J.K. Dobbins would be a good addition as the Bills’ power RB.

Hard pass and I liked him coming out of the draft because he sounded like a Harry Potter character.

I'll let someone else take that chance coming off a torn ACL and a torn Achilles.  Maybe the Rams give him $8.5m.  We'll find someone through the draft and if that doesn't come to fruition sign someone like Murray like we did last year.  I'm holding out hope for Zeke Elliott personally.

• Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 7

38 minutes ago, Tipster19 said:

It was a little surprising for me to see Damien Harris just up and retire like he did but Dobbins would be a great replacement for him.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/j-k-dobbins-cleared-for-football-activities-will-begin-free-agent-visits-soon

No with Dobbins injury history. Also not surprised at all that Harris retired because of his injuries. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Hard pass and I liked him coming out of the draft because he sounded like a Harry Potter character.

I'll let someone else take that chance coming off a torn ACL and a torn Achilles.  Maybe the Rams give him $8.5m.  We'll find someone through the draft and if that doesn't come to fruition sign someone like Murray like we did last year.  I'm holding out hope for Zeke Elliott personally.

Agreed on Elliott. Every time he's brought up, people say he's toast. He's not.

He put up 955 yards last season and wasn't the Starter. In the one game he played bellcow with Stevenson down last season, he put up 140 yards.

Is he the same Top 3 RB he was a number of years ago? No. But he still has juice. And as an RB2 in a committee? He's a very good option there. Especially at the price tag. And he's still only 28 years old after all his time in the league. He also plays a very good complimentary style to Cook.

I hope he's still around after the Draft. I feel like the plan is to assess the Draft first and if the board doesn't fall the way we want, then we'll call up a veteran FA. We visited with Braelon Allen and Audric Estime. Braelon Allen is the perfect compliment to Cook. But I fear he may go too high. If he's there in the 4th though? I think we'd pull the trigger.

But if not, yeah, I want Zeke too. Either Zeke in FA or Braelon Allen in the Draft. That's my hope for RB2. If we don't take one in the Draft and Zeke's gone or not the guy - then I think we're looking at Clyde Edwards-Helaire or Cam Akers.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Sad 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Vet minimum to kick the tires and see what he offers in camp? Maybe. I wouldn't expect us to make a move for a RB until after we see how the draft falls though. 

• Like (+1) 2

55 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Agreed on Elliott. Every time he's brought up, people say he's toast. He's not.

He put up 955 yards last season and wasn't the Starter. In the one game he played bellcow with Stevenson down last season, he put up 140 yards.

Is he the same Top 3 RB he was a number of years ago? No. But he still has juice. And as an RB2 in a committee? He's a very good option there. Especially at the price tag. And he's still only 28 years old after all his time in the league. He also plays a very good complimentary style to Cook.

I hope he's still around after the Draft. I feel like the plan is to assess the Draft first and if the board doesn't fall the way we want, then we'll call up a veteran FA. We visited with Braelon Allen and Audric Estime. Braelon Allen is the perfect compliment to Cook. But I fear he may go too high. If he's there in the 4th though? I think we'd pull the trigger.

But if not, yeah, I want Zeke too. Either Zeke in FA or Braelon Allen in the Draft. That's my hope for RB2. If we don't take one in the Draft and Zeke's gone or not the guy - then I think we're looking at Clyde Edwards-Helaire or Cam Akers.

Zeke averaged a whopping 3.5 yards per carry last year. Down a bit from the 3.8 yards per carry he had the year before. And just over 6 yards per reception. I would say the "Zeke is washed" arguments have some merit to them. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 4

27 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Zeke averaged a whopping 3.5 yards per carry last year. Down a bit from the 3.8 yards per carry he had the year before. And just over 6 yards per reception. I would say the "Zeke is washed" arguments have some merit to them. 

I'd say the Offensive Line he was running behind and the QB and Passing Game, or lack there of, he had to open up the Run game didn't help things.

You can point to averages. But considering a.) what's out there and b.) what he was able to put up statistically elsewhere last year as an RB2 - I think he's maybe the top option available.

