Allen restructured

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

17 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

Interesting.  Over the cap and sporttrac had a restructure getting us 23 mill in cap room.

Well, those rip-resistant pants ain’t cheap… Got to help him out somewhere!

• Haha (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Interesting.  I would have assumed we'd have saved more, but I guess that means we are under the cap now.  

Who's left at this point?  I would think only Oliver.  I don't want us to touch Diggs and kick the can down the road, unless he wants to give some money back like Knox and Von (doubtful).

I'm wondering when we give him a new overall deal though. He's well worth more than his deal.

I would expect a contract extension for Taron Johnson as well.  He's on the last year of his contract and has a current year cap hit over $12M. 

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Process said:

Interesting that they didn't take advantage of all of it.

I'm surprised as well.  Only because I expect them to rip this contract up next season and give Josh a raise.  He's due and it would negate any restructures already on the books.  

Just now, Brandon said:

I would expect a contract extension for Taron Johnson as well.  He's on the last year of his contract and has a current year cap hit over $12M. 

Very good point.  I forgot about him.  Oliver and TJ could probably save another 10 mil.  

Just now, boyst said:

Milano

Him too

3 minutes ago, Green Lightning said:

Not a lot of room. Cap is real. Not expecting any big signings.  Need a good draft and kids to step up. Going to be a rebuild year.

A retooling and shifting of some pieces, but not a rebuild by any means

3 minutes ago, stevestojan said:

Can someone explain the downside of this? Like why wouldn’t every team in cap trouble just restructure as signing bonuses? I know it’s a dumb question. But I don’t know the answer. 

The money saved this year is spread out over the remaining life of the contract (including this year).  The main downside is that it increases the cap hit in future years. 

Its possible to keep doing it every year as long as the amounts being pushed into future years are less than the annual salary cap increases. 

Edited by Brandon
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, UKBillFan said:

Every time I log out for a bit something Bills related happens. Dawkins, Davis, Floyd, AJE, Josh… maybe I ought to sign off again.

Beane does a lot of work after 8pm - check back at midnight!

I like what they did here.  Beane is thinking of the future, and maintaining competitiveness throughout the JA era.

And that's the right way to go, imo.  The more chances you have at bat, the more likely you are to get a hit.  Going all in for a year or 2 and then digging out of it never really appealed to me as a fan.

You could argue that we're kind of doing the latter right now - but this will still be a contending team in the fall.

1 minute ago, Brandon said:

The money saved this year is spread out over the remaining life of the contract.  It increases the cap hit in future years. 

Its possible to keep doing it every year as long as the amounts being pushed into future years are less than the annual salary cap increases. 

And what you don’t spend this year can be carried over. It makes no difference. Basically by not taking all of it tells me there’s a self imposed cash limit set by the owner. In other words the owner isn’t a blank check this year. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1