Rasul Douglas contract restructure... saves $2.5 mill

I would guess a conversion of base salary to bonus and a void year added.

Just now, BuffaloBillyG said:

Feels like they could have saved even more with an extension. 

I am betting he and the Bills couldn't come to an agreement this offseason on one.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

3 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Feels like they could have saved even more with an extension. 

This is what I thought would happen. And on top of that I don't get how a restructure changes the cap number for a player in the final year of his contract. 

Does this mean extension is off the table? Or can they still do that after the restructure?

I'm actually ok with this. Restructuring to save cap without committing long term may be the best move. Keep him around one more year than get younger and cheaper next offseason. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Process said:

Does this mean extension is off the table? Or can they still do that after the restructure?

I'm actually ok with this. Restructuring to save cap without committing long term may be the best move. Keep him around one more year than get younger and cheaper next offseason. 

They could still give him a contract extension as well.  I'm just glad they're keeping him. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

11 minutes ago, Mango said:

Can somebody explain to me how a restructure works in the last year of a players contract? 

Simply they are taking cap from this year and moving it to future years.

You can do this with base salary by turning it into a bonus payment. 

Im surprised they didn’t do an extension, but that can still happen.

• Agree 1

25 minutes ago, Mango said:

Can somebody explain to me how a restructure works in the last year of a players contract? 

Extend his contract so it goes a few years longer but they void when the new financial year starts, Brady did this with the Patriots tons of times to keep his cap figure lower. 

Edited by The Jokeman

13 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

I still say if the new DB coach feels he can get Elam up to speed, move Douglas to Safety.  Then do an extension at a safety rate of pay.

I say no chance of this happening 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Simply they are taking cap from this year and moving it to future years.

You can do this with base salary by turning it into a bonus payment. 

Im surprised they didn’t do an extension, but that can still happen.

So is it as much a restructure as it is adding a void year? I guess I am being pedantic. Still seems strange though. 

8 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

Re structure in the last year of his deal?

Would this mean void years added on potentially?

He's already got 3 void years on his contract.  They're likely just converting as much of his base salary to a bonus as possible and spreading that amount over 4 years instead of just 2024.

Just now, foreboding said:

I'd sure feel better if Rasul got a long term deal.

still a decent chance of that happening. That’s a much longer process and negotiation than just doing this simple restructure. Beane can just do it on his own.

6 minutes ago, foreboding said:

I'd sure feel better if Rasul got a long term deal.

He’ll be 30 on Aug 29. I had to look that up to know how I felt about extending. Should have some wear left on the tires. 

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

I say no chance of this happening 

Based on?  30 years old and that is usually a good time to make a transition to extend a CB's career.

The fact he want cut and he took a restructure, tells me something is happening.

I was pretty confident he would be back once the higher than expected cap numbers came out.  Couldn't see them getting rid of Douglas after what we paid to get him and also knowing that several secondary players were gone or likely to be gone in Hyde, Poyer, and Tre...2 of which are now officially gone (at least for now) and Tre still is a cap casualty candidate and still has question marks about what he will be like if he does stick after a 2nd serious leg injury.  

So stoked to see it looks like Douglas is here again at least this year given he was easily our best secondary player once he arrived.  

7 minutes ago, Augie said:

He’ll be 30 on Aug 29. I had to look that up to know how I felt about extending. Should have some wear left on the tires. 

If he gets an extension, you would assume that there would be no guaranteed money  past the end of 2025 .., giving them an out at that time.

There is no reason to assume he can’t contribute at 2023 levels for another 2 years … his age 30 and 31 years …

The question is about how much money he wants in his final big deal … Spotrac had him at $14m … that’s too much 

Edited by Aussie Joe
  • Agree 1

20 minutes ago, Mango said:

So is it as much a restructure as it is adding a void year? I guess I am being pedantic. Still seems strange though. 

It's really not. An extension for Douglas this Offseason never really made much sense unless you were getting out of White's contract.

If you're doing an extension for Douglas, you'd be committing to him as one of your starters long term. He's a Free Agent in a year and with his resume, his agent surely knows someone will pay him to be a Starter. So they wouldn't accept anything less from us to deny him testing his market in a year.

In Benford, we have a very good Starter who is developing and still has room for growth on a Round 6 Rookie Contract. You don't want to mess with that.

In White we have a perennial All Pro/Pro Bowler under a massive deal to Start. The injuries present concern as to whether he'll be able to be the same guy. But Beane probably doesn't want to close the door there without first seeing where he's at.

Extending Douglas now would have entrenched him as a Starter long term at the cost of either White or Benford starting before confirming whether White is done or not.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

Based on?  30 years old and that is usually a good time to make a transition to extend a CB's career.

The fact he want cut and he took a restructure, tells me something is happening.

We need to await further details about this “restructure “ ..: you might be going off early suggesting it’s a pay cut .  There was no mention of that as yet ..

My reasons the move to S won’t happen;

1. He was the best CB at the Bills after he got here last year 

2. Benford is an option first to move there 

3. I doubt Douglas would want to play a lesser market valued position as the clock is ticking on his career …he has to agree to it too … if the Bills don’t want to pay him too play CB then I’m sure another team will 

4. Safety market is oversupplied so they can get a proven FA on the cheap anyway … no need to move anyone there 

Edited by Aussie Joe
  • Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

We need to await further details about this “restructure “ ..: you might be going off early suggesting it’s a pay cut .  There was no mention of that as yet ..

My reasons it won’t happen;

3. I doubt Douglas would want to play a lesser market valued position ad the clock is ticking on his career …he has to agree to it too … if the Bills don’t want to pay him too play CB then I’m sure another team will 

4. Safety market is oversupplied so they can get a proven FA on the cheap anyway … no need to move anyone there 

I like it brother, good stuff. I'll add when we get our comp pick, I believe we will have 12 draft picks.  I don't see us keeping 3 5ths, 3 6ths and a 7th. But we will have them.

Edited by SoonerBillsFan
  • Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

My reasons it won’t happen;

3. I doubt Douglas would want to play a lesser market valued position ad the clock is ticking on his career …he has to agree to it too … if the Bills don’t want to pay him too play CB then I’m sure another team will 

We already know.

$3.5m was converted with 3 void years, creating $2.6m cap space this year and same dead cap in 2025...

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/rasul-douglas-21841/

Edited by No_Matter_What
  • Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

, I believe we will have 12 draft picks.  I don't see us keeping 3 5ths, 3 6ths and a 7th. But we will have them.

Depends on how many people Beane is planning on cutting! 

Definitely will be drafting a C now you would think 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Mango said:

It means they converted some of his salary into a signing bonus and added at least one void year. We are just deferring $2.5M of his cap hit to next season. Without seeing the details I would guess that they converted $5M of his salary into a signing bonus and added one void year. 

Edited by BarleyNY
  • Like (+1) 1