He had one game last season where he was the starter and he basically carried them to victory - https://heavy.com/sports/new-england-patriots/ezekiel-elliott-nfl-cowboys/

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Disagree 2

8 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

I'd say the Offensive Line he was running behind and the QB and Passing Game he had to open up the Run game didn't help things.

You can point to averages. But considering a.) what's out there and b.) what he was able to put up statistically elsewhere last year as an RB2 - I think he's maybe the top option available.

He had one game last season where he was the starter and he basically carried them to victory - https://heavy.com/sports/new-england-patriots/ezekiel-elliott-nfl-cowboys/

He fits our need for RB and he’s a self aggrandizing punk.  We are well below average in that category too.  This is a two birds one stone scenario.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

58 minutes ago, H2o said:

Vet minimum to kick the tires and see what he offers in camp? Maybe. I wouldn't expect us to make a move for a RB until after we see how the draft falls though. 

team friendly deal, on the cheap , don't overpay.....prove it deaL......right?

24 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

I'd say the Offensive Line he was running behind and the QB and Passing Game, or lack there of, he had to open up the Run game didn't help things.

Yes, he had that game where he was really good as a receiver that helped. But even in the game you mentioned he averages just over 3 yards per carry. 

I'd point blame to the Patriots OL as well, however he was only slightly worse than the season before with the Cowboys. 

While you keep pointing out he was the "number 2" and that he didn't start...he still out touched the starter on the season. 235-194 was the final split between Zeke and Stevenson. He wasn't the #2. 

Is he the best option out there? I hardly think so. He's showed for years those tires are balding out. I also think it's telling that despite Jerry Jones loving him, him loving Dallas and the Cowboys having literally nothing in the RB room Zeke still sits on the open market. 

• Agree 1

Absolutely loved JK when he was coming out of the draft. He was my favourite RB in that class. 

But his injury history is extremely concerning and there are simply better and more durable options available to us as an RB2

• Like (+1) 1

Sorry in advance for running on a bit.  But I just wanted not throw it out there to see if maybe a few people agree.

Dobbins’ ‘20 great 1st year 134 800yds 6ypc 9TDs but tore ACL in ‘21 camp, missed all of 2021 and the first two games of 2022 before returning for eight games (93/520/5.7/2TDs) but then another knee injury sidelined him six weeks.  Tore Achilles first game last year (surgeon cleared him 13 hours ago and said he was outstanding puts rep on the line with NFL).

Spotrac has Dobbins $2.1M mkt value (probably prove it contract)—Ty is only signing for $1.29M.  With Darrynton Evans a “futures contract”, is it possible for us to have an RB2/3 tandem with Dobbins’ (and his super high ceiling) for $3.4M.

With Dobbins to getting “outstanding” clearance yesterday from his surgeon what would you think about our medical team checking him out and then rolling the dice for a reasonable amount of money (perhaps less than Latavius last year).

We could have had a potentially healed super high ceiling in Dobbins and some good camp competition with Ty. And, if Cooks ever went down a healthy and healed Dobbins could be almost like not missing a beat and then adding in Ty would be very nice.  Brady could have a lot of fun. 🥳

Edited by biggerdaddynj

I think that signing Dobbins on a cheap, heavily incentive-laden contract would be awesome. He's NOT going to command a big salary coming off those two injuries and with almost no notable NFL production to his name. 

If he'd sign a prove-it deal and come to camp, I'd be all for it. The upside is ENORMOUS, and assuming it was an affordable deal with low to no guarantees, there is really not much downside.

Yes, it's possible he's never the same guy he was at Ohio State. It's also possible that he bounces back from injury and you get a real steal for relative peanuts.

Like @boyst, I also think CEH would be a great (and less risky, health wise) choice. I can't imagine either guy costing much. Signing former 1st and 2nd round picks who need a fresh start and a change of scenery seems like exactly the type of thing the Bills should be doing at RB2.

