Allen restructured

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Chicken Boo said:

You think so?  I was thinking the $10-$12 million range.  

Gabe Davis just got around that. Ridley is far superior overall

Now if we wanted Ridley bad enough we could structure a deal to bring his cap hit this season down to 10-12

Edited by Warriorspikes51
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

You think so?  I was thinking the $10-$12 million range.  

Gabe Davis just got 13m per year on a 3 year deal that can go up to 50m. Ridley should get more than that, but he definitely won't get less.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

And what you don’t spend this year can be carried over. It makes no difference. Basically by not taking all of it tells me there’s a self imposed cash limit set by the owner. In other words the owner isn’t a blank check this year. 

That is my thought as well. Energy is down…

• Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

13 minutes ago, stevestojan said:

Can someone explain the downside of this? Like why wouldn’t every team in cap trouble just restructure as signing bonuses? I know it’s a dumb question. But I don’t know the answer. 

They do, but it only goes so far. Beane has been balancing it all very well, but it takes a savvy GM to make it all work. You also have to have an owner willing to write big checks.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, MJS said:

They do, but it only goes so far. Beane has been balancing it all very well, but it takes a savvy GM to make it all work. You also have to have an owner willing to write big checks.

And to be fair to Pegula he has been spending like crazy. This might be a slow down year for him.

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

He is the biggest WR “name” left ..other than Ridley who Is too expensive 

I mean, I get it. I just don’t know why there isn’t the hammering of the table for guys who are just as productive and will just as much or less… Curtis Samuel, Tyler Boyd, DPJ, Noah Brown… Even that Agnew kid. 

Eh, to each their own I guess. 

Ok maybe Samuel, but Hollywood is as much a consistent mention around here as Ridley. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

And what you don’t spend this year can be carried over. It makes no difference. Basically by not taking all of it tells me there’s a self imposed cash limit set by the owner. In other words the owner isn’t a blank check this year. 

I think it's just Beane trying to get the cap situation under control this year.  

• Like (+1) 1

I'm fine with Beane not taking every dollar out of Josh's contract.  If he HAS to later, he can go back to the well.

KC is doing the same with Mahomes.  Mahomes has had $36M and $37M cap hits the last 2 years.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, stevestojan said:

Can someone explain the downside of this? Like why wouldn’t every team in cap trouble just restructure as signing bonuses? I know it’s a dumb question. But I don’t know the answer. 

A few reasons:

- Some don’t have the cash (literally).

- Most teams simply don’t want to spend the maximum possible.

- It’s used in negotiations. It’s difficult to tell a FA that you can’t pay him more when you’re sitting on a ton of cap space.

- PR. It’s a bad look to the fans if you have cap space you’re not using, especially when your team isn’t performing as well as they’d like.

- Fear of another Covid-style event where the cap decreases. That could potential be a huge issue.

- Suspensions have less of an impact since game checks not paid to the player are not counted toward the cap. 

- Maximizing the use of signing bonuses can be done long term (see how the Browns are operating), but it can’t really be meshed with an “all in” play. Teams can stay the course or let their foot off the gas, but they can’t do much more in the way of ramping up spending. The Browns are spending at a rate of about 121% of the yearly cap IN CASH. That’s sustainable as long as the cap goes up at expected rates.

Hope that helps. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

We could have gotten $23M but we chose not to kick all of it to future years. I guess they figured $16M is enough to do what they want to do in free agency.

Seems like a smart idea to me. 

But if something comes up, can the Bills restructure it agin this off season?

4 minutes ago, pennstate10 said:

It looks like they left the extra as salary, so yes. If it was a roster bonus, then they could not once it was paid. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

The cap is not real cash! It’s not. The cap # is real, but you can spend a lot more cash than that. 

"..and then one day the rain came and washed all the crops away..."

I get it, but eventually you have to make good on what you spend. It's not monopoly money. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, pennstate10 said:

Don’t think they can do anything again this year. But could be wrong. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

Just like you…we’re in the same support group remember 

Hey just doing my part to cut down on redundant threads.  It’s very important here 

Im not sure why, but when you post, I think of this guy

south park GIF

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, UKBillFan said:

Every time I log out for a bit something Bills related happens. Dawkins, Davis, Floyd, AJE, Josh… maybe I ought to sign off again.

Sign off before the playoffs start.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Virgil said:

Interesting.  I would have assumed we'd have saved more, but I guess that means we are under the cap now.  

Who's left at this point?  I would think only Oliver.  I don't want us to touch Diggs and kick the can down the road, unless he wants to give some money back like Knox and Von (doubtful).

I'm wondering when we give him a new overall deal though. He's well worth more than his deal.

T Johnson  Unless I missed it

1 hour ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

Guys, we aren't that much under the cap. 14.8 over, Josh gets us over the cap, then say 12 mill for the other 2 deals. Then subtract AJ's money.

We aren't flush with cash.

Speak for your self some days I have 3.83 cents in my pocket, 12 million is flush 😂 

13 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

Might be wife by then.  

I know there's alot of old farts on this board that haven't had an erection in 10+ years.

But think back when you were young.

Don't you all remember the power and passion of young love ?

Well do you ?

• Haha (+1) 2

22 minutes ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

Good for Josh not to add any years to his contract. 

I can see Josh bolting to California after 2026 to be with his girlfriend Hailee

If he doesn’t win a couple super bowls by then, he’s gone for sure. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

26 minutes ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

I can see Josh bolting to California after 2026 to be with his girlfriend Hailee

Interesting concept of Josh Bolting to California after 2026.  Maybe explain how he's getting out of the 2027 and 2028 portion of his current contract.......waiting with popcorn.....

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

In the case of someone like Allen, if his contract is paying him $56 mil next season, likely higher in 2026, would it be a bargain or at worst a wash for the Bills to just keep tagging him at least for a couple years. 

39 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Discover No Way GIF by ADWEEK

He’s already fed up. McD better get his house in order and stop capping his potential. It’s going to come down to McD or Allen, by then it’ll be too late. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

5 hours ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

Interesting.  Over the cap and sporttrac had a restructure getting us 23 mill in cap room.

It all depends how much of his base salary they agree to turn into a bonus. They could have agreed on a different amount. So it could've been up to 23 mil. Also could have been less than 16 mil. I hope that makes sense.