CURTIS SAMUEL A BILL

3 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Nice signing.   We now have 3 inside/outside guys.. Diggs being a traditional outside guy with inside flex and Shakir/Samuel more inside guys with outside flex.  

Presents a lot of flexibility with Knox/Kincaid in the mix at TE. 

Still think we need a true outside WR early in the draft and this definitely doesn’t change that. 

Still.. really nice piece to add.

Draft an outside guy early and this WR room starts looking really nice. 

I hope Beane understands this

• Agree 4

Just now, The Jokeman said:

You forgetting when we had Peerless Price on the outside? Or Lee Evans?

Im being a jackass I’m on your side here boss but for the last couple weeks I have been told that only a large fast big bodied guy can be drafted and anything else is unacceptable

• Agree 1

Just now, Aussie Joe said:

Legette will be there at 28…not that he is my choice 

He's my fall back. Coleman is my fall back to the fall back, though a lot of folks have Coleman ahead of Legette.

I'm still going to hold out irrational hope for Thomas, and then moderate hope for Mitchell.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I believe we are going to have a WR room that is going to be playing all over the field, interchangeable parts.   I think you will see Samuel, Diggs, Shakir and Kincaid all operating a decent bit out of the slot and outside.   I believe its going to be a very possession like passing with rushing attack mixed in with deep down the field passes.

Samuel has a lot of physical talents and he's somewhat versatile.  He hasn't had good QB's throwing him the ball and the ones who have thrown it to him were his QB's for less than a year on average, so no chemistry was ever able to get established with the QB.

This gives the Bills some flexibility with who they can draft at the WR.  They won't be pigeon holed to chase after a burner, they could be free to draft the best WR available and to me that sounds more appealing.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

Im being a jackass I’m on your side here boss but for the last couple weeks I have been told that only a large fast big bodied guy can be drafted and anything else is unacceptable

I'm one that wants a big bodied X WR. I even posted in another thread how Samuel is a good WR but maybe not best fit here. As if look at the success he had with Brady he was in the slot 60% of the time which to me hurts us using Shakir there.

2 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

Legette will be there at 28…not that he is my choice 

He's my choice depending what's left at DL.

Edited by The Jokeman
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Since Curtis Samuel has come into the league, he has had these QBs throwing footballs to him.

Corpse of Cam Newton

Kyle Allen

Will Grier

Teddy Bridgewater

PJ Walker

Garrett Gilbert

Ryan Fitzpatrick (Had 3 completions for his Commanders career)

Carson Wentz

Taylor Heinicke

Sam Howell

Just a "reality check" for any stat hunters.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, The Jokeman said:

I'm one that wants a big bodied X WR. I even posted in another thread how Samuel is a good WR but maybe not best hit here. As if look at the success he had with Brady he was in the slot 60% of the time which to me hurts us using Shakir there.

I and obviously don’t know this but believe they will us him outside more here 

8 minutes ago, Roundybout said:

He was catching passes from: 

Semi-Broken Cam Newton

Very Broken Cam Newton

Kyle Allen

Taylor Heinicke 

Will Grier

Teddy Bridgewater

PJ Walker

Garrett Gilbert

Carson Wentz

Sam Howell

I think this will be an upgrade. 

LOL.  You beat me to the punch.  I used "corpse" for Newton, "broken" works too!

• Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Einstein said:

His catch percentage is only a few points higher than Gabe, unfortunately.

Yeah, no. 

Davis posted 56%, 52% and 56% his last three seasons. Curtis Samuel caught  79%, 69% and 68% over his last three full seasons. That's not a "few points". 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 5

20 minutes ago, Special K said:

McCorkle??? You're just kidding right??

The Bills will be drafting a big-bodied X receiver like Thomas Jr., Adonai Mitchell, Keon Coleman or Xavier Legette

This signing probably eliminates guys like Worthy, Roman Wilson, Troy Franklin, and McConkey

I'm not kidding and aside from Thomas Jr., McConkey will go on to have better careers than the other three guys.

