft picks.

But just look at top three rounds, your most important picks.

Firsts:

Offense: Kincaid, Diggs, Allen

Defense: Elam, Rousseau, Oliver, Edmunds,

Seconds:

Offense: Torrence, Cook, Cody Ford,

Defense: Basham, Epenesa

Thirds:

Offense: Spencer Brown, Moss, Singletary, Knox

Defense: Dorian Williams, Terrel Bernard, Harrison Phillips

That's pretty even overall.

And I very much agree with you about trading up for a WR. Trading up a bit? Sure. Trading up and giving up two firsts and a second? Borderline nuts. The studies have said so again and again. And again.

Look at Massey-Thaler, the Harvard Sports Collective and every other study out there. The only smart trade-up where you give up so much is for a QB you think will be your franchise guy.

Otherwise, the odds are stacked against you with that kind of move. You decrease your chances of success. It's not one or two studies that say that, It's about all of them.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, May Day 10 said:

Ugh.  Strengthens the Texans, who I think are going to be a bigger menace that KC and Cincinnati for the next 2-3 seasons.

Bills fans now will turn their attention away from the Jets and now post incessantly about how the Texans are an absolute joke and will end up a pile of suck 😂

If true, I can see how it makes sense.  There's something Stef is unhappy with, so probably a good idea to unload a player that doesn't want to be there and get something in return that could pay long term dividends. 

IF they can parlay extra draft picks from the trade to move up in round 1 and get an impact WR, it would be a brilliant move. Suddenly, a WR with fresh legs on a rookie contract, with minimal drop off at the position (if any), and freeing money for other need positions. 

Hope it works out that way.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Evansfan322 said:

Going to struggle this year. Rookie WRs take time and Samuel isn’t a #1

Kincaid, Shakir, and Samuel are going to eat. Kincaid could be a 150 target receiver next year.

I think a rookie will contribute. It depends where they draft them.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, Warriorspikes51 said:

If Diggs future hits are all off the books, we can afford to go after Tee Higgins, Aiyuk, Cam Sutton or others  if we want 

Not this season. We still don’t have a lot of room to play with

15 minutes ago, stinky finger said:

Not all. There will be some chuckleheads who’ll stand their ground even if this trade proves otherwise. 

And you know who they are. 

Even so, the organization is in a less than ideal position. They are now paying a receiver 30 million to not be on the team. It might be the right move, but it is not what anyone wanted to happen. Ideally, Diggs would be on the team, happy, and contributing. But he's not.

33 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

LOL, now the primary reason why we haven't done better in the playoffs is Diggs' fault.  

LMAO 

I must've missed the explanation of why they lied to us for the past year.  

That's not what he said, what he said was that Diggs doesn't show up for the playoffs but does for the regular season.

That's a fact.

1 minute ago, Sweats said:

What are you talking about?!?........we got rid of an aging self-centered WR......seems like a fairly decent position to be in.

No, apparently he/she doesnt even follow football since he doesn't agree with you.

• Sad 1

13 minutes ago, Sweats said:

Stop being sooooooooooo friggin dramatic, dude..........we've got Cooks and Kincaid and we're going to replace Diggs.

Need a tissue?

Cooks going to play RB and WR?  Heard plenty of people on this website talking about how cooks has issues catching so that makes me feel confident and those of you who said that I hope you admit agreeing.  

Kincaid had a very good rookie season but I would not put him anywhere in the top tier of tight ends. That will happen hopefully, in three years.

• Like (+1) 1

I thought we would just cut him next off-season so I’m pleased.

Now, if Stef didn’t pull his great disappearing act in the second half of the season and completely laid an egg against KC, I may feel different. Stef is very good when he wants to be. He no longer wanted to be in Buffalo and it showed.

Solid B on this trade.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Warriorspikes51 said:

If Diggs future hits are all off the books, we can afford to go after Tee Higgins, Aiyuk, Cam Sutton or others  if we want 

They want a cost controlled rookie on low contract I would think

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Sweats said:

30 million dead cap. That's never a good thing. Was it the right move? Probably, but that doesn't make it an ideal situation.

1 hour ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

A 2025 2nd round pick! 

Beane got had.

This is all to placate McD's fragile ego. 

This is really stupid move for this year.

Only way Beane recovers from this is to mortgage multiple picks to move up and get one of the top 3 WR. 

Sad sad day when you chose the loser HC over the guy that was the heart and soul of the team for years. 

Diggs was in no way shape or form "the heart and soul of the team." Your saying he was, IMHO, calls your judgment into question. 

Or if he was, that helps explain why they have fallen short.

Edited by Dr. K
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, SUNTANBILLS FAN said:

Yea those WR1 are easy to get........  🤦 

An aging self-centered WR1 who cared nothing about the team?.........league has plenty of those.