Inside the Bears 2006 Draft Room - mention of former Bill Ashton Youboty

The Bears posted this to celebrate Devin Hester and I found it very interesting that Ashton Youboty was considered by Chicago as a low floor “safe pick.” I think we ended up getting him in the 3rd.

Edited by Roundybout
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

This board would explode if Beane ever had a draft like that (Whitner, McCargo, Youboty, Ko Simpson, Keith Ellison).  Silver lining is we landed Kyle Williams in that draft.

Maybe it’s just me but I don’t think Ko or Whitner were that bad players. Not exactly what we needed first round with Donte but hindsight is always 20/20. 

Keith Ellison wasn’t that bad either for a 6th rounder…

Biggest miss that draft was McCargo and not Whitner for results over their tenure. 

One stud in Williams and three other solid players; Whitner, Simpson and Ellison isn’t that bad. Again, at least to me. 

• Haha (+1) 1

Whitner was 1.) overdrafted - would’ve been a good use of a second rounder, but at 8th overall, a safety needs to be a difference maker on the level of Ed Reed or Ronnie Lott, and

2.) NOT Haloti Ngata, who was right there and such an obvious pick

• Sad 1
  • Thank you (+1) 5

Ko Simposn had a big rookie year for us and Whitner, while a bit of a disappointment, was a day 1 starter who played for 11 seasons. Far from our worst draft.

The thing that everyone always overlooks on bust drafts picks, is that in the vast majority of cases (unless you're Jacksonville, the Raiders or New England) that guy who was a massive disappointment for your team, was getting drafted in the next couple of picks if you didn't take him. The draft is just as much luck as it is skill.

If we didn't draft sammy watkins #4, he was going in the next couple picks. Same for Mike Williams, Ej Manuel, JP Losman, etc.

Edited by BullBuchanan
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

Ko Simposn had a big rookie year for us and Whitner, while a bit of a disappointment, was a day 1 starter who played for 11 seasons. Far from our worst draft.

The thing that everyone always overlooks on bust drafts picks, is that in the vast majority of cases (unless you're Jacksonville, the Raiders or New England) that guy who was a massive disappointment for your team, was getting drafted in the next couple of picks if you didn't take him. The draft is just as much luck as it is skill.

If we didn't draft sammy watkins #4, he was going in the next couple picks. Same for Mike Williams, Ej Manuel, JP Losman, etc.

I always thought the Bills tried to jump GB for Losman. Gunslinger QB with a huge arm and athletic? Seemed like the perfect dude to sit behind Favre

46 minutes ago, BBFL said:

Maybe it’s just me but I don’t think Ko or Whitner were that bad players. Not exactly what we needed first round with Donte but hindsight is always 20/20. 

Biggest miss that draft was McCargo and not Whitner for results over their tenure. 

One stud in Williams and three other solid players; Whitner, Simpson and Ellison isn’t that bad. Again, at least to me. 

team america vomit GIF

• Haha (+1) 4

1 minute ago, Captain Hindsight said:

I always thought the Bills tried to jump GB for Losman. Gunslinger QB with a huge arm and athletic? Seemed like the perfect dude to sit behind Favre

If he goes there, sits and learns like Rodgers did, and then is able to play the game his way, maybe he has a successful NFL career. Easily one of, if not the, most grossly mismanaged Bills prospects in my lifetime.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

We had the #8 pick in rounds 1 & 2, and the 5th and 8th pics in round 3. With these four premium picks we wound up with 3 players: S Whitner, DT McCargo, and DB Youboty. With 4 picks!!!  In round 4, we drafted Ko Simpson. All this on a team with no quarterback and a pi$$ poor offensive line. 

In all sincerity, everyone is entitled to their opinion on this and all other issues. That said, I'm sorry; how you could think that this was a good, or even half decent draft for the Bills is beyond any level of comprehension of which I am capable.

Peace!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

This board would explode if Beane ever had a draft like that (Whitner, McCargo, Youboty, Ko Simpson, Keith Ellison).  Silver lining is we landed Kyle Williams in that draft.

Ah, yes. The Marv Levy Draft. What an eye opener that was. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

Trust me, I went off big time. I said back then that it would set back the team 5 years. The truth is that I underestimated. 

Levy/Jauron were one of the worst combinations in NFL History.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

I think my brain went into safe mode and helped me forget how bad that draft was. Dear god, drafts like that are why a team will be in perennial suckage for years to come. 

7 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

The problems lies where its the same team drafting the massive disappointment year after year

Edited by Herc11
  • Like (+1) 2

On 3/29/2024 at 1:54 PM, BBFL said:

No this was peak bills dark ages.  We needed a DT and picked a 2nd round safety with the  8th pick then whiffed on a DT later in the first.  I mean McCargo had beasts next to him and that is why he excelled in college. 