• Dislike 1

20 minutes ago, No_Matter_What said:

I don't watch Commanders like at all but judging from his stats (10 YPC), does he play strictly slot?

20 minutes ago, Bills!Win! said:

I don’t know much about the Panthers or Commanders. Is this possibly just another Deonte Harty signing? 

12 minutes ago, Brandon said:

So Samuel is more of a slot receiver in the Cole Beasley role?  

He has been used in the slot more the past few seasons. He is similar to our Crowder signing I would say but hopefully this time pans out. Has more versatility but is not a down the field guy. Can use him on reverses or get creative on jetsweeps like McK. I would say combo of Beasley, McK, Crowder with a little Deebo.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Solid wr.  Can play anywhere in formation.  Curious how he looks playing with a big time Qb.  I go Worthy at 28.  Hollins goes the dirty work, Samuels is solid everywhere.  Worthy a speed demon.  

• Like (+1) 2

52 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

And Kincaid, who is realistically going to be the #2 target. 

I think a lot of ppl seem to overlook this fact. I fully expect Kincaid to get a lions share of the targets next season. 

Kincaid

Diggs

Samuel

sprinkle in Shakir and Knox. 

id take a flyer on a rookie WR with insane physical skills but some red flags in the 3rd or 4th rd. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Motorin' said:

Yeah, no. 

Davis posted 56%, 52% and 56% his last three seasons. Curtis Samuel caught  79%, 69% and 68% over his last three full seasons. That's not a "few points". 

I should have been more clear - I was talking about contested catch rate. Because contested catches is what Gabe really struggled with. If anyone touched him in any way, he would drop it.

Samuel is similar. 

He has a 45% career contested catch rate. Gabe is 42%. For comparison sake, Diggs is 13 percentage points higher.

• Like (+1) 1

I like the move, not a huge move but a positive consistent outside WR who is fairly young (will be 28 this upcoming season) and signed to a nice deal. Stats wise he's not that dissimilar from Gabe Davis factoring in that while Gabe had more yards and TD's the past two seasons Samuel was not having Josh Allen throwing to him. Samuel also has a much higher catch percentage with 68% and 69% catch percentages compared to Gabe's rather bad 51% and 55% catch percentages. 

It doesn't mean that I still don't think that the Bills shouldn't draft a WR up high as they have to think about adding both depth and someone to down the line take over for Diggs whose suddenly entering his age 31 season and WR's usually hit the wall around age 32/33. BUT this does at the very least give the Bills some flexibility in terms of where they can go with picks 28 and 60. They can trade down to pick up extra picks in this and the 2025 draft if a trade-down presents its self. They can overload the WR position and just take one at pick 28 or they can address another need (maybe take the best center in the draft and just build a wall on the O-line or take a defensive player). 

It can kind of look like a lateral move replacing Gabe with a player who puts up similar numbers (but given that Samuel is significantly cheaper a lateral move is still a positive move) but I like the fit better with Samuel being a more sure handed reciever. Drops can kill an offense and having a player with a much better catch percentage on similar volume makes a positive impact and opens up the draft board. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

Where are all the people who should be upset we signed a slot WR? Or who think WRs only operate from the slot or only operate outside?

Also, I feel these lists of our healthy fleet of pass catchers are sleeping on Knox.

Edited by JohnBonhamRocks
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

51 minutes ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU** MCKISSIC..... that is no jinx. McKissic jinxed himself!!!!

AMAZING SIGNING!!!!! Finally a Buckeyes player on the Bills again!!!!!!

Li'l' Donte being the last one.....  Let's hope Samuel is a better football player and way less of an #######.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Einstein said:

I should have been more clear - I was talking about contested catch rate. Because contested catches is what Gabe really struggled with. If anyone touched him in any way, he would drop it.

Samuel is similar. 

He has a 45% career contested catch rate. Gabe is 42%. For comparison sake, Diggs is 13 percentage points higher.

Yeah but what percentage of Samuels targets are contested? Cause he's average catch percentage is actually slightly higher than Diggs'.