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

3 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

My only concern is that he had like... 1 play greater than 20 yards all season.  

10 minutes ago, Logic said:

I think that signing Dobbins on a cheap, heavily incentive-laden contract would be awesome. He's NOT going to command a big salary coming off those two injuries and with almost no notable NFL production to his name. 

If he'd sign a prove-it deal and come to camp, I'd be all for it. The upside is ENORMOUS, and assuming it was an affordable deal with low to no guarantees, there is really not much downside.

Yes, it's possible he's never the same guy he was at Ohio State. It's also possible that he bounces back from injury and you get a real steal for relative peanuts.

Like @boyst, I also think CEH would be a great (and less risky, health wise) choice. I can't imagine either guy costing much. Signing former 1st and 2nd round picks who need a fresh start and a change of scenery seems like exactly the type of thing the Bills should be doing at RB2.

I always think of Duke Johnson who never put together the career people hoped for but was able to keep playing successfully for his teams over his career.

Give me a guy who can take the ball and give me 400 yards, be a good teammate, and most importantly be available.

• Like (+1) 1

Living here in Baltimore and listening to the Ravens radio at times, I can see him holding out for more than the vet min.  Not that he deserves it, but he is a bit of a diva

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, stuvian said:

He has never distinguished himself even when healthy. I've had him in fantasy much to my regret

While it is indisputable that he has RARELY been healthy in his career, when he WAS healthy as a rookie, I would argue that he did indeed distinguish himself.

He averaged 5.8 yards per carry that year. Very good.

Now, obviously, we're four years and two major injuries beyond that point. But Dobbins is 25 years old and, in my opinion, worth at least kicking the tires on to see if he has any of that old explosivity left.

• Agree 1

I am holding out hope for Zeke.  I want him picked late and at a good value.  A veteran who can get the tough short yards and knows how to pass block would be a great fit here.  Contrary to the stats provided above, when I saw him in action last year I saw a good RB.

Also, Zeke has been kind of humbled and with that can be a chip on his shoulders.  I would find it easy to root for him now (I didn't before).

• Sad 1

29 minutes ago, stuvian said:

He has never distinguished himself even when healthy. I've had him in fantasy much to my regret

i disagree. he was outshined by the best running back in the league - lamar jackson. 

when he was engaged in the game and game planned around with Gregg Roman and others he was tremendously efficient and served as a strategy problem for defenses.

1 hour ago, boyst said:

CEH is my vote. 

Yeah, why would he not be considered a better option than washed up Zeke Eliott or perennially injured Dobbins? That's an easy choice for me.

The Bills like Cook as their starter, and I think they were impressed by what they got out of Ty Johnson. If the Bills could sign him at vet minimum, I'd be on board.  He's not going to get enough playing time to justify any more than that.  Combine those factors with the risk of ineffectiveness following two catastrophic injuries, I just don't think the Bills will offer him enough money to make him happy.

18 minutes ago, MJS said:

Yeah, why would he not be considered a better option than washed up Zeke Eliott or perennially injured Dobbins? That's an easy choice for me.

elliot washed up is a better floor than many younger guys ceiling

2 hours ago, damj said:

Hard no. He is less durable than wet toilet paper

I realize he had two major injuries, but...I wouldn't classify a torn ACL or a popped achilles as "durability issues". Both are freak accidents that can happen to anyone, even the most "durable" players.

Just now, Logic said:

I realize he had two major injuries, but...I wouldn't classify a torn ACL or a popped achilles as "durability issues". Both are freak accidents that can happen to anyone, even the most "durable" players.

But they do carry a decent probability of reoccurrence, not to mention the possibility of sapping skill (long layoffs) and explosiveness.  

It'd depend on the price. As a lot of all of this does.

My guess is he gets somebody to pay him $3 - 5M, maybe. The guy has had tremendous YPC numbers in all the years except last year when he only had 8 carries. His injuries will push it down of course, but again, I  think someone will pay him.

And for that money, I'd say no thanks. 

If we could get him for significantly less, yeah, maybe.