RIP Vontae Davis

Not a lot of info yet...

https://wsvn.com/news/local/broward/death-investigation-underway-after-body-found-at-residence-in-southwest-ranches/

A death investigation is underway after a body was found at a residence in Southwest Ranches.

Davie Police and the Broward County Medical Examiners Office arrived at the scene in the area of Southwest 178th Avenue, Monday morning.

Police said that a male was found deceased at the home. No foul play was involved, police said, as they continue to investigate.

According to property records, the home is owned by Adaline Davis, who is former Miami Dolphins cornerback Vontae Davis’ grandmother.

• Sad 24

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, KDIGGZ said:

Is this real? Or an April fools he quit halfway through life joke?

I did check to make sure it wasn't a sick April Fools joke, but no it's real. The news article confirms it. And his former college coach is the one that broke the news.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Thank you (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Weird that my first thought was April Fools...

Sad all around. Too early, and if no foul play, likely he did not adjust to life after football well.

It would be a sick joke but I was so hoping it was. 😔 Way too young. RIP Vontae.

Crazy story -

I was driving Uber when he was playing for Buffalo.   I actually picked him up the night before he quit during halftime.   I drove him to Chipotle, he ran in to grab food then I drove him back home.     He was a nice dude.. 

Very sad about what happened to him.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Is it too soon for this?

Haha!  I've never seen that.

Think of the clarity he had in that moment to know, "I'm done and can't do this anymore." 

People give him ish for it, but that had to be a profound and powerful moment to have hit a player of his caliber like that.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I wonder if he will have an autopsy. CTE related somehow maybe. drugs or suicide seem to fit the narrative. or a fall.  Terrible news

its sad no matter how you look at it. Prayers to his friends ex teammates and family. 

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, muppy said:

I wonder if he will have an autopsy. CTE related somehow maybe. drugs or suicide seem to fit the narrative. or a fall.  Terrible news

its sad no matter how you look at it. Prayers to his friends ex teammates and family. 

Suicide doesnt mean CTE. Plenty of people commit suicide without CTE.

Guys have a tough time coping with life after the NFL even with working brains. It's a HUGE life change and at a relative early age.

Plus, there is a history of mental illness in that family. Vernon and Vontae's youngest brother was arrested for killing someone with a hammer, and attacking other random people, and was found not fit to stand trial. https://www.cbsnews.com/sanfrancisco/news/vernon-davis-brother-found-unfit-for-trial-in-deadly-d-c-hammer-attack/

1 hour ago, boyst said:

rip. too young.

mens mental health needs to be brought to the forefront. it is all too easily forgotten and ignored in the cacophony of humanity.

Need to completely reinstate the Mental Health Systems Act of 1980. Killing it was one of the worst things to happen to this country and a huge reason why we have the homeless and senseless killing issues we're currently faced with today.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Shocked 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, Beast said:

Looking back on it, maybe he was having issues all the way back when he was traded from Miami.

That video was heart breaking.

When he asked to call his Grandma and what they got for him in the trade?

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Guys have a tough time coping with life after the NFL even with working brains. It's a HUGE life change and at a relative early age.

Plus, there is a history of mental illness in that family. Vernon and Vontae's youngest brother was arrested for killing someone with a hammer, and attacking other random people, and was found not fit to stand trial. https://www.cbsnews.com/sanfrancisco/news/vernon-davis-brother-found-unfit-for-trial-in-deadly-d-c-hammer-attack/

This brought to memory when Junior Seau was found dead.  The community here was devastated. He was an NFL and San Diego icon.  And I totally agree that his mental issues may not have been CTE in Vontaes case.

Edited by muppy
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Matt_In_NH said:

When he asked to call his Grandma and what they got for him in the trade?

First thing I thought of when I read the article and it mentioned the house is in his grandmas name. ☹️

• Agree 1

21 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Need to completely reinstate the Mental Health Systems Act of 1980. Killing it was one of the worst things to happen to this country and a huge reason why we have the homeless and senseless killing issues we're currently faced with today.

The ... I don't even know where to begin because I have thought about it plenty as I age and can think it out occasionally but then stumble.

Men can't feel in modern society. Men can't show emotions or react to situations. Too easily we simply overreact because of various reasons. Or too many times we don't know how to react. I don't know where what or how or why but somewhere men have not adapted and evolved like women.

Anything must be done at this point. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1