He's not a jump ball player. He's a separator that specializes in beating man coverage and getting YAC... Also, he's not replacing Davis, imo. He's replacing Harty. 

Davis' replacement will come in Rd 1 or 2.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

I like the move, not a huge move but a positive consistent outside WR who is fairly young (will be 28 this upcoming season) and signed to a nice deal. Stats wise he's not that dissimilar from Gabe Davis factoring in that while Gabe had more yards and TD's the past two seasons Samuel was not having Josh Allen throwing to him. Samuel also has a much higher catch percentage with 68% and 69% catch percentages compared to Gabe's rather bad 51% and 55% catch percentages. 

It doesn't mean that I still don't think that the Bills shouldn't draft a WR up high as they have to think about adding both depth and someone to down the line take over for Diggs whose suddenly entering his age 31 season and WR's usually hit the wall around age 32/33. BUT this does at the very least give the Bills some flexibility in terms of where they can go with picks 28 and 60. They can trade down to pick up extra picks in this and the 2025 draft if a trade-down presents its self. They can overload the WR position and just take one at pick 28 or they can address another need (maybe take the best center in the draft and just build a wall on the O-line or take a defensive player). 

It can kind of look like a lateral move replacing Gabe with a player who puts up similar numbers (but given that Samuel is significantly cheaper a lateral move is still a positive move) but I like the fit better with Samuel being a more sure handed reciever. Drops can kill an offense and having a player with a much better catch percentage on similar volume makes a positive impact and opens up the draft board. 

Samuel can actually uncover within the first 5-10 yards; Gabe can’t.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, bobobonators said:

I think a lot of ppl seem to overlook this fact. I fully expect Kincaid to get a lions share of the targets next season. 

Kincaid

Diggs

Samuel

sprinkle in Shakir and Knox. 

id take a flyer on a rookie WR with insane physical skills but some red flags in the 3rd or 4th rd. 

Unless something changes Beane has to think that Diggs is not long for the team.

A June 1 cut or trade has to be a possibility next year.

I'd still look to go with a 1st (2nd at the latest) WR this draft.

• Agree 1

Just now, ColoradoBills said:

Unless something changes Beane has to think that Diggs is not long for the team.

A June 1 cut or trade has to be a possibility next year.

I'd still look to go with a 1st (2nd at the latest) WR this draft.

We currently don't even have a 3rd. Waiting until the 4th round in this exceptional WR draft is just an awful idea.

• Agree 3

I like it and I don't like it.  

I like Curtis Samuel, but he works mostly out of the slot and we have Shakir for that.  Please don't force this guy into Gabe's role.  

Also, I hope this isn't a band-aid so that they can draft another d-lineman or DB in the 1st.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, Dr. Who said:

We currently don't even have a 3rd. Waiting until the 4th round in this exceptional WR draft is just an awful idea.

Im not advocating for against it but I would now make the argument they are going to go DL in round one and draft a WR in round 2. 

Beane is also the type of hyperactive guy who is angry he didn’t get the 3rd he was expecting and trades out of round 1, gets it back, takes someone like Coleman or Legette or whomever and then trades up with one of the 4ths from 60 to get a DT like Braden Fiske

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

6 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Samuel is similar. 

Is there not a fair amount of context missing from that stat comparison? Josh Allen is far more accurate, with far better ball placement than anyone who ever threw a pass to Samuel. Not all contested passes are created equal. 

And, of course, Samuel gets much more separation than Davis. 

1 minute ago, gonzo1105 said:

Im not advocating for against it but I would now make the argument they are going to go DL in round one and draft a WR in round 2. 

Beane is also the type of hyperactive guy who is angry he didn’t get the 3rd he was expecting and trades out of round 1, gets it back, takes someone like Coleman or Legette or whomever and then trades up with one of the 4ths from 60 to get a DT like Braden Fiske

Whats Fiske going to do ? Play 25 percent of the snaps behind Oliver ?

More of a need at Edge in my view …

• Agree 1