.just horrible drafting

Edited by TBBills Fan
  • Like (+1) 3

7 hours ago, Cash said:

Whitner was 1.) overdrafted - would’ve been a good use of a second rounder, but at 8th overall, a safety needs to be a difference maker on the level of Ed Reed or Ronnie Lott, and

Lolz.

I remember that draft well.  I was outside cutting the grass, when my son comes outside to tell me the Bills picked Whitner.

My reaction:  "Who?"  I had never heard of Donte Whitner.

7 hours ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

Why? The Bills have had MUCH, MUCH worse drafts than that.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

8 hours ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

Who GM’ed this draft again? Absolutely horrid. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

We had the #8 pick in rounds 1 & 2, and the 5th and 8th pics in round 3. With these four premium picks we wound up with 3 players: S Whitner, DT McCargo, and DB Youboty. With 4 picks!!!  In round 4, we drafted Ko Simpson. All this on a team with no quarterback and a pi$$ poor offensive line. 

In all sincerity, everyone is entitled to their opinion on this and all other issues. That said, I'm sorry; how you could think that this was a good, or even half decent draft for the Bills is beyond any level of comprehension of which I am capable.

Peace!

Absolutely given that context, woof.

Is it possible that the Whitner pick was similar to the Preston Brown pick, where the game changed and had he been picked 5-10 years earlier he would have been much better (I think Preston Brown is the brusing MLB that was on the Bills while Kuechly and others were changing the position)

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Captain Hindsight said:

In an alternate universe Losman is the current QB for the Jets with a Packers SB ring on his finger. Buffalo ends up with Rodger’s and is ran out of town after immediately being thrown into the starting lineup.

9 hours ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

No way man. This board just doesn't know ko Simpson is worth millions 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, MJS said:

Why? The Bills have had MUCH, MUCH worse drafts than that.

Yeah, the year where Erick Flowers was a first round pick, think it was 2003, was arguably the worst year in franchise history. Off the top of my head, the only one I remember contributing was 5th round RB Sammy Morris. 

Correction: this was the 2000 draft. We famously picked Leif Larsen in the sixth and Tom Brady went just a few picks later. 

Edited by Brand J

13 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

If he goes there, sits and learns like Rodgers did, and then is able to play the game his way, maybe he has a successful NFL career. Easily one of, if not the, most grossly mismanaged Bills prospects in my lifetime.

He never had the temprament for it either though. Was his own worst enemy a lot of the time.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, BrainwashedBillsFan said:

I remember this draft like it was yesterday, man time flys 

That was when the 1st three rounds were on the first, or second, Saturday in April.  Start at Noon

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

We got Whitner, Youboty, Ko Simpson, and Kyle Williams? That's a pretty good draft for Beane, no? Youboty and Whitner would've been pro bowlers for this staff. Williams was obviously great, and a refreshing change from this staff's inability to draft game-changing DL.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006_NFL_draft

Memory lane. This was a good draft talent wise. Given who was in there and available, a huge bust draft for the Bills. 

Ngata stands out as a legendary whiff. 

This was the hey dey of my draft years. Wow those cheesy ESPN intros and clips of Reggie Bush walking down a fashion show runway. All the heavyweights - Berman, Mort, Mel were there and on the back 9 of their prime.

I thought it was a decent draft for us, but not players I readily liked. I was shouting for Ngata. 

Given that a lot of folks had players miscalculated in 06. The names Winston Justice...Kiwanuka....Bunkley ...so many fizzles in this draft, but so many big players as well . 

Edited by RichRiderBills

On 3/29/2024 at 1:41 PM, strive_for_five_guy said:

Kinda like the Patriots 2000 draft except for Brady. You wanna talk abiut bad. Holy crap

On 3/29/2024 at 2:00 PM, Cash said:

Cash I think you just became my new best friend.

On 3/29/2024 at 10:24 PM, PonyBoy said:

San Francisco's Merton Hanks begs to differ 😀

IMG_20240329_202230.jpg

Kaiir Elam has entered the chat.

IMG_6533.jpeg

On 3/29/2024 at 10:41 AM, strive_for_five_guy said:

Even though Whitner was a decent player and Kyle Williams was a complete stud and great late round pick that draft still set the Bills back given that they could have taken Ngata and Nick Mangold and instead got a draft bust in McCargo and an average safety in Whitner. The Bills could have ended up securing both sides of the line with Williams/Ngata up the middle and Mangold occupying the center spot for 8+ years at a high level. 

• Like (+1) 2